**Warning, whining imminent** 27 lbs, no one is noticing?

Options

Replies

• martintanz
    Options
    The other day, my 11 year old son said "Dad, you don't have as much fat hanging from your ribs as you used to." Is that what you had in mind? ;)
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    First of all: HILARIOUS. I like the way you rant.

Second of all: Yeah, no one at work commented on my weight loss either. Then I found out, people were talking about it BEHIND my back, probably because of what prior posters said: it may be considered rude to comment on that. I dunno. But hey, DUDE, 27 pounds, BADASS. That's more than my 4 year old son weighs. BAM! Keep kickin' it, girl! WOOT!
  • mkwalk
    mkwalk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, the closer you are to your goal, the more every pound changes how you look. Since you've got a ways to go, it'll be a while before people really notice - at least that's how it was for me. For now, focus on how you feel, how much further you can walk without getting winded or how much easier everyday tasks are. 27 pounds is a lot, and you should be so proud of yourself!
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    If your clothes are too baggy they may not be able to tell...be patient..........you are doing this for you...not them.......you are hot so feel good about your loss!!!
  • Canderson58054
    Canderson58054 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    You might lose 50 and someone not say something, but that doesn't mean they haven't noticed! Let me ask you this.... if you gained some weight, and some one commented, how would you feel? Some people feel awkward when people comment thier notices, even if its a loss. This is especially true for women in my opinion. But if you mention something about working out, or eating healthier, then you might get some reaction or compliments. Until then just focus on you and compliment your significant other :)
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Perhaps they feel that saying you lost weight would be acknowledging that you were fat to begin with and that would be rude, so they wait for you to mention it first thus granting permission to comment. I sure they notice. But I know how you feel. I too would like recognition for my efforts even though they are nothing compared to yours. Keep up the good work.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    ok I must vent myself, My In-laws just came to stay with us and I haven't seen them in 1&1/2 yrs. I am down 48lbs. and I really was hoping for some cheers but Knowone even knew :( Even after I told them it was like nothing.... My mother in-law was like well your gonna lose more right-WTH I worked like a dog to lose the weight, I do have tons more to lose but 48lbs. is alot in my book ya know..... Now about you- You look GREAT and should be very proud, screw everyone- LOL

in-laws suck
  • lilteepot
    Options
    I started at 298. I've lost 25 so far, and I haven't replaced my wardrobe yet, so the clothes I'm wearing have become particularly baggy. One person said something last week, and I was excited, but I found out that a friend of mine told her that I was losing... so did she really *notice*? Or was she saying it to pump me up? Who cares. More people have mentioned they're noticing, but not typically until I mention it first. I just think they're waiting for a cue from me to know that it's not taboo, or they won't offend me if they assume I look better because "fatty's losing weight." Do it for you. People will notice, whether they mention it aloud or not. In the end, what's important is that you're getting healthier day by day.
  • Susie3501
    Susie3501 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've lost over 20 and I can't tell I've lost except in my clothes. I've gone down a size. I agree, it is frustrating when no one can tell unless you say something 1st. However, eventually people will notice! Congrats on your weight loss!
  • dp1228
    dp1228 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    are you still wearing the same clothes? try a smaller shirt meant for your new size. i ALWAYS get comments about my weight loss when i wear a more fitted shirt. when i wear baggier clothing that are a couple sizes too big it hides my results and i think makes me look bigger then i am. i completely understand not wanting to buy new wardrobes every time you go down a size though LOL.
  • pamperedpenguin
    pamperedpenguin Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've lost 35 and no one has noticed either. Yes, it annoys me. I need to lost ALOT so maybe that's why no one has noticed but it still annoys me.

I even have my whole "hey, you lost weight. How did you do it?" answer planned out in my head.

But I'm just trying to remember I'm not doing this for others to notice, but for myself & my health.

Keep at it!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    The other day, my 11 year old son said "Dad, you don't have as much fat hanging from your ribs as you used to." Is that what you had in mind? ;)

HAHA! Yes that would be fine! lol....
  • ChgingMe
    ChgingMe Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    I hear you. Just keep doing what you are doing. I haven't lost a ton but I've gone down 2 sizes. No one says anything to me either. I on the other hand compliment people when I notice. Its just hit or miss. Some don't want to offend. Some are jealous and the others just haven't noticed. I know someone who has lost a ton and gets complimented all the time. She is thinner but she is really flabby from not exercising. I get a little bitter when folks ohh and ahhh over her flab yet my muscle definition to me speaks volumes for my hard work but no one notices that. But I digress. Keep doing what you are doing... The end result is all that matters.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    ok I must vent myself, My In-laws just came to stay with us and I haven't seen them in 1&1/2 yrs. I am down 48lbs. and I really was hoping for some cheers but Knowone even knew :( Even after I told them it was like nothing.... My mother in-law was like well your gonna lose more right-WTH I worked like a dog to lose the weight, I do have tons more to lose but 48lbs. is alot in my book ya know..... Now about you- You look GREAT and should be very proud, screw everyone- LOL

in-laws suck

They rly do.... You keep doing what youre doing too girl! Im happy for you! <3
  • jreeves628
    jreeves628 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I didnt get any comments until I lost 25 lbs and Im quite short. As others have said, sometimes people dont want to say anything because weight is a sensitive subject. I does feel good to hear the compliments, but regardless you should feel proud of what you have accomplished.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 lbs, and i feel like no one has even noticed. I acknowledge that i was hella fat to start with, but 30 lbs, is a lot. And i dont understand how no one notices. i have specifically sxearchedfor people who have lost 30 lbs from 300 and you can see it! period! But, not one person has said ANYTHING without me saying something first. And, my fiancee lost 40, and no one says anything to him either.

I lost a small child off of my *kitten*. No one even notices.

I am entirely motivated by MFP, and the victories i find along the way. My numbers go down, my clothes look and feel better, i, look and feel better. But i really want to walk in somewhere and get that FACE you get, when people see you lost a bunch of weight.

Its kind of discouraging, but i truly believe i am doing it for myself, and that really keeps me going. But damn. it would feel so great if someone noticed without me having to say something. And as for my fiancee, he looks effing amazing. And humble as he is, im sure hed like to be noticed too.

Plodding onward, and all that rot. But watch me make stink face at my wedding in a year when everyone IS making the omg face as i walk down the aisle.

No, thats a bad way to think. Im just discouraged. but still, 30lbs ppl! wth?!

**End whining, Commence sucking it up**

Keep working hard, but do it for you, not for compliments.
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    Yep... I know this is all being done for me, and thats what keeps me going. my personal end goal is to run. I dont even bother explaining that to most people because they just look at me like 'uh... yeah... ok.... you do that...."

It is all for me. I know that. In fact, this honestly is entirely motivated by health, and not looks. I was confident to the point of being cocky, even when fat. I dont need any help there. ;-) However, I was kind of looking forward to when people did start to notice, and then no one did. and i found i was disappointed.

You are all right about people probably being cautious in case im sensitive.

I have not bought new clothes, because i dont want to waste my fiancees money by doing it 4 times, so im waiting for the end...
    But maybe getting one or two new things to wear places wouldnt kill me...

I think i just need to recenter my focus to the fact that i want to live longer with my sweetie, and continue on just asi have been.

Thanks all.
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I've lost 31 pounds total (21 while here on MFP) and I was still wearing my size 18 clothes because the 14s in my closet didn't quite fit and I refuse to buy any clothes during this journey (I have size 0-18 in my closet). One morning, 25 pounds in, I walked into work in my size 14 black work pants and a smaller top from my closet, and the compliments came all day long. And a couple of the people even said, "It looked like you were losing, but I didn't want to say anything". Weight is such a touchy topic. My MIL didn't realize I was losing until I got into my bathing suit to get in their pool and even then she was a little hesitant to ask.

And yes, I'm doing this for myself, but it does help when others notice! I now work at home and I haven't been back to the office since August and I kind of miss people noticing. Also, being in the office was keeping me on track. I've been slacking since the middle of August (when I left the office) and I gained 2 pounds. Might not seem like a lot, but every pound counts.

Anyways, keep doing what you're doing and know that we notice :)
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I've been taking pictures of myself every 10 pounds lost, and the biggest jump in "noticeability" was around 50 lbs, when I was able to go to my size 36 bras from the size 40 ones. Then, the girls were up high and not sagging down, accentuating the weight loss. This was when I started getting compliments.
  • thenewmrsgant
    thenewmrsgant Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    It took me 100 pounds and new clothes for people to notice. Apparently if you are still wearing the same clothes even if they are baggy people tend to not notice. So even when I'd lost 90 pounds and was still wearing the same clothes no one said a word. As soon as I purchased the correct size clothes I have started getting comments.