Paleo diet, crazy or worth it?

Options

Replies

• Espressocycle
    Espressocycle Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Just as I could never be Jewish and give up pork, I could never be paleo and give up pie.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hard to give up toxic food (imo)?

This is the kind of comment that really makes me roll my eyes. The idea that grains, legumes, and dairy are "toxic" to humans is simply absurd. Eat what you want, but don't make false claims. It is only "toxic" if you have some sort of medical condition.

Beans can indeed be 'toxic'. They contain a toxin which can be harmful if they're not prepared properly
    Wow. You really honed in on his point...
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options

This is the kind of comment that really makes me roll my eyes. The idea that grains, legumes, and dairy are "toxic" to humans is simply absurd. Eat what you want, but don't make false claims. It is only "toxic" if you have some sort of medical condition.

Beans can indeed be 'toxic'. They contain a toxin which can be harmful if they're not prepared properly

Her point, and I was'nt being a ****, just pointing out that actually some 'healthy' foods can be toxic, and are not something that, in their natural state, we can eat.
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Well stated! Eating out is a killer to being healthy. I also avoid gluten and I'm less bloated around the midsection. I think my skin looks better too. I got the good skin tip from a student who had facial rashes and her dermatologist told her to get off the white flour.
  • her4g63
    her4g63 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I've been strict paleo for a good 6+ months now. The beginning was the toughest. Learning how to cook foods differently, read labels like crazy and meal plans that I could actually stick to. It took me about a month to finally get the hang of it and I could NOT be happier. I've lost over 40 pounds, never felt healthier, happier or more, for lack of a better description, alive.

I have epilepsy and have not had a seizure since the beginning of this lifestyle change. I can't say with absolute certainty that there is a direct correlation between going paleo and my seizures, but I'm fairly certain that there is something to be said with it. My fiance has rheumatoid arthritis (and he's only 24) and no longer feels the extreme pain associated with it.

I wouldn't call this a "fad diet", it's a lifestyle change. I couldn't be happier with the decision we made to have our household strict paleo.
  • IrshRnr56
    IrshRnr56 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Grains, legumes toxic?? Perhaps when they come from corporate farms they are. I know that Monsanto controls the corn grown in this country. All their corn in GM and I avoid it like the plague. Fortunately there are many immigrants in the Chicago area, and I can buy grains and beans from Europe, where they don't permit genetically modified engineering to their foods.
  • conchita962
    conchita962 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Two things: First If you eat HEALTHY meaning no processed crap, whole foods, lots of fresh foods then Paleo is for you. "Paleo" is just a name..i agree that people are getting all caught up in the caveman thing.

I just recently watch "Forks Over Knives" and if that doesn't get ya motivated to make some kind of change to healthier eating instead of 'convenience' eating then I don't know what will.

We are the fattest, most unhealthy nation in the world ...there's a reason for that!!!

I personally will NOT be one of those people...My body doesn't like it. Some people can eat whatever they want, whenever they want with minimal consequence but it you look around any mall in the country you might find those people are becoming fewer and fewer..ESPECIALLY our kids.

Paleo takes some prep time but I'd rather take extra time to cook healthy than running to the Dr and taking medications etc. It may be a fad for some people but for a lot of people out there it's a positive change that works and I want what they have. A healthy body.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    WORTH IT!!!

(Mark's Daily Apple).

I've done the SAD way. I lost weight but I didn't get healthy. What I got going Primal was my health and my body back!!!!
    I'm 41 years old. For the first time in my life I feel normal. While everyone around me is gaining weight, gathering prescriptions and heading downhill in health, I'm getting healthier, feeling better and younger and fixing every health issues I have dealt with since I was a child (everything from digestive,skin dental, and hair loss issues to anxiety disorder, depression to bad sleep). And I have to eat a hell of a lot of fat to maintain my weight and not continue to drop. Full fat cans of coconut milk for lunch!! Eggs and bacon for breakfast!! (oatmeal and an apple would have me shaking like a leaf and starving 90 minutes later...)

It took a misdiagnosis of Fibromyalgia to get me started on a journey of reading, research and knowlege. Turned out my FM was Reactive Hypoglycemia - AKA pre-diabetes. Even the healthiest version of the Standard American Diet couldn't fix my health. All it did was help me drop a few pounds and I had to count calories and log and weigh food to do it. And the doctor saw no reason to check my blood sugars because I WAS AT A HEALTHY WEIGHT. But she was more than happy to give me a pill that I couldn't afford.

Eat real plants, eat real animals, drink water. ENJOY THE SECOND HALF OF YOUR LIFE!!
  • ahemming1
    ahemming1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    It seems crazy to me that evolved people want to try to eat like prehistoric, unevolved people.

the whole caveman or prehistoric idea of the paleo way of eating is just the marketing idea of identifying with this style of eating.

It should be thought of as a way of eating that gets away from what we have "evolved" into as far as our food. We have evolved and are focused not on nutrition but on mass production of preservative filled crap laced with fake sweeteners.

the haters of a paleo diet often pull out the caveman analogy but for many paleo type eaters, it is about cleaner nutrition and not emulating the caveman.

AGREE with this. I'm on week 3 - more primal (I do eat some dairy). I am encouraging my kids to eat this way as well, and if I can get them 50/50 every bit helps. Why wouldn't you? It's much better than the junk they usually get. There are tons of great websites that explain the lifestyle (yes, lifestyle, not diet) and have terrific recipes. My 1st goal is to be healthy, 2nd is to lose weight...in that order. The first two weeks are hard, but I see a big difference going into week 3. Research before you pass judgement.

Too many of us eat for pleasure most of the time rather than thinking about nourishing our bodies. I'm trying to get away from this mindset, myself.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

Her point, and I was'nt being a ****, just pointing out that actually some 'healthy' foods can be toxic, and are not something that, in their natural state, we can eat.

Red Kidney beans, and they are not fatal, simply take a bit more preparation in the proper method to make them best for us to ingest, then they are perfectly fine to eat. In fact Red Kidney beans are one of the healthiest and most nutrient dense!

http://extension.psu.edu/food-safety/food-preservation/faq/raw-kidney-beans

"Lectins are inactivated with cooking so fully cooked or canned kidney beans are safe to eat. Undercooking may actually increase lectin activity and increase the hazard. This could be a problem when using slow cookers (crock-pots) if time/temperature conditions are not adequate to fully cook the beans. Therefore, when kidney beans are called for in slow cooker recipes, make sure you use only fully pre-cooked or canned beans rather than raw beans."
  • kjjbean
    kjjbean Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo, but I'm pretty sure it's not a "fad diet".
    My sister in law and her husband started on this diet. She has lost a lot of weight in the month she has been on it. I personally don’t think it’s good to go on a diet. I believe diets are to short term. I believe it’s better to change your outlook on food and listen to your body. I don’t think fad diets work in the long run.

I pretty sure that the term "fad" describes it appropriately. It's the latest thing in dieting and will not stand the test of time. It's much better than some of these silly single-food diets and such, but indeed, it is a fad.

It's not a fad diet, it's a different approach to what you eat. Don't knock it til you try it.

I follow many of the paleo principles but I am not super regimented. I consider myself paleo-esque ;)
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Red Kidney beans, and they are not fatal, simply take a bit more preparation in the proper method to make them best for us to ingest, then they are perfectly fine to eat. In fact Red Kidney beans are one of the healthiest and most nutrient dense!

"Lectins are inactivated with cooking so fully cooked or canned kidney beans are safe to eat. Undercooking may actually increase lectin activity and increase the hazard. This could be a problem when using slow cookers (crock-pots) if time/temperature conditions are not adequate to fully cook the beans. Therefore, when kidney beans are called for in slow cooker recipes, make sure you use only fully pre-cooked or canned beans rather than raw beans."

It is true that there are certain foods that you shouldn't eat raw. :laugh:
  • conchita962
    Options

It is true that there are certain foods that you shouldn't eat raw. :laugh:

How about a challenge? Try it for 30 days and then report any criticisms you may have. :)
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, your instincts are correct. I agree with the fact that in emphasizes whole, minimally processed foods, but I also thinks that it excludes foods that are perfectly healthy.

It's possible to eat healthy without wrapping it up in mythology about what a caveman might have eaten.

This^^
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    How about a challenge? Try it for 30 days and then report any criticisms you may have. :)

Nobody is arguing that Paelo isn't better than eating crap all day like most people do. The point the critics are making is that my diet isn't any less healthy because I ate some corn and had a glass of milk.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I've been eating "paleo" for 18 months now, beginning as a weight loss thing and then making it a permanent way of eating because it's made such a difference in my health. I'm in my 50s and hard to believe a simple change in food choices has these results. I really don't give a cr*p if some people dispute the science or evolutionary basis for it--one can always pull a study out to support a point of view.

All I know is avoiding sugar, grains, heat processed oils, dairy & legumes (never liked these anyway), and aiming for humanely raised animal sources, has been life changing. Staying away from the processed stuff that corporations call food shouldn't be considered weird. If that's the case my late grandma was weird: she would have identified tofu, doritos, 100 calorie snacks, chocolate cereal (seriously!?), mcnuggets and the like as the junk it is.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I've been strict paleo for a good 6+ months now.

<snip>

I have epilepsy and have not had a seizure since the beginning of this lifestyle change. I can't say with absolute certainty that there is a direct correlation between going paleo and my seizures, but I'm fairly certain that there is something to be said with it.

There very well may be a connection. Google for "ketogenic diet for epilepsy". A diet low enough in carbohydrate to induce ketosis can improve seizure control in some people.
  • conchita962
    Options
    I've been eating "paleo" for 18 months now, beginning as a weight loss thing and then making it a permanent way of eating because it's made such a difference in my health. I'm in my 50s and hard to believe a simple change in food choices has these results. I really don't give a cr*p if some people dispute the science or evolutionary basis for it--one can always pull a study out to support a point of view.

All I know is avoiding sugar, grains, heat processed oils, dairy & legumes (never liked these anyway), and aiming for humanely raised animal sources, has been life changing. Staying away from the processed stuff that corporations call food shouldn't be considered weird. If that's the case my late grandma was weird: she would have identified tofu, doritos, 100 calorie snacks, chocolate cereal (seriously!?), mcnuggets and the like as the junk it is.

AMEN !!!
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    What fire rock said. I follow a primal-style diet, I've been 'paleo' for months now, and enjoy the way I eat, though I dont do low carb...I eat sweet potatos, fruit, veg. I also have started eating more dairy again (mostly organic whole milk) and a bit of brown rice. On a weekend, If I want something that doesnt fit with how I eat the rest of the time, I'll do it. It works for me, my IBS is much better without wheats and legumes (I love legumes), which can give me one hell of a bad bowel.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I don't do Paleo, but I'm pretty sure it's not a "fad diet".
    My sister in law and her husband started on this diet. She has lost a lot of weight in the month she has been on it. I personally don’t think it’s good to go on a diet. I believe diets are to short term. I believe it’s better to change your outlook on food and listen to your body. I don’t think fad diets work in the long run.

I pretty sure that the term "fad" describes it appropriately. It's the latest thing in dieting and will not stand the test of time. It's much better than some of these silly single-food diets and such, but indeed, it is a fad.

not a fad