1200 is not difficult.

Options

Replies

• SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    This is my first rant in the 6 months of using this site.

DEFINITION: know–all/ˈnoʊˌɑ:l/noun. A know-it-all or know-all is a person who obnoxiously purports an expansive comprehension of a topic and/or situation when in reality, his/her comprehension is inaccurate or limited.

After hearing over and over again from people who are over 100 pounds overweight and who have "lost" 30 pounds in 8 weeks and then become self styled experts-I just want to barf....

Sometimes you can cut the SMUGNESS on this site with a knife. If you're such an expert on proper nutrition then how on earth did you GAIN the weight in the first place?

If it's so easy to live a normal and healthy life and lose weight (and keep it off) while having a rich social life, raising a family, maintaining a strong relationship with a significant other, growing a complex and demanding business, traveling often, and loving to cook --then I'd like to know the "magic" formula.

1200 calories a day IS DIFFICULT for people to achieve when their diet has previously consisted of very large high calorie meals and snacks. It can take months to reset your metabolism (and stomach!) to feel full with regular and lower fat portions. People making the commitment to do this need our support not thinly veiled criticism in the guise of "look at me".
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    This is my first rant in the 6 months of using this site.

DEFINITION: know–all/ˈnoʊˌɑ:l/noun. A know-it-all or know-all is a person who obnoxiously purports an expansive comprehension of a topic and/or situation when in reality, his/her comprehension is inaccurate or limited.

After hearing over and over again from people who are over 100 pounds overweight and who have "lost" 30 pounds in 8 weeks and then become self styled experts-I just want to barf....

Sometimes you can cut the SMUGNESS on this site with a knife. If you're such an expert on proper nutrition then how on earth did you GAIN the weight in the first place?

If it's so easy to live a normal and healthy life and lose weight (and keep it off) while having a rich social life, raising a family, maintaining a strong relationship with a significant other, growing a complex and demanding business, traveling often, and loving to cook --then I'd like to know the "magic" formula.

1200 calories a day IS DIFFICULT for people to achieve when their diet has previously consisted of very large high calorie meals and snacks. It can take months to reset your metabolism (and stomach!) to feel full with regular and lower fat portions. People making the commitment to do this need our support not thinly veiled criticism in the guise of "look at me".

I love you right now. :smooched:
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Great if that works for you, but don't assume it works for everyone. What's "not that hard" for you can be difficult for others. You come off as very condescending and dismissive of other people's needs and experiences.

And for God's sake, people need to stop using being short as an excuse to eat drastically fewer calories than everyone else. It's NOT the only factor for your calorie goal. I'm 5'3 and lose steadily at 1600 calories.

Me? Lol... dear , reread my posts. I havent ever said what works for anyone else but me. In fact, from my first post here and a few more times I stressed that this is only what works for ME and that everyone is different and should do what works for them.
    Some of you are quick on the draw but theres no gun fight. This isnt a thread giving advice, other than eating healthy makrs low cal dieting easier.
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    Are you able to lift now to try and maintain as much LBM as possible?

Between a sprained back from squatting and a dislocated shoulder from falling off a ladder, i cant lift heavy and wasnt lifting at all forvyears. I probably have average to slightly higher strength now. Im going to start lifting lightly in a week or two and then heavier again (carefully) eventually.

This thread is funny.people get so annoyed and defensive. Everyone is different.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    <snip>

You're a guy. (in case you didn't know). and closer to your goal, i bet. probably even taller than me, unless you're a super short guy.
    I would think 1200 would be too low for you too.

I have women 5'2" eating 2k-2300 and losing fat at a good clip.
    these are heavier women who work out 3-4x a week.
    At sedentary they are at about 1500cals.

Sounds like you just dont want to eat.

Also with the injuries you need building blocks to repair.
    Maybe a diet break until you heal is in order.
    Good luck with the bounce back.

To better understand my point of view you'd need a good understanding of fat and energy balance.
    To make things simple i'll post this:
    The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

So if you produce 2000-2500 cals a day in energy but eat at 40-50% of that, at what point would fat not be needed?
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    walrus.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm not looking to be a bikini model, but if I suddenly find myself without any leg muscles because of the rapid loss, I'll just make more. :)

Catch 22 though, as you'll need to significantly increase your calories to "make more". I'm assuming you're talking about gaining lean muscle mass?

Why would you want to lose it and have to gain it back again when you could simply increase your calories to a reasonable level now, lose slower and have a better chance or retaining muscle?
    I have a lot (a lot is relative of course, but I need to lose at least 65 more).
    I could do it slowly, and get discouraged at the slow loss, and either give up, or get to my goal in another year or 2. Or I could do it quicker and remain motivated, and incorporate muscle building when I get closer to my goal.
    FOR ME, the answer is easy.

on a side note, as I've said earlier I've lost a lot of weight before, very quickly. I was not without muscletone at the end. in fact, I looked great and was quite strong (I benched 250 after gaining back 20lbs... so either I only gained muscle, or I was already fairly strong and hadn't really lost much muscle at all)

YOU BENCHED 250LBS?!?!?!

Yes. Just once. Won a trophy.

How much can you cling and press?!?! Like, 1300?

Edit: Women's world records range from 206-430lbs in different weight classes. I redact the Olympics comment. Stand by the cling and press question.

When I was only 15, I got up to 175 pounds with the bench press. (No clue what cling and press is) But I could do leg presses (on the machine) for 350 pounds. It is true that some women, especially ones that begin sports/weight training at an early age, that have higher strength. I have no doubt that if I hadn't quit lifting that I would be well over 250 by now.

I have always had very strong legs (15 years of soccer and basketball, among other things), but for my arms....there's no way I could do that now, I'm sure, maybe 100 pounds, but I doubt I could still do 175. I haven't tried though, so you never know.

I remember a time at church when I was a teenager.....men were moving those long folding tables for a church dinner. They were two men each carrying the tables. I picked one up by myself and carried it with little effort, and they all stopped and stared, even my dad. :laugh:

ETA: A friend of mine, one year older, who also lifted and always beat me at arm wrestling, could bench 225 at 16 years old.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I just simply cannot be bothered to read through this whole thread, got through the first 2 pages and there was enough BS on there to last me at least the next couple of weeks. The simple fact is, and it is fact, that if you restrict yourself to 1200 cals a day you are losing muscle mass along with fat. This will eventually come back and bite you on the *kitten* as the less muscle mass you have the fewer calories you burn on a daily basis, and when you eat normally again your body will lay down fat like it's going out of fashion. Can you not see it's basic physics that by eating at 1200 you are only setting yourself up for future failure? It's not us against you, it's just common sense that you are eating away at your muscle mass and only making things harder for yourself in the future.

80 grams of protein is only 320 calories. That leaves 880 left for fats and carbs. If they are getting enough protein and exercising then they are not necessarily losing a bunch of LBM.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I just simply cannot be bothered to read through this whole thread, got through the first 2 pages and there was enough BS on there to last me at least the next couple of weeks. The simple fact is, and it is fact, that if you restrict yourself to 1200 cals a day you are losing muscle mass along with fat. This will eventually come back and bite you on the *kitten* as the less muscle mass you have the fewer calories you burn on a daily basis, and when you eat normally again your body will lay down fat like it's going out of fashion. Can you not see it's basic physics that by eating at 1200 you are only setting yourself up for future failure? It's not us against you, it's just common sense that you are eating away at your muscle mass and only making things harder for yourself in the future.

80 grams of protein is only 320 calories. That leaves 880 left for fats and carbs. If they are getting enough protein and exercising then they are not necessarily losing a bunch of LBM.

Depends on the exercise.
    And depends on the age, height, weight, body fat% and activity of the individual in question.
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    This thread is funny.people get so annoyed and defensive. Everyone is different.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html
  • Amlong1977
    Amlong1977 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry OP, but this thread is not going to end well for you.

People are going to jump all over you, you're going to get angry, and it's going to devolve in to a debate about starvation mode.

1200 calories is a BARE MINIMUM to get adequate nutrition. You're likely sacrificing muscle mass by losing so fast, and you're going to hit an early plateau. I don't want to attack you, I'm happy for your success thus far, but that's the truth.

The point should also be made that hunger is not a good barometer for adequate intake. Consider obese people, who eat, say, 7000 calories a day. They still get hungry between meals, despite getting plenty of calories. Also, people on VLCD's lose their regular appetite. Hunger is largely a trained behavior- you get hungry when you're used to eating. Think about when you have a big breakfast- often you'll still be hungry at your regular lunch time. Hunger can't be trusted.
    I don't agree with this at all. I've been at this close to a year, workout 7 days a week & am still losing weight on
    1200 calories. That right there is proof that it does work for some. I've plateaued a few times like everyone else with as much weight to lose as I have, but I've over come it every time by switching things up with exercise, eating more or less of my exercise calories back, things like that. Get off the poor girls *kitten* for stating her opinion. Everyone's different. :)
  • Jester522
    Jester522 Posts: 392
    Options
    Eventually it will stop. And you will try harder and harder to lose. You decrease your calories thinking you need to eat less or increase activity trying to burn more. When fact of the matter is you've plateaued - you body no longer intends to try and survive on such a defcit. It's basic daily functions take priority and if that means storing energy then so be it. You may hate your body the your body loves you and will do anything to keep you alive. Storing fat is one of them. At this time, your metabolism slows to store everything as fat adjusting to the lack of energy intake needed. You may lose a little weight, yes. It's bone density and lean body mass you're giving up. So as you stare at that scale only caring about the number rather than the composition you slowly allow your vital pieces to begin wasting away to a malnutrition. Paying no mind to the loss in libido, poor cognitive ability, general fatigue, loss in strength or emotion.

Then you reach your weight goal. Congrats! What now? Back to eating more? More of what? Even at this point it doesnt matter your body decides its going to store it away in adipose tissue for fear you'll disrespect it again. What should happen if you, lets say, go binging after such a long deficit and gain 10lbs back (which is very likely). Well, maybe you're the same weight from where you started but now higher in BF%. Was is worth it?
  • gabriellejayde
    Options
    Here's a brief summary of the thread:

Original post:
    "hey, I started eating really healthy and it's been easy to maintain my calorie deficit. I have a decent amount to lose and it's been working for me, but I'm not saying I would recommend this to anyone."

Replies:
    "I can't believe you're recommending this to everyone"
    "You sound very snotty"
    "I'm a completely different height, weight, gender, and activity level than you and what you do wouldn't work for me, therefore, you're completely wrong"
    "You'll gain it all back, whereas I will be successful for life."
    "That works for me too, thanks".
    "8oz of yogurt for breakfast?? OMG!!!!!"
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Your BMR is the number of calories to MAINTAIN your current weight if you are sedentary.

Wow. Just wow. My BMR is 1400, and if I sit at my desk all day (sedentary) my TDEE is 1900. Get your facts straight please.

Also, nobody is trying to scare anyone. Why eat 1200 per day if you can lose eating between BMR and TDEE?

So your BMR is 1400. Truly sedentary means lying in bed all day. You move around some, daily activities and walking into your office, to the bathroom, etc and burn 1900 a day=your TDEE. Your TDEE is 500 calories above your BMR, therefore if you eat 1400 cals at this activity level you would theoretically lose 1 pound per week. If you eat 1900 calories, you will MAINTAIN your weight.

So tell me where I am wrong in my facts? My point was that your BMR is what your body burns while being completely sedentary. This number is to maintain your current weight, NOT to simply keep you alive. A person in a coma can stay alive and have organs functioning on much fewer calories than that.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Original post:
    "hey, I started eating really healthy and it's been easy to maintain my calorie deficit. I have a decent amount to lose and it's been working for me, but I'm not saying I would recommend this to anyone."

Replies:
    "You sound very snotty"
    "I'm a completely different height, weight, gender, and activity level than you and what you do wouldn't work for me, therefore, you're completely wrong"

Yep, welcome to the MFP forums!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Original post:

Replies:
    "You sound very snotty"

:laugh:
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

Original post:

Replies:
    "You sound very snotty"

Not entirely true. The way you phrased it and the way you've reacted to people who have disagreed with you was condescending. Acting like your way is the only way and you're God's gift to diet and fitness isn't going to get a lot of credit on here. I think if you had phrased the topic post differently and not been so rude, you would not have received the negative feedback you did.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day makes people want to avoid me. I hate everyone and want to eat a baby. I'd rather keep my friends and family and importantly I'd rather stay married.

My doc tells me to never go under 1500 calories. I stay around 1700 -2100 a day. And I'm happier, healthier, & building some sexy muscles.

I'm not one to deprive myself. I eat and drink and mainly focus on my protein and exercise routines.

but if it works for you - good. just dont eat any babies
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Depends on the exercise.
    And depends on the age, height, weight, body fat% and activity of the individual in question.

True, but it's not impossible. All of the factors you give should also be used to determine if 1200 is even the correct calorie goal. It *is* an appropriate level for certain people. (Thank God it's not for me :tongue: )
  • gabriellejayde
    Options

Original post:

Replies:
    "You sound very snotty"

Not entirely true. The way you phrased it and the way you've reacted to people who have disagreed with you was condescending. Acting like your way is the only way and you're God's gift to diet and fitness isn't going to get a lot of credit on here. I think if you had phrased the topic post differently and not been so rude, you would not have received the negative feedback you did.

please show me where i was rude and anywhere that I say it's only my way. because I have repeatedly said that this works for ME, but everyone should do what works for them. I am pretty sure I haven't been nasty to anyone, including the people (such as yourself...) who were not really nice in their response, but I would welcome anything to the contrary and gladly offer an apology.