Wish there was a separate message board area...

Options

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    It's been suggested before that the Chit Chat, Fun, and Games threads not show up in Recent Posts, so the OP is obviously not the only one who would like an option to not include the chit chat threads. In a hurry, it would be nice to filter out the chit chat threads in the Recent Posts section.
    But why do people use the "Recent Posts" feature in the first place? To see what other people are talking about. What are other people talking about? Halloween costumes, pumpkin recipes, weight loss stalls, weight loss success, what's more attractive, your deal breakers, etc. If people were looking for a specific topic, they would use the search feature. If they only wanted to see things related to fitness and exercise, they would click on the board titled "Fitness and Exercise." If they want to see if anyone has responded to something they posted about, they would click on "My Topics." But the reason they read "recent Posts" is because they want to get involved in a conversation that's going on RIGHT NOW, with no specific topic in mind. Is it everyone else's fault that they are talking making chit chat or talking about fun and games right now? I suppose it is, but what are you going to do? You can't control everyone. You can only control yourself.
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Options
    Wow...the home page...the "Recent" section...I...was...talking...about that. Holy crap can I slow it down for you any more?

So, what you're saying is you'd rather this be YOURFitnessPal, and you can't be bothered to make a couple extra clicks without whining to get to the section of the forums for all the one dimensional fitness humans?

Gotcha.
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I confess...

:blushing:
    I check out the recent posts page too...

but often find that there's so much fitness related crap that I barely see any chit chat fun and games...
    so then I have to click on the actual "Chit-Chat, Fun, and Games" section in order to see the good stuff...

True Story.

:blushing:

Ehermagerd.. you do that too? GAH I thought only i did that!
  • GermanicKnight
    Options
    I was promised bacon in this thread. Where is the bacon?
  • scs143
    scs143 Posts: 2,190 Member
    Options
    Anyone else curious why OP is bashing a section of the website that she seems to frequently post in?

My thoughts exactly.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

*edit - dang someone beat me to it while I was typing.. :(

That's how I felt in my post up above. I got a phone call and didn't consider how many posts there would be by the time I finished mine! :laugh:
  • aadutton
    Options
    Ok, point taken. Verbal beatdown accepted.

Honest truth, as more than one person has said or inferred...it probably is about the fact that you're right, I don't feel like I can participate in those threads because I can't (and wouldn't want to) post a pic of myself right now or be "rated" or have my "doability" judged by a stranger. I post a pic of what (who) is (are) reminding me why I'm here. I should probably focus my time/energy on a group of members with a lot of weight to lose, who are more like me, and not worry about what others do. So yeah, I'm jealous. So yeah, truth is, it's just pretty annoying to see those posts...all...the...time. I should have made a constructive post in "suggestions" like people have pointed out. Sounds like what I was envisioning has been suggested already.

Trying to change not only my body but other things I don't like about myself too (kids do funny things to you), and this attitude is one of them.
  • 2BhappyBhealthy
    2BhappyBhealthy Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I was promised bacon in this thread. Where is the bacon?

BACON? :happy:
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    butthurt_zpsf20dcd7f.jpg
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Dear Americans and people who act like them:

It is not an inalienable right to not be offended.

^^^^^Amen.

I even find myself defending someone's right to offend me lol.
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    I somewhat agree with OP, but am also somewhat guilty. Oh well!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Okay...maybe a better question is...does anyone know of a FITNESS site that does the same thing as MFP with forum posts that stay more "on topic"? I see I've offended.

Pedophelia inference...real mature.

1) for free? No

2) where on earth did you get the pedophilia reference from?

3) are you sure you don't go be another name.....begins with eccentric?
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    ...I understand the point of this "chit-chat, fun, and games" thread, I really do. But, here's my issue.

I'm here for weight loss, fitness and nutrition tips, help and motivation. The boards can be overwhelming at times, so I like perusing the "Most Recent" on my home page, for a place to start. If I see something interesting, I'll do a search. But the "Recent" section is nice just for some much-needed motivation or maybe an idea I hadn't thought of.

But, never fails, the "Recent" posts are generally littered with "would you date the person above you", "say one word about the person above you," "what clique were you in, in high school", or the one that prompted this post..."F@ckable OR F@uck outta here". Really?

I just wish "those" posts could be relegated to an area where they could be accessed for those of you here for...well...I don't really know what reason...and that my home page...on this site that is supposedly dedicated to "fitness"...be limited to the reason for the site in the first place...uh yeah, fitness. Or better yet...believe it or not...they make sites TOTALLY dedicated to umm...trying to attract the attention of strangers on the internet. Who knew?

I don't mean to offend anyone participating in those threads...but honestly...we're not in high school, we're not "f@cking" the person above you, and the person who just guessed you were 32...was probably just being nice.

Like I tell my own girls: "You don't make the rules. You have two options -- play or don't play."
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

Honest truth, as more than one person has said or inferred...it probably is about the fact that you're right, I don't feel like I can participate in those threads because I can't (and wouldn't want to) post a pic of myself right now or be "rated" or have my "doability" judged by a stranger. I post a pic of what (who) is (are) reminding me why I'm here. I should probably focus my time/energy on a group of members with a lot of weight to lose, who are more like me, and not worry about what others do. So yeah, I'm jealous. So yeah, truth is, it's just pretty annoying to see those posts...all...the...time. I should have made a constructive post in "suggestions" like people have pointed out. Sounds like what I was envisioning has been suggested already.

Trying to change not only my body but other things I don't like about myself too (kids do funny things to you), and this attitude is one of them.

Would not hit.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I see no need in bashing, mocking, or ridiculing the OP for her post, but I do have to say...

The responses that are rabbit trailing all over the place - boobs, bacon, squirrel...
    they're making me laugh like crazy...

could be the head cold and espresso that's making me do that though.

The thing I like about the forums, is that a lot of people have a healthy sense of humor - and the chit chat section allows that humor to be expressed. When I'm freaking out about my scale, or muscle tone, or the fact that my diary is crap today... I go there to make me laugh. I need that in my feed.

I know if I'm F@ckable... so I don't visit those... easy peasy.

If I need something specific in terms of fitness... I go to the fitness board. Ditto nutrition. and yes, ditto chit chat.
    If I want a broad cross section to appease my espresso induced attention deficit... i go to recent posts.

:heart: it all.

keep making me laugh peeps!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options

Maybe you should look at this attitude in more depth, hun. We all have things about ourselves that hold us back, past monsters that lurk so we have to confront them before we can step into a glorious future, things that make us lash out at others before we lash out at that ugliness inside of us. Good on you for being self-aware enough.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    We all have things about ourselves that hold us back, past monsters that lurk so we have to confront them before we can step into a glorious future, things that make us lash out at others before we lash out at that ugliness inside of us.

Not me!
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Well, I know no one is really going to date me, so it is just a bit of light relief.

I disagree with the opening premise but see no need to get vile nor sarcastic nor personal about it.
  • JenKillough
    JenKillough Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Op-you're totally f@ckable.

:laugh:
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    We all have things about ourselves that hold us back, past monsters that lurk so we have to confront them before we can step into a glorious future, things that make us lash out at others before we lash out at that ugliness inside of us.

Not me!

You only think that is so
This discussion has been closed.