Options

Replies

• MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    You sir, are getting a friend request. :laugh:

I will accept happily.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    ROFLLLLLLLL, I love it!!! Yes I agree all bones are the same size I just happen to have unusually large thigh meat wrapped around my bones. LOLOLOL I am so glad my bones arent big cuz how the hek could one change their bone size...LOLOL that is funny!!!!

:smile:
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    A doctor once told me I had a heavy frame - I asked him how on earth he could possibly know that seeing as my "heavy" frame was being suffocated under all that fat!!
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    It appears that no one runs in your family so that theory is wrong.
    ^^
    OMG :laugh: no wonder she laughed, I just snorted water over the screen at that. So true though, being a "bigboned" girl myself, I finally bit the bullet and no more excuses! That's why I am here
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Well.. some people's bones ARE bigger than others(frame size) and some people are more susceptible to weight gain due to genetics, hormones, muscle fiber type etc. That was a pretty insensitive thing to say if you ask me. I do agree with you that people use that excuse much too loosely and often when really they need to make a lifestyle change and learn to eat right, but I also think some people have a harder time than others with their weight and it's not our place to judge.

'Big Boned' is just an expression. Frame size, height genetics have nothing to do with bone size. Some people do have a harder time but it has NOTHING to do with their bones. All the other items you listed yes, but their bones no and I believe that is all he was referring too, which is why the lady had to laugh at the notion her self.

Well said.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    You're crazy lol....what is spin class

Indoor cycling class. You should join me someday when you can drive to college park or Camp Creek. Ill ride next to you.
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Well.. some people's bones ARE bigger than others(frame size) and some people are more susceptible to weight gain due to genetics, hormones, muscle fiber type etc. That was a pretty insensitive thing to say if you ask me. I do agree with you that people use that excuse much too loosely and often when really they need to make a lifestyle change and learn to eat right, but I also think some people have a harder time than others with their weight and it's not our place to judge.

'Big Boned' is just an expression. Frame size, height genetics have nothing to do with bone size. Some people do have a harder time but it has NOTHING to do with their bones. All the other items you listed yes, but their bones no and I believe that is all he was referring too, which is why the lady had to laugh at the notion her self.

Sorry to tell you but bones do come in different sizes, and this is what determines frame size. Bone 'size' or frame size is usually determined by measuring wrist size, because this is the area of the body with the least amount of fat coverage, so the bone size can be most accurately measured. Have you ever seen a height/weight chart? It is calculated for 3 different categories based on frame or "bone size".

That said, many people do try to pass off being overweight as being big boned, but they are definitely not the same thing, and having larger bones does not mean you have to be overweight.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Wow. Glad you didn't get smacked in the face! Ouch! Seriously though, I know what you mean about the whole big bone thing buuuuttt. There is a range. For my height I can be something like 140 lbs or 104 lbs and still be considered a healthy BMI. Im just pointing out that there is a pretty wide range of healthy. Im in the middle, pretty happy with it and cant imagine nor would I want to weigh 104. but i would feel overweight if I was at 140.

Thos are interesting numbers but Im waiting for your point. Topic is Big Bones.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Well to be fair, some people do have a bigger frame. I'm not one of them. I'm just fat (no excuses.) My twin sister--fraternal twin-- is 6'2.5, very tall for a woman. And she does have a big frame. She's normal weight but muscular and stocky. Her hands are big enough to palm a basketball. She has broader shoulders, etc. Some of her bones are bigger than mine, say the femurs, for example. It's not an excuse to be fat. But her skelton is bigger. If anything, she carries weight better than someone short. When she weighed 165-170 she looked practically anorexic, at a foot shorter she'd look overweight.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    My rant....people who make excuses for being rude. Yes denial is a reality but so are people who are rude for no reason. There is more than one way to say something and you chose to be rude and on top of that you think its funny. I say being nice and honest is better. Over weight people experience enough rudeness from the world. I am sure she might have laughed in your presence....(denial) but I would bet your comments adding about another 500 calories to her caloric intake for the day (emotional eating).

Well she can eat those extra 500 calories and get her "Big Boned" *kitten* back in the gym.
  • lowm8nance
    lowm8nance Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Amazing how when someone decides to lose fat their bones become smaller, Hmmm...
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    This needed to be said! And yes, some people have medical issues, I get that, but most of the time it's excuses.

Right!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    This rant is right up my alley. I've been tall and curvy for as long as I can remember. I'm also very tough. So as I got fatter other people would try to make me feel better by saying I had "big bones." I would try to argue. "No I dont." They just say "dont be so hard on yourself" while I got fatter and fatter LOL I guess if you're tall and tough you MUST have big bones? WTF Anyway, I have used every measurement guide under the sun and it has been confirmed that I have a medium frame. Totally average bones.

So Mike would you please tell my family and friends that I'm NOT big boned? Big bones is just an excuse and it's certainly not one that I've ever used. I was simply lazy and liked to eat more than my share.

Big bones :grumble: :grumble: :grumble:

Lol message me the number ill call them
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    A doctor once told me I had a heavy frame - I asked him how on earth he could possibly know that seeing as my "heavy" frame was being suffocated under all that fat!!

LMAO :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    It appears that no one runs in your family so that theory is wrong.
    ^^
    OMG :laugh: no wonder she laughed, I just snorted water over the screen at that. So true though, being a "bigboned" girl myself, I finally bit the bullet and no more excuses! That's why I am here

Way to go!! Glad to have you here!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

Sorry to tell you but bones do come in different sizes, and this is what determines frame size. Bone 'size' or frame size is usually determined by measuring wrist size, because this is the area of the body with the least amount of fat coverage, so the bone size can be most accurately measured. Have you ever seen a height/weight chart? It is calculated for 3 different categories based on frame or "bone size".

That said, many people do try to pass off being overweight as being big boned, but they are definitely not the same thing, and having larger bones does not mean you have to be overweight.

She overweight no matterwhat her bones indicate.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Amazing how when someone decides to lose fat their bones become smaller, Hmmm...

Exactly but there is one bone that grows on males. (Personal experience) Not sure if it is really a bone. *Goes to google*
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Glad she took it well... Of course there are three basic frame sizes... (Mine is medium)... However, really the tolerance of weight deviation is really not that great from one frame size to another... For example, a person my size with a large frame should be around 200 lbs while one with a medium build should be about 190 or so... Certainly does not account for a great big amount of fat wrapping around whatever size bones one has... Muscle mass probably offers more deviation than frame size in many cases... You called her on it and she took it the right way.... It worked out in the best possible way....
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Glad she took it well... Of course there are three basic frame sizes... (Mine is medium)... However, really the tolerance of weight deviation is really not that great from one frame size to another... For example, a person my size with a large frame should be around 200 lbs while one with a medium build should be about 190 or so... Certainly does not account for a great big amount of fat wrapping around whatever size bones one has... Muscle mass probably offers more deviation than frame size in many cases... You called her on it and she took it the right way.... It worked out in the best possible way....

True. But I wasnt going to say anything. She ran after me and made me. LOL
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Completely agree! My sister and I were really skinny as kids, but it was obvious my bones were thicker than her's.
    With as many difference in the shaped of our skulls and frames through regions, it's hard to believe that every single bone in everyone's body across the globe has the same thickness.