1200 is not difficult.

Options

Replies

• Marie4106
    Options
    I was at 1400 calories but I was working out and burning almost 900 calories in one session and I was so hungry by the time I went to bed so I bumped it up to 1600 calories but I only do 14:smile: 00 on the day I don't workout and that helped a lot and I am still loosing weight. If it works for you and you are healthy that is all that matters.:smile:
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here's a brief summary of the thread:

Original post:
    "hey, I started eating really healthy and it's been easy to maintain my calorie deficit. I have a decent amount to lose and it's been working for me, but I'm not saying I would recommend this to anyone."

Replies:
    "I can't believe you're recommending this to everyone"
    "You sound very snotty"
    "I'm a completely different height, weight, gender, and activity level than you and what you do wouldn't work for me, therefore, you're completely wrong"
    "You'll gain it all back, whereas I will be successful for life."
    "That works for me too, thanks".
    "8oz of yogurt for breakfast?? OMG!!!!!"

Your title is "1200 calories is not difficult". Not "not difficult for me".
    You said it wasn't difficult because you ate healthy food and cut out garbage, implying that people who can't survive on 1200 are eating garbage. I simply said that I could not survive on your meals, that 1200 calories the way you eat WOULD be difficult and gave an example of yogurt. Pretty sure there was no "OMG" in there. my point was 1200 can, in fact, be difficult contrary to your statement it is not.
    I realize from your other posts what your intention was, however, your title and your oringal post did not reflect that.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i agree, 1200 calories is not difficult if you really are trying. on the days i go over its because i'm eating crap and i'm fully aware of that. the sad part is the crap i eat on those days doesnt even fill me up, so i'm still hungry whereas on the 1200 calorie days that i eat the correct foods i feel satisfied.

edit- and obviously i eat my exercise calories back.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day makes people want to avoid me. I hate everyone and want to eat a baby. I'd rather keep my friends and family and importantly I'd rather stay married.

My doc tells me to never go under 1500 calories. I stay around 1700 -2100 a day. And I'm happier, healthier, & building some sexy muscles.

I'm not one to deprive myself. I eat and drink and mainly focus on my protein and exercise routines.

but if it works for you - good. just dont eat any babies

but babies are high in protein.
    :)
    thanks for being amongst the people who know how to respond with "this doesn't work for me, but i'm glad it works for you."

Keep up the good work everyone. Do what works for you.
  • xxcandywrathxx
    xxcandywrathxx Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    if i eat lots and lots of green vegetables, I find myself full and way under my calorie goal.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    I sustained 1200 calories for exactly one week. I couldn't do it. I couldn't handle being hungry all the time. Everyone is different; what works for you may not work for me, and vice versa.

if you keep it up your stomache will shrink meaning that smaller portions will fill you up and you will not feel hungry.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options

Original post:
    "hey, I started eating really healthy and it's been easy to maintain my calorie deficit. I have a decent amount to lose and it's been working for me, but I'm not saying I would recommend this to anyone."

Replies:
    "You sound very snotty"
    "I'm a completely different height, weight, gender, and activity level than you and what you do wouldn't work for me, therefore, you're completely wrong"

You said it wasn't difficult because you ate healthy food and cut out garbage, implying that people who can't survive on 1200 are eating garbage. I simply said that I could not survive on your meals, that 1200 calories the way you eat WOULD be difficult and gave an example of yogurt. Pretty sure there was no "OMG" in there.
    I realize from your other posts what your intention was, however, your title and your oringal post did not reflect that.

wow. i didn't imply anything other than if i you eat a lot of garbage, it's hard to eat at 1200. It's not impossible, but it's not healthy.
    but you're right. 1200 is not difficult FOR ME. you are correct and I should have clarified that for those who get offended easily.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Eventually it will stop. And you will try harder and harder to lose. You decrease your calories thinking you need to eat less or increase activity trying to burn more. When fact of the matter is you've plateaued - you body no longer intends to try and survive on such a defcit. It's basic daily functions take priority and if that means storing energy then so be it. You may hate your body the your body loves you and will do anything to keep you alive. Storing fat is one of them. At this time, your metabolism slows to store everything as fat adjusting to the lack of energy intake needed. You may lose a little weight, yes. It's bone density and lean body mass you're giving up. So as you stare at that scale only caring about the number rather than the composition you slowly allow your vital pieces to begin wasting away to a malnutrition. Paying no mind to the loss in libido, poor cognitive ability, general fatigue, loss in strength or emotion.

Then you reach your weight goal. Congrats! What now? Back to eating more? More of what? Even at this point it doesnt matter your body decides its going to store it away in adipose tissue for fear you'll disrespect it again. What should happen if you, lets say, go binging after such a long deficit and gain 10lbs back (which is very likely). Well, maybe you're the same weight from where you started but now higher in BF%. Was is worth it?

Hi, first off, I read your profile and see that you are well educated in fitness and nutrition, so I will not dispute your expertise in that area. I also looked at your past 7 full days of food diaries. You averaged around 1780/day.

You are a 20 year old male, with next to no body fat and a LOT of muscles. No doubt you spend a lot of time in the gym and burn a lot of calories. You only have 4 pounds left to lose to get to your weight class.

Compare yourself to the OP who is- a FEMALE, 45 years old, 60 pounds overweight, and is not a bodybuilder or competitive athlete. At 1200 cals, she is eating around 580 calories less per day than you are eating, and is now averaging around 2 pounds a week weight loss. I can guarantee that you are burning more than 580 calories above what she burns every day. So why is her calorie level so shocking to you and some others? Why aren't people screaming at you to eat more?

When you look at people as individuals, and consider their particular situation, the caloric needs can vary greatly between one person and another. Stating that her body will turn on her because she is eating at too large of a deficit, yet you are eating at an even larger deficit than she is, is very hypocritical, and not accurate. You lose credibility as a fitness professional when you make blanket statements like that.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day makes people want to avoid me. I hate everyone and want to eat a baby. I'd rather keep my friends and family and importantly I'd rather stay married.

My doc tells me to never go under 1500 calories. I stay around 1700 -2100 a day. And I'm happier, healthier, & building some sexy muscles.

I'm not one to deprive myself. I eat and drink and mainly focus on my protein and exercise routines.

but if it works for you - good. just dont eat any babies

but babies are high in protein.
    thanks for being amongst the people who know how to respond with "this doesn't work for me, but i'm glad it works for you."

Keep up the good work everyone. Do what works for you.

next time I'm binge eating I might consider it :P

one of the fun things about this particular forum - everyone has an opinion and they're not shy about expressing it.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    I started at 196, ate 1200 cals or less and did cardio every day, yea I lost weight super fast and got down to 147, now I'm stuck and have been stuck for over a year. Now I eat 200 cals and weight train my weight is 155 but I'm much leaner and stronger. My point is I wish someone told me from the very beginning to eat more and incorporate weights because I would probably have my dream body by now, over 2 years later. Not eating enough for your body size and height s just a quick fix but in the long run its not worth it.
  • Girl_Bomb
    Girl_Bomb Posts: 195
    Options
    I started at 196, ate 1200 cals or less and did cardio every day, yea I lost weight super fast and got down to 147, now I'm stuck and have been stuck for over a year. Now I eat 200 cals and weight train my weight is 155 but I'm much leaner and stronger. My point is I wish someone told me from the very beginning to eat more and incorporate weights because I would probably have my dream body by now, over 2 years later. Not eating enough for your body size and height s just a quick fix but in the long run its not worth it.

2000***
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Good for you.

When you reach a plateau, come back around and we can help you break that.

BTW, I weighed 4 pounds MORE than I do now 2 years ago and people kept asking me if I was sick. This is because I was under eating and not getting the nutrition my body needed. The same woman that asked me 2 years ago if I was okay told me last Saturday that I looked so healthy. The difference? I am eating more and getting nutrients from food, not just watching the calories I eat.

I am living a healthy life today so I can be there for people that need me tomorrow. Being thin is a great side effect.

I turned 44 in August. Feel free to look at my pictures, you will see that by properly fueling my body as well as giving it the nutrition it needs, I look no where near my age.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Original post:

Replies:
    "You sound very snotty"

You said it wasn't difficult because you ate healthy food and cut out garbage, implying that people who can't survive on 1200 are eating garbage. I simply said that I could not survive on your meals, that 1200 calories the way you eat WOULD be difficult and gave an example of yogurt. Pretty sure there was no "OMG" in there.

wow. i didn't imply anything other than if i you eat a lot of garbage, it's hard to eat at 1200. It's not impossible, but it's not healthy.
    but you're right. 1200 is not difficult FOR ME. you are correct and I should have clarified that for those who get offended easily.

I am anything but offended. I was home sick last night and simply participating in an online forum. Just because I post an opposing opinion does not mean I am offended by it.
    I think you are missing what I am saying completely.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    The 1200 thing is the one thing you can ALWAYS count on to come up at least 5 times a week.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    Good for you.

When you reach a plateau, come back around and we can help you break that.

BTW, I weighed 4 pounds MORE than I do now 2 years ago and people kept asking me if I was sick. This is because I was under eating and not getting the nutrition my body needed. The same woman that asked me 2 years ago if I was okay told me last Saturday that I looked so healthy. The difference? I am eating more and getting nutrients from food, not just watching the calories I eat.

I am living a healthy life today so I can be there for people that need me tomorrow. Being thin is a great side effect.

I turned 44 in August. Feel free to look at my pictures, you will see that by properly fueling my body as well as giving it the nutrition it needs, I look no where near my age.

well that's great! You look good!
    I assume you'll help all the people that plateau on higher calorie deficits as well?

Its too bad that you weren't getting the nutrition you needed. That's a problem for a lot of people, no matter how much they eat if they're not eating healthy. I'm pretty sure that I'm getting in most of the right stuff at 1200 cals, which was the point of this thread btw, not telling anyone that's the amount they should eat.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    if i eat lots and lots of green vegetables, I find myself full and way under my calorie goal.

You still need to get to your calorie goal..if you are full on green veggies, how do you reach your goal ?
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    Yes but I'm eating 2000+ cals a day and feel great, am losing at a steady pace AND have TONS of energy. I would MUCH rather eat more real and healthy foods than not :)
  • Shagi
    Shagi Posts: 19
    Options
    OMG ,what are you guys talking about?!!!! 1200
    calories are too much if you want to lose weight:(((
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say that I'm so happy that I can lose weight eating 3000 calories. Some of the daily totals you guys are touting is my breakfast.
  • angelinabarnes
    Options
    i go slighlty over and i'm still losing weight,some days i'm really under as i'm too busy to eat.. 1,200 is more than enough for me, i feel like i'm eating more than ever x