Airports--your favorites and why?

Options

Replies

• anrev42
    anrev42 Posts: 331
    Options
    I like Narita Japan, Heathrow and Hawaii.... extremely easy to get around, easy to follow signs and clean.
  • Lonewolf1507
    Lonewolf1507 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    There are a number of people mentioning Munich as a favourite, it is a nice airport but I think most people are talking about the newer Terminal which caters for most of Lufthansa flights and Trans-Atlantic services. The older of the 2, is still a major improvement on the old Airport that this one replaced.

Also coming out of the lists are Hong Kong and Bangkok, I have not been to Hong Kong since they replaced Kai Tack and it's checker board approach, the Terminal was really struggling in the end but to make that approach, sweeping in low over the city was amazing. Again Bangkok is another airport that has been replaced since I was there, from what I have heard they have removed most of the Thai nature and appeal from it, before security you would have almost street food vendors selling their wares.

Among my favourites are Amsterdam, Frankfurt, Paris (all 3), wait I can't list all the Airports in the world, being a plane spotter I will visit one for a complete day. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Andy
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    so many places in the world I have loved going...

the craziest airport was when I was in Fiji on a layover for a few hours.. my smile was glued to my face cause it seemed everybody was smiling at me... I did check the bathroom a few times to make sure I didnt have something attached to my face lol but it was non stop smiling from the locals it was pretty hilarious... seemed like more than a few hours and I would need my jaw looked after when I left because it hurt just doing that constantly for a few hours

and yes.. kidding because this girl loves to smile
  • Violetta86
    Violetta86 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    My fav airport is Heathrow in London. So easy to get into the city quickly and not to mention great shopping and airline lounges.
  • dcurzon
    dcurzon Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Did a stop over with JAL, can't remember the airport but it was hilarious. The airport itself was crap, but the approach to the runway was a very steep approach to land on a strip barely long enough for the plane, on a piece of land barely big enough for the strip! Awesome!
  • lisaann1061
    lisaann1061 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Minneapolis airport is great - good dining options and shopping. Tampa Airport is second for how clean and easy to get around. Just flew into Nassau, Bahamas this summer and once that airport is finished with construction it will be so nice.

LAX has to be the most depressing airport and it's the one I have to come home to!! So dirty!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I love the O'Hare airport! Because it has an awesome tunnel with neon lights. And automatic toilet seat covers that rotate! Geez, I sound like such a kid.
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have to say my closest one, Gatwick, because I know it so well it feels 'safe'. I also like Sanford, Fl, it's nice and small and has a lovely Royal Palm Lounge that is free is it's your birthday :-)
    Orlando airport is confusing with its double bag drop system, but I love that Orlando has the Hyatt Regency with rooftop pool and bell boys that will take your cases right to the check in queue!
    Any airport is great, simply for the fact that it means we've landed safely and the holiday has started :-)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I have to say my closest one, Gatwick, because I know it so well it feels 'safe'. I also like Sanford, Fl, it's nice and small and has a lovely Royal Palm Lounge that is free is it's your birthday :-)
    Orlando airport is confusing with its double bag drop system, but I love that Orlando has the Hyatt Regency with rooftop pool and bell boys that will take your cases right to the check in queue!
    Any airport is great, simply for the fact that it means we've landed safely and the holiday has started :-)

gatwick has the YO:TEL right?
  • HappilyLifts
    HappilyLifts Posts: 429 Member
    Options

I haven't tried it as we only live about 45 minutes away, but yes, I believe it does :-)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

I haven't tried it as we only live about 45 minutes away, but yes, I believe it does :-)

its awesome.

soundtrack Air - Biological - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4opZkgF0Ug
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Borneo- has toy proboscis monkeys and the best nutty coffee for sale.
  • makemewannadie
    makemewannadie Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Schipol in Amsterdam- I thought it was really cool that it has a train station underneath the airport (: And then Heathrow, but only because I know i'm home then.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    I haven't traveled internationally, but domestically (in the US), I have only come across one airport that I DIDN'T like and that was DFW. It's not a well laid out airport and they don't always have their arrivals and departures updated.

I really like Detroit, Denver, O'Hare and Raleigh (because it's home and it's small). All the other ones I've flown into have been fine, not necessarily outstanding, but not hard to navigate and a bloody mary is pretty much the same in all of them.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I dislike Peirson in Toronto. It's hellish to deal with toronto traffic and the parking is ridiculously expensive. It does have great food selection though.

Buffalo airport gets the job done. Parking is way cheaper, but I have to take my shoes off, which is fine lol. They have pretty lame food selection though.

I think it's O'Hare that has that cool tunnel underneath the runways to connect the terminals, that's pretty neat.

LAX is a zoo, and last time i was there was so full of construction it was impossible to get anywhere.

Boston is nice.

I'll be checking out JFK this weekend, so we shall see how that fits in.
  • MakeitAWFUL
    Options
    I am terrified of airplanes
    I hate flying
    I have flown before since my family is in Illinois & Texas
    My fiance's family is in California
    We are in Michigan so I've done it while medicated
    Even so I usually always end up having a panic attack!
    After my last flight I decided no more flying for me
    ANYWAY. . .

Midway in Chicago I think is the best airport I've been to.
    It's super easy to get around

The worst airport is John Wayne airport in Orange County.
    It's near residential areas so they have a noise restriction
    They also have short runways
    So they take off straight up really fast and then turn the engines way down.
    It's very scary.
    I thought we were falling out of the sky!

Yeah, that was not a good experience
    Especially for someone who does not enjoy flying.
    But other people I've talked to think it's fun so I guess it depends on if you like to fly.......And in this case love rollercoasters!
  • RDalton84
    RDalton84 Posts: 207
    Options
    I love Kansas City International Airport. You don't have to walk 18 miles to get to your departure gate and I like that you can wait right outside of the gate when you are picking up someone instead of having to meet them at baggage claim. Security is also not that bad because each gated area has it's own security that you go through whereas most airports has one central security area that you have to go through. The only downside is that if you have to change airlines in KC and your airline is in a different terminal you would pretty much have to drive or take a shuttle because the terminals are very spread apart.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Ohare has the best $14 beer I have ever had..
    :grumble:
  • LetsTryThisAgain54
    LetsTryThisAgain54 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Any airport other than Newark!!! Newark is the absolute worst!!! Delay after delay! I try to fly out of Leheigh Valley in PA if I can. Great airport and no crowds. The TSA employees there are actually friendly!
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    are you serious? people have favorite airports? This can only be true of people who haven't traveled much and/or do not have children.

Well, after contemplating this, I would have to say Carlsbad, CA. Free parking (like at the grocery store), walk in, board all within a few hundred yards. When you arrive there, stand planeside, pick up your bag, and be out in your car in 3 minutes.

Feeling homesick ... I used to work not even 5 minutes from there. Lived about 15 minutes from there. :sad: