Naturally petite ballerina, can't lose extra weight...

Options

Replies

• Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    According to most of your diary entries, you tend to hang around the 1300-1600 area. Considering you're burning about 600 calories a day....holy cow.

I know your profession demands a lot out of you, but trust me, you're gorgeous.
  • saraann4
    saraann4 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'd focus more on getting tone. Pick up some weights.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Yes, toning, it would change your shape rather than your body composition, plus it might be beneficial to your dancing to have a little extra strength.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Try eating less sugar (yes, even less fruit) and more protein. As a ballerina, you should be able to gain muscle mass if you eat the right things (I was ripped when I was doing 6 hours of ballet a week). Once you build up your lean muscle mass, you will be able to cut some body fat down if you are still unhappy with your shape without risking the PLETHORA of health risks associated with being underweight. There are more immediate health risks to being underweight than overweight, just so you know.
  • daryabella
    Options
    I am 5' 5" and 113 pounds...and the doctor told me no more losing weight!! I am 4 pounds from being under weight....I would think you must be under at 105

I was underweight when I was younger and had to drink ensure, coconut waters, etc. to get rid of a heart murmur I had. However, I completely filled out once I hit puberty and the doctor has always said I'm completely healthy since.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    you lost me at the part about vegan diet consisting of mostly salmon and tuna.

anyway, you need to address your body composition; not "lose extra weight"
  • daryabella
    Options
    According to most of your diary entries, you tend to hang around the 1300-1600 area. Considering you're burning about 600 calories a day....holy cow.

I know your profession demands a lot out of you, but trust me, you're gorgeous.

Haha thank you! :smile:
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I am 5' 5" and 113 pounds...and the doctor told me no more losing weight!! I am 4 pounds from being under weight....I would think you must be under at 105
    I was underweight when I was younger and had to drink ensure, coconut waters, etc. to get rid of a heart murmur I had. However, I completely filled out once I hit puberty and the doctor has always said I'm completely healthy since.
    I would wager that no competent doctor would sign off on you losing more weight. But then again, what do they know, riiiiight?!
  • daryabella
    Options

Sorry if that came across the wrong way... I meant when I do eat seafood it's mostly just salmon and tuna... not really any other types of seafood.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Sorry if that came across the wrong way... I meant when I do eat seafood it's mostly just salmon and tuna... not really any other types of seafood.

I think it was more the fact that vegans don't eat seafood period (or eggs).

To echo others, I doubt that there is weight you need to lose, but from looking through your diary, somethings you may want to consider - you are consistantly low on protein. As someone who eats a predominently vegetarian diet, it is something you need to focus on as well as getting complete proteins. You also tend to lack on vegetables. While I am not a "carbs are evil" person, you do tend to run high on carbs.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    meatloaf

LET ME SLEEP ON IT.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    meatloaf

LET ME SLEEP ON IT.

Well played!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I'd say eat more calories considering your activity level, up your protein intake since you eat "most vegan", and do some weight training. :) best of luck!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Excuse me you're already a twig in that picture if anything you should gain a bit of muscle

While I agree with the fact that the OP could do with gaining muscle, the insult was totally unnecessary.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Excuse me you're already a twig in that picture if anything you should gain a bit of muscle

While I agree with the fact that the OP could do with gaining muscle, the insult was totally unnecessary.

Agreed.

Also, OP, I second (or fifth or something) the suggestion to start working on reducing your body fat instead of just dropping weight. You're already very petite, so any program you follow, you'll need to follow it more diligently than someone with a lot more body fat to lose, and you should expect to see slower progress as well. Just be patient and stick with it. Set some weekly and monthly non-scale goals, and go forth and conquer!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    You need a reality check...if you calculate your BMI based on your weight and height you are currently underweight. Normal weight range for someone your height is 117 to 146 pounds.

HatersGonnaHatePanda.jpg
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    your body type might not be able to do it. i'd say lift heavy but dancers don't roll like that ....
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I agree with the weights.

Also.. this sounds kind of odd. But when I was younger I was interested in an equally physical perfection demanding career, and it kind of messed up my body image up a bit.
    So just know you are stunning and I am sure you work very hard.
    Add some lifting and you will get where you want to be.

Make sure to eat a balanced diet, don't underdo the calories.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm a contemporary dancer and also very petite and small framed. I also lift weights in a way that does not cause over training or injury, but increases muscle and improves my dancing. As a dancer you will be able to understand the best ways to work with your body and muscles. You should eat 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight. I use the book "The New Rules of Lifting for Life". I am 5'2" and weigh 101, I try to never eat below 1800, but usually 1900 and often 2100 or 2200 or more on some days (2500). If I am hungry I eat because my body needs it. If I feel tired, I eat. I need to eat regularly.

Also, it is a myth that dancers do not lift weights. The fitness industry has used "the dancer body" in a way that dancers never intended. Dancers are artists and athletes and trained in anatomy and physiology and kinesiology and all of that. They are not part of the fitness industry.
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post and give you some support for your predicament. I'm not a dancer, but I was sort of a part of that scene for awhile several years ago. So I know where are coming from.

The two things I see from your diary are 1) OMG YOU NEED MORE PROTEIN. Sooooooo much!!! However, being vegan, I don't have a lot of suggestions for you. Otherwise I'd be suggesting eggs and meat...I guess eat more seafood. But you really need it. It'll help keep your muscles healthy AND it will fill you up. 2) Step away from the carbs!! 200+ grams/day is waaaaaaaaay high for a dancer at your level. There is no way your carbs should be over 100g/day, and I am surprised that with your experience, you don't already know this.

If going off the vegan diet is an possible option for you, I would really recommend it, because it's the carbs that are killing you. You're young enough that your body can kind of cope with it, but in about 5 years or so, it's really going to come back to bite you if you don't get them lower.