1200 is not difficult.

Options

Replies

• marciat100
    marciat100 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 1200 in average, what is less than my "allowed" calories limit, considering that I am exercising.
    The point is that my weight is flat!
    I think this is related to pre-menopause (as my doctor says), but I would like to hear if eating less can be really impacting my weight loss.
    But, 1200 is not that hard to me.

I would like to hear from others opinions.

Thanks
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Possible? Yes. Plausible? No way.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Have you ever considered that perhaps the bodies of other people work differently from yours?

are you talking to the original poster (me)?
    if so, please re-read the post. I specifically said, "I'm not saying that a person with less to lose should restrict as much, but for me, and a lot of other people, losing the weight fast is more motivating to stick to their plan than being allowed to eat more but only losing .5 lbs a week. "

if you weren't talking to me, then i'm sorry... carry on. :)
  • arlenem1974
    arlenem1974 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have done 1200 and I don't eat yoghurt I did it without exercise but I'm short only 5"1. It isn't everyday either. Some times I find myself eating more just to get it to 1200.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Are you able to lift now to try and maintain as much LBM as possible?
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Member if you ever go on a 1200 calorie diet you have to make sure you get enough NUTRIENTS AND PROTEIN.
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options

YOU BENCHED 250LBS?!?!?!

Yes. Just once. Won a trophy.

Was it at the Olympics? How much can you cling and press?!?! Like, 1300?

clean and presses are olympic lifts. Bench pressing is a power lift - different competitions.
    Powerlifters bench, squat, and deadlift. My highest squat and deadlift were 300 I think. that was about a year or two after I lost the 100 lbs.

I'm sorry I called you out for that. I was wrong. I'm very jealous of that number! :flowerforyou:
    [/quote]

no problem. I don't get offended easily. I don't talk about it much because the timeline gets complicated (lost 100lbs, gained back 20, competed in powerlifting events, stopped due to back injury. Fast forward 8 years... gained 80lbs), plus it feels silly to mention it since it's in the past. The only time I ever really bring it up is when someone implies that I'll lose all my lean mass. I picture a skinny me walking around on jello legs and unable to hold up my own arms, but the truth is what someone else said- for NOW, losing fat is more important for me. I can always gain the muscle later.
    [/quote]

so jealous of those numbers. That crazy! You were so strong!
  • Nina2503
    Nina2503 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I've been reading the forums tonight and have read around 10 different posts from people saying that 1200 is impossible, or that unless they workout, there's no calories left for dinner, or that 1200 calories a day translates to starving yourself or living on only salads.

My diary is open- I eat 3 meals a day and 2 snacks. If you eat healthy, real food, 1200 calories is not difficult and I'm not starving. make good choices and avoid garbage - then if you go over, it's not a big deal. sometimes I'm under 1200 - I get busy and don't want to eat at 10pm just to get calories in.

Btw, I started at 255, 2 months ago and have lost 29lbs and feel good. I'm not saying that a person with less to lose should restrict as much, but for me, and a lot of other people, losing the weight fast is more motivating to stick to their plan than being allowed to eat more but only losing .5 lbs a week.

I totally agree. I find it hard to reach 1200 a day. I eat manily fresh veggies, fruit and lean meats which obviously have very few calories. I have even started eating an extra snack just to get to 1200 calories. My diary is alos open for those who do not believe me. it kinda annoys me seeing people who blow all their calories in one meal then starve for the rest of the day. Thats doing more harm than good. but I guess each to their own. Eating protein based meals also really helps with feeling full too!

These ^^^^^

We are all different and live diffferent lifestyles.

1200 currently works for me, as above (and am losing average of 1lb per week), I eat a lot of vegetables, lean meats, fruit, I tend to have 3 small meals and 2 snacks, so I do eat every 2 to 3 hours. I dont eat crap, junk.processed food as a rule except once a week I have one easy meal, generally frozen pre breaded fish/ and a few (english hot) chips that gets cooked in the oven and only do this as I am on a tight time schedule that evening. I also find it not as filling and sustaining as more healthy food

I find this a high calorie meal and it is very small compared to what I mormally eat so I certainly couldnt do 1200 a day and eat processed food, and find diaries where people stick to 1200 and eat one or two meals of junk each day scary - that cannot be healthy

I dont do exercise during the week, I dont have the time but do at the weekend (mainly walking) I do and I do eat back the calories (or use them for a drink or two)

I dont feel deprived or hungry, I balance my carbs/protein/ I watch my calcium intake and fat, I eat plenty of fibre, and I do take a vit b supplement.

I feel better now than I did when i started this nearly 8 weeks ago, I no longer feel bloated, tired or lethargic.
  • NaturallyOlivia
    NaturallyOlivia Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    On an average, non-cheat day, i don't even eat half that amount. And I'm not starving, I don't even really feel hungry. It's a mental thing mostly. We are creatures of habit. We are accustomed to eating 2300 cal a day or whatever so we think we need it. we not only need to retrain our body, but we need to change the way we think as well. And caffiene. that helps too.
  • DaphneAtx
    DaphneAtx Posts: 153
    Options
    I also eat 1200 and am doing just fine losing. Everyone is different, so why argue about this?
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Great if that works for you, but don't assume it works for everyone. What's "not that hard" for you can be difficult for others. You come off as very condescending and dismissive of other people's needs and experiences.

And for God's sake, people need to stop using being short as an excuse to eat drastically fewer calories than everyone else. It's NOT the only factor for your calorie goal. I'm 5'3 and lose steadily at 1600 calories.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Well I don't think my friends, family, neighbors , or anyone I come into contact with would want to see me existing on 1200 because I would be a raving witch. My workouts average around 3000 calories burned so I need quite a bit more fuel than that. I'm glad it's working for you but you sound pretty snooty the way you phrased it. Ok, swell. Its not hard for you. For others it may be. Just like I don't expect everyone can work out for 4 hours a day. We all have different lives, bodies, experiences, health conditions. Everyone needs to have the freedom to do their own thing.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    On an average, non-cheat day, i don't even eat half that amount. And I'm not starving, I don't even really feel hungry. It's a mental thing mostly. We are creatures of habit. We are accustomed to eating 2300 cal a day or whatever so we think we need it. we not only need to retrain our body, but we need to change the way we think as well. And caffiene. that helps too.
    You better get your serum leptin concentration levels tested if you are eating less than 600 calories a day and have altered satiety signaling. Getting your bone mass density examined would be wise, too, if you've been chronically restricted calories to that degree.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    My diary is open too. Most days I actually have trouble REACHING 1200 and I am NOT hungry. I have weird hours too, I am up at 10:30 until 3am. I do eat light around 11pm.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Are you able to lift now to try and maintain as much LBM as possible?

was going to say the same thing.

It's a hell of a lot easier to retain LBM than it is to gain it (especially for women).
  • drea85an
    drea85an Posts: 130
    Options
    As someone who has lost well over 100lbs, and kept it off for three years (and tried it ALL, including 900 calories a day and 2 hours of workout a day) slow and steady keeps it off, and 1200 calories a day does not work for everyone.

It might work for you forever, you might cave in a month and binge eat. YOu never know. The average active woman needs more than 1200 calories a day.

That said, I eat 1200 a day because I have pcos and I don't lose anything if i eat more than that, but i am always starving.
    Everyone is different.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    5646151585_tumblr_lud4rpWsaZ1qzjqrio1_500_answer_4_xlarge.png

82o5l.jpg

FGToad.gif
  • jesz124
    jesz124 Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    I just simply cannot be bothered to read through this whole thread, got through the first 2 pages and there was enough BS on there to last me at least the next couple of weeks. The simple fact is, and it is fact, that if you restrict yourself to 1200 cals a day you are losing muscle mass along with fat. This will eventually come back and bite you on the *kitten* as the less muscle mass you have the fewer calories you burn on a daily basis, and when you eat normally again your body will lay down fat like it's going out of fashion. Can you not see it's basic physics that by eating at 1200 you are only setting yourself up for future failure? It's not us against you, it's just common sense that you are eating away at your muscle mass and only making things harder for yourself in the future.
  • painauxraisin
    painauxraisin Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I am not losing on 1200 and I am one of those people who have trouble staying that low. I workout everyday (30 day shred) swim a solid hour twice a week and dance the night away on saturdays. I should be able to eat more and lose but as soon as I go over the weight starts to creep back on. I don't have much to lose so I know it's going to be harder now.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I sustained 1200 calories for exactly one week. I couldn't do it. I couldn't handle being hungry all the time. Everyone is different; what works for you may not work for me, and vice versa.