hurricane sandy

Options

Replies

• czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I'm in Northern Virginia....so far just a lot of rain and wind, but supposedly we're in for 70-80 mph winds this evening. Schools were closed today and I'm hoping to have tomorrow off as well ;-) (I'm a teacher.)

I am in the eastern panhandle of West Virginia - not too far from northern Virginia and Frederick County, Md. Lots of rain so far and wind is picking up. Jefferson County schools and Frederick County MD schools are closed tomorrow. So hopefully you will be too.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    bought some candles and a few bottles of water. I haven't done much though. I tend to think that it's not going to be a big deal just like all those other hurricanes that I've experienced in life haven't been a big deal for me. I could be proven wrong though. I live in Manhattan. Just sitting here listening to the wind now.

I heard they were evacuating Manhattan.?

They are only evacuating people who are in "zone A" which are people close to the coast. I'm half a block from zone C which they are not planning to evacuate. I'm not in a zone myself though.

I heard that a lot of people who are being evacuated are ignoring it and staying put. I don't know if I'd have the guts to do that, but sort of thinking that those of them who are on high floors will be fine.

They'd still lose power and have no water. You can't get the water up that high in some building without the power on. I hope they prepared for at least that much. A lot of people here think its going to be a joke actually.

well, if i don't have water due to being on the 10th floor, i probably could use the toilet in the basement of my building.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    It's starting to hit us in NH now...just had the wind rip my screen off my window at work and it went flying somewhere...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    By living more than 1,000 miles away from its landfall! :-)

Seriously, everyone in its path, I hope you're prepared and stay safe! Most of my family and a lot of my friends live between NYC, Mass and all over New York state, so I'm quite worried.
  • nikinyx6
    nikinyx6 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I'm safe here in Canada, but It's been hectic at work.

I'm at a call center for a chain of hotels in NY and NJ. I think it's utterly insane that these hotels have jacked prices up threefold to take advantage...sickening...
  • rml_16
    Options
    I heard that a lot of people who are being evacuated are ignoring it and staying put. I don't know if I'd have the guts to do that, but sort of thinking that those of them who are on high floors will be fine.

If the storm is anywhere near as bad as expected and they stay, if there are injuries or any other emergencies, they will be on their own. Emergency personnel will NOT be sent to help them in an evac zone if they choose to stay. A lot of people over the years have learned that the hard way.
  • ninabaz
    ninabaz Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Beer fridge is stocked........Yup, that's it

Philadelphia

Love!!
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

If the storm is anywhere near as bad as expected and they stay, if there are injuries or any other emergencies, they will be on their own. Emergency personnel will NOT be sent to help them in an evac zone if they choose to stay. A lot of people over the years have learned that the hard way.

I'm not sure if that's true. The mayor seemed to say that they will send emergency personnel and that those who refuse to leave are both putting their lives at risk as well as the lives of the emergency personnel.
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options
    power's already going out in NJ/NY/CT ... not looking forward to candle time. :P
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I live in England so i wont be affected however i believe alot of people may get killed by this hurricane. Its only a level 1 hurricane though so i dunno why alot of fuss is being made. ^i^

Best of luck
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    We're just getting a lot of wind. Possible snow tonight. So we've got wood for the wood stove and large battery lanterns for light if the power goes out. Our kids are suppose to fly back into PA on Thursday from Israel praying for safety for them and everyone else. They went to the Holy Land with a large group. They are 21 & 23 years old. I hope everyone stays safe!!!
  • CoachReddy
    Options
    I live in England so i wont be affected however i believe alot of people may get killed by this hurricane. Its only a level 1 hurricane though so i dunno why alot of fuss is being made. ^i^

Best of luck

why post stupid things like this? what could your thought process POSSIBLY be that leads you to say "people will get killed. i don't know what the fuss is all about"?
  • vypeters
    vypeters Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Got non-perishable food, water, batteries for flashlight, candles.

Got silk long undies and lots of blankets.

Got my Mac charged up. Even though the internet is already down at home (I'm at work now) I can use it to charge my cell phone.

Got my kindle and tablet charged up, one for reading the other for playing games. The kindle will outlast the tablet and I loaded it up with a bunch of extra books.
  • rml_16
    Options

Best of luck
    A level 1 hurricane that's huge and about to collide with two other major storm systems and make landfall in a place that gets a hurricane about once a century and that has tall buildings meant to withstand snow but not high winds.

And a bunch of people who don't think it's a big deal so they aren't preparing for possibly not having heat or water or access to food for a week or more.
  • jaimeteague
    jaimeteague Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm in England, so I won't be affected, but to everyone who is having to deal with this - stay safe x
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm not sure if that's true. The mayor seemed to say that they will send emergency personnel and that those who refuse to leave are both putting their lives at risk as well as the lives of the emergency personnel.
    That's quite unusual. During a state of emergency, if people choose to stay in areas of mandatory evacuation, protocol is usually to NOT send emergency personnel until after the storm threat has passed and it's safe to go in. If they're sending them before then, that's very unusual and the mayor is an idiot. Maybe some of those people would leave if he didn't say that?
  • Spiritwarrior3000
    Spiritwarrior3000 Posts: 322 Member
    Options

Best of luck

why post stupid things like this? what could your thought process POSSIBLY be that leads you to say "people will get killed. i don't know what the fuss is all about"?

Dont try to twist what i said, the key word was 'May' i did not say will. Some people just dont stay safe and will ignore the weather warnings and there the people who will suffer the most.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Best of luck

Dont try to twist what i said, the key word was 'May' i did not say will. Some people just dont stay safe and will ignore the weather warnings and there the people who will suffer the most.

point is, do your research before you make posts like that. this is a dangerous, dangerous storm.
  • rml_16
    Options

Best of luck

Nobody twisted anything. If a storm is bad enough to cause death, then how can someone make too much of a fuss about it??? This isn't a light sprinkle on a Sunday afternoon.
  • vander7679
    vander7679 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Tub is full, dishes are washed, plenty of chicken is cooked and ready for salads, batteries/candles/flashlights placed throughout the house and heat is on and warming up the house so that when we loose power I don't freeze and school is already closed for tomorrow...power is flashing and winds are at at 35 mph right now...looks like it is going to hit us dead on. Bring it on!