What is with those 400 cal breakfasts?

Options

Replies

• rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I am on a restricted cal budget. Not in a diet! Jaja.. Sounds great to me......
  • snapril68
    snapril68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I usually fry at least 2 eggs every morning. Or scramble them. Either way you should try a really good non-stick pan then you can actually forgo any oil at all and save in calories. Just purchased a decent one at safeway and now I never use oil in my pan unless a recipe calls for it. If you do need to use oil try extra virgin olive oil or cannola :)
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    My breakfast is about 420 cals. Whole wheat English muffin two scrambled eggs, slice of 2% cheese, and a vegie sausage. Yummy. If I eat less than 400 I'm hungry again at 10 am, not good.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    That is a great point claire2111. Mushrooms are also very cheap in cals and go great with my egg and tomato, fill you up and cost nothing in cal terms!
    I would leave the cereal breakfast to someone else. There is also exercise to make it up with...

i love veggie omelets i use a bed of spinach (the secret here is to put a little water Under the egg after it sets up to steam the spinach a little) with a few tomato slices and sometimes avocado too. always top with salsa for romance.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    Haha! mine average 460-510 calories. i wake up hungry :)
  • FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Everyday for breakfast i eat a superfood green smoothie. Its fantastic and the best thing is my 2 year old has got interested in the 'green gunk' and has started drinking it too :)
  • snapril68
    snapril68 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    ~800 cal breakfast
    photo_zpsb6a2c928.jpg

Yet still came under 1900cals for the day....gasp!:glasses:

Is this a homemade breakfast? Looks like something from a restaurant. Yummy :) Everytime I try to make an omelette it turns into a scrambled mix. LOL
  • MusicInMyHeart
    Options
    My morning breakfast is exactly 248 calories each morning. It may go up to 304 if I have that second cup of coffee.

1.) Thomas English Muffin Multi-Grain, Light 1/3 Daily Fiber
    2.) 3 egg whites
    3.) Six slices of deli ham from Aldi's

I make this into what I lovingly call a "faux egg mcmuffin" without the cheese.

4.) The rest of those calories are my coffee. I can't drink black so I splurge with two teaspoons of sugar and regular powdered coffee creamer.

I never go hungry with this. It really depends on what you're eating. I truly believe it's the fiber that does it. Those people who are hungry aren't eating enough.
  • Skyfire23
    Options
    High-fiber cereal is what I eat for breakfast. Pure protein or too much food makes me ill. When I eat breakfast, I'm hungry again 2-3 hours later; if I skip it, which I rarely do, I can go 'til lunch without being hungry, but then my lunch/dinner tend to be really bad and I snack the rest of the day. Much better for me to distribute my calories throughout the day. Everyone is different, though!
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I would say, exercise works but also the food scale. I would say it is the secret.

I agree I do both, I have a friend on MFP and she just estimates what she eats and she estimates how many cals she burns at work (Plus has her activity level at moderate). Looking at her diary it is obvious she is not tracking correctly. Between the two I know she is eating more and burning less cals than she thinks she is. I tried to help her and she said "I'm going to do what I'm going to do"

So overall I would say accurate tracking it the secret. Aided by food scales and measure spoons, as well as items to help track exercise.

Edit: My typical breakfast before work is 2 fried eggs, 2-3 strips of bacon, and 2 tbsp Hollandais sauce 400-460 cals
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs with spinach, mushrooms, green pepper, and low fat swiss + 2 pieces of rye bread with lingonberry jam. That's about 400 cals and fills my larger 12" plates.
  • Motleybird
    Motleybird Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I've experimented with larger breakfasts before. It doesn't actually work as a hunger suppressant for me. I still want the same amount of calories later in the day whether I've had a high protein breakfast or not. My stomach doesn't really wake up until later, so I wait until it does to give it a good meal. Breakfast for me is usually a high fiber cereal and my own chocolate espresso recipe.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

Tropicana's Pure line of orange juices contains nothing but pure Valencia orange juice, squeezed right from the fruit and pasteurized for safety. This orange juice comes with or without pulp. There are also a few other fruit juice flavors in this line, such as mango and grapefruit. All juices in this line contain nothing but the pure juices of the fruits used and advertised on the label.

Read more: Tropicana Orange Juice Ingredients | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/list_5787826_tropicana-orange-juice-ingredients.html#ixzz29wadXKwf

parse their words. it's marketing trickery. their OJ is just like the rest. pasteurized and stored in vats for up to a year. they do add flavor packets to it because the OJ loses flavor while stored. but they create those flavors by capturing the orange flavors that escape during pasteurization.each company has their own proprietary mix that gives their brand the same taste from jug to jug and season to season, but what i said is true... in essence, you're buying flavored water. the flavoring is natural and i'm sure the vats contain pure oranges, but is that really what you think you're getting according to their labels and their price? i don't think so. i stopped buying it and switched to actual oranges. i'd rather eat $7 worth of oranges than drink $7 of flavored water. it's most certainly NOT fresh.

i'm not a food nazi and this isn't some sort of rant against big corporations or any other nonsense like that, i just don't like being duped about what i'm buying. when i saw an expose on this a couple of years ago on TV, i decided i wasn't going willingly be duped by them

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/orange-juice-moms-secret-ingredient-worries/story?id=15154617
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    If I don't eat a fairly substantial breakfast I am starving well before lunchtime and more likely to just grab something I don't really want just because I'm hungry. Better breakfast = better choices!
  • rvicini
    Options
    I eat 2 eggs with spinach, mushrooms, green pepper, and low fat swiss + 2 pieces of rye bread with lingonberry jam. That's about 400 cals and fills my larger 12" plates.

That is super breakfast! Ready to take over the world...
  • rvicini
    Options
    I am all in for smart eating and against starvation!
  • lisamariebennett
    lisamariebennett Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Loving these breakfast ideas! I am a protein-in-the-morning kind of girl, too.

Has anyone pre-made any of their breakfast sandwiches and frozen them?

Everyone in our family doesn't get hungry for a good hour after getting up, so we all eat during our 20 minute commute to work/school.
    I like being able to just heat up something on the way out the door.

I wonder what the eggs would taste like, pre-cooked, put on a English muffin with some cheese and frozen? I know it wouldn't be as good as fresh...

And the green smoothie? What's in that? Got any good recipes?
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Well, I eat breakfast worth about 340-380 and for me this is just enough. If I left for work without breakfats or 150 cals breakfast I would start killing people around 10. Than I snack about 11 at work (apple, carrot or yougurt) and than have lunch around 13-14:00. Than I have another snak around 15:30 (again apple or ham and tomato or something ;iek taht) and than in the evening after coming back from work I eat a salad ... again the size of my breakfast usually over 300 cals (with ham or eggs or tofu or chicken ... rather substanial one , not justpure letuce )
  • vijaygill
    vijaygill Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Mine is 490 cals (oats, almonds, raisins and a cup of full fat milk). For me 'start big' has worked really well.
  • Kcouillou
    Kcouillou Posts: 4
    Options
    Love that saying! Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a price and dinner like a pauper! My breakfast are always between 300-400 cals! Plus on days I do hiit fasted cardio I eat a little more for breakfast! Like this morning after my fasted cardio I had steel cut oats with cinnamon vanilla homemade unsalted almond butter and black berries and a veggie egg white omelette on the side! Made with 12 tbsp liquid egg whites leftover roasted cauliflower and grilled eggplant :)

Feel free to add me as well :D

I also have a food scale, and get made fun of for it...but hey it works and we shouldn't care what others thing anyway!