Do you eat Cereal?

Options

Replies

• hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I eat Bran Flakes or Porridge most mornings - this morning just had a banana
  • DeannaPaige1
    DeannaPaige1 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I love honey nut cheerios! I 3/4 cup almost everyday weather it will be for breakfast or a snake..It's only 120 calories..and that's what I mainly go by. I lost 50 in 7 months..I may of lost more if I'd cut the cereal out but it's a healthy amount in the time I lost it.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    jackibailey wrote:
    ... the serving size is so small it doesn't keep me full.
    I don't want to see that tiny little bowl full.

There should be a thread on this. Don't allow the marketing department of corporations tell you what 'serving size' is right for your body. The serving for a 20 year old male construction worker isn't the same as for an 80 year old female. That's why many foods are 'per 100 g'. It's independent of serving size and maps directly onto percentage.

Measure with a digital food scale and log everything you eat. You'll soon see which meal has inappropriate serving sizes for your body.

What? Sorry have to scratch my head on this? A serving size is simply a unit of measure and to inform the consumer of the ratio of food contents to food size and mass. There is no marketing fooling and a serving size is not based on the eater of that serving size... There is no promise that a "serving size" is meant to do any thing for you nutritionally or fill you up etc. For example on this topic of cereal - all cereal adds say its a "part of a balanced breakfast" which is way beyond what other companies pitch for their food stuffs. Meaning according to the cereal processors they suggest eating other items with the cereal to make a balanced meal which is much much more than what any other food seller does.

It is just a unit of measure. So obviously a 3/4 cup of cereal with 130 calories is higher calorie content per unit of measure comparable to a 1 cup serving at 140. Its not marketing fooling its consumer stupidity and inability to do basic math !
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    p.s I just ate a bowl full of BOO BERRY cereal... oh Boo Berry you only come once a year...
  • Irmavo
    Irmavo Posts: 1
    Options
    I eat Kashi and find it keeps me full until snack time. Also, steel cut oats are a good option full of nutrients and fibre!
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I eat cereal almost every morning. It could be Golden Puffs or Cheerios. I just measure and count the calories. Love my cereal.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Yup...Cheerios!!
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    As a kid I ate cornflakes, weetabix or Frosties. In my 20's I read a book on how cereal was the worst thing for you as it is highly processed and contains little to no nutrients.

Recently speaking to a nutritionist cereals have changed and she convinced me to try again. I bought

Mom's Healthy Secrets (Canadian)
    Holy Crap (Canadian)
    Kashi

I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on cereal and if you eat cereal which one?

Stay blessed, lose weight and thanks in advance for your suggestions

Yes probably at least a couple of times a week - when I was a kid I used to have a bowl in the morning, and one when I got in from school... I probably have a bowl in the afternoon/after dinner now and opt for greek yoghurt and honey/grapefruit/protein in the mornings after a workout...

I usually have one grownup one (branflakes, alpen, weetabix, shredded wheat) and one less grownup (Kellogs brands, sugarpuffs) in the house at any one time...
  • rainghirl
    rainghirl Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit and nut muesli with low fat milk or zero fat yoghurt. It starts me up for the day, even though it's higher in calories than stuff like Special K. I often go for a run before breakfast, so I'm pretty hungry by the time I have it.
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I rarely eat Cereal but if i do it has to be Kashi. I usually have oatmeal with raisins. Yum
  • i_love_nature
    Options
    I enjoy Honey Nut Cheerios and Rice Krispy anytime of the day
  • CaseRat
    CaseRat Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I had 3 bowls today...oops. Fattie, here I come.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    EVERYDAY OF MY LIFE!!!! I love cereal :)

Was doing Special K Red Berries.

This week I switched to plain old Cornflakes. Surprisingly it has less calories and less sugar.
  • mreffle
    mreffle Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Love me some cereal..... Krave Double Chocolate, Reese's Puff"s, Go Lean Crunch with Almonds, Coco Pebbles, Chocolate Frosted Flakes are all hanging out in my cupboard. I just have to make that choice in the morning of who is going swimming in the 1% Milk.... LOL Best of Luck./....

(OT) The Krave TV commercials are absolutely hilarious! Haven't seen them in Canadian stores yet though.
    Seriously though, I do have my H-N Cheerios every morning (measured) and skim milk (measured), and it keeps me going until mid-morning snack, which is usually fruit or Oikos yogurt, or a protein bar.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Barbara's Puffins Cereal - Original. Nice lightly sweet taste, starts out crunchy, but if you let it soak it gets soggy (which I like :P)
    Just make sure you don't get the shredded oats version, I always grab the wrong box and I don't like the shredded stuff :(

Serving Size: 3/4 cup (27.0 g)

Amount per Serving
    Calories 90
    Calories from Fat 9.0
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1g 1%
    Saturated Fat 0g 0%
    Cholesterol 0mg 0%
    Sodium 190mg 7%
    Total Carbohydrate 23g 7%
    Dietary Fiber 5g 20%
    Sugars 5g
    Protein 2g 4%
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My two main cereals for the past year or so have been Nature's Path Heritage Flakes and Special K Multigrain Oats and Honey. I also use Blue Diamond Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    jackibailey wrote:
    ... the serving size is so small it doesn't keep me full.
    I don't want to see that tiny little bowl full.

There should be a thread on this. Don't allow the marketing department of corporations tell you what 'serving size' is right for your body. The serving for a 20 year old male construction worker isn't the same as for an 80 year old female. That's why many foods are 'per 100 g'. It's independent of serving size and maps directly onto percentage.

Measure with a digital food scale and log everything you eat. You'll soon see which meal has inappropriate serving sizes for your body.

What? Sorry have to scratch my head on this? A serving size is simply a unit of measure and to inform the consumer of the ratio of food contents to food size and mass. There is no marketing fooling and a serving size is not based on the eater of that serving size... There is no promise that a "serving size" is meant to do any thing for you nutritionally or fill you up etc. For example on this topic of cereal - all cereal adds say its a "part of a balanced breakfast" which is way beyond what other companies pitch for their food stuffs. Meaning according to the cereal processors they suggest eating other items with the cereal to make a balanced meal which is much much more than what any other food seller does.

It is just a unit of measure. So obviously a 3/4 cup of cereal with 130 calories is higher calorie content per unit of measure comparable to a 1 cup serving at 140. Its not marketing fooling its consumer stupidity and inability to do basic math !

Actually to be fair in SOME cases it is very much so a marketing strategy to tweak around with the nutritional information. Primarily the "bad" nutritional facts, like trans fat. If they tweak the serving size they do not have to report if or exactly how much trans fat is contained in the product since the law stipulates they HAVE to report anything greater than 1g (so they can make something awful, and adjust serving size to get in a .5 trans fat number and be lawful without being truthful.)

http://thehealthfultruth.wordpress.com/2012/07/25/trans-fat-scam/
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I eat Kellogs Allbran but it is full of sugar....I will switch back to the Co-op own High Bran cereal once I've got through the 2 boxs of Allbran I got at half price!!

I also eat oats raw with a little milk and a yogurt.

It's the fibre content that's important to me.
  • Dawnymaries
    Options
    Oh yes. I love cereal, and I think that for me, losing weight would be much harder without it...

Life cereal, Cheerios, Shredded Wheat, etc. I don't get the super sugary ones anymore since I normally can't control myself with them, lol.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I got through phases where I eat it every day or not at all. I like Kashi GoLean in yogurt or maybe Grape Nuts in yogurt. I don't eat it with milk anymore.

I think cereal can certainly be healthy. It just isn't my favorite thing.