hurricane sandy

Options

Replies

• rachelfaith92
    rachelfaith92 Posts: 202 Member
    Options

Sigh. I thought we were passed this. Not once did I make fun of anyone body, and if anyone felt that I did do that I apologized for how it may have come off.

i'm over it. :wink:

And why yes I do appreciate your hospitality, good sir.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options

Thanks. I'm a desk grunt so no field work for me but I have friends who will be out there and I really pray for their safety. Even the guys working 16 hour shifts here to keep our lights on or get them back on ASAP. During that terrible Derecho storm in July, my friend worked 2 weeks straight, not a day off, 16 hour shifts. That is dedication so I am always so upset when people complain about the utility company not getting their power back on fast enough and then complaining about rates going up. How do you think we pay those people who literally work night and day to put our lights back on? grrrrrr ok rant over.

Prayers go out to everyone! Stay safe!

I live in Texas, but grew up in MD. I was in MD during that Derecho storm this summer, and we lost power for a few crazy days. It was crazy, because it was chaotic-- no gasoline at gas stations that had electricity, no electricity at gas stations that had gas. No food stores open that had food, trees across most of the roads, limited travel in our area. Water restrictions because the storm took out the water processing plant. THANK YOUR FRIEND FOR ME, because the power crews were our heroes during that time.

My parents and tons of my friends now have to go through another crazy storm, their power is now out, and they were told to expect it to be out for a week. They took precautions, I just hope it's enough. I think it might end up being crazy in part because of how massively large this storm system is. I think back to some hurricanes and it isn't always the category but the size of the storm regarding recovery from the storm system.
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    1. Generator prepped and ready to go (we have 2 sump pumps in the finished basement, which has flooded before, even though we live on a hill; and well water, so generator is a must!). It is not hooked into the house yet, but my resourceful hubby has the stuff he needs to make that happen (along with a lot of advice from electrician friends). Worst case, we can run extension cords and hook in the essentials, like sump pumps, well pump, fridge and freezer).
    2. Lots of gasoline on hand.
    3. Bathtub filled with water for flushing in case we have problems with the generator.
    4. Probably need to do something about deck furniture - at least lay it on its side.
    5. Doing some laundry and running dishwasher, etc.

Apparently there is a good chance for some long power outages, so we will be helping some of our generator-less neighbors, I'm sure. We all have well water on this street, so, no electricity, no water.

Be careful about running the generator! You should do so until after the storm. You can kill yourself with the fumes inside the house. This sort of thing happens down here in Florida. Please do be careful!

Thanks - the generator is out in the garage and we will have the door open, and we have a carbon monoxide detector in the house.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

haha any time. :)

i'm going stir crazy right now! i'm so boooooored!

I live in Washington Heights in Manhattan which is basically the highest and safest point in all Manhattan. Super windy, but that's it.
  • rachelfaith92
    Options
    :

haha any time. :)

i'm going stir crazy right now! i'm so boooooored!

I live in Washington Heights in Manhattan which is basically the highest and safest point in all Manhattan. Super windy, but that's it.

I'm also pretty bored. I have a laptop to charge the phone and a car charger so this is basically the only means of entertainment. I'm in the poconos uphill verses the valley part so I'm above water. Glad to hear you're okay. I should have cooked all the bacon before the power went out. :grumble:
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just checking on updates online about the hurricane. Hope everyones ok :P
  • CoachReddy
    Options

I'm also pretty bored. I have a laptop to charge the phone and a car charger so this is basically the only means of entertainment. I'm in the poconos uphill verses the valley part so I'm above water. Glad to hear you're okay. I should have cooked all the bacon before the power went out. :grumble:

haha crazy - my power's still on. this is the second hurricane in a row that slammed everyone else BUT new york city. we're gonna start getting cocky and stupid.

well... even MORE cocky and stupid than we already are. :P

pretty sure i'm about to start drinking... even though I don't really do that anymore. lol
  • rachelfaith92
    Options

haha crazy - my power's still on. this is the second hurricane in a row that slammed everyone else BUT new york city. we're gonna start getting cocky and stupid.

pretty sure i'm about to start drinking... even though I don't really do that anymore. lol

You're lucky you have power. I was just going to start dinner when the power went. So unfortunately since I don't have a way to cook anything I will be low on calories today :P debating about going to WaWa..
  • CoachReddy
    Options

You're lucky you have power. I was just going to start dinner when the power went. So unfortunately since I don't have a way to cook anything I will be low on calories today :P debating about going to WaWa..

meh i say do it. i'm SUPER strict about my diet but today i've been eating like **** and i don't care. :P

our lights just flickered... may join you soon.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Our power has been on and off a couple of times so far, not for more than a couple hours. Hoping that's going to be the worst of it. Otherwise we're set to spend hours playing board games.
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Wlll the american government put taxes up to help pay for damages that this hurricane causes?
  • lour441
    lour441 Posts: 543 Member
    Options

jf43q.jpg

I bet you are panicking now!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Wlll the american government put taxes up to help pay for damages that this hurricane causes?

lol no. this is why FEMA exists
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Come to Southern California and hang out with me!!! I went to the beach today!!
  • lanapoo
    lanapoo Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm on Long Island. Luckily, I still have power. I went outside to survey the damage really quick and there was so many debris flying about, slamming into other cars. There are tons of fallen trees, roads are all closed. I'm not in a flood zone, but know of few people who are and they're stuck. Plus the high tide is just coming in now. There will be fatalities, I bet. :/ Stay safe.
  • hillary2424
    Options
    Fortunately here in South Jersey we were lucky to not lose power yet, but UNFORTUNATELY that means we've been cooking and baking and therefore eating all day. I've eaten way too many calories! But my gym is closed due to the hurricane, so off I go to do a Jillian Michaels DVD before the power goes out!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    Fortunately here in South Jersey we were lucky to not lose power yet, but UNFORTUNATELY that means we've been cooking and baking and therefore eating all day. I've eaten way too many calories! But my gym is closed due to the hurricane, so off I go to do a Jillian Michaels DVD before the power goes out!

Rock that DVD! I did some P90X today and loved it. The perks of your gym being in your apartment. :)
  • sarymerejo
    sarymerejo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Watching the news. Have plenty of food and water. I live in zone B in Manhattan so we should be ok.
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEfc4ea7Jw&feature=youtu.be

ConEd electrical plant just exploded. Fast forward to 3:00 in to see it happen. Half the city without power. This is just unbelievable. No words.