Class Reunions: To go or not to go?

Options

Replies

• livingwithlam
    Options
    What do you guys think? Would you go if this were the case for you? Do you plan to go to your H.S. Reunion?

I was so invisible, I wasn't even *invited*. Saw some pictures through Facebook - everyone who showed up is exactly the same.

I was also invisible, and was never invited. I wouldn't go anyways though. High School was absolute hell for me.

I ended up dropping out my Senior year and got my GED; I just couldn't handle it anymore. What's in the past should stay there, why dig up unpleasant memories?
  • Licienne
    Licienne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I went to my 10 year one and I found also that the same people HUNG with the same people....and people who didn't know I even was alive still didn't....what I can say all the guys that thought they were so hot got fat and bald....I thought that was a blast...even the "hotty" girls of the class got old and haggard looking I was shocked....I can't say I ever went again...I didn't need to bring up my past that I really hated again....I won't go back there anymore
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I never went to one reunion, I found out all I wanted to know from others that went.

Plus I had a million other things I could spend $135 per person on.
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed high school and have lots of great memories, so I've gone to my reunions. The ten year was okay but the 20 year was a blast. Actually after finding each other on Myspace and then Facebook, my graduating class has had "unofficial" reunions a couple times a year for the past 6 years. I live about 150 miles away so I don't get to see these people too often and I'm glad we make an effort to see each other.
  • cherrikim
    cherrikim Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You just described me to the capital letter T. I went to all of our class reunions without the only two girls I was close with in school. I had a ball at all of them & can't wait for the 30th reunion. My two friends think like you & every reunion I find myself begging them to go because everyone always ask for them. I decided a long time ago that people just need to let go, stop hating, don't worry & have fun.

Find a slamming outfit, get your hair & nails done if that's what you do & go have a good time. You'll find someone you new that wasn't bad at all to you & sit next to them with your hubby or be like me & go alone since I don't have a man. If they take pictures join in & also take one of yourself.

Let me know how it turns out.
  • caldon4523
    caldon4523 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Texas but have lived in Ohio over the last 25 years. I actually help organize my grade school 10 year reunion. We all had fun. But I went to a Catholic grade school and an all boy Catholic high school. If invite, I would go to my grade school reunion. There were only about 40 of us so we all knew each other and there were no bullies. Yes, it does make a difference.

High school was a different story. Because it was all boys some kids gravitated towards sports, band and for me, JRROTC. After graduating from college, I entered the Army and went away. I briefly kept in touch with some of my friends but eventually lost track of them and don't miss any of them.

The only real true friend I had was the sister of a friend of mine. She went to an all girl high school across the street. Her and I remained very close after graduation, through her marriage with my best friend and subsequent divorce. He kept cheating on her. Sadly, she died of ovarian cancer back in '97.

The only other friend from high school I would have liked to reconnect with died about 1 year ago.

So, the question is would I go to my reunion? I would differently go to my grade school reunion. My whole grade school experience was fun. Plus there were many girls I liked and would like to see how they look today. That's why I belong to MFP!

I would go to my high school reunion only go if friends I knew begged me to come. Again, I'm 1000 miles away so it is not something I would do unless they really wanted to see me. They probably don't so I probably won't go.

It's a good topic. Some interesting posts...

As for you, it really is a gut felling. Several folks have recommended get in touch with friends you want to see and meet with them. Good luck.
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I have to been to all of my reunions (5, 10, 20, 30, and 40). Damn, I'm old. Anyway, the 10 year everyone is trying to impress everyone. They try to look like they did in high school or lose weight. The 20th reunion, people settle down a lot and say they are doing what they enjoy now. They didn't try nearly as hard. By the 30th and 40th, they are just glad to see you. People that I didn't know that well acted like we were best friends. Only one girl that I remember was teased a lot and she got the "late bloomer" award because she looked absolutely fabulous. If you decide to go, just go with a positive attitude and show them that you have come a long way and are very happy with your life. You definitely have a strong support group here. Best of luck.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Id be murdered if I had the indecency to show up at my high school reunion. They would tar and feather me in that sick little village in the Bible Belt.

how dare I refuse to marry my prom date the weekend after graduation (he dropped out a year earlier of course to start working and get a trailer of our own) and instead decide to move to Phoenix and never be heard from again until I appeared in NYC all over the place?

how dare I not turn 30 put on 100 pounds after 4 children and stop sleeping with my husband.

how dare I live elsewhere, indulge all my creative endeavors and actually pursue a career.

how dare I come home, show up at the reunion with nothing to show for my life and absolutely no stains on my clothes, no church membership card, no grandbabies for my parents and most importantly... who the F do I think I am - better than them cause Im different?

DIAF

yeah there's no way Im going to my 20 year reunion in 5 years.

BWAHAHAHA!! Love you, yoovie!!

I went to my ten year with my best guy friend (who had been my prom date in HS) just to see what all the fuss was about. I was NOT popular in high school, but a lot of that was because of my bad attitude. I earned good grades and did a lot of activities (mostly music), but I was convinced that I was "fat and ugly" and "everyone hated me." So guess what? I made it true back then. But when I showed up for my reunion, several people didn't even recognize me. Also, since I was one of the only people who actually left town (i moved from PA to CA) i was sort of a mini-celebrity, lol.

I didn't go to my 20th because it was canceled due to lack of interest. :)
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I was also invisible, and was never invited. I wouldn't go anyways though. High School was absolute hell for me.

Actually, I'd probably go, *if* they invited everyone. Despite being one of the invisibles, there really are a few people that I would like to see again. But the lack of invitation clearly showed that the organizers really just were interested maintaining/reliving their own douche-enclave, rather than organizing an event for the entire class.
  • snowdrop_diva
    snowdrop_diva Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I was going to go to my 20 year reunion. I joined the facebook group that the organizers were using to get info out.

Then I remembered why I hated highschool. The same feelings all came crashing back.

F**K that. If I didn't want to hang out with these people THEN, why would I want to see them NOW?

That's EXACTLY why I ended up skipping our 20yr reunion this summer.
    A lot of those people treated me like crap on their shoes while we were growing up...
  • Janice0711
    Janice0711 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    *This weekend my hubby & I are going to my 40th HS reunion! I am SO excited!
    Tonight we are painting posters at a girl's house for our float for the Homecoming Parade for Thurs~Fri night Homecoming game & visit at a Mexican food place & Big reunion Sat. night at a BBQ place~

I started working on my fitness & weight 1yr & 1/2 ago & used this reunion as a really good motivator~

I have lost 60lbs & 16 inches overall & got a cute little outfit to wear~My hubby & I are sitting with a very close friend & her hubby, so if we decide everyone else is boring, at least we know we will enjoy the evening with our friends. Some of the guys from my class are in a band & they are playing all the music from our high school days~

I went to my 10th, did not go to my 20th, or 30th~It might just be me, but I am thinking once you reach your 40th, people are just so glad to have "made it" to this one! HA!
    I think it just depends on the group~

*I am just excited because I reached my goal! Yeah!
    Good Luck!
  • mgs_philly85
    mgs_philly85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I think you should do what you feel. If you don't want to go then don't go. You are not obligated to be around these people. Personally I am not going to any of my reunions. And I'm sure I won't have any "regrets". Look you have lived your life for the last 20 years without there involvement so whats the point of being uncomfortable around a group of people you don't talk to. You won't regret anything. Might as well go to a bar with good friends and have some good drinks with real laughs.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I was invited to my 40th reunion next month but declined. If it were next year, I might consider it. But I was one of the most unpopular kids in the school and have few good memories of ANYONE that might show up. So if I ever DID go, I want to look like a knockout and I am not there yet.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I dropped out of HS, so I don't have a HS reunion to go to, but I have gotten things for my undergrad reunion, and can't say I was the least bit interested in going--if I wanted to talk to/see anyone I went to undergrad with, I'd find them on FB. Then again, I couldn't be bothered to go to the graduation ceremony for my Ph.D. (I'd moved across the country, so it would have been a hassle), so maybe I'm just a spoil-sport. *shrug*

All of that to say, personally, I wouldn't bother. If you think you aren't going to have a good time, you probably won't.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I'm not going. I'm WAY too much embarassed to be that overweight. I used to weight 120 pounds in HS. I'm at 175 pounds now :sad:
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I've had people from High School try to add me on facebook, ones that were awful to me, and made fun of me. I was stunned. I thought, do you even have any memory of what a b***h you were? So, no. I would never go. I hated high school.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    if you didn't like high school, are still friends with the only people you care about - then you will probably not have fun. I went to all my reunions and quite enjoyed it, but I had a good time in school and there were people I lost touch with that I was looking forward to seeing....you sound like you don't really want to do, so don't! Lots of people don't!
  • Jen32285
    Jen32285 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    My 10 year reunion will be coming up this coming summer. I haven't decided if I will end up going or not. I also live 2,000 miles away.
  • bella_babe_86
    bella_babe_86 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    My 10 year reunion will be in 2015, i will for sure be going. I put on most of my weight in my senior year, so I am excited to go and show off my hot new body(or atleast it will be hot and new by that time) plus I still keep in touch with alot of my highschool friends, and I really jump at any excuse to get a cute new outfit and get all dressed up and have a night out with DH. Despite the cliques that were in my class, everyone was really nice except for a few choice people.And most of them have grown up since then!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I'm going. I was an art kid so we had our own clique. From all I've heard most the people I went to school with are catastrophic failures and I'm not so heck yea I'm going.