Wish there was a separate message board area...

Options
12346»

Replies

• gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Ok, point taken. Verbal beatdown accepted.

Honest truth, as more than one person has said or inferred...it probably is about the fact that you're right, I don't feel like I can participate in those threads because I can't (and wouldn't want to) post a pic of myself right now or be "rated" or have my "doability" judged by a stranger. I post a pic of what (who) is (are) reminding me why I'm here. I should probably focus my time/energy on a group of members with a lot of weight to lose, who are more like me, and not worry about what others do. So yeah, I'm jealous. So yeah, truth is, it's just pretty annoying to see those posts...all...the...time. I should have made a constructive post in "suggestions" like people have pointed out. Sounds like what I was envisioning has been suggested already.

Trying to change not only my body but other things I don't like about myself too (kids do funny things to you), and this attitude is one of them.
    That was a very reasonable response.

For the record, I don't care to be rated for my appearance either, not because I'm embarrassed or anything, but just because that's not why I'm here. Nor do I care to rate other people's appearances, just because I don't see the point. So I don't go on those threads. At first, I used to roll my eyes at the titles, but really, who am I to judge what other people want to talk about in their spare time? I post on the IMDb Teen Mom message board, for goodness sake! So I ignore the posts that don't interest me. Sounds like you intend to do the same, so good for you.
  • Punisher1130
    Punisher1130 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I see no need in bashing, mocking, or ridiculing the OP for her post, but I do have to say...

The responses that are rabbit trailing all over the place - boobs, bacon, squirrel...
    they're making me laugh like crazy...

could be the head cold and espresso that's making me do that though.

The thing I like about the forums, is that a lot of people have a healthy sense of humor - and the chit chat section allows that humor to be expressed. When I'm freaking out about my scale, or muscle tone, or the fact that my diary is crap today... I go there to make me laugh. I need that in my feed.

I know if I'm F@ckable... so I don't visit those... easy peasy.

If I need something specific in terms of fitness... I go to the fitness board. Ditto nutrition. and yes, ditto chit chat.
    If I want a broad cross section to appease my espresso induced attention deficit... i go to recent posts.

:heart: it all.

keep making me laugh peeps!

You F@ckable..... Hmmmm I'd never tell ;)

Did someone say bacon?!?!
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    We all have things about ourselves that hold us back, past monsters that lurk so we have to confront them before we can step into a glorious future, things that make us lash out at others before we lash out at that ugliness inside of us.

Not me!

You only think that is so

Because it's true.

I'm perfect!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options

Honest truth, as more than one person has said or inferred...it probably is about the fact that you're right, I don't feel like I can participate in those threads because I can't (and wouldn't want to) post a pic of myself right now or be "rated" or have my "doability" judged by a stranger. I post a pic of what (who) is (are) reminding me why I'm here. I should probably focus my time/energy on a group of members with a lot of weight to lose, who are more like me, and not worry about what others do. So yeah, I'm jealous. So yeah, truth is, it's just pretty annoying to see those posts...all...the...time. I should have made a constructive post in "suggestions" like people have pointed out. Sounds like what I was envisioning has been suggested already.

Trying to change not only my body but other things I don't like about myself too (kids do funny things to you), and this attitude is one of them.

And there's nothing that gets me like someone being honest and admitting they were wrong.

It's ok. We've all been there. That's why we're here. I didn't always look like this (ok all you can see is The Narrator but take my word for it I got myself in pretty decent shape using this site)

We all get jealous. The most in shape people you'll find here have painful insecurities they deal with. Trust me.

Work on changing your health and mental state together. it's important. And if you keep at it I'm sure you'll hit every goal you set for yourself.

Cheers mate.
  • holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    OP, this board is just not right for you. You can do so much better. Just break up....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    nvmd
  • calichica35
    calichica35 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

10 for being awesomely honest with yourself! And 10 for having such cute kids. And I got a lil crazy post partum too...hang in there!:flowerforyou:
  • alsunrise
    alsunrise Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers also has a "chit-chat" board, but it's called something different. I never ran across a board like these on Spark people, but I didn't really like spark so I didn't dig too deeply into it. I just ignore the threads that don't interest me.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...and for what it's worth, I agree with OP's general idea. My solution to this problem was to suggest that MFP add a filter option to the "recent forum posts" section so you could choose which categories were included...

...but it will probably meet the same fate as the suggestion for a more robust notification system: *crickets*

ETA: Still making my way through the five pages, but I think many are missing the point. OP isn't saying to do anything with "chit chat", she just wishes there was a way for it not to show up on *her* "recent forum posts" section on her main page. So do I.

Okay, now back to trying to catch up...

EATA: Well, that got all weird. Anyhow, regardless of OP's actual motives for starting this, I still wish there was a filter to select which forum categories showed up on the "recent forum posts" on *your own* home page. Would be a nice feature and would make *everybody* happy.
  • hamncheese67
    hamncheese67 Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    This is a huge community. I hang out at some forums for my personal hobbies and interests, but this is the largest collection of people I know of. It's a giant neighborhood and people have all kinds of interests. You just have to learn to filter through it and take advantage of what best suits you. Learning to ignore and not get bogged down in minutia will help anyone get through here. It's also best to remember that most things here are NOT personal. Things can be totally random.

By the way, here's a picture of a shaven pu$$y:

7039144_6814.jpg
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    psssst....click on the individual category from the home tab and get that sections recent posts.
    Great advice.

OP's initial question wasn't unreasonable. If you have a forum that highlights popular posts from six sub-groups in a 'Recent Topics' section, and one sub-group dominates that section, then 'Recent Topics' becomes somewhat redundant since you can get each sub-group's recent topics using the advice quoted above.

Technically, this could become a nontrivial exercise in dynamic weighting values, etc. Perhaps no easy way to implement this, and almost certainly no easy way to implement in a way that would please everyone.

OP's follow-ups (with condescending attitude and name-calling) exemplify why Chit-Chat is so popular. I know you are, but what am I?

[ETA] I now see the reasonable follow-up by OP. Truth is, you could make a very good argument for segmenting the social part of MFP. I'm not saying I would support that, but the argument makes sense.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    Op-you're totally f@ckable.

this is what I have to say about all this...........wa9it my banana is ringing
  • Krys_140
    Krys_140 Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Felt too mean.
This discussion has been closed.