Upset people because you DONT drink alcohol

Options

Replies

• LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Order a "Virgin Cuba Libre." Diet cola with lime.

I don't think I've had anyone give me grief about not drinking since was about 19. I didn't drink at all then. I didn't start drinking until shortly before my 21st birthday when I was stranded at my boyfriend's parents' house during a blizzard... It was enough to drive anyone to alcohol. :laugh:

I drink now, but I don't drink often or a lot, and no one gets upset if I'm not drinking. I also don't get upset if they offer me a drink... I just say "no thanks" and don't assume they're trying to pressure me.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I go to clubs/bars regularly as I photograph bands. I don't drink when I'm photographing and I don't drink if I have to drive myself to the bar, it has nothing to do with wanting to lose weight, I stopped drinking regularly about 10 years ago. If I'm offered a drink I say "no thanks" and people accept that. I drink on VERY rare occasions when I'm at home with friends or someone else is driving and I don't have to drive anywhere.

None of my friends get upset if I'm not drinking. If people are pushing alcohol on you maybe they're not such great friends. It's ok to be mature enough to have a good time without alcohol! :laugh:

Edited to add: I agree with the person who said if you're NOT an alcoholic, you shouldn't tell people you are. Just be honest with your friends. I have two friends who are recovering alcoholics and it's not something to joke about.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I'd stay away from the answers that seem judgy. I'm doing it for "health," "DUI," etc. It kind of implies that you can't drink and not have these problems. And you can. It also might put people more on edge. If they're already on it, this isn't good.

I'd also stay away from lying.

I'd tell them that it doesn't fit into your calories.

For me, some alcohols, I don't like the taste of. Some make me sick.

And if the people don't like it, don't spend time with them again. Not only can they decide not to spend time with you, when you know alcohol might be involved and you don't want it, if they're going to be pushy, you can make the decision to stay away from them. People worth being around respect your choices.
  • RobinME
    RobinME Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I completely agree! I get the same thing all the time. I don't drink period, but yet people are always trying to push it on me. And food too. What's up with that?!
    I feel your pain.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    For the same reason that people who don't drink get all judgemental about people who do. They are judgemental pricks and probably feel guilty about their own consumption so it makes them feel better to single out your lack of consumption. And my attitude is who the hell cares!

Nope. You have it wrong. They are happy friendly people that want you to join in on the fun. Same thing, but different way to look at it. People are not judgemental pricks. They are just people. It usually more simple than what you are making it. Look at the lighter more positive side of it.

Sorry, but I have to respectfully disagree. Working in the bar business for 20+ years, I have seen enough of this to be able to make an educated hypothesis that the people who are singling out the non-drinker are almost always the same people who drink well past excess. They do not want you to join the fun: they are uncomfortable with your sobriety because it highlights their own drunken stupidity and magnifies their own feelings of guilt or shame. Otherwise, they would either not care and not say anything, or they would ask once and drop it. I have plenty of friends who don't drink, and I could give a rat's pattotie. It is their decision to not do, as it is mine to do so. Perhaps some may think I am cynical, but my opinion is based purely on my observations of human behavior.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It never ceases to amaze me that people think you have to drink alcohol to have a good time.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am much younger than all my friends and they all started drinking way before I did. That being said, I come from a family with a history of alcoholism and I had my own problems with addictions and knew better than to start something I couldn't stop. I didn't drink a drop of alcohol until after I had turned 21. I got so much crap all the time about it from kids who were drinking, my friends who were already 21 and had been drinking since 16...my cousin, you name it.
    Now, as an almost 22 year old, I drink rarely, and sparingly. I waited until I knew I could handle it mentally and it's ok. I'll go out sometimes and not drink a drop but no one cares anymore now that we're older.
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I get this too. I've started to resort to saying really loudly "I'm a recovering alcoholic" shuts them up and gives me a little giggle in the process.

LOL
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I am someone who has NEVER drank alcohol. I personally choose not to, though, because I know I have an addictive personality. And, I would rather concentrate on my faith and relationship with Jesus Christ. I choose to be better safe than sorry. Plus, I have personally seen what kind of damage it can do to a family and especially to innocent children. I'm not sure why people get upset when I won't drink with them. It dumbfounds me. I have been called all sorts of names because I refuse to drink. Though, I will not try to stop anyone else from drinking if they so choose.

When I turned 21, one of my "best friends" tried to get me to drink. She hit the ceiling when I refused. She literally would not give up on trying to get me to for several months. I finally told her that if she did not give up on her quest to get me to drink, she would lose a friend. She finally gave up.

I also refuse to work anywhere where I would have to serve it. I've gotten a few crazy looks for that too... but, again, it's just a personal choice of mine.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Join the Mormon Church.. They will never ask, as none of them ever drink alcohol. If you are bothered by the things that people say to you when they are drinking... Then don't hang out with people who drink.
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    I take a medication that states "DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE TAKING THIS MEDICATION".

That's the best time to have a drink!

lol - in my 20's I wholeheartedly agreed with this. In my 50's I would probably end up dead! :laugh:
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I only drink alone. Drinking in social settings is obnoxious.

I think people just want everyone drunk so there are no credible witnesses of what goes down.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Ugh!! I understand. The city I grew up in is very much a German/Irish Catholic town....felt like I couldn't get away from it. I usually drink diet cokes when I go out - generally I prefer them to wine/beer. It isn't that I don't drink - I just don't drink very much.

I remember being at at family party and my cousin went to get a beer and asked me if I wanted one, and caught himself, "Oh yeah, you don't drink - sorry..." I didn't much care, but I figured I was going to have to come up with something to say when that happened out in other social settings to not make it sound like I was being judgemental.

One of the prescriptions I'm on says not to drink alcohol, so I usually say that as opposed to "I'm dieting" (and thinking "you thoughtless wretch!"). When people observe, "Hey, I don't think I've ever seen you drink..." I just say, "Yeah, one of the meds I'm on says not to, and I'd rather not see what happens if I do." It isn't a lie, and it usually shuts things down right there.

:)
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    I don't drink and I don't care if other people get upset about that or not. If they get upset about that they are not worth having as friends.
  • sortasandy
    Options
    I tend to get a Diet Coke and keep my mouth shut about not drinking - most of the time, people don't even realize I'm not drinking an alcoholic beverage. When they do notice, I tend to get nosy questions about whether or not I'm pregnant (I'm married without kids, which apparently makes my uterus their business).

Since this annoys me, I shut them up with the following:

DRINKER: Oooh, you're not drinking. Somebody must have a bun in the oven...!

ME: [surprised] Oh, no. Actually [moving hands over stomach in circular motion] I've had a vicious bout of diarrhea all day. Just don't want to risk upsetting the ecosystem.

Works every time. (I think they realize they're not as interested in what's going on with my body as they thought they were. :devil:)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I started driving to meet friends, then I explain to them that I'm driving so I'm not going to drink. They understand, and anyone who is a friend sure as hell wouldn't let you drink and drive. :)
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    If someone wants to go to the bar with me and not drink, they must meet 2 requirements.

1. Be the designated driver.
    2. Don't talk about what happened in the drunken stupor.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I rarely drink in public (one drink makes me SOOOO sleepy, if I drink it's in my PJ's right before bed)
    But I have never had anyone as anything to me when put and I turn down a drink.

*but, I don't go to bars. I guess That would be more imaginable, being at a bar and not drinking and people saying something)
  • kf4vkp
    kf4vkp Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Every time I don't drink my friends ask me if I'm pregnant....not that there has been a chance lately but they all think I'm still seeing my ex that they don't like.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Some people are dillholes.