SAHM 1/18--1/24

Options
Welcome to the SAHM group! We are an open group. Join in anytime! We are very informal with no official weigh-in's or challenges--but we do continue to support and motivate one another. We understand the unique aspects of getting healthy AND taking care of our families at the same time.
So join the conversation! We'd love to hear from you! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• staceyw37
    staceyw37 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    put back on 1.4 #. i can see this is the new zone i will keep bumping around till i get consistent with food and exercise. at least i know what to do!

this week--i REALLY want to do my week of p90x hybrid schedule.
    also, mopping and bathrm's must get cleaned.

and that's all i'm aiming for at this point.
    come tell us what's new by you--and what you think you're going to focus on this week.
    amy,,,,shera,,,silver,,,jr.....are you girls still out there? we miss you!
  • staceyw37
    Options
    trish--quick Q. you once mentioned that oatmeal was high sodium. are you talking prepackaged oatmeal? cuz my plain quick oats have 0 sodium
    if you use that as your base, then you can sweeten it as you like with fruit or brown sugar or nuts.
    maybe you already knew this. i just was confused by what i thought you said awhile back.

later--
  • ractayjon
    ractayjon Posts: 365
    Options
    Im a SAHM to 4 wonderful children..cough, cough, cough - oh sorry I had a tickle there...no really...they are wonderful most of the time. My kids are 9,9 (yes, twins), 7 and 4...the 4 year old is definately the biggest challenge.
    The hardest part of all of this for me is the crazy schedule - basketball 4 night a week, wrestling 3 nights a week, all day sunday for wrestling tournaments and 1-2 basketball games on Saturday - that makes meals a hard thing to not do on the run!
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Welcome Ractayjon! Great group to get involved in! We just encourage each other along the way! Getting meals based on activities is super hard! I try to use my slaves--no not the children :) My crockpot mainly. If I can get something in early in the am then we are ready to roll with dinner by 5:30 & can be out the door by 6. Or if I am away until 7 or later at least there is something ready when we get home & I am less tempted to swing through a drive through some where.

I will try to post some recipes for the CP later--a great cook book is the Fix It & Forget it Series that is everywhere(I got mine at Sams).

HTH!

Kim
  • nikkia75
    Options
    Hi im a SAHM to four children,13, 11 and 3 and half year old twins, i also have a 14 year old step son. My two older children arw away during term time due to schooling. so we have them and my step son here during holidays. But the twins keep me busy enough!

I joined MFP a week ago because ive seen my weight gradually creep up and up since i had the twins and its time its stopped and went into reverse a little.

I bought myself a Wii last summer and the EA Active game, i used it for 6 weeks and lost a stone.....then i went on holiday and never got back into it again til now.

I do about 30-45 minutes on there 5 times a week (mon to fri while the twins are at nursery school) I dont drive so i do lots of walking too and when the weather improves (and my stamina) im going to start jogging.

I eat reasonibly healthily...my biggest problem is not eating enough i rarely used to have breakfast or lunch just pick on whatever the girls had left. but thats changed ive made a big effort and eaten at least 3 meals a day.

Now my problem is not being able to eat my exercise calories on top of the 1200 a day!

But on a plus side i have lost 4lb this week so im really pleased with that i want to lose around 30lb total hopefully by the summer.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Stacey, I was probably looking at the instant stuff in packs. I threw it all out since oatmeal gives me heartburn anyway, and the packets were expired.

ractayjon welcome to our group!

Goal today: Make an early dinner and get to the gym for the first time with hubs. Can't wait! Gonna see what I can do without the cold, dry air here interfering with my lungs.

Olive Garden leftovers for lunch today. Completely forgot I had that delicious fish in the fridge! Making a new recipe tonight. Very exciting. RATTLESNAKE PENNE! I'll let you know how it turns out. Sounds like an adventure, eh?
  • staceyw37
    Options
    REAL rattlesnake????

welcome rac and nikkia!
  • nicolee516
    nicolee516 Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    GM and welcome everyone! Today is another busy day. When isn't it when you are a SAHM? I really don't know when I had time to work!!!

I am pretty sleepy today, I am actually with my husband at his job today, since there is no school, so I am on his work coputer, SHHHHH!:tongueWe left the house at 4:30 this morning!:noway: I'm definitely not used to getting up that early!!!! I put chili in the crockpot for tonight for dinner.

I am looking forward to hear about the rattlesnake penne...hmmmmm...
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Stacey, you're funny. Real rattlesnake. I'd NEVER! The recipe is just called rattlesnake penne. It's made with whole grain, low sodium penne, chicken, baby spinach, jalapenos, and cream cheese. I found the recipe on sparkpeople.com

12 ounces chicken breast
    8 ounces Ronzoni Healthy Harvest Whole Wheat Penne
    2 cups baby spinach
    .25 cup Philadelphia One-Third Less Fat Cream Cheese
    .25 cup fat free sour cream
    2 tablespoons skim milk (I will be using almond milk)
    1 jalapeno pepper
    2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    2 tablespoons garlic powder
    2 teaspoons black pepper
    .5 tablespoon Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle blend (I probably won't use this)
  • curliegirl
    Options
    Brown Jug Soup from Fix it & Forget It Cookbook

10 1/2 oz can chicken broth(or water)
    4 chicken bouillon cubes(or not)
    1 qt water
    2 cups celery diced
    2 cups diced onions
    4 cups diced potatoes
    3 cups diced carrots
    10 oz frozen corn
    2 10 3/4 oz cans cream of chicken

Combine in slow cooker. Cover. Cook on Low for 10-12 hours or until vegies are tender. You can add cheese to this too but we never do.

This smells AWESOME when you walk in the door. It never fails to get a "That smells sooooo good" from hubby & kids. We usually have salad, rolls or bread with it. Easy & yummy! I often will prep the vegies the night before & put them in water in the frig. Then in the morning I just dump them in the CP add the soups and turn it on. By the way this makes a HUGE pot so you might want to make a half batch the first time around. Or do it as is and freeze 1/2 for next time.

By the way I have NO idea why it is called Brown Jug soup--that is straight out of the cookbook. Enjoy!

Kim
  • shera426
    shera426 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello awsome group of sahm :smile: I can't seem to get in a routine lately and it's been even harder to get on here and talk with some of my favorite people. I do have some exciting things to share though, I have had a lot of fun trying to be frugle and making things homemade. I just started making my own bread and i'm excited to say it turned out awsome. After reading the book master your metabolism by jillian michaels it gave me a whole new persepective on High Fructose corn syrup and what it does to your body.(among other things that are hidden in foods that your body really doesn't know what to do with)
    anyway, so the wheat bread i have been getting on WIC has corn syrup in it so my bread is great knowing i'm doing something healthy for myself and my family.
    I also made laundry detergent yesterday....yes you heard me..laundry detergent. Honestly I can't stand spending around $18 for a bottle of tide, so i came across this and thought what the heck i'll try it! SUPER EASY i'm not good with math but the initial cost was about $10 and per gallon I think it might be something like $1 a gallon!!! That makes 32 loads of laundry I can wash for a buck! So if anyone would like the recipe I would be happy to post it, i'm just so excited to do laundry just to see how it works out :laugh: one of my least favorite chores and now i want dirty clothes HAHA
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Shera, I'm so glad you're trying new things! Making bread is fun. Last night I made low sodium dinner rolls, that hubby & I really enjoyed (and Grace, too!)
    They were phenomenal with just a little butter.
    Wait till you try making pizza dough and stuff. It gives one such a huge sense of pride and accomplishment. Take that Sara Lee! Buying bread? Phhht! I'll make it myself, and it will be cheaper, taste better, and be healthier for me to boot!

So... anyone got a recipe for low sodium pumpernickle? It's my favorite. We were grocery shopping the other day and the bakery had a loaf out. It was like 500 sodium PER SLICE. I just held it in my arms, looking at it so longingly. Oh, my precious, how I've missed you!
    I MUST find away around this issue! I am resolved to do so.

Hey, Nicole, tell Francesca to check out Cartel on iTunes. Steve just found them and I am in love! They shound a little bit like We The Kings.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Shera- yes, I want that recipe and welsome.
    Trish- thanks for the recipe, my mouth is watering and I too though you were making it with reale rattlesnake until I read further.
    Stacey- good luck with you p90x. I have those dvds. My husband does them and they are awesome but they are still too hard for me. I think its the length of each workout that really deters me. I am impressed with anyone who can do them. Good for you

Me- I LOST 4 LBS!!!!! This was the motivation I need because its the 3rd week of every plan that will make or break me. I either through my hands up and eat a pizza or I continue and I want to continue! I am adding strength training in and biggest loser yoga in as well. I have a mom's night in tonight with my moms group so temptations will be everywhere but my plan is to not give in. I will allow myself to taste things but not graze. They are demanding my famous pinacoladas and I am glad I am breast feeding bc I am not having any.

Welcome to all new SAHM's and I hope we all have an on track day!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Erica, that's fantastic, hon! Some tips for tonight:
    Eat your dinner before hand. Make sure you get to your goal of water for the day beforehand, and then keep MORE water on hand for everybody. Also, here's your biggest weapon: Go run out & treat yourself to a pack of gum. Especially a minty one. Mint gum + anything pretty much equals BLECH!
    My favorite brand is 5 Gum. Their Solstice flavor is pretty awesome, but Zing is great for curbing your sweet tooth & resisting that chocolate cheesecake in the fridge, kwim? ;)
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU SO MUCH Trish! I never thought about the gum thing, you are sooooo right. I will be popping my orbitz tonight. I hit my water easily everyday, I have to drink a minimum of a gallon to keep my milk supply up. Drinking through a straw makes it so much easier. I am definitely eating dinner before I go too. I will not go there tonight hungry. Thanks for the support!
  • Silver_Dream
    Silver_Dream Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies, I missed about 2 whole threads!! I'm so sorry! I have been a little distracted.

Ladies, I think I have a problem! Well last month and this month I was a day to 4 days late for my period, but I got it, so I thought I was safe. I have it now, actually. But on the safe side I took a test yesterday and I checked it later in the day and I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me, there was a FAINT FAINT FAINT line and I was like "no, it's probably just the light." so I took another one this morning and well... this time there is aline, but its FAINT FAINT. But a line is a line, right? Well I texted Shane about taking me to the dr's. So. I'm waiting to hear back from him. so I can make an appointment for wednesday. I don't know what to do!! With my Paragard IUD this shouldnt' be possible. So I'm not sure what to do . And lately I've been thinking of breaking up with Will. What to do, what to do?
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Talk to your doctor, find out what's going on, and then go from there. Everything will work out :)
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    Thanks Trish, I know I have my period and it's possible that I"m miscarrying, but I want to go get tested to be sure. I'm gonna test again at home thursday morning to see if it still comes up positive my period should be gone by then.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    I don't think periods say a whole lot in the way of pregnancy. My mom had regular periods all 9 months she was pregnant with me. They thought I was a tumor! LOL
  • Silver_Dream
    Options
    I have an appointment friday at 9am. I'm gonna retest thursday morning to be on the safe side.