Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• bailbondbabs
    Options
    I can't stand that! You have to LIVE this lifestyle!
  • elgray26
    elgray26 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My mother is a Dietician and she is very good at her job. She just recently had a hysterectomy and is not on hormone replacement therapy. This has caused her to gain a good 50 lbs or so. She is overweight, but I would still trust her professional opinion. The company she works for also has her traveling so much that she only gets a good home cooked meal maybe once a week. Therefore, she struggles to find healthy options on the road (not easy).

I completely agree with what you are saying. First impressions are important. Seeing an overweight/chubby dietician or trainer might make me skeptical, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt. If they know their stuff, then who cares? Maybe they have other health problems that make them chubby!
  • MzKameka
    MzKameka Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would have a problem spending any amount of money on someone that is not a walking billboard for their job (when it comes to health & fitness), whether it be male or female. If I'm going to spend my money I'd like to see exactly what you're offering rather than what you're promising.... so to speak, words are wind. Everyone knows how to get "healthy" or "fit" or whatever their goal is, its just the kick in the *kitten* that most people need. However, when I see a chubby personal trainer in the gym I honestly roll my eyes and one side of my brain thinks "way to go" and the other side thinks simutaneously that unless their *kitten* is nicer than mine, there's no way in hell I'd use that trainer... but all the power to them.

Basically, I wouldn't hire a trainer that didn't have the body that I was trying to achieve or something pretty damn close. That said, I'd never hire a GoodLife trainer... for the most part, they're kids in matching attire that don't seem to know what end is up.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i would never use the services of an overweight trainer or nutritionist. there are plenty of in shape ones to choose from who know what they are doing.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    i totally agree with you. like at my gym we have a couple trainers who are chubby. and all the front desk staff are pretty heavy set, which i find weird.

but if the trainer is on their own journey then im not sure. but in my opinion i would not want a trainer if he isnt lean or built [but i dont necessarily want him to be thin] lol if that makes sense
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    As a CPA who files her taxes at literally the last moment possible, I understand the "do as I say, not as I do" mentality but I also make sure that I project an image consistent with my professional level so if I were in a nutritionist or trainer role, I think that I would do everything I could to look the part and instill confidence in my clients.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I had to sit at work yesterday doing my health screening and my "counseling" session with the nurse telling me what to do better. The only issue I had was my bmi was still high.. other than that all of my numbers are as optimal as I can possibly get them.

What she didn't see was me last year 70 lbs heavier and all of the other issues. This nurse by the way, was Very large. She actually started to tell me what to eat in order to lose weight. I looked at her and just smiled and said.. don't worry, I think I've got this under control!
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I would NEVER hire a trainer or nutritionist who is clearly not taking their own advice. It really destroys their credibility in my eyes.
  • bodiva88
    bodiva88 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Nope I agree. To me, if someone is telling me that I need to eat healthier and exercise, etc, they should be doing the same thing. I'm not a "do as I say, not as I do" type person. If I have to do it, so do you!

how do you know their not eating healthy and exercising? it could be a journey for them just as it is for you

This!

Although I always am amused watching "Christina Cooks" because Christina Pirello always looked a bit heavy and her complexion didn't look healthy and glowing, but rather peaked.

The trainer I worked with to get back into better swimming form isn't ripped or razor thin. She's healthy looking. And she runs ultramarathons so she's more than fit. She just isn't cut. I feel comfortable with that.
  • TerrieBNLWECHANGED
    Options
    I'm a fluffy girl so, just being totally honest here:

I am on a journey and it's pretty difficult at times. If I were seeking help from an individual on how to get to where I want to be, I would see someone else with a weight problem and wonder if what they were telling me to do would really help or am I just being yanked around by someone with good intentions.

If it isn't working for them, why would it work for me. Why would I want to do the work and not reap the benefits. I want benefits and I want an example of someone who has practiced the "art" of a balanced nutritional lifestyle. I'm not talking 0% body fat, but clearly not in the "overweight" category. My goal is to have a good ticker and a reduction of organ fats, as well as superficial fats.

That being said, maybe this person (if it's a girl) just had a baby or something?
  • xHelloQuincyx
    xHelloQuincyx Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    an african american man sits on a bus with his 3 children. the children are running around causing chaos. another passenger asked the man to control his children after reaching a breaking point. thinking in their head of stereotypes and comparing the man to themselves and their ability to control their children. the man responds with 'i'm sorry, we just left the hospital where the mother passed on."

I know you said not to 'jump on' this side of the story..... but this really bugs me. You don't know what other peoples problems are or the range of those problems. You don't know what they are going through on a day to day basis. And you most certainly cant jump to any conclusions based on outward appearance. not everyone practices what they preach, but that doesn't make them incompetent in the subject mater. I wonder if anyone really listened to what the lady had to say, or just thought to themselves that the lady must be incompetent because she isnt in shape. I'm just happy that she was confident enough to talk about an increasing epidemic of poor eating habits and health, and get the word out to people who can probably relate to her. I personally wish that I wasn't phased or biased based on appearance-but I am. I would however, never voice or act on my prejudices. In fact, I feel guilty about judging someone- even if their actions don't support my view/ethics.

Right now people are probably looking at my pink hair. how young I look. my ticker picture. my display name. Disregarding my comment based on images and making assumptions about how I live my life. all. without. thinking. Truth be told, my passion is working with small children. yes I have been turned down for jobs based on what tattoos I have or what I look like. But thats their loss, because I'm wonderful at what I do and put my soul into my work. I have made the deans list with a 3.8-4.0 every year I have been in college. I have taken psychology classes, race/ethnicity discrimination classes, and have had to memorize codes of ethical conduct. I have taken courses that have opened my mind to the reasoning behind what parents/ people do- and how to strengthen relationships from this and not act on judgements or bias beliefs. even when its your first instinct to hold that child when it is crying, or to allow a child to feed themselves, or potty train a toddler. every one is different. every family is different. everyone's beliefs about everything is different- NOT wrong and you need to respect that.

and to tell you the truth, Ive seen hundreds of wanna be nutritionists/trainers on this site alone who are not in perfect condition or at their goal. Some still 100+ pounds over weight. Probably prejudged based on outward appearances when they could indeed be much more knowledgeable then some twiggie anorexic trainer. these things don't happen overnight as you already know, and not everyone realizes their passion when they hit their goal weight.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options

- "Hey, you're attractive. I would like to propagate my genetic code with you and fondle your naughty bits..."

On a side note...I am now going to use this quote. I think it could work for me.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm a nutrition science major, and about half of my professors in the discipline are overweight. However, they are incredibly knowledgeable and know their *kitten* cold. I'd trust one of them to tell me what really works that a fit "nutritionist" who just took a quick certification course. The fact is, everyone is different, and what might be working for that super athletic nutritionist of yours might not work for you. It's important for the nutritionist to be well educated so you can work together to find what works for you.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    What if she was obese and has worked her way down to "chubby" ?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    What if she was obese and has worked her way down to "chubby" ?

This is a good point. Actually, that could be more helpful than someone who has been fit all their lives (and perhaps has the time/$ to stay in shape) and has never experienced the tough realities of weight loss.
  • Slack2ShortGo
    Slack2ShortGo Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    First impressions do sway opinions but, if they are "qualified" I'll listen to what they have to say.
  • Hausclegane
    Options
    Personally I'd be less intimidated by someone who can at least understand my plight - but how can someone preach weight loss when they themselves are overweight? this is the reason I myself have passed over apprenticeship opportunities in a gym, because people are not going to want to take you seriously.

it is unfortunate, because at the time i was in the gym 6 days a week and I have all the info, just not the physical "requirement".
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    A first impression might be:"They did a fantastic job despite their appearance and what I assumed they could do."

Judgement: "They don't LOOK like they would be good so I'm going to pass on them..."
    By "first impression," I mean, "first impression."
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    I went to a trainer who was hard and thin and she did body building. I didnt want to look like her - but I want to be thinner and harder than I am. She didnt really take me seriously. She didnt bother to take measurements, apparently she had no belief I would actually change my measurements so why bother and now as I am losing and changing my body comp significantly I am disappointed I dont have those early first measurements. I bet the chubbier trainer would have had more faith in me.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I recently went to a dietician. the first thing I looked to see if they were looking healthy and not overweight. I didn't do it on purpose it was just instinct to. The whole office staff looked fit and healthy, not just thin. First impressions count.