Replies

• Serena272
    Serena272 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Tanya949
    Tanya949 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I started MFP a month ago and followed the 1990 calorie goal suggestion, and lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks. Just over a week ago I switched to eating TDEE - 20%. I am now eating 2185 cals a day and lost 3.4 lbs, 1.5"off my hips and 1" off my waist in ONE week. This way works best for me.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options
    Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) 1,994

Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE) 3,502

Total Daily Eating Goal (TDEG) 2,855

Average Daily Deficit Calories 647

i have tried the eating more and still doing my same workouts (at the gym 7 days a week with two of those days as cardio [lee lebrada 12 week fat loss workout on bodybuilding.com])

when i ate more calories (2200) i put weight back on, from 232 to 250. i cut back to 1600-1800 cals a day and have started losing again.

when doing the tdeg method have you (anyone) gained weight at first or results instantly?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Jerry, were you eating below your BMR for a long time? If so, the weight gain when you increased could be expected. You may need to do a longer gradual increase in calories so your body adjusts.

Next question is to just double check the obvious, do you weigh/measure/log everything and know for sure your calories are accurate?
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    i will say my calories are maybe off by 100 per day at most (i weigh my lunch and breakfast every morning, as well as my salad and shake i (drink) eat for dinner.

I have heybales spreadsheet from here on MFP

I use a fitbit flex and accordingly my average TDEE for last month is 3322 and i ate on average 1768 which is about 55% of what i burned.

going by TDEG, i should drop 25% of my TDEE (a net of 2491) and i should start to see even more of a weight loss, correct?
  • deksgrl
    Options
    i will say my calories are maybe off by 100 per day at most (i weigh my lunch and breakfast every morning, as well as my salad and shake i (drink) eat for dinner.

I have heybales spreadsheet from here on MFP

I use a fitbit flex and accordingly my average TDEE for last month is 3322 and i ate on average 1768 which is about 55% of what i burned.

going by TDEG, i should drop 25% of my TDEE (a net of 2491) and i should start to see even more of a weight loss, correct?

That math looks correct. (the spreadsheet is great, I use it too) But where you say a NET of 2491.... this would be total calories, not net in the sense that MFP uses it as MFP directed calories + exercise calories = Net. You would eat 2491 and that would include what you need for exercise.

That should give you a loss of 1.5 + pounds per week.

If you have been eating 1700-1800 for awhile, I would gradually increase to the 2500 by 100 calories a week instead of immediately jumping up to that level.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    ok, im going to shoot for 2000-2100 per day. thats about 2000+ more than the past few days so we will see, maybe go up to 2200 by two weeks
  • Serena272
    Serena272 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Can I ask what method you use a scooby offers a few and what one do you think is best to use.x
  • deksgrl
    Options
    Can I ask what method you use a scooby offers a few and what one do you think is best to use.x

He was using a custom spreadsheet, and his Fitbit readings to determine his TDEE.

The differences in TDEE calculators are because there are several different formulas that BMR is calculated at. Mifflin St. Jeor tends to give lower numbers, this is the one MFP uses. Then there is the Harris Benedict formula, and Katch McCardle. KC is said to be most accurate because it uses your body fat % in its calculation (most accurate for non obese people).
  • Jerrypeoples
    Options
    i also went to the University of Pitt and had my BMR tested and it was at 2023 (i believe that it was) and they take your BF measurements. (32%)
  • ccb2004
    ccb2004 Posts: 16
    Options
    I am 5'2" and current weight is 119. I started out at 142 pounds. Began with eating 1400 calories and lost 18 pounds in 4 months. After that I plateaued for about 4 months at 126. Upped my calories to 1600 and dropped another 3 pounds fairly quickly then stalled out at 122 for several months. My fitbit says I consistently burn 2300-2400 calories a day so i decided to up my calories again to 2000. Lost 4 pounds in 3 weeks eating 2000 calories a day. Hooray for eating more food!!
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I keep reading and reading about BMR and TDEE and alas, I am still confused.

According to this link http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, these are my stats:

Wt: 165
    Activity level: 5 days/wk
    BMR: 1308
    TDEE: 1913

So I subtract 20% from the 1913 tdee#, which gives me: 1530 and that's the number of cals I aim to eat, per day, in order to lose weight (looking for a lb/wk). If I burn 500 cals exercising then good for me but don't eat any more than 1530 cals. Right.

With the MFP method, I eat my BMR plus half of my exercise cals back. Is that right? So for today: bmr is 1308, I burned 500 exercising. So do I eat 1558 (1308 + 250 - half my exercise cals) total today?

Ok, so see I suck at anything involving math. 1530 or 1558 .... I round things, 1550 works. What confuses me is: is that 1550 number net cals? omG, I'm derping and just not getting this.
  • deksgrl
    Options
    TDEE Includes exercise, so you do not add more when you exercise.

MFP does not include exercise so you do eat more when you exercise.

A properly set TDEE-% goal should be about the same as a properly set MFP + exercise calories goal.

So yeah, eat around 1500 something Total calories and you are good to go.
  • looseseal
    Options

A properly set TDEE-% goal should be about the same as a properly set MFP + exercise calories goal.

Thank you!

If using MFP that 1500 number is net cals, right? (just so I'm understanding it correctly).

Since I burn different amt of cals/day from exercise, I'd rather 'eat back' some of those cals.
  • deksgrl
    Options

Thank you!

If using MPF that 1500 number is net cals, right?

Since I burn different amt of cals/day from exercise, I'd rather 'eat back' some of those cals.

Yes. You would eat your MFP allotted calories plus some more for exercise for Net calories. Eating half back is a good plan since many people say the exercise database is inflated. And that was pretty consistent with the TDEE-% amount of calories compared to the example you gave. See how it goes, if you are losing a bit more than the expected rate, you could eat a bit more, or adjust the other way if necessary.
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    This is the 6th week I've been doing MFP. I'm 22 years old, 143 lbs, 5'4. I started out at 150 and lost 7 pounds using MFP's recommended 1200 calories while eating back the burned calories. But then the past 2-3 weeks I've been stuck between 144-142 lbs. So I decided it's time for a change and researched more about the TDEE/BMR method..

My TDEE is 2276
    My BMR is 1468.
    My TDEE includes 3-5 exercise days (I run, strength train, and do aerobics videos)

So yes I understand the 1200 calories I was eating on rest days was too low. I have set my new calorie goal to 1616.

So then my husband decided since I've been losing, he wants to diet also. So I figured out his TDEE and BMR and its extremely high. He is 5'7 and 250 lbs. I understand that for bigger sized people it takes more energy/fuel to do daily activities and will go down as he loses, but when I told him how many calories he should be doing, he got very confused.

My question for you guys is, is there anyone out there that is willing to share their story about using the TDEE/BMR method and how much did you lose in what amount of period? I understand "slow and steady wins the race, this is a lifestyle not a fad, etc." Should I watch out for weight gain the first few weeks or will I start losing the first week? I just want your experiences and what to expect. I don't want to lose muscle that I've been gaining with running and weight lifting, so I think this might work for me.

My calculated TDEE is about 2700 as a 6' tall 180 pound guy. I've been losing a pretty steady 1 pound a week and I probably average about 2100 calories a day.

Honestly the calories you are supposed to eat to maintain your weight only sound high because before when you aren't counting calories you don't realize how much you are taking in, often 3000+ calories.
  • looseseal
    Options

Thank you!

If using MPF that 1500 number is net cals, right?

Yes. You would eat your MFP allotted calories plus some more for exercise for Net calories. Eating half back is a good plan since many people say the exercise database is inflated. And that was pretty consistent with the TDEE-% amount of calories compared to the example you gave. See how it goes, if you are losing a bit more than the expected rate, you could eat a bit more, or adjust the other way if necessary.

Thank you, I really appreciate your help!
  • looseseal
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm going to anyway . . . .

Net calories is where my confusion lies.

Ex:

BMR: 1350
    Cals consumed yesterday: 1550
    Cals burned yesterday: 500

Net cals yesterday: 1050

Are my net cals suppose to be a certain number? If so, what number, my bmr? So that would mean that I would eat back all my exercise cals? Or do I just need to look at total number of cals consumed? I'm asking because I'm stalled for the past two weeks, neither gaining nor losing, but my net cals were under my budgeted cals (BMR), just like yesterday. That's with 5 days/wk of exercise with cal burns ranging from 300 to 600, eating adjusting accordingly.

Thanks.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm going to anyway . . . .

Net calories is where my confusion lies.

Ex:

BMR: 1350
    Cals consumed yesterday: 1550
    Cals burned yesterday: 500

Net cals yesterday: 1050

Are my net cals suppose to be a certain number? If so, what number, my bmr? So that would mean that I would eat back all my exercise cals? Or do I just need to look at total number of cals consumed? I'm asking because I'm stalled for the past two weeks, neither gaining nor losing, but my net cals were under my budgeted cals (BMR), just like yesterday. That's with 5 days/wk of exercise with cal burns ranging from 300 to 600, eating adjusting accordingly.

Thanks.

Assuming you are logging accurately (using a food scale, not using generic database entries, entering your own recipes, choosing the usda database entries, etc) and assuming that your calorie burns are reasonably accurate, you should net your goal. So if your goal is 1350 and you burn 500, you'd eat 1850.

However, both of those are big assumptions. For myself, the MFP calorie burns have always been pretty close but many people find them to be inaccurate. And most people are probably eating more than they think they are eating (either not using a scale, taking days off, eating out a lot, or choosing inaccurate database entries) so it gets sticky there too.

The best thing to do imo is to track your personal results over a one month time period (at least). 2 weeks isn't enough time, especially if you're female because hormonal changes will cause water weight fluctuations. Then adjust based on that month's results.
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    Well this is all good news. I only have a few more vanity pounds to lose and just switched to the TDEE method. I didn't raise my calories quite as high as I could just yet because I have been eating very very low, too low, calories for a long time so I want to increase them slowly. My numbers are as follows:

BMR: 1178
    TDEE: 1619
    Set at a 25% cut: 1295

I set the numbers for 3 to 4 workouts per week but my workouts are usually around six days per week and include everyday cardio and mixed - boxing, weights, strength training and dance. So I am burning a lot more than my numbers reflect but wanted to be on the safe side.

I do not eat back the exercise calories, just eat up to the 129.

I also chose low carb for my macro's and I like the percentages, but I am also trying to stay under the percentage of fat that is recommended... just because I have a thing about fat.

Anyway, I just did this yesterday so I have no results yet but I'll certainly report back in several days.
    I just hope I have set this up right :)