hurricane sandy

Options
ninabaz
ninabaz Posts: 75 Member
How is everyone planning on riding out this storm?

Replies

• ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Bathtub is full of water, every big pot I own is full of water, pulled all the outdoor furniture into the garage, Kerosene heater is prepped and bought 15 gal of Kerosene, dining room table is covered in candles, weather radio is out, neighbors have been checked on, baked some corn bread muffins and banana bread comfort foods, freezing zip lock bags of water to fill up the freezer, premade a few dinners to reheat on the grill, washed all the laundry, and keeping all the phones on the charger until the lights go out.. (which the power company said will take up to and over a week to turn back on) All the schools are closed.. business are closed or will be closing within the next couple hours.

South East PA
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    bought some candles and a few bottles of water. I haven't done much though. I tend to think that it's not going to be a big deal just like all those other hurricanes that I've experienced in life haven't been a big deal for me. I could be proven wrong though. I live in Manhattan. Just sitting here listening to the wind now.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm in Upstate NY...I have candles and I brought any outdoor furniture inside. I have my cat carrier nearby, and the cat and dog leashes. I have water jugs and bottled water. I'm going to make some meals tonight just in case. I haven't really done much though. I hope everyone stays safe<3
  • dan09554
    dan09554 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Beer fridge is stocked........Yup, that's it

Philadelphia
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    bought some candles and a few bottles of water. I haven't done much though. I tend to think that it's not going to be a big deal just like all those other hurricanes that I've experienced in life haven't been a big deal for me. I could be proven wrong though. I live in Manhattan. Just sitting here listening to the wind now.

Yup I pretty much feel the same way over here in brooklyn. I bought some groceries only because all the stores will be closed and I'll get hungry. I don't get the people buying all the bread still. Who wants to eat a bunch of dry bread lol. People can go over a month without food anyway.
  • randysbombshellgirl
    randysbombshellgirl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Wind is crazy now waiting to hear if we have to evacuate. Have tons of ice candles and batteries in case the power goes out. Good luck to all in Sandy's path...be safe!
    Kim in coastal Rhode Island
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    We're all ready. Stocked up and everything that wasn't nailed down is put away.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Day 1: cook and eat everything in the freezer.
    Day 2: cook and eat everything in the fridge.
    Day 3-4: Cook dried food and pastas.
    Day 5: Padlock myself into a soft padded room because by then I should be completely out of beer and comic books.
  • EmilyOfTheSun
    EmilyOfTheSun Posts: 1,548 Member
    Options
    I'm stocked up on diet cranberry and vodka. I'm all set :drinker:

Hope everyone stays safe!!!!
  • healthymom76
    healthymom76 Posts: 99 Member
    Options

I heard they were evacuating Manhattan.?
  • LeslieFulp
    LeslieFulp Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    We are ready we bought water, extra food, and have the weather radio and flashlights. Took everything out of the years and cleaned the gutters yesterday. Everyone be safe as it is going to be bad.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    one word: GENERATOR :wink:

In Northwest NJ....

Be safe everyone!
  • bet3120
    bet3120 Posts: 125
    Options
    Sandy was passing by near to my island Dominican Republic, was one week without any kind of sun just a lot a rain and windy, so please be careful everyone.
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Saw pictures of Long Island on the news at lunch. It was a MESS. And Sandy isn't really here yet!!!! Firghtening! Water on the streets was thigh deep..inside all the houses there....:noway:
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    NNJ outside NYC
    all furniture outside stowed grill covered and tied down
    all garbage and recycling cans put away
    all heavy batteries charged all portable pump batteries charged
    Inverters set out
    everything up off basemet floor at least 3 feet
    non perishable food in all dishes washed all laundry done bath tub full for toilet flushing
    flashlites out phones charged
    now just put up my feet and wait to see what happens :smile:
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

I heard they were evacuating Manhattan.?

They are only evacuating people who are in "zone A" which are people close to the coast. I'm half a block from zone C which they are not planning to evacuate. I'm not in a zone myself though.

I heard that a lot of people who are being evacuated are ignoring it and staying put. I don't know if I'd have the guts to do that, but sort of thinking that those of them who are on high floors will be fine.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am stocked with water, beef jerky, veggie chips and a flashlight. I am sure there will be some flooding and high winds, but being near the coast that is pretty standard. We have Nor'easters that are much worse than this.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/dsjohndrow/view/sandy-the-storm-439899
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Charged my phone, laptop and ipod, bought tons of water and snacks and have some flashlights and candles ready to go :)
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I baked a bunch of chicken today and could possibly use the grill tomorrow for the ground beef and turkey if I have to if the power goes out. Just have to avoid the cookie dough in the fridge. I'm in southeastern PA and they just cancelled school for tomorrow already. So far, though, our area has been pretty tame.
    Stay safe, all!
  • 1968LisaG
    1968LisaG Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Praying that it won't be so bad in Maine and praying for no power outages. Fortunately my work closed at noon today and is closed tomorrow.