Creamers are killing me!! Substitute??

Options

Replies

• PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I switched to almond milk (23 cal, 2 oz) with a low calorie syrup (Torani Vanilla, 35 cal per tbsp).
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Ingredients in fat free half and half:

(yum, more corn syrup and more of that controversial thickening agent carrageenan!)

Carragennan is banned worldwide except in the US and Japan!

Ingredients: Skim Milk, Corn Syrup, Cream*, Contains less than 0.5% of the following: Carrageenan, Sodium Citrate, Dipotassium Phosphate, Mono and Diglycerides*, Vitamin A Palmitate, Color Added (Ingredient not in regular half & half).
  • Onesnap
    Options
    skim milk or fat free half&half and sugar free syrup, it comes in TONS of flavors!

and with TONS of things that are bad for you like Carrageenan and corn syrup!
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I add one tbsp of light hot chocolate mix 15 calories
    and one tbsp of fat free creamer 10 calories

Makes my coffee rich and creamy and delicious
  • cal_73
    cal_73 Posts: 77
    Options
    I've given up so many things I can not give up my half and half!
  • melsmith612
    melsmith612 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I cut back on the amount of coffee I drink from 2-3 cups/day to 1-2 cups/day (typically 1) and continue to use half & half or sugar free creamers (both liquid and powder). I find the powdered creamers color the coffee better for fewer calories but they don't really have the same flavor options as the liquid creamers.
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    unsweetened coconut milk - even better than soy, almond, or dairy. :) that's all i use in everything now - protein shakes, baking, etc. :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I've given up so many things I can not give up my half and half!

You are much much much better off with real half and half. Not the low fat, not the sugar free. With this one choice you are cutting things out like corn syrup, hydrogenated fats, and thickening agents.
  • Miss_Alishia
    Options
    I like flavored with a dab of milk or.... sugar free creamer is just as good an less calories :)
  • Onesnap
    Options
    I like flavored with a dab of milk or.... sugar free creamer is just as good an less calories :)

I posted above with this list but it's not just as good. It's filled with yucky things if you choose the sugar free:

INGREDIENTS: WATER, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED SOYBEAN AND/OR COTTONSEED OIL, AND LESS THAN 2% OF SODIUM CASEINATE (A MILK DERIVATIVE)**, MALTODEXTRIN, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, DIPOTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, COLOR ADDED, NATURAL & ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, CARAGEENAN, DEXTROSE, SUCRALOSE, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (NON-NUTRITIVE SWEETENER).
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    This must be an American thing, because I don't know anyone in England who uses creamers. We just use milk, or have it black! I have whole milk in my coffee as we buy that for our kids, and if i put skim in coffee I end up putting more in and the coffee goes cold.

If you buy a decent coffee, then you don't need added flavour.
  • Onesnap
    Options
    This must be an American thing, because I don't know anyone in England who uses creamers. We just use milk, or have it black! I have whole milk in my coffee as we buy that for our kids, and if i put skim in coffee I end up putting more in and the coffee goes cold.

Yes, it is a very sad American habit to add all sorts of things that are bad to you to that 1 cup/day of healthy beneficial coffee. (diabetes prevention, antioxidants). You are so much better off without the corn syrup, weird chemicals, and thickening agents that are found in the low fat and sugar free creamers here.

Organic half & half for me all the way.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options

TOTALLY agree! Fresh coffee doesn't need extra flavor. I lost 45lbs and I drank coffee with whole milk every day. Budget for the extra 50 calories, this one was easy for me to do
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options

Yes, it is a very sad American habit to add all sorts of things that are bad to you to that 1 cup/day of healthy beneficial coffee. (diabetes prevention, antioxidants). You are so much better off without the corn syrup, weird chemicals, and thickening agents that are found in the low fat and sugar free creamers here.

Organic half & half for me all the way.

My husband always checks ingredients for things like corn syrup. He's just having a rant now about stuff like that. He just said 'Americans are doomed food-wise'. I don't think you get it in as many things over here in the UK.

We buy a really nice instant coffee called Instinct, by Carte Noire, not sure if you can get that. I'm drinking one now, with a bit of whole milk. Surely the idea of drinking coffee is to get the taste of coffee.
  • 30Purple
    30Purple Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I try to buy just half and half (you can get fat free too, idk how that's made and I probably don't want to know!).

I only buy creamer when it's on sale and I've got a good coupon. lol.. save me some calories
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    My husband always checks ingredients for things like corn syrup. He's just having a rant now about stuff like that. He just said 'Americans are doomed food-wise'. I don't think you get it in as many things over here in the UK.

A few weeks ago my boyfriend came home having bought bread whose main ingredient was high fructose corn syrup. I *kitten* you not. Doomed indeed.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I use a teaspoon of dry creamer when I'm at home....10 calories, no sugar. At work I am worse and use the vanilla creamer, but considering I've dropped from over 6 sodas a day to 1-2 a week, I'll take this small indulgence. ;)
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    My husband bought several flavors of sugar-free syrup (Torani or DaVinci). He uses just enough half-and-half to lighten the coffee, and adds the syrup to taste.
  • Onesnap
    Options

We buy a really nice instant coffee called Instinct, by Carte Noire, not sure if you can get that. I'm drinking one now, with a bit of whole milk. Surely the idea of drinking coffee is to get the taste of coffee.

Ooh, that coffee sounds delightful. Thanks for the mention. I've never seen it but maybe at stores around here that sell things from the UK (I live near Boston, MA). :)

Also, yeah...he's right. We have been doomed for a while food wise. It's a daily effort to keep the nasties out!
  • Onesnap
    Options

A few weeks ago my boyfriend came home having bought bread whose main ingredient was high fructose corn syrup. I *kitten* you not. Doomed indeed.

Have you seen the documentary 'King Corn'? I loved it. Scientists tested the filmmakers hair and discovered it was made up of corn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: the bread with corn syrup...I can't buy bakery bread at particular grocery stores any longer. Even the types they 'bake fresh' have corn syrup as the primary ingredient.