CARBS ARE GOOD!

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Potatoes are fantastic post workout food.
    Turns right into muscle food!
    Nothing wrong with em!

I eat potatoes several times a week. Not only are they delicious and versatile, they are inexpensive.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

It doesn't matter what you believe. The research has been around for a number of years and it is being added to all of the time. Carbohydrate restriction is the healthiest way to reduce body fat. There are people who cannot lose body fat on what would be a starvation diet for some folk---their bodies will actually cannibalize their muscles rather than burn fat on a carbohydrate-rich diet. The only thing that works for those individuals is carbohydrate restriction. It is simply not true that calories alone are the key.

This is complete nonsense. Studies show no difference between the various methods of losing weight in terms of health or efficacy. Nothing wrong with low carb if that is your preference but don't spout BS. Or back it up, but if people like James Krieger, Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald and our own Steve Troutman haven't found any credible studies that prove this, I doubt you will.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter what you believe. The research has been around for a number of years and it is being added to all of the time. Carbohydrate restriction is the healthiest way to reduce body fat. There are people who cannot lose body fat on what would be a starvation diet for some folk---their bodies will actually cannibalize their muscles rather than burn fat on a carbohydrate-rich diet. The only thing that works for those individuals is carbohydrate restriction. It is simply not true that calories alone are the key.

This is crap.

Heres a simple way to understand fat....
    The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

If you give fat a reason not to exist then it wont...to a degree.
    Carbs trigger leptin.
    Leptin triggers fat loss.

Sure you can limit carbs and eat lower than you burn but lets be honest, unless you have an iron will YOU will eat the carbs again.
    The trick is to learn when to eat the proper carbs in order to make them work for you.
    Even women with PCOS or high insulin resistance can benefit from carbs be it starchy or fibrous.
    So the true question is.....how do we repair our broken metabolisms so we dont have to limit our foods?
    Its certainly not by restricting 1 specific macronutrient.
    That is unless you are allergic to specific foods.

Some of the best whooshes reported by my group have been after eating high cals with high carbs post chronic caloric restriction.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    So, I can drop the potatos, the rice, the pasta, and get all my carbs from VEGETABLES (which are carbs)... Right?

Yes. I'm right.

Why? Because I dropped carbs, feel fan-frikkin'-tastic, and I've lost weight. So there.

Me too. Actually, considerably reduced the simple carbs but I never pass up a complex carb! Never felt better! I must be one of the metabolically broken ones. And, did I say that I've never felt better?!

I think an issue in this thread is generalizing the carbs together. Good "carbs" like whole grains and veggies are one thing. Potatoes, corn and etc are another. I personally don't feel well on to many grains, and def not the lesser carbs. But veggies and protein I feel cleaner inside, more energy.

I think its important to do what feels right for you and your body.

POTATOES are GOOD CARBS! They provide fibre and a multitude of vitamins and are especially high in B6 and Vitamin C...keep the skin on to get the most benefit.

The only time potatoes should be restricted is when they are peeled and fried in fat!

I may start a "We love potatoes group!"
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Thanks, Dan. Great post.

Another thing I could add to my personal experience is that I have *never* been in a large caloric restriction. Not *every* obese woman has been dieting her whole life.
  • mmapags
    Options
    So, I can drop the potatos, the rice, the pasta, and get all my carbs from VEGETABLES (which are carbs)... Right?

Yes. I'm right.

Why? Because I dropped carbs, feel fan-frikkin'-tastic, and I've lost weight. So there.

Me too. Actually, considerably reduced the simple carbs but I never pass up a complex carb! Never felt better! I must be one of the metabolically broken ones. And, did I say that I've never felt better?!

I think an issue in this thread is generalizing the carbs together. Good "carbs" like whole grains and veggies are one thing. Potatoes, corn and etc are another. I personally don't feel well on to many grains, and def not the lesser carbs. But veggies and protein I feel cleaner inside, more energy.

POTATOES are GOOD CARBS! They provide fibre and a multitude of vitamins and are especially high in B6 and Vitamin C...keep the skin on to get the most benefit.

The only time potatoes should be restricted is when they are peeled and fried in fat!

And potatssim, don't forget potassium. Why do we have to hate on foods and call them "good" or "bad"? So sad.....:sad:
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options

Yes. I'm right.

And potatssim, don't forget potassium. Why do we have to hate on foods and call them "good" or "bad"? So sad.....:sad:

I have PCOS and eat potatoes all the time.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

This is complete nonsense. Studies show no difference between the various methods of losing weight in terms of health or efficacy. Nothing wrong with low carb if that is your preference but don't spout BS. Or back it up, but if people like James Krieger, Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald and our own Steve Troutman haven't found any credible studies that prove this, I doubt you will.

For one, there's a book by medical researcher, Richard Johnson, M.D. called, The Fat Switch. In it, he describes some of the biochemistry of obesity---and the results of his research. it is fascinating reading. You should try it.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

This is crap.

Heres a simple way to understand fat....
    The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

If you give fat a reason not to exist then it wont...to a degree.
    Carbs trigger leptin.
    Leptin triggers fat loss.

Sure you can limit carbs and eat lower than you burn but lets be honest, unless you have an iron will YOU will eat the carbs again.
    The trick is to learn when to eat the proper carbs in order to make them work for you.
    Even women with PCOS or high insulin resistance can benefit from carbs be it starchy or fibrous.
    So the true question is.....how do we repair our broken metabolisms so we dont have to limit our foods?
    Its certainly not by restricting 1 specific macronutrient.
    That is unless you are allergic to specific foods.

Some of the best whooshes reported by my group have been after eating high cals with high carbs post chronic caloric restriction.

You are forgetting that lower-carb eating helps to get the appetite under control by lowering blood sugar for a long enough period that insulin levels start to come down and that helps to control appetite. When you combine that with exercise---weight training in particular, insulin resistance is lowered as well. In addition, uric acid levels come down on a carbohydrate (and purine) restricted diet. Many obese individuals have a real problem with very high uric acid levels. The high uric acid levels are part of the obesity picture.
  • furenaef
    furenaef Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    brb, having ben and jerrys peanut butter cup ice cream, a whole pint of it, and still being 12% bf.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Yes. I'm right.

I have PCOS and eat potatoes all the time.

Potatoes are a great source of magnesium and potassium---very good minerals for those trying to lose weight. Adequate magnesium levels are essential for cellular energy transfer. And potassium counters the effect of high sodium intake. Excessive sodium is also part of the obesity picture---particularly in the form of monosodium glutamate---which is included in virtually all fast food and other types of food like canned soup, (which also has an excess of sodium chloride--salt).
  • mmapags
    Options

For one, there's a book by medical researcher, Richard Johnson, M.D. called, The Fat Switch. In it, he describes some of the biochemistry of obesity---and the results of his research. it is fascinating reading. You should try it.

That is not a peer reviewd study from a credible source. I gave you sources that are all some of the most credible and respected in the area of nutrition and fitness. They all come to the same conclusion. Low carb can be useful for some and I am not against it. However, it is not a universal solution and there is no proven advantage in terms of efficacy or health. Plain and simple. Expand your horizons and open your mind.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

That is not a peer reviewd study from a credible source. I gave you sources that are all some of the most credible and respected in the area of nutrition and fitness. They all come to the same conclusion. Low carb can be useful for some and I am not against it. However, it is not a universal solution and there is no proven advantage in terms of efficacy or health. Plain and simple. Expand your horizons and open your mind.

Peer review is not all it is cracked up to be. And just because something is not peer reviewed doesn't mean that it is crap research. I doubt that Dr. Johnson's research will ultimately be non-peer reviewed since it was done under a National Institutes of Health grant. I never said that lower-carb (ultra low carb diets are NOT a healthy way to lose weight) dieting is for everyone---but the biochemistry of obesity often responds best to lower-carb eating because of its ability to lower insulin levels. High insulin levels are very deleterious to health---in addition to leading to insulin resistance and Type II diabetes. Many obese individuals report that they have difficulty controlling their appetites on a carb-rich diet and that they have much better appetite control on a carb-restricted diet.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Peer review is not all it is cracked up to be. And just because something is not peer reviewed doesn't mean that it is crap research. I doubt that Dr. Johnson's research will ultimately be non-peer reviewed since it was done under a National Institutes of Health grant. I never said that lower-carb (ultra low carb diets are NOT a healthy way to lose weight) dieting is for everyone---but the biochemistry of obesity often responds best to lower-carb eating because of its ability to lower insulin levels. High insulin levels are very deleterious to health---in addition to leading to insulin resistance and Type II diabetes. Many obese individuals report that they have difficulty controlling their appetites on a carb-rich diet and that they have much better appetite control on a carb-restricted diet.
    [/quote]

Low carb approach is a couple centuries and the success of it is well documented. This issue comes from government funding of "research" that only support predetermined outcomes. The government prefers a one-size-fits-all answer for everything.
    There is not single answer to what works.
    I have experimented with my own carb intake lately and even whole grain carbs trigger cravings. But cheese and nuts never do.
    A newly formed nutrition science group has been formed to use honest scientific method to evaluate nutrition approaches.
    http://nusi.org/
  • mmapags
    Options

Peer review is not all it is cracked up to be.

Says who? Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that. Not that all peer reviewed studies are perfect but they are heads and shoulders above "Dr. SoandSo says. If Dr. Johnson couldn't get funding, what does that tell you? So again, post credible data that backs up your statements or simply identify them as you opinion and nothing more.
  • mmapags
    Options

[/quote]

Low carb approach is a couple centuries and the success of it is well documented. This issue comes from government funding of "research" that only support predetermined outcomes. The government prefers a one-size-fits-all answer for everything.
    There is not single answer to what works.
    I have experimented with my own carb intake lately and even whole grain carbs trigger cravings. But cheese and nuts never do.
    A newly formed nutrition science group has been formed to use honest scientific method to evaluate nutrition approaches.
    http://nusi.org/
    [/quote]

Would that be the group started by Gary Taubes the jounalist?? lol Surely you jest?? And are we now into conspiracy theories?? Wait let me put on my tin foil hat!! This in where you low carb extemist lose most people. If low carb works for you, great. it has it's benefits. It has it's limitations. It is not the great new religion. It is just a tool. Effective for some. Not for others.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Unless you are diabetic or pre-diabetic.

That is true that "good" carbs are right and proper and a great source of nutrients. But they need to be restricted if one is diabetic or pre-diabetic. My brother and my mother have Type II diabetes. I had gestational diabetes with my pregnancies. Both of those facts (plus my high blood sugar/high insulin levels) make me a prime candidate for diabetes. It would be insane for me to load up on carbohydrates. Most obese people have aberrant carbohydrate metabolism---particularly obese women.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Peer review is not all it is cracked up to be.

Says who? Sorry, but I'm calling BS on that. Not that all peer reviewed studies are perfect but they are heads and shoulders above "Dr. SoandSo says. If Dr. Johnson couldn't get funding, what does that tell you? So again, post credible data that backs up your statements or simply identify them as you opinion and nothing more.

Who said that Dr. Johnson couldn't get funding? He is a respected scientist who is the head of the renal division at the University of Colorado. He is currently studying the role of fructose in the epidemic of kidney failure among field workers in warm climates.
  • Bobbie_89
    Bobbie_89 Posts: 146
    Options
    I've been on my actual journey since May and I hardly watched my carb intake. I believe it was about a month ago my mom told me about this show she watched (Fat Head) and she said its all about watching carbs and sugar. Well, I thought I would give it a shot (even though I was losing weight without watching my carbs) and I just felt more hungier. I kept upping my carbs (started out at 115) by at least 10 every week. I threw that out the window, I'm happy with my carbs and if I still lose the weight and inches I'm fine with it. Every once in awhile I'll eat my sweets like crazy.