Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• Amberry123
    Amberry123 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am a year into my nutrition course and I always remember one thing that was given as a statistic in my first class:

" over 85% of North America is sufficiently educated enough about nutrition and the benefits of leading a healthy lifestyle to stay within a healthy weight their entire lives. Yet obesity rates are over 60%"

Meaning that people know what they are suppose to do they just don't do it. I think some nutritionist/dietician/trainers fall into this as well. That being said I completely agree that if you are going to be the face of good health you should look the part because as shallow as it is that's what people see first. I am a trained chef and have been doing that for the last 8 years and I am just switching to a degree in nutrition (well trying to merge the 2 professions into something glorious lol). I am not over weight but I am unhealthy. 8 years of working in restaurants, smoking, drinking, eating whatever you can on a 17 hour day made me very unhealthy and when I decided to make this career change that was a big no-no for me. I was in no way comfortable giving people health advice if I wasn't healthy myself.
    My grandpa recently went through cancer treatment and I was with him taking him to his appointments and we had an appointment with a nutritionist as all cancer patients do. We ran into her on the elevator and she is a big lady, like way past chubby. Anyway we walked with her to her office which was just around the other side of the elevators and she got so winded she couldn't string a sentence together and was sweating. Now don't get me wrong this lady was crazy smart and clearly knew what she was talking about, she gave me all the nutrient depletion and the foods I should be making him to replace what he's losing and why, but yea at first glance it kind of bothered me she was so overweight. There could have been many reasons for her being over weight but I think that it's hard for all of us to make healthy rather then go for what's easy, but in a professional sense you should lead by example.
  • jfa002
    jfa002 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    There could be many reasons why a personal trainer is a little or a lot on the heavy side. I plan on being a lifecoach with an emphasis on health and I am not ripped in any way, but working my way there. However, I know that I am very well motivated when I am working with someone. Point is, some people are a reciprocating altruistic type like myself and I want to get healthy through and by getting others healthy; yet, if the trainer is not taking advantage of working out with others or even at all, then I think that is pretty messed up. But of course, don't expect the trainers to workout with every one of their clients or else they will work themselves to injury and/or exhaustion. Get personal with your personal trainer and ask questions like:

What is your diet like?

How do you stay active?

How long do you workout for?

Do you eat anything that is not healthy?

Do you smoke, drink, do drugs?

etc....

As a potential Lifecoach/Social Worker/Personal Trainer/Dietitian/Nutritionist/Chef, I personally believe that we owe it to our clients those life-changing answers to their life-changing questions. Clients feel that they don't know the answers, or else they wouldn't be our clients now would they, so they seek outside of themselves to get the answers. Sometimes our answers are from who we are and that influences our clients. We owe it to our clients to be honest, to be humble, and to "practice what we preach" as best as we can.
  • Deanna149
    Deanna149 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i met my first nutritionalst/dietician over 5 years ago, i honestly had a hard time communicating and being open as she was slightly overweight herself, by the end of the session it came out that she had started out at 350 pounds, had loads of experience and advice, and could relate to the struggles of losing weight, i left with a lot of respect for her as she is going throught the battle herself but chose to share her experience and knowledge, also, a few of the trainers at the local gym are not in perfect shape either, but they relate better and still have the knowledge, lesson for me: was not to judge unless you know their story...there is more than meets the eyes.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Weight is not an indicator of health.

You can be heavier AND in better shape then people who weigh significantly less than you do.

Thinness and hardness are not an accurate measure of how healthy/active a person is.

I think it is important for nutritionists and personal trainers to be healthy and active, of course. But I've seen amazing fitness instructors who have "chubby" bodies, and I've seen hardbodied and skinny personal trainers who are completely useless at their job.

The problem is one of perception of health, and the way the (American) media portrays health.
    /rant

I would have to agree. I have seen some "chubby" bodies compete very well in marathons and triathlons over some of their skinnier (perceived as healthier and more fit) competitors.

Thin doesn't equal healthy. But yes there will be that bias out there. It is the same as the proverbial mechanic with the car that won't start or the carpenter who's home is in the most need of work. They may be the best for others but they often deny themselves.
  • jennieth
    jennieth Posts: 105
    Options
    We have a trainer like that at our gym. Every time I go in to my trainer and look at her and wonder why anyone would hire her. I understand the whole she know know her stuff but not apply to herself. The point of a trainer is to teach, inspire and push you. If the trainer does not inspire themselves how can they inspire you?
  • jfa002
    jfa002 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    We have a trainer like that at our gym. Every time I go in to my trainer and look at her and wonder why anyone would hire her. I understand the whole she know know her stuff but not apply to herself. The point of a trainer is to teach, inspire and push you. If the trainer does not inspire themselves how can they inspire you?

Agreed:wink:
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Let's get right to the important stuff..."mammal", "you're", "your". Muah!

THIS!

Of course, there are always MAMILS - Middle-Aged Men In Lycra...but that's another post ;-)
  • Foxfiregddss
    Foxfiregddss Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who is a trainer and nutritionalist, and she is also chubby at the moment. She is going through her own journey of weight loss, and due to her journey, she has realized she would like to help everyone else complete their journey as well. I am skinnier than her, but she just puts me to shame with all the workouts she does and how well she eats all the time!

I know I never had to work at being on the lighter side, and have always had a normal BMI, but I am not as healthy as I know I can be. My friend has inspired me to get off my butt to become healthier through her rigourous journey. I just keep it in mind that if SHE can do it, then so can I.

However, I am not sure if my friend is the norm or an exception. I would gladly hire anyone like my friend to be my trainer any day, but if they were not like her and just preached and did not practice it themselves, no way!
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    an african american man sits on a bus with his 3 children. the children are running around causing chaos. another passenger asked the man to control his children after reaching a breaking point. thinking in their head of stereotypes and comparing the man to themselves and their ability to control their children. the man responds with 'i'm sorry, we just left the hospital where the mother passed on."
    At the risk and annoyance of engaging an irrelevant hypothetical... Are you saying that anyone that has had a traumatic experience in their life has the right to inconvenience everyone else in their path pursuant "saddy-sad-time?"

They don't.

Life sucks.

Get over it.

Next.
    I know you said not to 'jump on' this side of the story..... but this really bugs me.
    I'm sorry. My dog pooped on the sidewalk and ran away this morning. And by your logic, it's ok for me to stuff and do things now. (True story, actually)
    You don't know what other peoples problems are or the range of those problems.
    Nor do I care (not to sound overly cold). We're discussing business. It's not "let's hold hands, cry and watch Titanic and group-hug time." It's an enterprise.
    You don't know what they are going through on a day to day basis.
    Yeah, still don't care... see above.
    And you most certainly cant jump to any conclusions based on outward appearance.
    Really? I'm a 6'3, 270 pound, meathead combatives expert... that also happens to be a computer-nerd-lawyer for a living. But please, educate me on "outward appearances." [Insert picture of Willy Wonka here]
    not everyone practices what they preach, but that doesn't make them incompetent in the subject mater.
    So you know, our legal system greatly disagrees with you on this premise. As does every successful business enterprise that has ever existed, ever.
    I wonder if anyone really listened to what the lady had to say, or just thought to themselves that the lady must be incompetent because she isnt in shape. I'm just happy that she was confident enough to talk about an increasing epidemic of poor eating habits and health, and get the word out to people who can probably relate to her. I personally wish that I wasn't phased or biased based on appearance-but I am. I would however, never voice or act on my prejudices. In fact, I feel guilty about judging someone- even if their actions don't support my view/ethics.
    I have no idea at whom, nor what, that entire soliloquy was directed.
    Right now people are probably looking at my pink hair. how young I look. my ticker picture. my display name. Disregarding my comment based on images and making assumptions about how I live my life. all. without. thinking.
    Actually I was thinking, "Why is she using her period-key like a machine gun?"
    Truth be told, my passion is working with small children. yes I have been turned down for jobs based on what tattoos I have or what I look like. But thats their loss, because I'm wonderful at what I do and put my soul into my work.
    I'll come back to the Fruedian component to all of this in just a second. To be clear... you're "baffled" that daycare centers and schools didn't hire you because you have "tattoos" and "pink hair." Is it possible that the parents, aka "patrons" wouldn't want their young children exposed to "tattoos" and "pink hair" for 6-to-8 hour stretches of time every day?

The nerve.

This actually proves my point, perfectly. You may be wonderful with kids. However, you've chosen to physically alter your body in ways that most people would find "odd." And in the childcare business, "odd" doesn't sell well. It's basic economics.

Example: I hate suits. Haaaaate them. Yet, I adorn one every time I step foot in a courtroom. Why? Because it's good business. And, a local court rule for which I could be held in contempt of court for violating... but still. ;)
    I have made the deans list with a 3.8-4.0 every year I have been in college.
    Neat. Find a job that appreciates good grades, pink hair and tattoos. Problem solved.
    I have taken psychology classes, race/ethnicity discrimination classes, and have had to memorize codes of ethical conduct.
    To be clear, "pink hair" and "tattoos" does not qualify as "a race."
    I have taken courses that have opened my mind to the reasoning behind what parents/ people do- and how to strengthen relationships from this and not act on judgements or bias beliefs. even when its your first instinct to hold that child when it is crying, or to allow a child to feed themselves, or potty train a toddler. every one is different. every family is different. everyone's beliefs about everything is different- NOT wrong and you need to respect that.
    Did you read the part that said "Most grown-ups think pink hair is weird?"
    and to tell you the truth, Ive seen hundreds of wanna be nutritionists/trainers on this site alone who are not in perfect condition or at their goal. Some still 100+ pounds over weight. Probably prejudged based on outward appearances when they could indeed be much more knowledgeable then some twiggie anorexic trainer.
    Um... "twiggie anorexic trainer." Did... did you just judge someone based on their appearance? You did. It was rhetorical.
    (Did I mention I'm REALLY good at crushing arguments?)
    these things don't happen overnight as you already know, and not everyone realizes their passion when they hit their goal weight.
    Nifty.

I'm sorry you spent a great deal of time and money attaining a degree that you've subsequently negated by making poor personal choices.

Next.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Not to get all Darwinian here, but let's be honest about the biological imperative (to procreate with attractive members of the species). We can all say that we want to get in shape to 'feel healthier' but there are probably a lot more of us who also want to 'look good' and get an appreciative look from a male member of the species. It reminds us that we haven't been put out to pasture yet. A peacock doesn't go for the neurotic, mottley girl who picks out her feathers; he goes for the one with rich plumage and shiny feathers. We are programmed no differently, only we have big brains that can temper that instinctive first impression with, "well, she's got a great personality/knowledge"---fill in the blank).

I'd like a trainer to have both the knowledge and physical fitness (not skinny or perfect, just in shape) because I, as a female peacock want my feathers to be shiny and smooth just like hers :)
    Smart chicks. Almost as awesome as bacon.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options

- "Hey, you're attractive. I would like to propagate my genetic code with you and fondle your naughty bits..."

On a side note...I am now going to use this quote. I think it could work for me.
    Copyright © 2012 GorillaEsq All Rights Reserved.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    My mother is a Dietician and she is very good at her job. She just recently had a hysterectomy and is not on hormone replacement therapy. This has caused her to gain a good 50 lbs or so. She is overweight, but I would still trust her professional opinion. The company she works for also has her traveling so much that she only gets a good home cooked meal maybe once a week. Therefore, she struggles to find healthy options on the road (not easy).

I completely agree with what you are saying. First impressions are important. Seeing an overweight/chubby dietician or trainer might make me skeptical, but I would give them the benefit of the doubt. If they know their stuff, then who cares? Maybe they have other health problems that make them chubby!

That's really unfortunate on a bunch of levels. Hormonal/metabolic problems aren't super common so I think they don't factor into most people's thinking. When I was younger I spent a lot of time with a close family friend. She was an older lady who always made an effort to follow her doctor's advice. She had a weight problem despite eating, from what I could see maybe 800 cals/day. What I saw was probably higher than her norm because she would shop when I was coming over or we would eat out.

Personally I'd approach a chubby trainer or nutritionist with a bit of skepticism, especially if they are young, but try to not be prematurely dismissive. I think a pro who manages health issue with diet would be an ideal expert for anyone even if they don't look perfect. Managing health problems forces you to have so much more self-awareness and insight about the body and diet.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Let's get right to the important stuff..."mammal", "you're", "your". Muah!

THIS!

Of course, there are always MAMILS - Middle-Aged Men In Lycra...but that's another post ;-)
    GAH!!! I know. I fixed it! I fixed it! Before she even posted, I swear! It was bad on my part. *hangs head in shame*
  • lauren0985
    lauren0985 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    iT BUGS ME! How am I going to trust that the person can help me if they can't even help themself? Bodies aren't books, and this girl does judge by the cover!
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    iT BUGS ME! How am I going to trust that the person can help me if they can't even help themself? Bodies aren't books, and this girl does judge by the cover!
    And your cover says "Batmilf." Which rules, btw.
  • irishbunnylover
    irishbunnylover Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I agree. I wouldn't hire a personal trainer, nutritionist, beautician, fashion consultant, etc. unless I wanted to look like them. They are a walking example of their work.
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    So I am overweight and am a personal trainer/GX instructor/Yoga instructor. I had a baby 7 months ago so that's not my excuse. I workout harder and longer than 95% of my participants. The thing is I am working on my goals and to be honest with you, my "heavier" participants see that it is a struggle even for someone who makes a living doing this. But I am making changes and they see the effort. You don't have to be "skinny" to be fit. I have met (and did body compositions on) many, many "skinny, fat people" and on many who would appear to be "overweight" but are at very healthy body compositions.

So don't pass judgement. Just because someone is 110 pounds DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE HEALTHY!!! And just because someone is 160 pounds DOES NOT MEAN THAT THEY ARE UNFIT!!!
  • RNTanya
    RNTanya Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not to get all Darwinian here, but let's be honest about the biological imperative (to procreate with attractive members of the species). We can all say that we want to get in shape to 'feel healthier' but there are probably a lot more of us who also want to 'look good' and get an appreciative look from a male member of the species. It reminds us that we haven't been put out to pasture yet. A peacock doesn't go for the neurotic, mottley girl who picks out her feathers; he goes for the one with rich plumage and shiny feathers. We are programmed no differently, only we have big brains that can temper that instinctive first impression with, "well, she's got a great personality/knowledge"---fill in the blank).

I'd like a trainer to have both the knowledge and physical fitness (not skinny or perfect, just in shape) because I, as a female peacock want my feathers to be shiny and smooth just like hers :)
    Smart chicks. Almost as awesome as bacon.

Mmmm....bacon...and beef. Nature's bounty.
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    I was trying to count the number of times I saw the word Journey in this topic but I lost track.

Be good to yourself :drinker:
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    My General Practitioner DR. is 6'5" & 380 lbs LOL :laugh: