**Warning, whining imminent** 27 lbs, no one is noticing?

Options

Replies

• fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have always been told, if people don't seem like they've noticed, Odds are they have...

They are just too jealous and rude to say so.

Some people don't like to comment and some might not notice because they are in their own world and don't care about anyone else...or too oblivious.

They might not want to say. My family didnt want to say incase it upset me because I was large to begin with and it highlighted that fact.

Could be anything...as long as you see the difference and you are happy people will notice whether they say so or not!

Keep your head high!!!!!!!

Steph
  • paleirishmother
    Options
    I've lost 28 and not one has noticed, but I don't blame them I can't see it either! I am only half way done with my weight loss so hopefully the second half will make all the difference.
  • Beleg
    Beleg Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I think most people probably do notice but are afraid to say anything because of the chance of being wrong. There is nothing worse than telling a bigger person you look great how much weight have you lost and them say I haven't lost any. Awkward!!!!
  • SpaceMarkus
    Options
    Are you doing this for you or for other people? Should it matter what other people think?

Exactly.

Also, people hate to see people succeed in most cases, so by congratulating you they may just be acknowledging that they're overweight and really don't want to do anything about it.
  • PrettyMindy14
    PrettyMindy14 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I think once I got to about 50 to 60lbs is when people started asking me. It is frustrating but I know for me it helped me keep pushing through :)
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    We're gonna need some before/after pics :)
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I've lost 50lb and only my mother tells me that she can see I've lost weight. But a lot of people I haven't seen in a while recently told me that I am looking utterly fabulous, which i guess is a nicer (and more tactful) way of saying i look less whale like ;) Its a difficult subject to bring up.

I don't think my weightloss is really that noticeable at the moment. Hoping to see a different in another 10-15lb though.

I remember complimenting (i thought) a colleague on her frankly stunning weightloss, only to be quietly told by another colleague later on that she was going through a horrible divorce and the weightloss was as a result of stress. I still cringe when i think back.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I have on thing to say "STRUT" with confidence get yourself some sexy boots and a new sexy look and work it girl....for every 20lbs gone! Hey this weight loss is hardwork and your worth it
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    it could also be people don't notice, if you were to see someone everyday it's harder for them to notice the difference... *kitten* i cut my hair my husband doesn't even notice i have to point it out to him!
  • zimmera
    zimmera Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    The other day, my 11 year old son said "Dad, you don't have as much fat hanging from your ribs as you used to." Is that what you had in mind? ;)

Kids are so honest, gotta love them lol!
  • crimznrose
    crimznrose Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I dont like when people comment on my weight loss. It makes me uncomfortable. I think it's a touchy subject and maybe others feel the same way.

but hearing - "hey you look great!" that's always fantastic.

I'm so SICK of my boss asking how much I've lost about every other week. 1. It's not his business. 2. If that scale hasn't budged I don't need to be reminded of that fact at work where he and his wife gorge themselves almost daily on fatty greasy fast food and almost always have some kind of cake or chocolate thing in the kitchen.
  • zenchild
    zenchild Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people wait to say you've lost weight until they are completely sure. They don't want to say something if you haven't actually lost. Then you'd both be embarrassed.
    And other people are oblivious to anything happening beyond the ends of their own noses.
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I started in January my weight loss journey... in June I had lost about 40 lbs... and no one noticed it.
    In my summer vacation I lost another 10 lbs... AND BOUGHT NEW CLOTHES!

When I came back from vacations, everyone looked at me. OMG! You are so skinny! What did you do in your summer vacations?
    I did the same as before... exercising and watching my food...
    Half a year of ignorance... and from one day to the other they thought a miracle has happened.

I am sure the new clothes are the key... they fit perfectly... they are in small sizes... and give me a new look.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    You can always send me pics and I will compare at different times and let you know what I think :-) but seriously, some people do not want to offend or they really do not know how to approach someone...its like congratulating a lady for her pregnancy only to find out they are not. I was asked in a staff meeting what I was doing to lose all my weight, I had gained about 20-30 pounds, I said "I bought baggier clothes to show my weight loss" It was a awkward moment for those people that see me once a month. (I work from home).
  • Izzyd1979
    Izzyd1979 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    On the other side of things... I gained 25 pounds in the past year (from 150 to 175, so its noticeable all right!) and went to visit friends I hadnt seen in a year this summer - they thought I looked just the same. Some people have trouble noticing those things, its hard when you don't have a side-by-side picture to show the change
  • starjumper12
    Options
    I've lost 25 pounds (well over 5% of my total weight) and no one has noticed and it was kinda bumming me out too... especially since when I was on a medication and gained 20 pounds, my dad was the first one to jump in there to comment on it!!! Now after reading this thread my plan is to stick with my old clothes for quite awhile... they'll notice when I decide they should notice! MWAHAHAHA!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    On the other side of things... I gained 25 pounds in the past year (from 150 to 175, so its noticeable all right!) and went to visit friends I hadnt seen in a year this summer - they thought I looked just the same.

I hate to tell you this, but they probably didn't
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I have to lose over 100 pounds before anyone notices, I was down from 278 to 244 and no one said anything and then I lost another 20 pounds and finally people are starting to make comments but I think when you start reaching your goal is when people start pouring in the comments.
  • Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Hey, i think they notice and just have not said anything....... I have lost 18 lbs and ppl have not said anything to me either (only my mom, dad and bf)) but I see them staring.... so i know they realise..... also, it depends on WHERE you lsot most of the wight.... this will depnd on how quickly they notice.... ppl usually watch ur tummy for weight loss, if most of the weight did not go from there, then they may take longer to notice..... but keep it up, you are doing AWESOME :)
  • Aplmark
    Aplmark Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I've lost 58lbs and my own mother hasn't even noticed. Don't get discouraged, people just either aren't very observant or are afraid to acknowledge that they recognized the fact you were fat (like it's a big secret that no one knew). Just keep in mind your not doing it for them, it's for you!