Mikes Daily Rant 10/16/2012 Topic: The Stairs are fun

Options
124»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wall. Of. Text.

Agreed, but this one is worth pushing through nonetheless.

And amen, OP. Amen.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    This is going to come off rude but truly, I know of no other way to speak most days.

So she whined to you about being fat and out of shape etc. So you gave (most likely) unwanted advice and chastised her for using the stairs? And when she said her knee hurt, you chastised her again. Yes, chances are the knee was an excuse, but you basically took her from the Couch to the 5k without any walking in between. How about showing her that while it's difficult, you can take small steps to change your habits versus overwhelming her with your plethora of crap? Not everybody wants a cheerleader.

And if you don't want to listen to her, be honest about it. "When you're ready to come and make a life change, I'm here for you. Until then, I can't support you." That's better than telling her "You hurt because you're fat. You're out of shape because you're fat."

I'm all for being rude and insensitive, but damn. I wouldn't have gone that far if I wanted someone to succeed. If I wanted someone to fail, I would've done exactly what you did.

This wasnt rude at all. Actually it was very well stated. Thanks for commenting.
  • Tann19
    Tann19 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

wow look at the time, I need to go to work

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

few more for posterity
    :flowerforyou:
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    This occured at work? Oh hell, you do know your behavior can be considered harassment and you could lose your job over that?

That's what I said... but you know... he isn't responding to anyone who is not giving him a pat on the back for this. Obviously, he doesn't want to hear the "truth" anymore than his co-worker did.

yeah couldnt respond right away. I read the post in order. It could be considered harassment? Well I guess I will stop if she reports me. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Who cares about a job? LOL. If I get a harassment write up you better believe it wont be on her. Im going to inappropriately touch one of the hot chicks at my job. Gotta go big when it comes to harassment lol.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    tl;dr

If it's daily, a blog is more ideal. I have an inflated self importance and even I don't do this.

Dunno man. Mike's raising the bar here and you might have to adjust. Or lowering it. I'm all confused now.

LOL.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Mike,

I understand where you are coming from and I sometimes get frustrated with others in my environment that complain but are not willing to make the hard choices that bring change--- BUT, I find that if i am not really careful I can become arrogant and judgemental. All it takes is for me to mentally go back to the way i felt when i was obese and think about how the comments of others affected me.

You may be speaking truth, but you are lacking compassion. would this approach have worked for you when you were >300lbs. Probably not.

I'm not saying agree with those that are making excuses, but there is a place where you can identify with their struggle and show true concern and compassion rather than irritation and ridicule.

Very well stated. Ill take that approach into consideration. Thank You.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    people are full of excuses. they sound like empty excuses to me but that doesn't matter. it only matters when the excuses start to sound hollow to themselves that they will stop and figure out how to overcome their obstacles. no, it won't be easy but it will be worth it.

exercise was very difficult for me at my starting weight but I decided (for me, not advising anyone else) that if I had to take ibuprofen and tylenol and an energy drink to get my butt to the gym then that's just what I had to do. period.

also, for what it's worth, I wonder if she may have been complaining to you because she needed you to be honest with her. Be kind, there is no need for meanness but I think subconsciously she craved your honesty. And i base this opinion on 2 things. #1 you said she has known you a long time so I highly doubt your upfront condor has escaped her attention in all that time. anyone within the sound of your voice or who has read your rants should be able to tell that you speak your mind and try to cut through the bs. #2 usually when people are in denial about something they commiserate with people of a like mind. She should be crying "it can't be done" to her fattest friend who will agree whole-heartedly and suggest a girls night at olive garden. That's what the old me would've done. Crying "it can't be done" to someone who has already proven that wrong sounds like a cry for help.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    people are full of excuses. they sound like empty excuses to me but that doesn't matter. it only matters when the excuses start to sound hollow to themselves that they will stop and figure out how to overcome their obstacles. no, it won't be easy but it will be worth it.

exercise was very difficult for me at my starting weight but I decided (for me, not advising anyone else) that if I had to take ibuprofen and tylenol and an energy drink to get my butt to the gym then that's just what I had to do. period.

also, for what it's worth, I wonder if she may have been complaining to you because she needed you to be honest with her. Be kind, there is no need for meanness but I think subconsciously she craved your honesty. And i base this opinion on 2 things. #1 you said she has known you a long time so I highly doubt your upfront condor has escaped her attention in all that time. anyone within the sound of your voice or who has read your rants should be able to tell that you speak your mind and try to cut through the bs. #2 usually when people are in denial about something they commiserate with people of a like mind. She should be crying "it can't be done" to her fattest friend who will agree whole-heartedly and suggest a girls night at olive garden. That's what the old me would've done. Crying "it can't be done" to someone who has already proven that wrong sounds like a cry for help.

Wow you are on the money. well stated.
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options

I have to agree with this. Sounded to me like she's asking for help. But maybe take a more gently approach with her...
  • SGRHO23
    SGRHO23 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Why don't you start a blog instead of ranting on a message board?

I Kant ried gude an donte no how 2 uze a messich bored rite so a blog mite not werk 4 me.
    OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!! funny!
  • SGRHO23
    Options
    Mike,

I understand where you are coming from and I sometimes get frustrated with others in my environment that complain but are not willing to make the hard choices that bring change--- BUT, I find that if i am not really careful I can become arrogant and judgemental. All it takes is for me to mentally go back to the way i felt when i was obese and think about how the comments of others affected me.

You may be speaking truth, but you are lacking compassion. would this approach have worked for you when you were >300lbs. Probably not.

I'm not saying agree with those that are making excuses, but there is a place where you can identify with their struggle and show true concern and compassion rather than irritation and ridicule.

Really ? Shocked you are considering it.
  • SGRHO23
    Options
    This occured at work? Oh hell, you do know your behavior can be considered harassment and you could lose your job over that?

Who needs a job?
    LOL. Classic. Work? Income? I will pass. I adore you Mike.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    Mike,

Really ? Shocked you are considering it.

Hell No! I do this to shut people up. Its the politician inside of me. You know that Im an *kitten* and always will be. :glasses:
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options

Who needs a job?
    LOL. Classic. Work? Income? I will pass. I adore you Mike.

:heart: :love: :flowerforyou:
  • LesleyGillan
    Options
    When I climb stairs my knee hurts too, my back is in agony and yet I push through the pain. I have a medical condition that needs surgery but guess what? My weight is what is making it worse!

I wish I had a friend like you to shame me into making changes ages ago, I have plenty of friends that will give me sympathy but that doesn't help my health now does it? Now that I have made the change and started eating healthy and exercising, posts like this one make me smile.

All the negative replies are amusing me too after all when you dont like a show on TV... you don't whinge, you just change the channel(well most people do) The same on here, don't like what you read? stop reading it!

I can't recall reading anywhere that you said everyone HAS to do the same as you did to lose their weight, It's just what worked for you, I have taken on board a few things that will work for me and disregarded the rest. But the main thing that has influenced me is attitude and I love your's Mike.

Even if you are a tactless attention *kitten* :laugh: there is a lot of truth in what you post....keep it up!!!!!!!
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    When I climb stairs my knee hurts too, my back is in agony and yet I push through the pain. I have a medical condition that needs surgery but guess what? My weight is what is making it worse!

I wish I had a friend like you to shame me into making changes ages ago, I have plenty of friends that will give me sympathy but that doesn't help my health now does it? Now that I have made the change and started eating healthy and exercising, posts like this one make me smile.

All the negative replies are amusing me too after all when you dont like a show on TV... you don't whinge, you just change the channel(well most people do) The same on here, don't like what you read? stop reading it!

I can't recall reading anywhere that you said everyone HAS to do the same as you did to lose their weight, It's just what worked for you, I have taken on board a few things that will work for me and disregarded the rest. But the main thing that has influenced me is attitude and I love your's Mike.

Even if you are a tactless attention *kitten* :laugh: there is a lot of truth in what you post....keep it up!!!!!!!

Thank You!! I am supportive of those that want to improve themselves. I agree with everything you said.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    So she told you she has no motivation to change, which is a statement that says she knows she is not making the right choices, and you pointed out to her that she's doing the wrong things?

It's a good thing she had you there to clear that up for her.
  • lachesissss
    lachesissss Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    When she gets over it, and I'm sure she will, or she'll stop talking to you. She'll see that you're right. I've come to realize losing weight is about making decisions. Do I want to use the stairs or the elevator? Have a soda or a water? Eat a salad or burger? Eventually all those little decisions become a subconscious decision, and I don't think about it anymore. Maybe for her, the stairs will be the small decision (with a giant push from yourself), that will lead to other small decisions that will lead to a larger positive change for her. Good job on the post :)
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    When she gets over it, and I'm sure she will, or she'll stop talking to you. She'll see that you're right. I've come to realize losing weight is about making decisions. Do I want to use the stairs or the elevator? Have a soda or a water? Eat a salad or burger? Eventually all those little decisions become a subconscious decision, and I don't think about it anymore. Maybe for her, the stairs will be the small decision (with a giant push from yourself), that will lead to other small decisions that will lead to a larger positive change for her. Good job on the post :)

Thank You.
  • MikeDaMotivator
    Options
    So she told you she has no motivation to change, which is a statement that says she knows she is not making the right choices, and you pointed out to her that she's doing the wrong things?

It's a good thing she had you there to clear that up for her.

confirmation.