Creamers are killing me!! Substitute??

Options
Ugh - my flavored creamer use is out of control!! Uses quite a bit of daily calories. Any substitutes out there?? Powders better???

Replies

• superpapa16
    superpapa16 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone, but I slowly started cutting it back until I got to a point where I drink it black now.
  • ChristyU74
    ChristyU74 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat! Bumping for answers and ideas! :)
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I would suggest slowly diminishing the use of the creamers. Wean yourself off of them so to speak. Perhaps try flavored coffee?
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    unsweetened almond milk (15 calories for 1/2 cup) + Toli sugar free syrup (you can buy it at Walmart) any kind.
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I used to use a lot of creamer, too. I slowly began using less and less. I still use it, but in moderation.
    Opt for something fat-free or sugar-free. Try using regular milk, or even soy milk or whatever suits your fancy :)
  • kitty0767
    kitty0767 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    flavoured coffee with a bit of milk
  • tracymat
    tracymat Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    It's not for everyone, but I slowly started cutting it back until I got to a point where I drink it black now.

I did this too. Skim milk??
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Cut back to whole milk and Splenda and maybe vanilla extract... then go to skim milk. I like it with just a splash of skim and little or no sweetener now.
  • SyntonicGarden
    SyntonicGarden Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I either drink my tea black or sometimes I'll make a pot of it, throw 1/4 of extract (almond, vanilla, etc.) and use regular milk and stevia or a bit of honey if I need a bit of sweetness.
  • LiliWray
    LiliWray Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Add cinnamon to your coffee for a little extra flavor, too.
    Sometimes I'll put cinnamon right in the grounds while the coffee is brewing.
  • EACadmin
    EACadmin Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I use these items randomly in my coffee:
    1. sugar free creamer powder
    2. Almond Milk (unsweetened)
    3. protein powder (vanilla or chocolate)
    4. sugar free hot chocolate
  • stitchinhippie
    Options
    I would try a flavored coffee....then use whatever milk you want. Also, I have heard that coffeemate is coming out with more sugarfree flavors which are fewer calories than the regular ones.
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I use a "splash" of 2% milk and I measure out my creamer. 1 tbsp is like 35 calories. My favorite right now is sugar free coffee mate vanilla caramel. I also have been using coffee mate cafe mocha......delish. :wink:
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Oh and we buy different coffees.....Godiva Creme' Brulee', Godvia Chocolate Truffle, I think there was some pumpkin spice and some caramel something or other my husband recently picked up; no calories because it a flavor roasted into the bean.
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just switched to sugar free creamer. Instead of 35 calories in a tablespoon, there is 15.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    It's organic creamer from local New England farms in my house. We use the 'dust' only if we run out or if we're traveling (keep it in the pantry for emergencies).

A little splash of organic creamer only adds 20 calories (1/'2 of a tablespoon).

Why put chemicals or fillers in your morning coffee? One cup a coffee per day offers antioxidants and diabetes prevention. Why add crap to it?
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Weaning worked for me. And I loved my creamers. Once you can stand the taste of the black stuff, try Ethiopian coffee. It's really good. If it has to be white, try an unsweetened almond milk.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I use whole milk. I tried skim but it took 1/4 cup of skim vs. 1/8 cup of whole and the whole ended up less calories w/ better taste.
  • jaimejean478
    jaimejean478 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    The Sugar-Free versions are much lower in calories. I Have the CoffeeMate SF Peppermint Mocha right now, and 1 TBSP is 15 calories. Delish!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Try skim milk and the sugar free flavored syrups like they use at fancy coffee shops. You can find them in stores like Cost Plus World Market and even your local grocery store. There are literally dozens of flavors to choose from.