Why do people.......

Options

Replies

• Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to friends only. I don't want someone, I don't know, who has lost 5 pounds giving me advice as to why I shouldn't eat lean cuisines. :)
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I don't open my diary because admittedly there are many days where I'm way "off" and I don't need anyone telling me that my habits were less than stellar. I'm not up for the criticism. The diary is my tool so I can track what I've eaten and then make changes when I see what my eating did to the scale.
    I know what I should be eating and I know what works -- when I do it. I don't need people telling me what I should eat. When I want advice, it's more often about how to handle situations, or moods, or break habits, and I'll ask for that in the message boards.
  • AimersBee
    AimersBee Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    ....Not have their food diary available for friends to see, the amount of knowledge on this site will be vast and by scrutinising your diary's people will be able to give you some great advice.

basically.....get your diarys out!

Why is your profile private...how can we see your diary??????

^ this

lol
  • wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Mine has always been open and somehow I have never had people rudely criticize what I eat. I welcome suggestions and feedback, I think it is how we learn and can improve yourselves, said in a nice way of course.
  • HSingMomto7Kids
    HSingMomto7Kids Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I have mine open to my friends but not open to the public. Some people on the boards can be a little critical sometimes. I do like when my friends have them open as I feel like I get to know them more like I can say oh I love Kashi cereal. I eat it too..etc I have not gotten to know many of my friends that keep it private unless they share other things as well. I respect those that keep it private, but I still wish they had it open. lol I didn't really even think of making my food diary private, but I felt judged a few days ago, so it would be a better idea as I have not logged it since. I think everyone just needs to be supportive, and not critical. Maybe some would share more if that was the case.
  • EnchantedEvening
    EnchantedEvening Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    At first, I didn't have it open because I didn't want unsolicited advice.

Now, it's closed because I don't track every day (or I forget to enter lunch and dinner), and I don't want people to think I'm starving myself. I eat pretty much the same things every day and know how many calories they are, so I only track when I'm going out to eat, going on vacation, or have a weird water gain and decide to get militant about my macros for a few days.

A lot of people have added me lately, though, so I might open it up. As my weight goes down, my friend requests go up, and I think they might be looking to me for inspiration. (I am so not a role model...) ;)
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Because I am not here to get advice or feedback on my diary. Not everyone works the same way.

This. I'm here for myself, not for other people.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    ....Not have their food diary available for friends to see, the amount of knowledge on this site will be vast and by scrutinising your diary's people will be able to give you some great advice.

basically.....get your diarys out!

Why is your profile private...how can we see your diary??????

^ this

lol

+1
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Mine is almost always open to friends, but if I am going through a very bad spell and am not pleased with myself, I'll keep it closed. I'd rather log honestly, which I may not do if I kept it open, and I don't want encouragement or advice unless I ask for it when I'm struggling. I know what I'm doing wrong on the days I struggle--I should just say "no" to grains. I don't want to hear it from you, and you, and you too.
  • Troll
    Troll Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I never use my food diary on here, i have a spiral notebook i keep.

mine is open, but its random things that i didnt have the info on. i likely didnt eat what shows up in my diary.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    I was a little worried about putting my diary out when I first started, just because I don't take criticism well. But, my main goal here is to eat better. How am I going to do that if nobody knows what I'm eating? My diary is open to friends only and I can say that I have a great group of friends that critique it. I've gotten notes telling me to increase my veggie/fruit servings, because of that I've increased and feel a lot better about myself. I've also watched what I eat better because I know it's going down in the diary for everyone to see. I also have had friends question days that they saw as low calorie days. This was great to me, because it meant they did care about my well being. I just explained my height, weight and that it was a rest day because of an injury. This also started a good dialogue about the injury.

And, like someone above stated, I like looking at other's diaries. It gives me great ideas for my meals.
  • Laddiegirl
    Laddiegirl Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I just don't feel the need to have comments or suggestions on my diary. I track everyday and I track honestly. I can see where I do bad and I do good and can correct as needed.

Like the other person posted, not everyone works the same way.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to my friends. Beyond that....I have enough trolls and hasslers in my life, thank you.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    who wants cake

264023596875001350_fwGHTvpu_c.jpg

I wish cake went to her boobs too
  • sarahslim100
    sarahslim100 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure. I like having mine open, and I like seeing what other people eat as well. I like the accountability of an open diary. But then again, I've never minded sharing my weight either, and other people shy away from that as well. Everyone works in different ways.
    [/quote

Agreed
  • Michaelsdin
    Options
    i would love someone to show me some help im tired of salad chicken with dressing EVERY dinner lol. how do u post your "diery" as they call it?
  • ChiGirl79
    Options
    I totally agree however i think you can get a good idea of the people that do have an idea regarding nutrition by profile pictures etc. People should be smart enough to realise who is speaking sense

I disagree. Esp. with the profile photos part. I have friends on here that have completed triathlons who are "bigger" or weigh more than me. A feat, I would like to mention that I am (at this time) incapable of doing. I myself have a few half marathons under my belt but I do not have a "runners" physique. You can't judge a persons level of fitness based on how they look or what they weigh for that matter. That also stands true with diets. When I am training for a half, my calorie and carb intake goes way up as my mileage does. From only glancing at my diary on those days, you would not have a good understanding of it.

Everyone is using MFP for their own personal reasons. But I think it is safe to say that a good majority of the members don't use it to be judged by their weight, what they eat, or how often they exercise. If they want to share their diary info good for them, if not it is not for anyone else to judge. I use it for the support and to track my goals-and to hopefully give support and encouragement to others.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    You mean.. *gasp* we're not all the same?!? Mind officially blown.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    because fvck it, that's why.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    no thanks.... Plus after reading the other day some judgemental girl b.1t(hIng about her friends binging on cr@p , i said, ok, thats one of the reasons why my diary is private.
    Plus im not here to get feedback nor advice.. If my friends dont like it, they can unfriend me... no problem!