Paleo diet, crazy or worth it?

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I really can't believe how well this diet works when I have tried so hard with just counting calories and "eating right". I have learned that what the gov tells you is healthy for your heart really is bad for it. I was on the diet very strictly for a month and my heart rate and blood pressure got much healthier than before I started the diet, and I could tell the difference when I would work out. i did not feel faint when running like I use too and it was much easier to build muscle.

If someone like me with all the medical conditions I have can feel so good on it and become a fit person than I think it can benefit just about anyone.

Why do you think it would help an already fit person? I fully understand that Paleo, or any restrictive diet, may be necessary for someone with a medical condition. But why would you assume a healthy person should change their diet? What would they have to gain?
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    my doctor put me on it with no dairy because I have digestion problems and I have hashimoto's disease which gave me a hypothyroid. I must say that it has been the easiest most successful diet I have ever been on. Take it one step at a time and don't be so strict all the time with it and it will make you feel good. I think everyone needs to try it out seriously and see how it makes them feel. Getting healthy isn't just about losing weight but I really got over my weight loss platue with the paleo.

I really can't believe how well this diet works when I have tried so hard with just counting calories and "eating right". I have learned that what the gov tells you is healthy for your heart really is bad for it. I was on the diet very strictly for a month and my heart rate and blood pressure got much healthier than before I started the diet, and I could tell the difference when I would work out. i did not feel faint when running like I use too and it was much easier to build muscle.

If someone like me with all the medical conditions I have can feel so good on it and become a fit person than I think it can benefit just about anyone.

Yes, I can't stress enough how many of my health issues have been resolved, and so quickly. I think that's why we are so passionate about sharing our experiences.

It gets very tiring when people who know nothing about this way of eating, never researched it, never tried it, feel compelled to argue so strongly against it. If one disagrees with something, it should at least be based on EXPERIENCE, otherwise, keep an open mind about things you don't know about. That's what I do.
  • zebisis
    zebisis Posts: 157
    Options
    But I do hope she talked it over with her husband before doing it so he has a say in what he eats.

LOL. That is funny.
    Little sexist, no?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    But I do hope she talked it over with her husband before doing it so he has a say in what he eats.

LOL. That is funny.
    Little sexist, no?

In what way is that sexist? Two adults in the home, one decides to go on a specific diet. Shouldn't the other adult be consulted before being "put on" said diet, as stated in the OP? Or is the woman autimatically in charge of what the man eats?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    my doctor put me on it with no dairy because I have digestion problems and I have hashimoto's disease which gave me a hypothyroid. I must say that it has been the easiest most successful diet I have ever been on. Take it one step at a time and don't be so strict all the time with it and it will make you feel good. I think everyone needs to try it out seriously and see how it makes them feel. Getting healthy isn't just about losing weight but I really got over my weight loss platue with the paleo.

It gets very tiring when people who know nothing about this way of eating, never researched it, never tried it, feel compelled to argue so strongly against it. If one disagrees with something, it should at least be based on EXPERIENCE, otherwise, keep an open mind about things you don't know about. That's what I do.

Lol, so you must have first hand experience with something to be knowledgeable on a subject? Guess in your opinion there are no experts on WWI or any historical matter
  • caribougal
    caribougal Posts: 865 Member
    Options

So, lots of scientific mumbo jumbo about contaminants that are toxic in exorbitant amounts without siting any actual studies or evidence to back up the suggested notion that anywhere near these amounts exist in the amount of peanuts or peanut butter that the average person would eat. Then saying it doesn't really matter as most of the toxins are negated during processing. Then ending with the real reason you shouldn't eat peanut butter is that I can't eat it without binging. Is that about it?

Does he site even one actual nutrition scientist that agrees that peanuts or peanut butter is unhealthy?

If you actually click on the link to the article, he has lots of links to studies. And, where things are not conclusive, he states that.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22405700
    http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/sep/2004/aflatox/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1512792

Those are just the first few. You can click on the links yourself if you're interested. I'm not that interested.

Peanuts. People reject Paleo because of Peanuts? That's crazy. It's not one of those things that gets Paleo folks passionate about their diet... but the question was raised, so I answered it through MDA's post, because he writes better than I.

It's just one of those foods that probably makes you less healthy rather than more healthy, and therefore is eliminated. I personally have not had an issue substituting almond butter when I want my fix of nut butter on an apple. And, I even still get my favorite flavor ice cream, chocolate peanut butter, as a treat from time to time. I just prefer not to consume globs of it every day, and that goes for almond butter AND peanut butter. But by all means... if someone want to improve your health through Paleo with everything EXCEPT peanut butter, I think that's just fine. Really. But... if you REALLY can't give up peanut butter... you have to ask yourself why. Sometimes the things you say you "could never give up" are the things you should really be taking a second look at. For me, that's currently coffee. Which is not, technically, Paleo. I drink 2 mugs a day.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

Lol, so you must have first hand experience with something to be knowledgeable on a subject? Guess in your opinion there are no experts on WWI or any historical matter

Did you miss the "keeping an open mind" part? I'm pretty sure historians keep an open mind and examine things from all angles. New evidence leads to new theories. And, no, anyone who wasn't in WWI can never fully understand what it would be like to be there.

Yes, first-hand experience is the most powerful knowledge available.
  • KrazyAsianNic
    KrazyAsianNic Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    It's all different depending on who you are and what you want to do. My sister is on the Paleo diet and she says she feels amazing. However, that involves her either making something different or having to ignore temptation really well for her family (kids and husband aren't on Paleo). I personally don't want to cut out things that I am going to want in the future. I want to still eat the things I love when I reach that goal.
  • Roanokejoe2
    Options
    It's not a diet and it's 1,000% worth it :)
    Yes, it's a diet, and don't let anyone tell you differently. It is not grounded in actual science, but in a hypothetical idea of what Paleo man could have eaten. For example, there were no pigs, deer, or cows during the paleolithic era. It is junk science at best.

That said, there's nothing wrong with eating in a Paleo way. Good protein, fresh vegetables and fruits is perfectly safe for you. Don't be afraid of moderate grains, that's the part of the science that is totally bogus.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I'll add this about counting calories. I do it mainly to trace my nutrients, but on the Primal diet it's pretty unnecessary.

I'm a big guy (6'3) and find that on this diet it's damn near impossible to eat more than 700 calories in one meal. At my current workout level that's a big calorie deficit for me.

Eat slowly, eat until you feel just a bit of hunger and then let your body's reactions get caught up to reality. It's worked out pretty well for me.

The single biggest key is to pick a few things you like and eat them repeatedly and prepare them in advance if possible. My breakfast almost every morning is four jumbo eggs (two whole, two whites) salsa, and guacamole. I usually make a big batch of chili every couple of weeks and freeze portions for lunch. Dinner is fish/chicken/beef with sauteed vegetables. Simple, easy and tasty.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

LOL. That is funny.
    Little sexist, no?

In what way is that sexist? Two adults in the home, one decides to go on a specific diet. Shouldn't the other adult be consulted before being "put on" said diet, as stated in the OP? Or is the woman autimatically in charge of what the man eats?

lol umm...my hubby eats anything i put in front of him. if i ask him anything about groceries/dinner? "whatever you want honey!" so no, in my house, i do not need to consult him. he consults me. (my 2 cents ;P)
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options

So you can eat meat in its natural state (uncooked)?

Yup. I do so quite often. My wife doesn't care to see me eating raw hamburger so I don't do it when she is at home. :smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Did you miss the "keeping an open mind" part? I'm pretty sure historians keep an open mind and examine things from all angles. New evidence leads to new theories. And, no, anyone who wasn't in WWI can never fully understand what it would be like to be there.

Yes, first-hand experience is the most powerful knowledge available.

How do you know what you think you know?

Do all people think rationally that first hand experience is the most powerful knowledgeable available? Take a look around at this forum or anywhere and see what people swear is true because it works for them yet in reality they are making illogical assumptions based off of personal experiences
  • caribougal
    Options

LOL. That is funny.
    Little sexist, no?

I thought that was a weird statement too. I suppose whoever cooks is in charge of what everyone else eats, if the others don't care to cook something different. But who knows what the dynamic is in that family, so why are we speculating?

Before switching to Primal, my hubby and I did about equal cooking. We were both very proficient at opening boxes, dumping them in water, adding the powder, and stirring. We were really good at poking forks into plastic and nuking things for 3 minutes. And our best trick was takeout. At first, hubby was not supportive of my "new diet" because he didn't think it would last. Now he realizes that this is a lifestyle change, and he's loved all the new things I'm cooking up. He has to "suffer" through home-cooked meals made from whole ingredients. Poor guy. Those packages of Ramen are going stale. Well, maybe not yet.

Incidentally, as I've lost weight, he's gained. Partially because he started a new job and is consuming a lot more fast food at lunch. And then, since I still serve his rice/bread/pasta with dinner (which I skip), and I cook our meat and veggies with full fat (important for me), he ends up consuming a lot more calories. I hope eventually, he'll get sick of gaining, and will "Go Paleo" with me.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    {{Peanut butter}}

The only peanut form I don't like is boiled. People love those down here, but I find them icky.

I eat peanut butter pretty much every day, with my dark chocolate. Yum.

I have never tried them boiled. But yes, peanut butter and chocolate is the best treat ever. I also like sprinkling peanuts on my ice cream with melted peanut butter. Yum!

I LOVE melted peanut butter with Hershey's hot fudge (not syrup!!!) over chocolate ice cream. Best thing ever. And if that's what's going to kill me, I'll die happy.

Boiled peanuts is a Southern thing. Or at least a Georgia and north Florida thing.

Definitely agree on the fudge vs. syrup. :drinker:
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Peanuts. People reject Paleo because of Peanuts? That's crazy. It's not one of those things that gets Paleo folks passionate about their diet... but the question was raised, so I answered it through MDA's post, because he writes better than I.

It's just one of those foods that probably makes you less healthy rather than more healthy, and therefore is eliminated. I personally have not had an issue substituting almond butter when I want my fix of nut butter on an apple. And, I even still get my favorite flavor ice cream, chocolate peanut butter, as a treat from time to time. I just prefer not to consume globs of it every day, and that goes for almond butter AND peanut butter. But by all means... if someone want to improve your health through Paleo with everything EXCEPT peanut butter, I think that's just fine. Really. But... if you REALLY can't give up peanut butter... you have to ask yourself why. Sometimes the things you say you "could never give up" are the things you should really be taking a second look at. For me, that's currently coffee. Which is not, technically, Paleo. I drink 2 mugs a day.

Really, really, REALLY not wanting to give up a food you enjoy, especially one that is considered to be healthy by nutrition experts, in no way equates to not being able to give up up, now does it? If it did, we should never eat anything we enjoy. We should give up everything we enjoy just to prove we can.

And while I don't know if anyone "rejects" the paleo diet because of peanut butter, I personally reject the science that says peanuts, beans and other legumes are unhealthy in the average persons diet. Even if you ignore all the science out there showing legumes as healthy, there are simply too many healthy people eating legumes as dietary staples for it to be true. One of them is me.
  • lauras777
    lauras777 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Look at a list of the foods you wont be allowed to eat. beans, etc. now ask yourself if you can handle that long term.

If you can, go for it.

i read this list of no-go foods and laughed. my main proteins in about half my meals are on the ban list. beans, nuts, cheese-im a vegetarian and that would leave me eating very little.

I would never last either! I'm also a vegetarian (20+ years) and there's no way I could give up beans, nuts or cheese!!!! I'd starve!!:laugh:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

LOL. That is funny.
    Little sexist, no?

How is that sexist? i always ask hubby what he wants for dinner. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I talk him into something different.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

So, lots of scientific mumbo jumbo about contaminants that are toxic in exorbitant amounts without siting any actual studies or evidence to back up the suggested notion that anywhere near these amounts exist in the amount of peanuts or peanut butter that the average person would eat. Then saying it doesn't really matter as most of the toxins are negated during processing. Then ending with the real reason you shouldn't eat peanut butter is that I can't eat it without binging. Is that about it?

Does he site even one actual nutrition scientist that agrees that peanuts or peanut butter is unhealthy?

If you actually click on the link to the article, he has lots of links to studies. And, where things are not conclusive, he states that.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22405700
    http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/sep/2004/aflatox/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1512792

Those are just the first few. You can click on the links yourself if you're interested. I'm not that interested.

I like the way they taste. Is that not enough? Ok, then I also love the healthy fats in them as well as the supplement of protein. I didn't start eating a lot of peanuts on a daily basis until I started MFP. They are cheap and easy and packed with nutrition. I could choose something different, certainly. I could eat cashews or almonds instead, but peanuts fit my budget better.

It's not that I *can't* give them up. They are not addictive or anything. I simply don't want to. They are an excellent addition to my baked oatmeal that I eat every morning. I also add hemp seeds to it. I may decide that I'm bored with peanuts and peanut butter. Who knows? Sometimes I go through phases.
  • caribougal
    Options
    It's not a diet and it's 1,000% worth it :)
    Yes, it's a diet, and don't let anyone tell you differently. It is not grounded in actual science, but in a hypothetical idea of what Paleo man could have eaten. For example, there were no pigs, deer, or cows during the paleolithic era. It is junk science at best.

That said, there's nothing wrong with eating in a Paleo way. Good protein, fresh vegetables and fruits is perfectly safe for you. Don't be afraid of moderate grains, that's the part of the science that is totally bogus.

The reason that people say it's not a "diet" is because it's viewed a bit differently than most "diets".

The point of Paleo is not to eliminate foods to lose weight. Losing weight is a fortunate by-product of eating this way. It's about eating healthy, and eating in a way that emphasizes high-quality foods. It's also about learning which foods make you feel good, and which foods don't, and eliminating those that don't agree with your gut, or your skin, or your joints, or your allergies.

While some people do see dramatic weight loss eating Paleo/Primal, many people don't lose weight very fast on it, so it's not looked to as a "quick fix" diet. I've been eating Primal since July, and have dropped 15 lbs. I am sure I could have lost faster by eating lean cuisines and rice cakes. But I would have been hungry all the time, and I would have felt like I was "dieting". For me, this makes more sense.

The other reason people say it's a "lifestyle" change is that for many people, once they discover which foods made them feel bad, or which foods they tended to overeat/abuse, they realize that they don't want to go back to eating what they ate before. You read that again and again from the people posting here who have tried eating Paleo.