The moment that made you SERIOUS about losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Two different doctors said to me about different ailments- "This is often caused by excess weight." One of them said, "You are on the verge of morbid obesity."

I want to be here to watch my grandson grow up!
  • mauryr
    mauryr Posts: 385
    Options
    It's a tie between
    a) When the doctor asked me if I wanted to live long enough to see my daughter's wedding
    and
    b)The moment when my (ex) wife served me with papers.

A one-two punch, for sure.
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    After several sets of horrible vacation pictures I decided that my weight was the issue... and not the camera! Hopefully one day I will get to travel to Italy again and replace all the pictures that I look fat in!
  • jeannicoleau
    jeannicoleau Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Went to the doctors for Yearly (ok it had been a few years) check up. When they did blood work said that I was pre-diabetic and had high cholesterol. Decided I didn't want to be on meds for the rest of my life.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    The day I gave birth...I weighed 298 lbs...........

Yea. Just no. Never again.
  • kendallblaire
    Options
    My "ah-ha" moment was when I finally woke up from a bout of depression, and stepped on the scale weighing 197lb. I wanted the easy way out, and wanted my doctor to perscribe me medicaiton to help lose weight. I had TRIED to do it myself before and it never worked. So, I made an appt, and he told me in that room, "when are you going to realize that you're just going to be a heavy girl". I hung my head in shame and thought maybe he was right. I left in tears, and thought, "fine, then I'll just gain so much weight that I can have gastric bypass". I woke up the next morning more determined then ever. I didn't want to be the fat girl anymore. I was 25, and single. I couldn't get a guy to notice me, and I was tired of living my life the way it was, so i made a change. One day at a time. A year later, I'm engaged, I'm 75 pounds lighter, and I want to go look my doctor (That has been my doctor since I was 11...) and tell him, "and you said I was ALWAYS going to be the heavy girl?" tell me I can't and I'll show you I can.
  • lljksilk
    Options
    I got pretty large at one point, but since I was able to draw in a skinny/cute g/f at the time it didn't really bother me. (Great personality I guess heh) but what got to me was a series of things.

1. I read an article in Men's Health around 2002 that is still floating around the net. Anyway, the article's author's father died due to a heart attack, and he wrote the article from the point of view of a man who wanted to be there for his children.
    2. In late 2005 I was shopping in Sam's club and decided to check out the blood pressure/heart rate monitor. I had extremely high blood pressure, and had a couple of instances where my eyesight was starting to get blurry. I figured I was very close to developing some sort of diabetes.

When #2 came around, I thought about the article I read in #1. It was at that point that I got serious. Went from 220lbs to 175lbs over the course of 6 months.
  • belin95
    belin95 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My wakeup call was yesterday when my husband saw pictures of Josie from Big Brother in her before pics in the daily mail. He said I look exactly like her with the celulite and all. I was devastated. I still am.:sad:
  • gillianrusted38
    Options
    I work in an elderly hospital ward. There are larger, older ladies there who we give personal care to. The rolls, the saggy skin, the"elephant legs" the comments that get made about these ladies. We have to get bariatric equipment in for the "fat" ones. I don't want to be one of those ladies that the ward talk about. Obv not in a nasty way as we are professionals but I just don't want to be one of "those" ladies.
    I want to be healthy and happy in my skin, wear clothes I like rather than cover me up the most.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    Mine is a little embarrassing.. but here goes...

After my back surgery I had gained about 40 lbs due to the Lyrica I had been on two years for the pain in my back. My husband kept telling me how unattractive I was and how little sex appeal I had.

We separated and divorced, and recently I was with a guy whom I really like a lot and am really attracted to... and once I was unclothed he got.... um.... unaroused.

That did it for me.
  • nascarbettie
    nascarbettie Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    My ah ha moment, was when the scale said 226 and I couldn't fit in my "fat" pants anymore. I wasn't able to paint my own toes without not being able to breath and couldn't hardly walk to my car after work without getting winded. I saw myself in pictures and was ashamed at how big I had gotten. I saw my sister who lost her life at 32 and I was on a fast pace at being her size. I had gained 60 lbs in a year and it was nothing's fault but mine. I didn't have a condition or an injury.

I was always thin growing up. The kids used to call me the flying nun when I was little, because I was so skinny. As a young adult I was always thin. My weight came on slowly, you don't really notice it then one day you look in the mirror and it's like... OMG where did this come from?
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    My pregnancy. Literally, even though i was planning the wedding and everything else, when i found out I was pregnant in May of 2011, i said "no more". I don't want to die young like my mom (she was 57) or my grandma (84). I also want to set a good example for my son. I went from 243 down to my current weight of 181.2, and am hoping to be 125!!!!!!
  • marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I was always super slim and could eat whatever I wanted etc. and I had become pretty sedentary and developed pretty mediocre eating habits. I had slowly put on 10-15 pounds and meanwhile I was really sniping at my husband that he needed to lose weight-eat better and exercise etc. I realized I needed to set a better example for him and my girls. I was very gratified that with MPF my weight came off very quickly and when I exercise I feel so much better....
  • AndreaGrace29
    AndreaGrace29 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I've been lingering in size 18 in Misses for a while, and once it was determined that I needed 20W's, that was ENOUGH for me.
  • philharris1984
    Options
    I was accepted onto a sports coaching course last month and 2 weeks ago our task was to 'coach' the rest of a class for 5 minutes, just to get a feel for the course. Well, the lecturer decided to film us all with a view to e-mailing us the results soon after. I felt my session went well, the content was good, and I was clear & concise. Then I got the e-mail, my head soon dropped, and I honestly felt shockingly bad. Until then I'd always shrugged it off, or felt that I could carry it, being fairly well built. **** that I thought, and here I am!
  • DixieStarr76
    Options
    There was no "OMG" moment when this journey first began in Oct. 2010. I left my ex-husband, and when I went to try on pants a few weeks later, the chick in Torrid was looking at me like I was crazy for pulling 20 when I was in a 16. I got down to a 10/12 and maintained that for almost a year before life slapped me. In May, I felt the weight coming back. Last week, I went to try on pants, and I was in a 16 again. That was it! I never exercised last time. I was working so much in a high activity job, so I never bothered. I didn't watch what I ate. I just didn't eat. So much was happening in my life that I couldn't worry about that. Last Tuesday, I started paying attention. I'm adding everything I eat and all of my exercise into the diaries, and I'm changing my lifestyle. I haven't eaten fast food or had soft drinks in two years. THAT was a choice I made before that stuck. I weighed in yesterday, and I'm 4 lbs down! I know it will not stay at that pace, but it was an awesome motivator. Feel free to add me as a friend. Good luck!!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Wow! good for you!

my moment was Cedar point....I had to take my son....and i didn't want to be "the fat mom" that couldn't fit on the rides with him. I was too big to give him piggy back rides...his legs couldn't fit around my fat back rolls....no way. I was not going to miss out on those wonderful mom moments of life because i coudln't put the fork down.
  • Nurturegirl
    Nurturegirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I took my daughter for her swimming lesson and struggled to bend over whilst seated poolside, to place plastic covers on my shoes because my boobs and tummy were in the way!! At that moment, I knew I had to do something about my excess weight to become a fit and healthy mum for the sake of my children.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    This is the first time I have tried posting a pic, but this is what knocked me into gear.

My hubby got me a ticket to go to American Idol on Tour- a VIP ticket, so I got to meet everyone and have pics taken. When I looked at the photos, I was disgusted. One of the sad photos here:

20120826_39_zpsc1a607cc.jpg

I was supposed to have these as good memories, but I was grossed out by them. My gigantic arms, and huge hips/thighs...
    That is when I got seriously serious.

(How do I post a pic???) HA! I GOT IT!
  • Off10h8ed
    Off10h8ed Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    When I started to have to hold my breath to bend over and tie my work shoes... That was enough for me.
    I am down almost 30 lbs and no longer have to hold my breath but I am no where near my goal of 130. I have 55 lbs to go and I will get there!