EXTREME weight loss & divorce

Options
swagner73
swagner73 Posts: 43 Member
I have heard of a lot of people who when they met & married their spouse, both were heavy but both were very happy. Sometime during the marriage, one partner lost an extreme amount of weight the right way - exercising & eating right. Not long after, the marriage split. Why do you think this happens? Would it have happened if both partners stayed unhealthy? There "seemed to be" no problems in the marriage, BUT we never know what goes on behind closed doors so we really never know.

I guess I'm just a little worried because both the hubs & I are very heavy and have had a lot issues in the past that we successfully fought through & made our marriage stronger. BUT -- He has a lot of underlying health issues that would be corrected with weight loss but he seems content with where he is. He also bought a dozen Krispy Kreme donuts & was going to bring them home KNOWING donuts are the one food which will send me on a downward spiral.

Have your spouses/partners/significant others gotten on board with your loss? Or are they like mine, content to sit around & bring in "your weakness"?

Replies

• omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I think many times the marriages end because the thin person now has options. Perhaps they settled when they were heavier. Sad fact, but true sometimes.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I think sometimes it is that the weight loss bring out more confidence and new interests (my neighbor got into cycling and then triatholons and those folks became his new friends). Some people take on a healthy lifestyle, but if their spouse is not supportive, it can drive a rift through the relationship. Often times, I think it just somehow magnifies problems that have always been there.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I think in some cases, the marriages end because as the person getting healthy starts to raise their self-esteem, they suddenly realize that they don't need to be putting up with what they've been putting up with. Once that confidence is raised and you start respecting yourself, you start to notice more that your partner perhaps doesn't, or isn't treating you well.

This happened to me.
  • The_New_Christina
    The_New_Christina Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    My husband has voiced his worries to me about if I will "leave him" after I lose a bunch of weight. I told him "You met me at 220 lbs. I'm now down to 208, and even once I get to my goal weight I will not leave you. Because you loved me and accepted me the way I was at 220 lbs (and my highest 280) and that means alot to me!" I love this man and whether I'm fat or thin, I'll always love him the same!
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    My husband has always been very fit, and I think I got resentful after having difficult pregnancies and gaining lots of weight over the last few years. Now that I've lost a bunch, I feel like we finally look like a couple again. I actually find myself teasing him about not exercising as often as he says he's going to (how the tables have turned!) I know what you mean, though, about weight loss and divorce. My uncle (who is sweet, and funny, and chubby) was married to a woman that we all adored, and they seemed very happy. Until she lost about 50lbs and thought she was hot **** and left him. Poor guy. Sure, he could have lost weight and gotten healthier too, but I suppose he's content with where he is. I think it's hard for healthy people to see unhealthy people and not see laziness. And I don't anybody finds laziness attractive. :ohwell:
  • laylasmommy67
    laylasmommy67 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Krispy Kremes are my weakness too....and SO brings them to me when we fight....I think they are made with crack...I just cannot say no to them!

But SO isnt on board with my weight loss...kinda makes me sad...He thinks that I am getting healthy so I will leave him (which is definitely not the case) and it makes him insecure and withdrawn, which in return makes things tense between us.....We will work it out, just like everything else, but just wish he would understand my intentions are strictly for my wellbeing.
  • StyxxandStones
    Options
    I think in some cases, the marriages end because as the person getting healthy starts to raise their self-esteem, they suddenly realize that they don't need to be putting up with what they've been putting up with. Once that confidence is raised and you start respecting yourself, you start to notice more that your partner perhaps doesn't, or isn't treating you well.

This happened to me.

^^ this.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just try to keep the communication open and remember you can only be accountable for yourself. Your husband has to make his own decisions.

Weight loss is more an outcome of change, not the cause of it.
  • mhouston2011
    Options

This happened to me.

I couldn't have said it better...this happened to me too
  • sherbear2678
    sherbear2678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    keep at it, he may decide to follow your lead once you've been on ur path long enuf - for now, definitely ask him not to bring donuts in - especially a dozen! it took my hubby 6 months of me doing well losing weight and getting results before he got on board with losing weight and using mfp... good luck :)
  • comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I might be slammed for saying this, but I think unhappiness is usually the motivating factor in making any life change including weight loss. I think that if the decision is made to loose weight by one and not the other it can mean that that person is unhappy in their life.
  • arykh24
    arykh24 Posts: 64
    Options
    my husband was NOT supportive of my weight loss. he has never been very active and has no idea about nutrition, but he also is NOT overweight. He says he loved me the way I was and wanted to know WHY I needed to change. 3 months ago, I left him. We are divorcing. We were married for 4.5 years and we had our issues, but him not supporting me in something like losing weight, was a HUGE eye opener!
  • gypsyrose64
    gypsyrose64 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm not married, but have a male roommate. We've known each other for a long time, and have cohabited for over 2yrs without an issue. He's 6'2" and no problem with weight. Eats anything. Lately, he's been sabotaging my meal plans and I swear it's on purpose!! Then he mentioned the other day, "if you get all thin and hot I guess you will find some guy and punt me to the curb."

The light bulb went off! He's afraid he'll lose our cozy living arrangements and get replaced. True, we're not a couple, but it would upset his world all the same. I think spouses can get insecure about the partner that is losing weight. You see it happen too many times. Newly thin partner thinks it's time for an upgrade and throws in the towel.

It's easier for the heavier partner to sabotage things, then get on board with the program. Insecurities can make people do stupid stuff.
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Marraiges don't just end because one person gets to a healthy body weight while the other does not. There is WAY more going on, usually behind closed doors, that lead to the demise. And, a partner who can't be supportive of the person they promised to love & cherish, while they endeavor to make choices for better health?????? I'd say there's definitely an underlying issue that needs explored. Certainly not insurmountable, but left unaddressed, it could become very troublesome.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Losing a lot of weight and keeping it off is a huge change in lifestyle. A huge change in lifestyle accompanies a huge change in perspective and outlook on life in general. Of course that will affect your personality. I guess what depends is whether or not your partner is able to either adapt to it, or even just accept it.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I'm no psychologist, not even an amateur psychologist, but it might be that he's feeling a little lost. Both of you obviously love food (me too!) and I'm wondering if he feels like he's losing something special between the two of you (your love of food) and he brings home the donuts in the hope of bringing back what he's losing.

Just a thought I had.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I think jealousy is the biggest factor here.
  • Xarina
    Xarina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My hubby seems content about where he is even though he shouldn't be. He tries bull**** comments like he's just gonna stop eating altogether whenever he doesn't get what he want's. Which just backfires on him because he doesn't like getting yelled at. He always makes up excuses, and I tell him we're going anyways. We just started this less than a week ago though so I hope he stops whining when he gets used to it and actual sees some good results.

I really think it depends on the couple if they stay together. I was 164 pounds when we became a couple (long distance US-Sweden), 273 when we got married. I don't think we're gonna be in trouble when we lose weight, really. But you never know.
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    My husband and I went through a very difficult time that lasted a few years. But I don't blame the fact that I got healthy and he did not. I think the problems came first. I think I started to work on me to prepare myself to be alone. I wasn't sure we were going to make it so I started to spend more time on me, getting strong... in many ways.

Since then we have sought counseling and have repaired a lot of the damage to our marriage and he is now excercising with me!
    So in my opinion, if your relationship is strong it will stay strong despite the lifestyle changes.
  • Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Talk to your spouse about your need for support and that includes not bringing home donuts.