hurricane sandy

Options

Replies

• Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I live in England so i wont be affected however i believe alot of people may get killed by this hurricane. Its only a level 1 hurricane though so i dunno why alot of fuss is being made. ^i^

Best of luck

why post stupid things like this? what could your thought process POSSIBLY be that leads you to say "people will get killed. i don't know what the fuss is all about"?

Dont try to twist what i said, the key word was 'May' i did not say will. Some people just dont stay safe and will ignore the weather warnings and there the people who will suffer the most.

point is, do your research before you make posts like that. this is a dangerous, dangerous storm.

I've watched the live hurricane sandy updates and yes it is dangerous. But i hope that the American people will succeed through this challenging event. And do not try to twist what i say and look out for keywords in my sentences.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

I've watched the live hurricane sandy updates and yes it is dangerous. But i hope that the American people will succeed through this challenging event. And do not try to twist what i say and look out for keywords in my sentences.

fine, then i'll allow you to explain yourself. why do you think we shouldn't make such a fuss?
  • Sojaided34
    Options
    I live in Ontario, Canada. Not worried. We're just getting a bit of rain and some wind. And it's cold. Sorry for those that are in the path of the storm. Keep safe guys.
  • nilrad
    nilrad Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Ready Sandy ,Bring it it you must!Got every tub,and bottle filled with H2O.Batteries in lanterns ,candles and Oil ready to light up the place!Chicken in the crock,made some stir-fry to reheat on grill if necessary!Daughter is baking snacks for the others as the all watch movies !Some good family time going on here today!Praying all will be safe and no tragic loss of life .Be kind Sandy!
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Options
    The reason is the american government will sort the situation out, your priminister has advised the american people to take action and the danger zones are gonna be evacuated. Although i am starting to see your point it will be bad for families on low income if they cannot get to work and alot of homes maybe destroyed.
  • Nimadi486
    Nimadi486 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm in upstate NY (Albany)...phone is charged, porch furniture is inside...I did buy some water, nuts, and batteries...and wine! I've got plenty of books, magazines, and board games...I am pretty sure work is closed tomorrow...the rest of my family is in Long Island and my brother and his wife are in Maryland...should be much worse for them. Stay safe everyone!
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Just praying that everyone in MFP-land can stay safe! I'm in WI, but they are even saying that on Lake Michigan we are going to have 14-18ft waves! I will go watch from a safe distance...
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    THEY SHUT DOWN THE DUNKIN BY MY APARTMENT. And the T! How am I supposed to get my Dunkin fix?! This is my idea of tragedy.
    Otherwise all it well here. Just very windy and rainy but with all the trains shut down and people being warned not to drive and everything being closed everyone seems to be staying inside.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    i love big weather events. these are the only times i miss living on the east coast. it would be fun to experience.
  • prairiedawg2014
    Options
    Keeping you all in my prayers. be safe!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The reason is the american government will sort the situation out, your priminister has advised the american people to take action and the danger zones are gonna be evacuated. Although i am starting to see your point it will be bad for families on low income if they cannot get to work and alot of homes maybe destroyed.
    We don't have a prime minister.

You make no sense.
  • neciejones
    Options
    I am in NC, and we did pretty decent here this time. Praying for all those in the path
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    1. Generator prepped and ready to go (we have 2 sump pumps in the finished basement, which has flooded before, even though we live on a hill; and well water, so generator is a must!). It is not hooked into the house yet, but my resourceful hubby has the stuff he needs to make that happen (along with a lot of advice from electrician friends). Worst case, we can run extension cords and hook in the essentials, like sump pumps, well pump, fridge and freezer).
    2. Lots of gasoline on hand.
    3. Bathtub filled with water for flushing in case we have problems with the generator.
    4. Probably need to do something about deck furniture - at least lay it on its side.
    5. Doing some laundry and running dishwasher, etc.

Apparently there is a good chance for some long power outages, so we will be helping some of our generator-less neighbors, I'm sure. We all have well water on this street, so, no electricity, no water.

Be careful about running the generator! You should do so until after the storm. You can kill yourself with the fumes inside the house. This sort of thing happens down here in Florida. Please do be careful!
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I'm in the UK.....thinking of you all and hoping you and yours all stay safe. :heart: :smile: x
  • cakelady69
    Options
    In south eastern PA here. Everything is ready for the storm at my house. Generator is ready to go (got a whole house one, so no problems there). Propane, flashlights, extra gas. We should be okay. Hoping everyone is safe.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Options
    We don't have a prime minister.

You make no sense.

Lol sorry i mean President . Anyway im not gonna comment on this topic anymore as i feel it will get heated and i dont wanna be disrespectful to anyone. This is just my opinion and what i say is not fact and by any means i do not wish to disrespect anyone. If anyone wants to pm me they can.
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I live in England so i wont be affected however i believe alot of people may get killed by this hurricane. Its only a level 1 hurricane though so i dunno why alot of fuss is being made. ^i^

Best of luck

Basically, here's the problem - it may be a level one but if you're on the coast, a level one storm has enough power to cause some major flooding. That area of the country doesn't usually experience this sort of storm so basically, that means people are not normally prepared. Category 1 does not mean nonlethal. It just is a rating. Storms have been known to go up easily from a 1 to a 2 so you still need to be prepared. The biggest problem is the lack of electricity. You'd be surprised how even a week without electricity can cause chaos in a city. At this time of the year, it's pretty chilly so you need to be sure you're warm.

Here's a helpful link that describes potential damage by the storms at different categories. It's NOAA and they do a good job of describing what to expect.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutsshws.php
  • rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I lived in FL my whole life, experience tropical storms, hurricanes, and whatnot yearly. I have some food in the fridge, food in the freezer, and gas in my car. It's a category one.. Some flooding, loss of electric, and down trees. I'm more pissed that my flight got cancelled because I've driven through worse. Not worried honestly.
  • dumbbanana
    Options
    There are about three large tree branches in my yard, 5 foot swells and the water is reaching the road already....and this is only the beginning of the storm for us. Worst is yet to come. Still have power and cable/internet though yay!
  • monicalosesweight
    Options
    I just remembered. If you have your electronics charged up - turn them off! Your cellphones will slowly discharge if you leave them on. Basically, if you want the charge to last, you want to reserve the power for emergencies in case you find yourself needing to call out. Ironically, land lines don't always work. We had a lightning strike last year that took out the phone companies box and had no land line to call out and your cell could become your emergency line.

I thought I should mention it to everyone.

Monica

P.S. Ebook readers only last so long so hopefully, you have a bunch of books to read because once it goes black...you'd better have board games. :) Of course, if that's the case, you probably can't read this at that point. Grin.