Mikes Daily Rant Topic: Big Bones

Options

Replies

• redredy9
    redredy9 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My rant....people who make excuses for being rude. Yes denial is a reality but so are people who are rude for no reason. There is more than one way to say something and you chose to be rude and on top of that you think its funny. I say being nice and honest is better. Over weight people experience enough rudeness from the world. I am sure she might have laughed in your presence....(denial) but I would bet your comments adding about another 500 calories to her caloric intake for the day (emotional eating).

Amen! Not to mention bone structure is different for alot of people. I'm 5'11'' with broader shoulders and a 36" inseam so you can't tell me that my bones are the same as my 5'1'' super peitite mother in law. With that said yes, being overweight people will always find an excuse, but who asked you to point anything out to them?

Actually she asked me smart one. Read the whole post before you come to the rescue again.

She asked you "what". Yeah she was definitely asking for it. Whatever. You were a jerk and that's plain and simple. You also obviously have NO CLUE what you are talking about in terms of bone mass anyway, so all you are is a non informative jerk. Congrats!

Whoa people! I think you are all taking this way too seriously. OP posted about being "Big Boned" not about bone density, bone mass or frame size - they are different things with different meanings. "Big Boned" is an expression used by some overweight people as an excuse, explination, justification, or mitigation for thier larger size. Some "Big Boned" people also have large frames, more bone mass ect, but some also have small frames, or average bone size. So relax - no need to get all defensive!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    My rant....people who make excuses for being rude. Yes denial is a reality but so are people who are rude for no reason. There is more than one way to say something and you chose to be rude and on top of that you think its funny. I say being nice and honest is better. Over weight people experience enough rudeness from the world. I am sure she might have laughed in your presence....(denial) but I would bet your comments adding about another 500 calories to her caloric intake for the day (emotional eating).

Amen! Not to mention bone structure is different for alot of people. I'm 5'11'' with broader shoulders and a 36" inseam so you can't tell me that my bones are the same as my 5'1'' super peitite mother in law. With that said yes, being overweight people will always find an excuse, but who asked you to point anything out to them?

Actually she asked me smart one. Read the whole post before you come to the rescue again.

She asked you "what". Yeah she was definitely asking for it. Whatever. You were a jerk and that's plain and simple. You also obviously have NO CLUE what you are talking about in terms of bone mass anyway, so all you are is a non informative jerk. Congrats!

Whoa people! I think you are all taking this way too seriously. OP posted about being "Big Boned" not about bone density, bone mass or frame size - they are different things with different meanings. "Big Boned" is an expression used by some overweight people as an excuse, explination, justification, or mitigation for thier larger size. Some "Big Boned" people also have large frames, more bone mass ect, but some also have small frames, or average bone size. So relax - no need to get all defensive!

Hey. Im not defensive actually. I think she feels that Im stupid when I know perfectly well that we all have different bone mass. I just know that it doesnt explain why people are fat. I am over here laughing at her getting mad actually when the person that I said it to laughed. Yet I am a jerk? I might be for other reasons but for this? No. The lady walked behind me saying What? What? say it! Sooooo. I accept the title of jerk. I will tell you this. She worked extra hard after I made that comment. I was proud of her and her "Big Bones" LOL.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    What difference does it make to you if someone says they're big boned? They're only lying to themselves and what business is it of yours?
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options

Hey. Im not defensive actually. I think she feels that Im stupid when I know perfectly well that we all have different bone mass. I just know that it doesnt explain why people are fat. I am over here laughing at her getting mad actually when the person that I said it to laughed. Yet I am a jerk? I might be for other reasons but for this? No. The lady walked behind me saying What? What? say it! Sooooo. I accept the title of jerk. I will tell you this. She worked extra hard after I made that comment. I was proud of her and her "Big Bones" LOL.

And if she burst into tears...

how would you have felt?
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

And if she burst into tears...

how would you have felt?

I would have felt bad but then told her that the gym is the right place to fix her "Big Bones"
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options

I'm not mad at all. I think you were a jerk, and I think even though that person may have outwardly laughed, I'm sure deep down she wasn't thrilled with anything you said. You can pat yourself on the back that you made her work harder, but it was just a stupid thing to do.
  • fawndam
    fawndam Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: ROLLING!!!! Sorry but she ASKED, PRACTICALLY BEGGED FOR IT!:drinker: :drinker:
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    What difference does it make to you if someone says they're big boned? They're only lying to themselves and what business is it of yours?

Its not business unless someone asks. She asked so thats why the comment was even made. Constructive feedback only. Thats what Im about.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

I'm not mad at all. I think you were a jerk, and I think even though that person may have outwardly laughed, I'm sure deep down she wasn't thrilled with anything you said. You can pat yourself on the back that you made her work harder, but it was just a stupid thing to do.

Stupid how? I guess I am stupid because I dont understand why you feel the way that you do. You really need to read the initial post. Thanks and things.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    :noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh: ROLLING!!!! Sorry but she ASKED, PRACTICALLY BEGGED FOR IT!:drinker: :drinker:

Right!!!
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    everyone is constructed differently. small, medium, or large frame. or something in between. on two people with the same height but different frames, a particular number on the scale can look drastically different on each person. for instance, my mom is petite and delicate but i inherited my dad's frame. i have a medium/large frame--i carry weight differently. i'm not petite--5'7" and broad shouldered--no one ever believed me when i said i was 160#--that's because, with clothes on, i didn't look that way. whatever 160 looks like, anyway.
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

Stupid how? I guess I am stupid because I dont understand why you feel the way that you do. You really need to read the initial post. Thanks and things.

Stupid as insensitive. You didn't do her any kind of service or justice in what you said to her. You probably actually did more damage than you know. I read the entire thread, and I comprehend it, thanks. You can keep telling me to re-read it but it doesn't change my opinion.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

Stupid as insensitive. You didn't do her any kind of service or justice in what you said to her. You probably actually did more damage than you know. I read the entire thread, and I comprehend it, thanks. You can keep telling me to re-read it but it doesn't change my opinion.

Very good. Thanks for reading it. Only time will tell. If I see her in spin class today or in the gym period I will know if it did her any good or damage. Ill keep ya posted. Insensitive is a more appropriate word. Thanks for the clarification. Just curious. What should I have said? I need to know so that next time Im put in this position, I know what to say.
  • sisierra
    sisierra Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    i'm glad she took it well, I sure as *kitten* wouldnt have
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Well I have never been the type of guy that has ever had trouble admiting to what appears to be evident. If asked a question, I have always been truthful. I have always been fair but honest. Often times the truth can be hurtful if you already know it to be true but expect someone to lie to you. I dont get that concept. Today at the gym a woman said "I work hard everytime I come here. I eat right and everything. I just cant lose weight. But Being Big Boned runs in my family." I just shook my head without commenting right then. I walked away and she followed behind me asking "What, What?!?!" I tried to walk away and keep her from hating me. But she insisted that I share my thoughts. Sooooo.... I did! I said, "2 things. 1. It appears that no one runs in your family so that theory is wrong. 2. All bones are the same size. You are not big boned you have regular bones with big *kitten* meat wrapped around them. However you are in the gym which is the second step to making a change to your body. First is changing your mindset and cutting the denial out." Her jaw dropped and and she had a serious face and she bursted out into laughter. I was relieved and she couldnt believe that I said that to her but she worked hard in spin class after that and told her friends what I told her and they all got a good laugh out of it.

My rant is this. Although we laughed about it, This is no laughing matter! People stop saying that you have big bones. You dont. You have big deposits of fatty substances under your skin. Keep it real. I know I do. Look out for Mikes Daily Rant tomorrow. Im sure something will upset me and make me post.

i'll be honest, i used to believe that some people were 'big boned', but now i agree with you, they dont, they are just fat....

and also, i effing LOVE this: "It appears that no one runs in your family so that theory is wrong" and i am just gagging to be able to use it myself.....
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    Options

Very good. Thanks for reading it. Only time will tell. If I see her in spin class today or in the gym period I will know if it did her any good or damage. Ill keep ya posted. Insensitive is a more appropriate word. Thanks for the clarification. Just curious. What should I have said? I need to know so that next time Im put in this position, I know what to say.

I think it would have been way more beneficial to say to her that regardless of how she came to be the size she is that you would assist her in any way you could to increase her motivation and meet her goal.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    No big bones here. Just big butt and thighs. :bigsmile:

Add boobs and that's me. But all are shrinking!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    i'm glad she took it well, I sure as *kitten* wouldnt have

Why not? What was the part that you wouldnt have taken well?
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Well I have never been the type of guy that has ever had trouble admiting to what appears to be evident. If asked a question, I have always been truthful. I have always been fair but honest. Often times the truth can be hurtful if you already know it to be true but expect someone to lie to you. I dont get that concept. Today at the gym a woman said "I work hard everytime I come here. I eat right and everything. I just cant lose weight. But Being Big Boned runs in my family." I just shook my head without commenting right then. I walked away and she followed behind me asking "What, What?!?!" I tried to walk away and keep her from hating me. But she insisted that I share my thoughts. Sooooo.... I did! I said, "2 things. 1. It appears that no one runs in your family so that theory is wrong. 2. All bones are the same size. You are not big boned you have regular bones with big *kitten* meat wrapped around them. However you are in the gym which is the second step to making a change to your body. First is changing your mindset and cutting the denial out." Her jaw dropped and and she had a serious face and she bursted out into laughter. I was relieved and she couldnt believe that I said that to her but she worked hard in spin class after that and told her friends what I told her and they all got a good laugh out of it.

My rant is this. Although we laughed about it, This is no laughing matter! People stop saying that you have big bones. You dont. You have big deposits of fatty substances under your skin. Keep it real. I know I do. Look out for Mikes Daily Rant tomorrow. Im sure something will upset me and make me post.

i'll be honest, i used to believe that some people were 'big boned', but now i agree with you, they dont, they are just fat....

and also, i effing LOVE this: "It appears that no one runs in your family so that theory is wrong" and i am just gagging to be able to use it myself.....

LOL go ahead. I couldnt believe that I said it afterwards. I think I was more shocked than she was. I probably will never use it again but will always think about it in the right situation. LOL.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

I think it would have been way more beneficial to say to her that regardless of how she came to be the size she is that you would assist her in any way you could to increase her motivation and meet her goal.

That did sound much better. Thanks for that.