Halloween~ My children are not happy!

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I give the extra to our church- they give it to the kids in Sunday School Class (for memorizing Bible verses and whatnot). I hear you can give the extras to chicldren'ss hospitals, too.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    Plus.... bacon.
    lol

I never liked bacon. Odd, huh?

Well, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I'll never know...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Thankfully we don't have many kids in our neighborhood. I'm not sure why we don't get them bussed in like some neighborhoods do but I'm assuming it's because we're in a small neighborhood and the mall is right down the road so they can just go there instead if they're going to get a bunch of kids together and drive them somewhere...

Anyway, point is, I don't have to buy bags of candy! I'll snag a few of this and that from the candy store here at work to make sure I've got a few things in case any friends stop by with their kids. If there is anything leftover, I'll either give them to Hubs or bring them back in to work and throw them on the counter in the kitchen for whoever to have.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Plus.... bacon.
    lol

I never liked bacon. Odd, huh?

Well, sewer rat may taste like pumpkin pie but I'll never know...

Mmmmm. I do like pumpkin pie.
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Plus.... bacon.

this is why MFP needs a like button.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I also do the 'Give those last 5 kids a LOTTTTT of candy because there is too much in the bowl.
  • LaurieB1967
    LaurieB1967 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My weekness has always been more the pre halloween eating. You know buying it up ahead and then having to buy it again to give out at halloween. This year in addition to not buying early I am thinking about giving out juice boxes. My kids are thrilled part way through trick or treat to get something to drink and left overs get frozen into juicy pops for the kids to eat. None of that stuff really calls to me for snacking so I think I can manage. I will let the kids pick a bag of ``left overs`` but it will go into their candy bowl and I am pretty good at not swiping their stuff. My husband will be unhappy.LOL
  • LISALOSBORNE
    Options
    I also send left over candy with my husband to work
  • kornmaiden
    Options
    We live out in the country so no trick or treaters here. But when we did hand out treats I tried to buy stuff I didn't care for like Mary Janes or Bit O Honey.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I purchased Rice Crispy Treats!
    Why? They're much cheaper to make than to buy, ...

My kids aren't eating anything some stranger homemade and threw in their sacks.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    What do you do to avoid the left over candy?
    Do you not buy the candy and do something different?
    Just looking for some other ideas for next year maybe...

I try not to buy too much candy so that there is not leftovers. Most of the leftovers that I do have I take to work. My kids are grown now, but when my kids were young I did the same. They got to eat anything they picked up trick-or-treating and I might keep a few of our leftovers but if there was more than a few items left, most of it went to work where it was promptly scarfed down. But I've never been a big candy eater so this wasn't really hard for me. I've had candy sitting on my shelves at home so long I had to throw it away on several occasions.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I purchased Rice Crispy Treats!

My kids aren't eating anything some stranger homemade and threw in their sacks.

I grew up in the era when everyone believed the urban legend about people putting razo blades in candy on Halloween. Every last thing in my bag got inspected and tossed if it had any indication of tampering and anything homemade was GONE unless we knew the people it came from.

I know it's silly, but I carried that over to my daughter's Halloween candy. I imagine a lot of people feel the same.
  • erinpooh
    Options
    My plan is to buy a bunch of candy on the day so that we don't have tons of it lying around the house. I don't usually eat much of it, but my kids would eat it all day long if I let them.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    We don't have many kids come to our house, but we do get a few so I still have to buy candy. I think I'm going to buy Junior Mints, they're pretty low fat, taste good, but aren't a huge temptation for me.

Last year, we got hit with a huge snowstorm a few days before Halloween which closed down the entire area for a week. Halloween was cancelled and we were stuck with all our candy and no trick or treaters. We were stuck in the house with no power and nothing to do but eat candy. It was bad.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I was reading something on this because I was worried about it too. I am trying to give up added sugar and sweeteners and to eat more natural, minimally processed, minimal ingredients food. I was worried about this, so the suggestions i read was to get small individual school supplies/puzzles/games/cheap toys/cards/boxes of raisins/etc. Anything but candy. I thought that was a good idea and some of those party type favors probably aren't that much more than the uber sized bags of candy.

I went trick or treating once when I was very young and crashed a guys poker party and they gave me and my sister pennies, because they didn't realize leaving a light on outside meant trick or treaters and that it was Halloween and they didn't have candy. We were young and thought that was really cool. So you could empty your change jar that way with a handful of pennies for little kids - they love counting and rolling that stuff.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options

Heck, I don't even like to eat potluck at work...you never know who has a cat walking on their counter tops or who picks their nose and doesn't wash their hands before cooking. I don't have kids, but if I did, I sure as heck wouldn't let them eat homemade things made by "God only knows who"....
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    We don't get any trick or treaters at our house either since we live kind of in the country and have a really long driveway, lol. Our kids do trick or treat though and personally I don't think they need the tons of candy they get. We have a Halloween goblin tradition where the kids pick put their favorite candies and leave the rest in a pile for the goblin. The goblin comes that night and takes the candy and leaves them a present. So, in years past, dh and I had their "goblin" candy and would eat it. This year, I was going to take it to work and leave it out for people, but am liking the suggestion of saving it for birthday goodie bags. I have pretty decent self control...dh on the other hand, not so much, so we'll see what he wants to do.

For the record, I don't believe I'm depriving my kids at all by doing the Halloween goblin thing. They do get to keep their favorite candies, and they would rather get the present anyway. They do have the option of keeping all of their candy if they really want to and not getting a present from the goblin, but that has never been an issue.
  • opus649
    opus649 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to buy Junior Mints, they're pretty low fat, taste good, but aren't a huge temptation for me.

And they are VERY refreshing!

250px-Cosmo_Kramer.jpg
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    What do you do to avoid the left over candy?

Not have kids and live in an area where there are NO trick or treaters. EVER.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Zero calorie ideas - Discount stores often have bags of toys, erasers, pencils, mini pin ball games for Halloween. I stock up on those. Also, small bottles of water and/or juice is a great give-away. Kids get super thirsty going trick-or-treating.

As for the candy, yeah, we buy it too. And, the kids bring home gobs. But, mysteriously it all is gone in about 5 days. After the kids go to school, i throw out about 1/3 of what is in their bag. In the trash. In about 5 days, there's no more stinking Halloween candy.