Anyone know about appetite suppressant Qsymia???

Options

Replies

• bmorechica
    Options
    I've tried to read everyone's posts with an open mind; however, I find myself bias since I'm currently taking Qsymia. I'm on day 11 of the starter dosage and I'm happy with the results. Let me start with a bit about myself. I've been fat or obese my ENTIRE life. I finally reached my boiling point after college and did something about it. I did everything right to start. I revolutionized the way I ate and I rediscovered exercising. In 8 months, all on my own and without any drugs, I lost 50 lbs. I was so happy with myself and I still can't believe I did that. I went from 306 to 256 and I was happy... for a while. After last September my weight-loss really slowed and finally stopped and I did everything I could to continue progress. I increased my exercise time and decreased carb intake while increasing protein. I consulted my Diabetic Dietician, because no matter what I did it was going my effect my Type 1 diabetes and I needed to stay safe. I visited my endo a couple weeks ago and I've been down and out leading up to my appointment. SHE suggested Qsymia. I have been seeing her for 3 years now and I trust her with my life and I trusted her with this suggestion. So here's my review of Qsymia:

I LOVE IT... so far. I stress that because like I said before I'm only on day 11 of the starter dosage. I still leave space to change my mind. I knew I could change my activity level because I had already. I knew I could change how I ate, because I had already. But I hadn't change how much I'd eat and Qsymia has changed that drastically. Day 1 on Qsymia was a HUGE day for me. My first meal after taking it I stopped dead in my tracks, put my fork down, and actually FELT FULL!!! I never FEEL full until after I've made that horrible decision to eat everything on my plate because I thought I was THAT hungry. Its been that way ever since. With the added bonus of feeling sick when I just think of eating greasy fast food and sugary sweets. I've been making the conscious decision to fill up on protein, veggies, and fruits. Honestly, the idea of having a cucumber now makes me salivate the way a giant piece of chocolate cake used to. I still have to have some carbs, but they are the last thing in my mouth and they are multi-grain to similar. I love the feeling of being full so much I could cry. I know that seems dramatic, but when you'd been 'blind' to how much you'd eat and you finally had that revelation, it's amazing.

My opinion of the drug:
    I'm no medical genius so I'm presenting my honest opinion. I already have been taking topiramate for a year-long migraine I had several years ago. I was the best thing to happen to me. I have nothing but good things to say about it. As for the phentermine, I'll admit I don't know much more than that its an appetite suppressant, which seems to be doing the trick. I haven't had any of the side effects that are in the long list of possible side effects that you can read about of the Qsymia website. Today was the first day my taste buds changed. I kept reading about foods tasting different, and today I decided to have caffeine free, diet soda (I know... yum... remember I'm a diabetic) and it had NO flavor. Not even the suggested metallic flavor, but no flavor at all. I only had the sensation of carbonation.

My suggestion for others:
    Do your research! I researched Qsymia before I started, when I started, NOW, and I intend to when I move on to the next dosage and beyond. Make an informed decision that includes you, your research, and a medical professional. Take other's opinions as just that, an opinion.

I wish everyone luck on their weigh-loss goals! And since I didn't mention it before - I've lost 10 lbs. since starting Qsymia.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I know a great appetite suppressant..its called water, drink some, lots of it..

please deposit 29.99 into my pay pal account.
  • dquiglette
    Options
    Might be easy for you to say if you not experiencing something someone else is.
    I have never been overweight. I would work out for YEARS 5 times a week, and eat
    extremely healthy. I started to gain 5 lbs so of course, I worked out more, and I cut out
    having a margarita and switched to drinking a wine instead. Those were my bad
    habits on a weekend night. However, if I was going to drink, of course, that meant
    I would eat lighter and work out harder to make up for the extra calories. But still
    the weight went from 5 to 10 lbs. I was stumped, so I gave up the alcohol, and worked
    out more, and then I tried giving up bread, but still the next month gained another 10,
    I then went to a dietician, and she looked at all I ate, I always write down what I ate,
    and the only thing she could see for looking back at 1 year is that I ate too many cherries,
    VERY long story short, I gain 56 lbs in the year, doing ALL the right things. I ended up
    having a Thyroid problem, so YES, I went on Qysmia to help me along with my Thyroid
    medicine to help me get back to where I have always been pretty much most of my life.
    My family also has had several woman die at my age, and this is why I choose to start
    back 15 years ago to work out and choose a healthy way. I love reading when people
    just say about some of these drugs it'sjust people taking the easy way out, sometimes it
    is for a good medical reason.
  • sandyanania
    Options
    I got a prescription for Qysmia yesterday October 8. I too read all the negative reviews regarding this medicine and almost did not get it. I spoke to my pharmacist at length and he put my fears to rest. No matter what weight loss pill you get you will ALWAYS have negative reviews. So today 10/9/13 is my first day, I tried it at 7:00 this morning and all is well no weird side effects, just lots of energy. As for why it is important to have proper birth control before your doctor will prescribe Qysmia is because of the severe birth defects that it could have on your unborn child. Regular birth control pills loses it's effect when taking it with Qysmia.....I had to wait and get an IUD before I could have my prescription filled. It's a pain in the neck, because of the procedures that you have to go through, but it's best to be safe then sorry. Also my insurance did not cover a penny of it.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Weight loss clinics are usually code for "pill mill"

Be careful.

more like kill-mill.... the reason you have to be checked is if you get pregnent your child will have birth defects

Google Topamax - Topiramate

I would guess it's the phentermine that is the problem. I took Topiramate as a migraine preventative, and never had to have pregnancy tests because of it.
  • srcardinal10
    srcardinal10 Posts: 387 Member
    Options

Be careful.

Yes, be careful!!! I'd highly suggest talking with your primary treating physician before taking any prescribed medications from a weight loss clinic. Your overall health is far more important. Making healthy food choices and exercise will truthfully pay off in the end.
  • NonnyMary
    NonnyMary Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I'm going to write my story. I began Qsymia about 3 weeks ago.

I was losing about two pounds a week on my own using MFP before that (40 pounds total). I went to the nutritionist just as an added doctor/tool for my journey here. so he said i was a good candidate for qsymia, i thought well lets see what could happen, i'll try it for a month. may as wel use all the tools there are. Well the first two weeks, they put you on a low dosage, i had no problem, lost about 5 pounds. then on the beginning of the 3rd week, they up the dosage.

coincidentally, not sure what caused what, but i got one of the possible complications - constipation, unfortunately it is severe, so that i was so sick, that i thought i was going to have to go to the E.R. to remove this brick of poo that would not move. this was friday a few days ago. finally at 2;30 a.m. relief, but i still have not gotten total relief, but im trying to eat salad and water and stuff to try to get things working again. it is now Tuesday and things are not moving again, and im still not able to go to the bathroom right.

the doc said i may not have been drinking enough water, which may be true, as i may have dehydrated myself, let me tell you, between last week monday and this week monday i lost 5 pounds. WHERE THE EFF DID THAT COME FROM? Probably water weight dehydreation, which i probably caused by not drinking enuf water, however, even though i probably could take the lower dose, i said no thanks i want to be off this meds. maybe the qsymia also dehydrated me a bit, im not sure or not. perhaps it did take away my appetite but i was eating my usual calories about 1600, so i was not undereating on purpose to starve.

so maybe it will be ok for some of you, but my experiment is over, and now i am still a bit sick, but hopefully my
    body will be back to normal soon.. this is no fun.. i am not willing to go thru feeling sick just to lose wieght. when i told the doc i didn't want to go back to the lower dose because i donnt want to suffer this terrible tummy trouble again possible, he said i could stop immediately, i was THRILLED!!!

so theres my story.. if your going to take it please watch out for symptoms.

oh one curious thing - two other side effex - it really does screw up the taste of soda pop and it makes you a chatterbox, and it does make you feel like you have more energy in a way, but not in a good way, kind of a drugged way.

its funny that the first 14 days of taking Qsymia, it was like i felt pretty much ok, no side effects, but day 2 of when they upped the dosage, thats when everything turned disastrous. please eveyrone who is on week 3 please let me know if you are experiencing anything bad, i want to know if it was just me or what.

i want to know if it was my fault i was not drinking enough water, or if the meds were dehydrating me and tahts part of the weight loss. im just not sure.
  • sandyanania
    Options
    As previously posted today was my first day, and yes I had lots of energy but in a positive way. I also noticed that I was talking a lot something I usually don't do ( I was talking way more than my nail tech...lol). I had a great workout, and I had lots of water. I will keep you posted when I start my third week!
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My weight management doctor was talking of prescribing me this he told me the side effects can include: still births if you get pregnant, head issues (Topamax is an anti-convulsant-but something if you're not epileptic it can have different effects?) and a few other really horrendous sounding things, so I opted out of that REALLY quickly. My family doctor told me it's bad practice, in his opinion, to prescribe one medication to counteract the effects of another.

I'm not into taking medications anyway, so my feeling is always that it's a crutch you probably don't need. :) Be careful if you choose to take it.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    hey everyone who is takng Qsymia - please tell me how you feel on week 3 of taking this - its when you get the higher dosage.

Everything seems great & fabulous on the first 2 weeks - then week 3 - ugh for me..

so please let me know how week 3 is going and i want to see what you did to make week 3 go so well or not so well.

Please drink PLENTY OF WATER!!!!
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Water, water, water. I read on this site that we normally do not actually feel hunger, that our body is actually thirsty. So when you think your hungry drink water. If pills worked for weight loss do you think that there would be any over weight people? Exercise, calorie counting, and water it's a proven weight loss method. I find eating a huge salad with lots of low calorie veggie is very filling. Best wishes.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    :wink:
  • Amars150
    Options
    My doctor prescribed Qsymia to me almost 6 months ago. Low dosage the first week, the 7.5 mg daily. The only side effect I experienced was the constipation. Prunes helped with that. She suggested the med because, I am older than most of you from what I can tell by your pictures, and I am honest to say that I absolutely hate exercise. I can walk and swim, but I will never become an athlete, especially this late in life. I have lost almost 50 pounds in 6 months following a healthy 1200 calories per day "diet" with about 24 left to go to reach my goal weight of 150. The first few months of taking Qsymia, I did have the mild "speedy" types of affects that you get from other appetite suppressants but after that, not at all. A little dry mouth the first few hours after taking it. Could I have lost the weight with the diet and exercise without the meds? Probably. But it makes it easier, and for some of us, either with health reasons, or just being old and stubborn, I think it helped me tremendously, with very little down-side. Also, I decided to stop taking it this week, just to see if there were any "withdrawal" effect from it, and good news. Nothing. My body is used to my calorie intake now, so I don't really need the appetite suppressant any more.

In my experience, I can't say anything bad about it.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    My doctor prescribed Qsymia to me almost 6 months ago. Low dosage the first week, the 7.5 mg daily. The only side effect I experienced was the constipation. Prunes helped with that. She suggested the med because, I am older than most of you from what I can tell by your pictures, and I am honest to say that I absolutely hate exercise. I can walk and swim, but I will never become an athlete, especially this late in life. I have lost almost 50 pounds in 6 months following a healthy 1200 calories per day "diet" with about 24 left to go to reach my goal weight of 150. The first few months of taking Qsymia, I did have the mild "speedy" types of affects that you get from other appetite suppressants but after that, not at all. A little dry mouth the first few hours after taking it. Could I have lost the weight with the diet and exercise without the meds? Probably. But it makes it easier, and for some of us, either with health reasons, or just being old and stubborn, I think it helped me tremendously, with very little down-side. Also, I decided to stop taking it this week, just to see if there were any "withdrawal" effect from it, and good news. Nothing. My body is used to my calorie intake now, so I don't really need the appetite suppressant any more.

In my experience, I can't say anything bad about it.

Amars, be careful about stopping it this week, i read on the instructions that you cannnot just stop it, you might get a seizure, if you take it that long,, i think when you decide to stop it, (check with your doc if this is true) but you have to wean yourself off which "might" mean take one pill every two days for a week or so, but i am not sure becuase its hard for me to udnerstand the directions).. but please be careful - check with your doc BEFORE you decide to just stop it. find out the safe way please please please!!!!!
  • Amars150
    Options
    I read that too. I haven't taken it for 3 days now, and no seizures or any other effects that I can tell. I'm due to see the doc next week anyway. Calm down. Its alright.
  • NonnyMary
    Options
    hows anyone doing on Qsymia who has taken it more than the first 2 weeks? I would love to know how you all doing , good or bad. I took it for a few weeks and chose to get off due to the side effects, so beieve me I am not here to crucify anyone for taking it. but wondering how anyone is doing - good or bad - thank you kindly!
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options

Be careful.

more like kill-mill.... the reason you have to be checked is if you get pregnent your child will have birth defects

Google Topamax - Topiramate

Weren't the weight loss clinics the same places that gave out Phen-Phen like MnM's in the 90's?

Yep!!! I took phen fen when I was 16. Went from a size 12 (I would kill to be a 12 again! !) to a size 2!!! So now I have a heart condition and am for realz fat!!!! For me diet pills just keep the weight off until I stop taking them, then it piles on again. Not worth it to me!
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    I think pills are dangerous. If you're hungry, you should eat more fat, protein and fiber, within your calorie limit, of course. Do that first, for several weeks, and see if your appetite becomes more manageable. Try to keep busy as well, a lot of hunger can come from simple boredom.
  • losing4799
    Options
    whatever you choose, please study the drug and read lots of reviews online. all the best:heart:
  • SpringBabe21
    Options
    Starting my 3rd month of Qsymia and it has been a life saver! I have been battling my body for several years to no avail. Thyroid issues that have kept me from losing even after reigning it in with medication. Exercise, diet, meditation, yoga, you name it. Doctors visits brought me to tears because try as I might I just couldn't get the weight to move. My doctor is wonderful and did put me on gluten free track when she told me that my thyroid issue was Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, which is an auto-immune disease and gluten was acerbating the problem but even that wasn't enough. Qsymia has FINALLY kick started the weight loss and I have lost 12 lbs. since I started taking it. No miracle drug because it is still with diet and exercise but the scale isn't my enemy anymore! I recommend you read, read, read. Journal your history. Do your own research and if/when you begin the medication, keep a log of activity, mood, health so you can monitor your progress. My own experience has been with dry mouth and some constipation but increase water and good healthy probiotics in the form of Greek yogurt and kefir has put me back on track. I monitor my blood pressure but with good, regular exercise that too has been under control. Good luck to anyone starting their journey. <3