So, are you seeing anyone?

Options
1235»

Replies

• JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I, too, think you are perceiving it in a way that people aren't intending...
    Don't be offended that people want to be involved in your life =D

Yo! I know that these people who ask me mean well. What I'm saying is, the question is ANNOYING.
    I also never said I was offended. I said I was ANNOYED!
    (It's funny how people read into these posts. )
    I posted this topic to see if anyone else was annoyed by the question or if I'm the only one.
    Be that as it may, I very much appreciate your possible responses and might use a few! :D

I hear you.................I get annoyed when they don't take the time you comprehend the question. Or when people try to dictate how your suppose to feel...............according to them. wowwwwwwwwwwww
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I don't get that question much. Maybe because I'm young. I'll only get it from old friends, with whom I've talked about guys with, so it's expected, and I often ask them the same thing! But with a relative or a coworker, not so cool.
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Feminism has a long way to go-hopefully the next generation of women will be encouraged to be excited about personal acheivements, and not just about finding a romantic partner.

Wow! Yes!! I have found that especially the times when I am in a relationship and they ask me questions, I'd really rather talk about my studies or things I enjoy doing since I've moved away. I feel like these things are more about "me" than some expectation they (and society) have placed on me. My friends have always told me I'm a feminist at heart. :D Thanks for your insight!
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I'm a menist at heart..........
  • chauncyrenayCHANGED
    chauncyrenayCHANGED Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I'm a menist at heart..........

haha!!!
    I believe it.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I don't get asked that question a lot but when I do the person is usually trying to "talk" to me.

When I'm not feeling the person I just have six words:" That is none of your concern."
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I don't get asked that question a lot but when I do the person is usually trying to "talk" to me.

When I'm not feeling the person I just have six words:" That is none of your concern."

I can see you saying that too!
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    The wonders of facebook prevent me from having to answer this very much.

I also wear a wedding ring x
  • Effpcos
    Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get asked that, usually by much older men, my answer is "yes, my husband".

When we had our son, he was literally out for a few hours before I started getting "are you having anymore?", then once we had our daughter we got "oh one of each, I guess you're finished now".
    Then when we had our third child, a girl, we got either "you're not having anymore are you?" or "are you going to try for another boy to even things out?" (wtf?).
    THEN when I did get pregnant again with our fourth (another girl) we got "oh" and "Haven't you figured out how to stop making babies yet?".
    Now that we have five children (one boy, four girls) we either get "so when are you having another" or "are you trying again for another boy" (we never cared about gender to start with, we had such a hard time having children we were just over the moon it was a live baby).
    And now that our youngest is two (next month) I get "so when are you going back to work?".

Strangers/friends/family are full of inappropriate questions. I was in my OB's waiting room, pregnant with my fifth, and a woman also waiting asked "is this your first?", I replied "no, this will be my fifth child", and she says "oh wow, are they all the same father?" WTF?! "Um yes, they are all my husband's". I was very tempted to throw in a "I think so" "The third might be from the milkman" or "do you know who the father of your baby is?".
  • gym_king_carlie
    gym_king_carlie Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    for me it depends on the person and the way it is said, I find it more concerning when some one adds a ''yet'' to the end of the question, like I cant get a girlfriend (which is half true lol) but I sometimes find it abit unsensative, but thats just me
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    I always get "when are you going to have a baby?" :grumble:

I bet you could stop that with a quick retort of "I three already and I'm not ready for a fourth...".
  • coachblt
    coachblt Posts: 1,090
    Options
    Say what I tell them: "Not when I'm sleeping!"
  • LastMinuteMama
    LastMinuteMama Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Omgoodness, I have an aunt that would ask this question and she started when I was, I don't know, about 10 or 12 years old.

Every Thanksgiving, Christmas, Easter dinner, etc, "I would be asked if I had a boyfriend?, Did I like any boys at school?, Did any boys like me? It's ok if you don't, it's ok if you like girls..." And you'd have to imagine her asking like that little dog Chester would harp on Spike.

spike_chester.jpg

It was craziness. She was just excited, trying to make converstation and be "cool"

She asked lots of other ridiculously, embarrassing questions...if ever I start to do anything to embarrass my boys, my husband will tell me I'm acting like my Auntie Jane.

But to answer your question, No, it doesn't bother me, but then again, I haven't been asked in quite a while since I've been married for almost 13 years. I think the question is just people making conversation and I don't think they are attaching success to being in a relationship...I think people who have been in love and married their love just want the same for others in their live...it's exciting!
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I get asked alot of questions, but I am married, so the "seeing anyone" is out.

I am asked "so can you have babies now" which always rips my heart out.
    I am asked "what soes your sister think" - she is my sister, haha - she flew 2000 miles and ate 9 days of unpaid vaycay to be with me during surgery, bought me the best juicer you could get without going commercial, and conspires with my hubby to post pictures all over her FB :)

I am also told "I bet you wish your Mom could see" and yes I do...my Mom passed away a week after surgery and was not well (but not terminally ill, or so we had been told) before, so I had not even told her.

I get the personal barrier broken more - has anyone noticed this? Someone will rech out to touch my arm, or more inclined to lean across me to reach something on a table, if I have my hands full or busy talking (not just food, work or conferences, or crafts, anything)...
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Whenever some asks if "I'm seeing anyone," I look at them for a couple of seconds and then say "Not right now, no." They never get it.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options

I don't think you have to be "all bitter and jaded and negative" to not say "I'm happy being single".

There are so many mediums in life. Maybe I'm not "happy" being single, but maybe I'm not all bitter/jaded/negative.

Maybe I'm more interested in the right person for me, then a person. And that my friend, is not always the easiest thing to explain these days!

I second this! It is easy to say (for a woman at least) - and I've been saying it for the past 7 years... yes, I've been single for 7 years and so I think those that know me finally just stopped asking... I am looking for the right guy, not just any guy. I know that if I want any guy, I can stop in the bar on any given night and find someone there who is interested... not what I'm looking for, not by a long-shot!
  • LisaMarie8713
    Options
    I get the, so who are you seeing now? And I usually kinda giggle and say, "which one you wanna know about?":wink: