Upset people because you DONT drink alcohol

Options

Replies

• Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I've stopped even caring about peoples opinions when it comes to this.
    Oh you're upset because I don't want to get *kitten* faced and feel like crap the next morning???
    oh well. haha
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I haven't encountered this too much yet, as I really don't go anywhere anymore, lol. But my family was invited to have dinner with some friends at their home in an upcoming weekend and when she texted if we would like to have any beer or wine and I texted back that we had stopped drinking I got no response! I made sure to point out that we were choosing not to drink but that we were totally ok if they wanted to enjoy a beverage!
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    I understand how you feel. In my opinion I do not like to drink. If they want you to drink soo much they should pay for it (and just to set your point straight get some expensive stuff.)
  • L00py_T0ucan
    L00py_T0ucan Posts: 1,378 Member
    Options
    If I'm not drinking, it mostly just upsets ... ME! :laugh: angry:

Seriously, though, I could see why it would be annoying if people are forcing drinks on you. I know folks in AA and I've heard that it's hard, especially when you are hanging out w/ your favorite boozehounds.

A nice 'drink in between drinks' or non-alcoholic drink is angostura bitters with soda and lime. To your health and goals! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    black sheep don't get slaughtered at night. think about it.

If someone were slaughtering sheep at night, why wouldn't they use a light?
  • VitaBailey
    VitaBailey Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I have been dealing with this forever!!! I do not enjoy it so I refuse to force myself to drink it to make other people comfortable. I am not a recovering alcoholic, or allergic or anything. I JUST DO NOT LIKE IT! I don't like the taste. My stomach does not respond well either.

Oh yeah, and I am not a goodie two shoes either. But I won't go into that. ;)
  • bigknight78
    Options
    People react like that when you say you dont drink or arent drinking because it makes them question their own lifestyle choices, and people dont like to be made to look at the unhealthy choices they make.

Just like if they get a huge greasy burger, fries & a milkshake while you pick a healthier option like grilled chicken with salad. You will get the "eating rabbit food" comments.

My friends have come to accept my choice to be tee total apart from the odd occassion. None of them judge me, and I am a cheap taxi service when I do go out. Those who did judge me, are no longer in my circle of friends, as theyre still out drinking themselves into a stupor every weekend. Whilst I am enjoying my healthier lifestyle choices :-)
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

you know how they never catch batman... same thing.

why? cause hes BATMAN!
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I find the only people who get upset or give a reaction are those who are jealous of my determination. I choose to ignore them.
  • BrieLP
    BrieLP Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I have been having this problem the last few weeks. My husband and I play on a co-ed softball team and half the team always shows up drunk and every week they ask us where our drinks our at. Last night they asked and we told them the truth, we don't drink during the week , we also don't drink the 1st, 3rd and 5th weekends of the month because we don't drink with our kids around. They didn't have a problem with it after we explained it that way. We are also social drinkers and don't just sit at home and drink so if we don't go to a bar we don't drink.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Only drunks gets upset at non-drinkers. That can't stand to see people that can choose not to drink.
    I know this well. Sober approaching 30 years now. But back in my youth I could not understand the non-drinker/choice drinker.
    For a drunk, drinking is the central activity, not the bowling, or fishing, or watching sports with friends. I used to say that drinking made doing nothing seem like doing something.
    Of course, the best part of being sober among a group of drunk friends is being to recall and remind them of every stupid think they did the night before. :bigsmile:
  • semperfit1823
    Options
    because they're addicted to a drug.
  • EmilyRanae22
    EmilyRanae22 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I've started to resort to saying really loudly "I'm a recovering alcoholic" shuts them up and gives me a little giggle in the process.

HA! Love it. Will have to try that one time.

Really cause when I say "I'm a recovering alcoholic" they say "you have self control right, i'm sure you could have just one or two." If it's chicks I like to say "because if I drink by the end of the night none of us will be friends and I'll be getting a divorce because I'll have made out if not more with each and everyone of your significant others!" That generally shuts them up and makes them feel REAL ackward.

If i'm in the "get laughs" mood I go for "I'm allergic to alcohol.....break out in hand cuffs."

It amuses me that a life of excesses has become the norm. I imagine you have gotten similar comments about trying to lose weight "You could totally eat a burger you've lost x amount of weight," "you don't need to lose anymore weight." Our society is bass ackwards to where excess is the norm and moderation is uncommon. And God forbid if you chose to turn away from excessive, eating, drinking, drug use and so forth, then the other people who really enjoy unhealthy behaviors throw a fit.
  • PaprikaPrincess
    PaprikaPrincess Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I usually say "I'm not drinking so I can drive your drunk butts home!"
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    While I agree that it's better to be honest about the fact you're not drinking, I also totally get that sometimes you don't want to deal with the hassling that comes with carrying around something that's clearly not alcohol. The beer bottle trick is a good one, but here's one that won't cost you anything beyond maybe a tip for the bartender - ask for club soda and lime in a short glass with a stir stick. Tell everyone it's gin and tonic. I'll have a REAL gin and tonic as my only drink of the night, and then the rest of the night will carry around a club soda with lime.

People think I'm still boozing it up with them, but my head is clear, I don't get hassled about "why aren't you drinking?", and I can drive everyone home if I need to. I usually confide my plan with the bartender, and tip well, so the "fake" drinks keep coming. :wink: Also, if people start suggesting shots, I can counter with "I'm already woozy, no shots for me, thanks!"

Sneaky, but it works, and doesn't bring down the buzz of the partiers around you. :tongue:
  • pyrowill
    pyrowill Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm glad this thread was here, i have a halloween party tomorrow night where I was debating drinking or not drinking. To be honest I'm not great socially, but I find drink helps me out with that. Perhaps I should learn how to be better in groups of people rather than need some booze to bring out the confidence. Think I'll stay on the diet coke tomorrow night. Wish juice was low cals.....
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i dont drink, but have no problem with other people drinking.

to shut people up i often say i'm pregnant (this to people who dont know me) or use the line someone mentioned above ' i used to be an alcoholic!"

it works :laugh: :laugh:
  • thatjulesgirl
    thatjulesgirl Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how you respond to the "oh why aren't you drinking?" question. I was a binge drinker whose social life seemed to revolve around it and am now a reformed teetotaller and having seen it from both sides of the fence it seems to be that if you respond with:
    - I don't need the extra calories
    - I can't, I have to drive home
    - I don't want to act like an idiot
    - I can't afford / don't want to waste the money

it comes across as a judgement... like "I'm being responsible and you're not so you're going to ingest calories you don't need, drive drunk, be and idiot and waste your money"...
    Strangely the only answer I seem to get away with is "I just don't really feel like it".
    There's also the skunk-at-the-garden-party factor. If people are setting out to get drunk and do stupid / inappropriate things, it's automatically going to seem like less fun having Sober Sally around saying "do you really think that's a good idea?!" especially because she'll probably remember it the next day! :P
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I just say I'm an alcoholic. Everyone pretty much shuts up. But, my friends know that about me (problem with alcohol) and respect my decision to not drink.

I guess since they are friends, they probably know you're not an alcoholic. I think they just want you to join in the fun. It's like if everyone is playing a game, and you're just sitting watching. They want you to play too. That's all.

One thing a teacher from a long time ago told me he used to do, and I think this is brilliant, he would order a beer in a dark bottle, then immediately take it into the bathroom, pour it out and fill it with water. Then, everyone would think he's drinking. He would just sip on it so he didn't have to keep wasting money, but, it solved the problem of everyone asking him to join them for a drink. You can try that sometime. Although, in some ways, I disagree with that, in another way, it's an easier way to avoid the conflict. Especially for business meetings, if they are important. It could be a good way to stay "in". Or, you could move away from your friends, go to the end of the bar or something, and order soda water with a lime. Then, you can just say its vodka and soda.

But, the alcoholic thing works wonders. No one will mess with you after that.

why would you say you're an alcoholic? if your not really an alcoholic? this only creates problems because if they see you drinking some where down the line then they start talking about you.

besides the fact that alcoholism is a real problem, take from me I'm a alcoholic and I've been sober 6 years

the best advice is just tell them no thanks and if they have a problem with it then it's there problem

I guess you missed the part where I said I am.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

you know how they never catch batman... same thing.

why? cause hes BATMAN!

Now I'm really confused!! Batman doesn't get caught in the day either! Does that mean you can never slaughter a black sheep? And if not, shouldn't Batman have a pet Batsheep?