Your results from the TDEE/BMR method?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm going to anyway . . . .

Net calories is where my confusion lies.

Ex:

BMR: 1350
    Cals consumed yesterday: 1550
    Cals burned yesterday: 500

Net cals yesterday: 1050

Are my net cals suppose to be a certain number? If so, what number, my bmr? So that would mean that I would eat back all my exercise cals? Or do I just need to look at total number of cals consumed? I'm asking because I'm stalled for the past two weeks, neither gaining nor losing, but my net cals were under my budgeted cals (BMR), just like yesterday. That's with 5 days/wk of exercise with cal burns ranging from 300 to 600, eating adjusting accordingly.

Thanks.

Assuming you are logging accurately (using a food scale, not using generic database entries, entering your own recipes, choosing the usda database entries, etc) and assuming that your calorie burns are reasonably accurate, you should net your goal. So if your goal is 1350 and you burn 500, you'd eat 1850.

However, both of those are big assumptions. For myself, the MFP calorie burns have always been pretty close but many people find them to be inaccurate. And most people are probably eating more than they think they are eating (either not using a scale, taking days off, eating out a lot, or choosing inaccurate database entries) so it gets sticky there too.

The best thing to do imo is to track your personal results over a one month time period (at least). 2 weeks isn't enough time, especially if you're female because hormonal changes will cause water weight fluctuations. Then adjust based on that month's results.

Thank you for this. The bolded, above .... seems so counter-intuitive to me. My head can't quite grasp that it seems like a lot of cals to eat to lose weight. I rarely eat out, am accurate with recording my food, and usually low-ball exercise cals. Last week, with the exception of one day where I was over budget by 50 cals, I was under budget with some days being really under budget. It's frustrating when you're on plan and working out and that damn scale just doesn't budge. And no, not losing inches either . . . just staying the same. Blarg.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    mark for further reading...
  • bamabutterfly83
    bamabutterfly83 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    So occasionally I like to play with the various calculators for BMR ...with my current stats I am getting a BMR calculation between 1375 and 1500...How accurate are these things? I want to be sure I'm eating the right number of calories to keep the weight coming off and not go too low.

Stats: 5ft 2in 163lbs 31yo

Any help is appreciated...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Never mind, this thread is 2+ years old
  • rodduz
    rodduz Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Few people on here 'eating back' used calories during exercise! You DO NOT eat those calories back! They're accounted for when calculating your TDEE. Do not eat them back.

I use MFP but do not even log the exercises that I do, no need really.

Calculate your TDEE, eat 20% less than that every day of the week. Train at the level you input and you'll lose weight. DO NOT eat back burnt cals as you'll never lose weight!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Few people on here 'eating back' used calories during exercise! You DO NOT eat those calories back! They're accounted for when calculating your TDEE. Do not eat them back.

Calculate your TDEE, eat 20% less than that every day of the week. Train at the level you input and you'll lose weight. DO NOT eat back burnt cals as you'll never lose weight!

Yes that's correct. Sorry if not clear-- TDEE method and MFP use completely different methods. Pick one, don't try to do both.
  • looseseal
    Options

Thank you.

MFP BMR plus eating back half of my exercise cals = approx 1550

TDEE - 20% = approx 1500

I'm aiming for 1500 cals/day, exercise cals burned on top of that deficit is a bonus.

I'm ignoring the whole "net calorie" thing ... I find it way too confusing.

Again, thanks.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Thank you.

TDEE - 20% = approx 1500

I'm aiming for 1500 cals/day, exercise cals burned on top of that deficit is a bonus.

Again, thanks.

Ohh I misunderstood-- didn't you say above that you wanted to eat back exercise calories?

Now *I'm* confused.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I'm using TDEE -15% - I chose 3-5 hours of moderate exercise as my activity level. I do stronglifts 5x5 MWF (with some supplemental exercises: back extensions, pull ups, leg press, calf raises) and get in 30 minutes of cardio every Sunday.

BMR: 1465
    TDEE: 2271
    TDEE-15%: 1930 to lose .7 lb per week

I have been going over my calories quite a bit recently, but I figure what's the worst that can happen? I gain some muscle?

I have dropped a jeans size in the past 3 weeks but only lost 1(ish) pound.
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Once you've calculated your numbers (for me it will be TDEE -20%) and put them into the custom goals for MFP, do you change the fitness goals in MFP as well? Right now mine is set to 0 workouts per week, since my activity level is already factored in to my calorie goal. Is this correct? All these numbers have me confused. I thought I had it figured out but now I'm not so sure!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

It doesn't matter what you put in for fitness goals. MFP doesn't actually calculate any calories burned until you do it. I log my exercise for motivation only and put in 1 calorie burned so it doesn't significantly change my net calorie goal.

^ This!
  • ccam99
    ccam99 Posts: 119 Member
    Options

Thank you.

TDEE - 20% = approx 1500

Again, thanks.

You are almost identical to me (age, weight, exercise). I have MFP set to 1500 calories. I have my Macros set to Protein 45%, Carb - 30% and Fat - 25%. If you don't know this, you can override all of MFP settings in your setup to the %'s you want. I do log exercise but just to track my workouts. I enter exercise calories at "1" when I do this so it does not affect my 1500 calories. I do not eat back my calories burned during workouts because I want to lose weight. If you log your exercise don't forget to change the calories or it will add them back in for you to eat. As you lose or don't lose you can adjust your Macro's up and down and see what gets you going again. You should not reduce your calories because you workout. If anything based on everyone else's comments you might increase them.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    I keep reading and reading about BMR and TDEE and alas, I am still confused.

According to this link http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/, these are my stats:

Wt: 165
    Activity level: 5 days/wk
    BMR: 1308
    TDEE: 1913

So I subtract 20% from the 1913 tdee#, which gives me: 1530 and that's the number of cals I aim to eat, per day, in order to lose weight (looking for a lb/wk). If I burn 500 cals exercising then good for me but don't eat any more than 1530 cals. Right.

With the MFP method, I eat my BMR plus half of my exercise cals back. Is that right? So for today: bmr is 1308, I burned 500 exercising. So do I eat 1558 (1308 + 250 - half my exercise cals) total today?

Ok, so see I suck at anything involving math. 1530 or 1558 .... I round things, 1550 works. What confuses me is: is that 1550 number net cals? omG, I'm derping and just not getting this.

This is my understanding as well...but really that 20 some calories makes no difference...
  • looseseal
    Options

Thank you.

TDEE - 20% = approx 1500

Again, thanks.

Ohh I misunderstood-- didn't you say above that you wanted to eat back exercise calories?

Now *I'm* confused.

I did ... I do. Then someone else says don't. Ack!

From everything that I've read, the number of consumed cals: MFP plus eating back half your exercise cals ends up being pretty much the same as TDEE -20%, for me that number is approx 1500 cals/day. If I have a day or two where I don't exercise, drop the cals down to 1350. Well, at least that's how I'm figuring it. The whole "net calorie" thing just completely confuses me. I can't see eating back all my exercise cals in order to have my "net" cals equal my BMR #. If I eat 1500 cals/day that's an amount which gives me a deficit to lose just under 1 lb/wk, then I exercise to bump that deficit to just over 1 1lb/wk. That's the theory anyway! I'm just in a two week stall and thought I was eating too little ... or too much so needed clarification.

On the non-confusing side, I just bought some Bocca Burgers and had one in a low carb wrap with some veggies and lite ranch dressing. Very tasty!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

Thank you.

TDEE - 20% = approx 1500

Again, thanks.

Now *I'm* confused.

From everything that I've read, the number of consumed cals: MFP plus eating back half your exercise cals ends up being pretty much the same as TDEE -20%, for me that number is approx 1500 cals/day. If I have a day or two where I don't exercise, drop the cals down to 1350. Well, at least that's how I'm figuring it. The whole "net calorie" thing just completely confuses me. I can't see eating back all my exercise cals in order to have my "net" cals equal my BMR #. If I eat 1500 cals/day that's an amount which gives me a deficit to lose just under 1 lb/wk, then I exercise to bump that deficit to just over 1 1lb/wk. That's the theory anyway! I'm just in a two week stall and thought I was eating too little ... or too much so needed clarification.

On the non-confusing side, I just bought some Bocca Burgers and had one in a low carb wrap with some veggies and lite ranch dressing. Very tasty!

Okay I mean this in the kindest way possible. Just pick one. Either one. Doesn't matter. Stick with that for 4 weeks without deviating. Don't do TDEE method except on non exercise days-- that's not how TDEE method works. If you're doing TDEE method then you eat the same amount every day regardless.

After 4 weeks, look at your progress. Did you gain weight? If so, lower calories a bit. Did you lose weight? Great. Keep doing that. Did you maintain? Great, lower calories a little bit. Do the new calorie level for 4 weeks. Lather, rinse, repeat. :flowerforyou:
  • looseseal
    Options

Thank you.

TDEE - 20% = approx 1500

Again, thanks.

Now *I'm* confused.

Okay I mean this in the kindest way possible. Just pick one. Either one. Doesn't matter. Stick with that for 4 weeks without deviating. Don't do TDEE method except on non exercise days-- that's not how TDEE method works. If you're doing TDEE method then you eat the same amount every day regardless.

After 4 weeks, look at your progress. Did you gain weight? If so, lower calories a bit. Did you lose weight? Great. Keep doing that. Did you maintain? Great, lower calories a little bit. Do the new calorie level for 4 weeks. Lather, rinse, repeat. :flowerforyou:

Was unaware of this.

Thanks, appreciate it.

Nice flowers. :smile:
  • Pretty_Little_Loser
    Pretty_Little_Loser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
  • starsky84
    starsky84 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone!
    Sorry, i know everyone has TDEE/BMR up to their eyeballs!!
    Just to be sure, i wont baffle you all with my stats but say, on a Friday, I dont work out - do I still eat my TDEE minus 20%?
    I put my activity as moderate as I work out 6 times a week.
    See below:
    Monday - Morning run - 200 cals
    Tuesday - Body Burn class - 600 cals
    Wednesday - Morning run - 200 cals
    - Bikram Yoga - 300 cals
    Thursday - Body Burn class - 600 cals
    Friday - no exercise
    Saturday - Body Burn class - 600 cals
    Sunday - No exercise

My BMR is 1485
    My TDEE is 2237

TDEE minus 20% is 1790

So on a Friday and Sunday should I just eat my BMR calories? 1485? and only eat 1790 the days im working out?

Thanks everyone!