Upset people because you DONT drink alcohol

Options

Replies

• mamaclose
    mamaclose Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Since I began this journey in January I gave up drinking the way I used to. I still have a few beers on the weekends, but at the beginning (this Spring) I didn't drink at all. I probably went a few months without a beer. I lost most of my "friends" because I wouldn't drink with them.

I'm okay with that though, because I feel better about myself.
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I drink very very rarely because I am an EXTREME lightweight due to an alcohol allergy....and that's what I tell people. Then if they are still being rude and nasty about it and if I'm just really done with listening to them, I'll throw the "Well when you're trying to get knocked up you really shouldn't be drinking that crap!' in their face. It usually shuts them up and makes them feel awkward. :P
  • vabchloser
    vabchloser Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I think people want to have fun and think they can't have fun unless you're having fun. I don't know.

I had a friend ask me out the other day for a drink (that was the point of the outing), I said I'd rather not go out to drink and followed it up by saying for health reasons (duh, my diet, but everyone doesn't need to know that I'm dieting) and he's like, "Oh, are you pregnant?" I wanted to say m*^$&r-f&@%#r!!!! It actually pissed me off pretty bad.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    It is because they have an instant ice breaker and common task and alcohol makes you feel good and so you want other people to feel good too.

Love this answer!
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    cause they think "people who don't drink booze are goody goodies" little do they know
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Say you have an allergy!
    Say you are the designated driver.
    Say you don't feel like it.
    Say 'No amount of alcohol is going to make your jokes funny!'
    Say 'Cos I don't like it''

Then change the subject, their alcohol sodden minds will forget soon!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    black sheep don't get slaughtered at night. think about it.
  • Sharon009
    Sharon009 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I've started to resort to saying really loudly "I'm a recovering alcoholic" shuts them up and gives me a little giggle in the process.

HA! Love it. Will have to try that one time.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    the truth always works

you want to stay clear headed because you have a project you need to work on later (the project is your health)

you dont want to risk a DUI

you cant afford the empty calories today

you dont want to turn into a moron in 20 minutes

you decided to only drink on (whatever day it isnt)
  • Dovekat
    Dovekat Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't drink and when I used to go out with my cousins (when I was 18) they would try to make me. They even spiked my drink a few times but that didn't work because I could taste the vodka. I decided that in the end it really had nothing to do with me drinking at all, it had to do with them wanting to justify the amount they drank to "Have a good time". In the end I stopped going because of their constant peer pressure. Of course I was labelled a "Prude" for doing so :laugh:
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just say I'm an alcoholic. Everyone pretty much shuts up. But, my friends know that about me (problem with alcohol) and respect my decision to not drink.

I guess since they are friends, they probably know you're not an alcoholic. I think they just want you to join in the fun. It's like if everyone is playing a game, and you're just sitting watching. They want you to play too. That's all.

One thing a teacher from a long time ago told me he used to do, and I think this is brilliant, he would order a beer in a dark bottle, then immediately take it into the bathroom, pour it out and fill it with water. Then, everyone would think he's drinking. He would just sip on it so he didn't have to keep wasting money, but, it solved the problem of everyone asking him to join them for a drink. You can try that sometime. Although, in some ways, I disagree with that, in another way, it's an easier way to avoid the conflict. Especially for business meetings, if they are important. It could be a good way to stay "in". Or, you could move away from your friends, go to the end of the bar or something, and order soda water with a lime. Then, you can just say its vodka and soda.

But, the alcoholic thing works wonders. No one will mess with you after that.
  • katamus
    katamus Posts: 2,363 Member
    Options
    I don't drink often. Actually, I've drank more in the last two months than the two years prior to that. People have given me all kinds of mixed reactions, especially because I'm 22. I'm that person who brings an iced coffee to a party.

Telling people I'm DRIVING usually gets them to leave me alone. Or that I have to work in the morning.
  • heater26
    Options
    This.

The guys I hang out with drink a lot of IPA beers which are extremely HEAVY. If I do have a beer or two, it's the real light variety and just deal with the abuse lol.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    For the same reason that people who don't drink get all judgemental about people who do. They are judgemental pricks and probably feel guilty about their own consumption so it makes them feel better to single out your lack of consumption. And my attitude is who the hell cares!
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I have gotten "oh, your no fun now that you don't drink anymore". True, I went from the girl dancing on a table to a girl who would rather be on the beach with a good book. But, I don't critique their choices. I have lost some good friends over it. Even the old friends i still have in my life I am bearly holding on to with finger tips.

My Dad, the smartest guy I know, sez that changing to good health is like quitting any addiction. You tend to not spend time with the people you were addicted with. Great words.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    For the same reason that people who don't drink get all judgemental about people who do. They are judgemental pricks and probably feel guilty about their own consumption so it makes them feel better to single out your lack of consumption. And my attitude is who the hell cares!

Nope. You have it wrong. They are happy friendly people that want you to join in on the fun. Same thing, but different way to look at it. People are not judgemental pricks. They are just people. It usually more simple than what you are making it. Look at the lighter more positive side of it.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I've started to resort to saying really loudly "I'm a recovering alcoholic" shuts them up and gives me a little giggle in the process.

I think this is the winning answer. Great comeback.
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    i cant seem to conquer this peer pressure and always end up drinking every weekend

I have the same problem
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I don't have this problem. Everyone in my life seems pretty happy that I'm not drinking. (I get mouthy) haha
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I just say I'm an alcoholic. Everyone pretty much shuts up. But, my friends know that about me (problem with alcohol) and respect my decision to not drink.

I guess since they are friends, they probably know you're not an alcoholic. I think they just want you to join in the fun. It's like if everyone is playing a game, and you're just sitting watching. They want you to play too. That's all.

One thing a teacher from a long time ago told me he used to do, and I think this is brilliant, he would order a beer in a dark bottle, then immediately take it into the bathroom, pour it out and fill it with water. Then, everyone would think he's drinking. He would just sip on it so he didn't have to keep wasting money, but, it solved the problem of everyone asking him to join them for a drink. You can try that sometime. Although, in some ways, I disagree with that, in another way, it's an easier way to avoid the conflict. Especially for business meetings, if they are important. It could be a good way to stay "in". Or, you could move away from your friends, go to the end of the bar or something, and order soda water with a lime. Then, you can just say its vodka and soda.

But, the alcoholic thing works wonders. No one will mess with you after that.

why would you say you're an alcoholic? if your not really an alcoholic? this only creates problems because if they see you drinking some where down the line then they start talking about you.

besides the fact that alcoholism is a real problem, take from me I'm a alcoholic and I've been sober 6 years

the best advice is just tell them no thanks and if they have a problem with it then it's there problem