Do you eat before or after your exercise?

Options

Replies

• kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat a Fiber One Bar (Oats and Chocolate) before I hit the gym mainly because I've had type one diabetes for 27 years. It keeps me from experiencing a low blood sugar and I get a snack........
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    HI!
    i do my main exercising (typically) first thing in the morning so i am able to grab some tea and H2o and go for it.
    they say that it is best for fat burn to go on "E" so that the workout actually burns what is already there (fat),
    instead of using the food we have just eaten as fuel?
    hhhmmm...i always wonder about these different opinions....and their validity?
    ~ all i know is that i feel great when i wake up and,
    on an empty stomach, burn at least 250 calories to start my day:flowerforyou:

best wishes!!!
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    something small before and then normal/bigger after.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I would find something small to snack on if you're within an hour of exercise, just to settle your stomach (Personally, I have to eat before a work out or I get dizzy and shaky pretty quick) Half a banana, a spoonful of peanut butter, a small bar, anything that won't sit heavily in your stomach.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    If I'm feeling peckish, I'll usually have something small like some trail mix or a granola bar. I try to wait until after I work out though, especially if I'm running or doing yoga or another cardio. Weight lifting it's not as bad, but it still makes me uncomfortable.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Even if I'm hungry , i just go work out...eating food before makes me feel like I'm going to be sick...and when this happens I don't work as hard...so i just wait until after, and then I eat.
  • LadyOfOceanBreeze
    LadyOfOceanBreeze Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    seriously though...I train fasted ..usually eat about 20% of my cals at lunch ...workout about 4:30 and then largest meal of day is post work out...

this. (the red velvet sounded fun though lol)
  • pinky_pie
    Options
    After

After as well (I'll feel barf-tastic if I workout with anything on my stomach).
  • anil8er
    Options
    if i'm ready to leave but just to hungry, I eat a scoop of peanut butter and or banana to hold me. I prefer to workout on an empty stomach, but not starving if you know what I mean. Your body will be begging for intake after you burn calories in the gym, so your window of oppurtunity is within 45 minutes to get some high protein drink or food in you for recovery.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing a strength workout - yes. I've found that I completely crash halfway through my workout (lightheadedness and sometimes dizziness if I don't eat a decent amount of carbs beforehand. For cardio, I usually eat protein before and that works well.
  • PNW_Chip
    PNW_Chip Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a little before I work out. If I don't I feel like crap midway through. Especially on days that I lift weights.
  • sblake204
    sblake204 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Since I workout after work I eat a small meal an hour prior to hitting the gym. Right after my last exercise or cardio workout i have a protein shake within 30 mins. Then I eat again once I get home. On my off days ill do cardio on an empty stomach and protein right after.
  • HDimple
    Options
    You should always eat before doing any exercise
    if you exercise on a hungry stomach you gonna lose muscle weight not fat weight
  • elebel82
    elebel82 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I always eat before, and then wait an hour to workout. Can take a bit of time, sometimes, but it works for me. Also serves to help remind me that I'm eating simply to fuel my body.
  • Grizzly_Mike
    Options
    I eat about an hour before my workouts and an hour after my workouts. usually carbs and protein post workout. I workout in the morning so my pre meal is either Egg-white Omelet or Oatmeal.
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    before-banana
    during -protein smoothy
    after-something with protien,,
    just lots of protein
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    If I'm going REAL heavy, before....
    Try that on a heavy squat/leg day if you want to put on a graphic demonstration of projectile vomiting in the gym! I'll eat a light meal 3-4 hours before a heavy leg workout - anything closer than that and I'm queasy/nauseous/on the verge of puking the entire time.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    I just can't workout on an empty stomach. If I have less than an hour before my workout, liquid only - juice, almond milk. If it's 1 hour before I'll have something light, simple carbs - half a banana, or a yogurt cup, nothing with lots of protein or fat. If I have a heavier breakfast, bacon and eggs, I have to wait at least 2.5 hours after eating to work out.

After working out I eat like I've never eaten before, OR I'm not hungry at all. It's odd
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    My daily routine is I will usually cook dinner before going to the gym, and have a banana or some grapes or cheese or something for a little energy, and then when we come home after the gym, dinner is waiting. It works out perfect.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I always eat after. I always feel terrible when I work out with a full stomach. Just be sure to drink lots of water beforehand.

Usual workouts are evenings, so after. If I'm starved, maybe a protein bar or something else small beforehand. Either way, I drink about a quart of vitamin-enhanced water during a typical cardio workout.