Do you eat before or after your exercise?

Options

Replies

• Both. :)
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    after...99% of the time...Only reason I would eat before it's if I'm off and I can eat like 1-2 hours before I train.
    I would take some carbs to fuel me up ...If not I could take a pre-workout drink or just train like I do everyday with an intra-workout drink and after I take my post-workout + food.
  • momofpoophead
    momofpoophead Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it makes more sense to eat before ypu work out. Not right before you work out, but at least an hour before exercising because I agree with not wanting to be active witth a full stomach. It does make sense not to eat after working out because you will just consume all the calories you burned off, if not more
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Before, During AND After! No joke!
  • offthedeependay
    offthedeependay Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    my kind of work out buddy....carbs before ,protein during and after...yum
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I think it makes more sense to eat before ypu work out. Not right before you work out, but at least an hour before exercising because I agree with not wanting to be active witth a full stomach. It does make sense not to eat after working out because you will just consume all the calories you burned off, if not more

You need to fuel your muscle to prevent muscle breakdown after you've workout....Your body needs to get energy to burn more fat..if not it will take it in your muscles instead. That's why post workout have carbs,protein etc...most of the time (not always)
    I don't say to eat a big meal, but give yourself some energy after.... Just an advice here ;)
  • DawnEH612
    Options
    my kind of work out buddy....carbs before ,protein during and after...yum
    Yeah, I have to eat!
  • cloveraz
    cloveraz Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I can not eat a big meal before working out, because it makes me ill...But, I will consume either a protein bar or some string cheese....Something just to give me that extra pep....Usually, I will eat dinner after my workout.....Eh....But, I'm have been trying to break thru a two month plateau, so, something has to give!!:drinker: :grumble:
  • ManEnMotion
    ManEnMotion Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Lately I've been eating 1 hour before and 30 min after
  • fitash1989
    Options
    I eat after at the moment because I'm not at the gym (I get home around 6 and dinner is made) but once I'm back I'll be having a light snack about 30mins prior to my workout then dinner.
  • DawnEH612
    Options
    Since I workout after work I eat a small meal an hour prior to hitting the gym. Right after my last exercise or cardio workout i have a protein shake within 30 mins. Then I eat again once I get home. On my off days ill do cardio on an empty stomach and protein right after.
    Sound advice
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You should always eat before doing any exercise
    if you exercise on a hungry stomach you gonna lose muscle weight not fat weight

Not true
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I strength train early in the morning so I just have a latte before. It does not impede my performance as long as I have eaten enough the day before. I usually eat a few hours after my workout.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I tend to eat when I'm hungry regardless of exercise timing. If I'm hungry before exercising, I eat because otherwise I'll be thinking about how I'm starving the whole time. If I'm hungry afterwards, then great I'll eat then.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    This is like when you have to pee but you're thirsty! Which to do first!?
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this is true for others, but if I start exercising when I'm a little hungry the hunger goes away until I stop exercising. Also, if I do eat, it's only 200 or so calories of maybe nuts or yogurt. That seems to be ok on my stomach before exercise.

This ^^^
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This is like when you have to pee but you're thirsty! Which to do first!?
    You gotta drink first - because if you drink after you pee, you're replacing the water you just got rid of. :tongue:

(Spawned from the rationale that if you eat after working out, you're replacing the calories you just burned.
  • nathan6878
    nathan6878 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Before, then I let my stomach rest for about half hour before I workout. Reason being I know I am going to burn off what I eat while working out.
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    When I had a trainer he suggested something small like a piece of fruit to feed your metabolism. Then a decent meal afterwards.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Always after. I exercise at 5:30 in the morning and I just could not handle eating that early. I like doing it on an empty stomach better.