Can you do something for me?

Options
This is fairly long but I appreciate taking your time to read this. It’s a metaphorical story I wrote based on true feelings, and a little message sent your way. I’m only one voice in a million and I’m not sure what made me write this but it means a lot for you to read this :smile: I’m a bit nervous to post this, it’s in some ways personal and I’ve never posted a topic before.
When her stomach rumbled, she distracted herself by logging on to the net. Fleeting images of perfect body shapes blurred her vision, causing a range of swirling emotions. When motivation kicked in, her appetite diminished for the deliciously evil food she craved only a few seconds ago. Hypnotised by the rapid pictures, she took a step back and eyed herself in the mirror with a feeling of self-loathing. Piece by piece, her garments dropped on to the dark maroon Persian carpet in her spotlessly neat room. The flannel pyjama bottoms and fleecy top dropped to her feet, revealing an immature seventeen year old wearing a bra much too big for her. Covering her hideous body, she cursed at the fat reflection in the mirror, spitting out the word “disgusting” as she sobbed desperately, acknowledging her feelings of complete isolation.

“Dinner is ready!” her Mum called out. Yes there were people, but they were oblivious to the deep evil thoughts that crept into her mind, that little voice telling her she’s not good enough, that she is a useless piece of crap. Meal times with her family were one of her worst times. It meant she had to eat in front of everyone. It meant that she had to swallow and pretend to be thankful for the food prepared by her loving mother. It meant she had to wait till they fell asleep so she could race to the bathroom and get rid of all those unwanted calories sitting inside her body, screaming to climb back up.

She carelessly threw on her clothes and scoffed at her reflection once more. She didn’t deserve dinner, she told herself. It was at that very moment that the open window summoned her. The curtains whooshed in the afternoon breeze, drawing her attention to the group of people walking towards that large inspirational fire in the sky, slowly setting into the pitch black rim of the ocean. Irrational jealousy overcame her as she acknowledged their quest. They seemed purposeful, moving fearlessly towards their destiny. Eager to join them, she ran from the house leaving her stupefied family behind in the dark.

All she could see were slim silhouettes moving with determination. Try as she might, she could not seem to catch up with their speedy intent despite their skeletal shapes. She knew she belonged with them. They were nothing but perfection. She broke into a sprint, hoping to connect and be transformed into one of them. “Hello!” she screamed. But they couldn’t hear her. As she drew closer, she noticed they were dressed uniformly in black and she stopped in amazement as she watched them head for the ocean shore. In single file, they slowly marched into the water, ready to be drowned by their pool of thoughts. As the last one disappeared into the inky depths, she noticed a tall faceless man wearing a black cloak beckoning to her.

“Where are they all going?”

She halted in her tracks as the familiarity of the strange man dawned on her. It was the Grim Reaper standing before her, calling her to her Death.

Her mouth opened as she cried in terror but nothing came out. She had lost her voice, her identity. “I don’t want to die!” she whimpered.

Instinctively, she reversed her direction, running as fast as she could, lost in utter darkness and despair. She escaped from the black hole she was heading towards only to arrive in another vacuum. Startled by her lack of direction, she began searching for something, anything, but she didn’t know what to search for. The inspirational fire in the sky was long gone; there was no light to aid her pursuit. Sighing in frustration, the sound of the rumbling thunder echoed her defeat. She simply waited for the deluge.

But it was the sound of her stomach rumbling, and for the first time in ages, she acknowledged her immense hunger. A feeling of self-realisation overcame her as she headed in the direction of her home sweet home, to the reappearing inspirational fire in the sky.
I originally wrote this story for a creative writing assessment I had to do on the theme “Belonging” (hence it was slightly more dramatic than intended). I decided not to use it as I felt it was too personal to share, but I wanted to let it out somewhere and I decided to share it with you guys. This is only a tiny weeny glimpse of eating disorders, only a little summary of what I’m about to explain.

Can I get you to do a few things for me?
When you start hating on that beautiful reflection of yours, stand in front of the mirror and smile. Be thankful for those gorgeous eyes/hair/body/legs/arms that you are blessed with. Every single person is beautiful, and I’m not just saying it, I have always seen the beauty in everyone… but myself. Comparing myself to others is something I am very guilty of doing, and it is not acceptable. Sure we can all have role models but the biggest motivation comes from within. You have qualities that others would kill for, and I know that for a fact.

I looked in the mirror today and I saw a beautiful girl staring back at me. No it wasn’t perfect, but there is no such thing as perfection. When those evil thoughts tell me to strive for perfection, they are really telling me to strive for nothingness, only to fall into a deep hole. That perfection does not exist. Life is shaped by your view of things; if you force yourself to view everything in a positive light then your world will be shining. If every little detail is taken negatively, that light will be fused out. But you can change that light bulb and bring back that “inspirational fire”.

Something I touched on in that story was the Grim Reaper, perhaps a bit stupid, I don’t know. What I was trying to get at was, despite my desire to live and embrace life, I wasn’t doing that at all. Deep down I knew it was pure and utter self-destruction. All I had ever wanted was to do really well in high school, I was always topping my classes and everyone knew me as the smart girl, but then my grades started falling and I skipped school consistently. This was all for perfection, what perfection? Crushing my dreams for a false dream that only exists in my head? I have regrets, many regrets. That does not mean it is over. It is never over. There is this one quote I love and I stuck it on my wall:
“Nothing is really over... until the moment you stop trying”. And that is a fact.

So you’re sitting there wishing to turn back time, regretting all those mistakes you have made or all those horrible qualities you believe you have… STOP.
Do me another favour?
Get a piece of paper and write down all the good things you have in life right now, all the good qualities that you have. If you can’t think of anything then you are not thinking hard enough! You are worth it.

That girl in the story had the courage to reverse her direction, change things around. Sure it’s only fictional but many have done it. It’s possible. Recovery is possible. I do believe that my eating disorder is something that will stay with me for a lifetime; it is a part of me. But it is controllable; YOU are in control of your thoughts.

If you feel yourself drowning into your own thoughts, the tides getting higher and higher, teach yourself to swim. Learn to float. Let the waves pass by, let them go. You can do it!

Signed, yours truly

NocturnalGirl

Ps. I’m sorry if this post sucks, I have self-confidence issues and I am nervous about posting this. Hope you like it though! :heart:

Replies

• SteveK279
    SteveK279 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I do like it, and did read it all - I think it's very brave of you to talk about your eating disorder, even if it was in the past and not as dramatic as being pushed right to the brink like the fictional story. I'm not confident in my skin, but it's something I'm working to change and soon I will like the guy in the mirror
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    I do like it, and did read it all - I think it's very brave of you to talk about your eating disorder, even if it was in the past and not as dramatic as being pushed right to the brink like the fictional story. I'm not confident in my skin, but it's something I'm working to change and soon I will like the guy in the mirror

Thank you :flowerforyou:
    It's still ongoing but I had a little moment yesterday, kind of like a self-realisation, which inspired me to write this. I'm working on getting better :) I hope that you can gain the confidence you deserve. It's nice to know this reaches out to the broader community, self-acceptance is definitely something for everyone to strive towards.
  • xBlankCanvas
    Options
    I just read it hun<3 my life exactly.Thank you for sharing this with me. I loved it!
  • SteveK279
    SteveK279 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:
    It's still ongoing but I had a little moment yesterday, kind of like a self-realisation, which inspired me to write this. I'm working on getting better :) I hope that you can gain the confidence you deserve. It's nice to know this reaches out to the broader community, self-acceptance is definitely something for everyone to strive towards.

Exactly - if you don't love yourself, how can you expect others to love you? The major hurdle is realising you had a problem - yes there will be moments and occasional lapses, but at least now you're aware of the downward spiral and know that deep down you really are beautiful
  • swonn
    swonn Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I read every word. It is excellent writing and I thank you for sharing.
  • SkinnyMusic
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this. This is really amazing...
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    As someone who also strove for academic perfection and who has battled EDs on and off for 24 years, I certainly relate to this post.
    I am also someone who tends to sit and analyse and overthink every mistake she makes, and indeed, the mistakes she feels others have made in interractions towards her, driving herself mad in the process. That, and usually seeing nothing of value in myself at all, hence I find it very difficullt to point out positive things about myself, as usually I am dwelling on the people who have cast me aside in my life, and beating myself up about the mistakes I made that caused that outcome.
    Inspiring and interesting post, thankyou for sharing.
  • hannah_rose05
    Options
    This is amazing. Im so glad you can see that things can get better!!! I used to be like that girl but thankfully have turned my life around and im super happy now, if you realise this now you are on the right track for sure, message me anytime xx
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words, means a lot! :smile: :flowerforyou:
  • butterflymarks
    butterflymarks Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Dude ! This is amazing. You capture exactly what the feeling is like to be lost in an eating disorder so probably someone who doesn't understand could even feel it. And it makes it feel more obvious what I'm doing to myself when I fall back into my behavior. I'm saving this so I can read it when I feel unmotivated to recover
  • Papabear0428
    Options
    Okay, this is just my opinion but I LOVED it! You gave me some insight to something I couldn't really wrap my head around. Your writing was very clear and the imagery was such that I could picture someone going through it and sort of understand what may be going through their mind. You opened my eyes with that story and I think you did a fantastic job conveying those feelings. Well done!
  • NicoleBecca
    Options
    beautifully written, there is always a light at the end of every tunnel :)
  • TorontoDiane
    TorontoDiane Posts: 1,413 Member
    Options
    so many people live their lives wondering what if...

I am thankful that in this story life was chosen

so many beautiful souls men and women feel so badly about themselves...

thats the shame here.. this one chance at a wonderful life, we all need to make the most of every single day

embrace who we are and amazing things will follow !!!!
  • Goldengirl1234
    Options
    Girl, you've got some serious writing skills. I read it all and I could picture everything in my head so easily. Sadly, I can relate a lot to the story and I can definitely understand the thoughts and feelings you write about. I see you are doing a lot better and that you're finally starting to love yourself, little by little, but for good. It makes me so happy to see you talking about recovery and self acceptance. I am learning to love my imperfections too and I could almost say I'm "completely recovered" because I think I just went through some kind of anorexia stage and never really reached that "point with no return" that stays with you forever. But I totally get what you mean when you say a little ED will always be there but it's up to you to control it, and I believe you can and you will get passed this all and will end up stronger and more beautiful inside and out (if that's even possible!).
    Thanks for sharing this. Always count on me :)
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    This was beautiful, and so are you. That's all I have to say.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    My favorite part of the entire thing was you saying that you looked in the mirror and saw a beautiful girl staring back at you, this is when you know this constant uphill battle is slowly, but surely paying off. I think you're incredibly brave, gorgeous, amazing, and so upbeat and positive to everyone around you. You deserve to be happy and comfortable with yourself. Its the hardest thing I think majority of us will do as females, especially when society and fashion says that a size 6 or 8 is a plus size model. I think everything you said is one of the most important realizations for your recovery process. Keep up the positve attitude and realize that you ARE beautiful, anad you deserve to see that about yourself, we all do. xxx
  • skinnylove00
    skinnylove00 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    bumping because i really needed to hear this today <3
  • dorilou1969
    Options
    I'm speechless. This is so beautiful and I can totally relate to it. Thank you so much for sharing something so personal with us.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Great story, thanks for sharing!

Keep working at life -- you're making progress.
  • onedayillbeamilf
    onedayillbeamilf Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Typically when I click on a post and see its incredibly long, I read the first sentence or two then I'm out. But I actually read almost all of this. It was very good. Thank you for sharing this.