Naturally petite ballerina, can't lose extra weight...

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Her goal weight is 98 lbs...Did no one else see this?

However, I do agree that the "twig" comment was ridiculous.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

I actually did miss that.
  • MCsAngel2
    MCsAngel2 Posts: 49 Member
    Options

That sounds accurate, if she wants to be a professional dancer. They get weighed, you know. All the outrage in the world isn't going to change the way professional ballet operates.....
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

Doesn't mean she really intends to go that low on her weight. MFP makes you choose a goal weight when you sign up. Not everyone's goal weight is something they actually intend to achieve. Some people are here to just track calories and fitness goals.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    meatloaf

LET ME SLEEP ON IT.

Well played!
    I feel so left out lol
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Excuse me you're already a twig in that picture if anything you should gain a bit of muscle

While I agree with the fact that the OP could do with gaining muscle, the insult was totally unnecessary.

Yup. Never ok to insult someone based on their body.

I AM concerned about how low your goal is and how restricted your eating is. There are many red flags here. You are worth more than this.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    meatloaf

LET ME SLEEP ON IT.

Well played!
    I feel so left out lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPMMitJDYg
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

That sounds accurate, if she wants to be a professional dancer. They get weighed, you know. All the outrage in the world isn't going to change the way professional ballet operates.....
    *blinks*

Right.
  • MCsAngel2
    Options

*blinks*

Right.

Have you ever been to the ballet? What, you think those women all weigh 125 lbs?

Right.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options

*blinks*

Right.

Have you ever been to the ballet? What, you think those women all weigh 125 lbs?

Right.

I think she is just saying that the OP should give up on her dreams. That's all.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Ok I am going to give you a bit of a brutal answer. I was a dancer too. As long as you are healthy you will never be thin enough for the industry or the stage. Everyone that was remotely successful was anorexic or borderline. I developed some severely disordered eating and never realized it because it was normal for everyone around me.
    I doubt you need to lift weights. You probably are more muscle than anything.
    At some point you may have to make a choice between your career path and being healthy.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

*blinks*

Right.

Right.

I think she is just saying that the OP should give up on her dreams. That's all.
    Totally.

Not pointing out the fact that 98 lbs is an unhealthy weight at her height, regardless of her profession.

Oh, and my childhood friend dances with the ABT....she's the OPs height and weighs 127 lbs, and she's easily one of the leanest girls in the troupe.

Try again.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    Ok I am going to give you a bit of a brutal answer. I was a dancer too. As long as you are healthy you will never be thin enough for the industry or the stage. Everyone that was remotely successful was anorexic or borderline. I developed some severely disordered eating and never realized it because it was normal for everyone around me.
    I doubt you need to lift weights. You probably are more muscle than anything.
    At some point you may have to make a choice between your career path and being healthy.
    And this was pretty much what I was saying.

I get that this is what the industry demands nine times out of ten, but is someones health less important than a career that has a very short lifespan? I mean I get it, hopes and dreams and all that jazz. Everyone has them. But is anything honestly worth risking long term health problems?

Methinks not.
  • Verity1111
    Options

The issue with that depends
    http://www.mybodygallery.com/photos-6199-body-shape.htm#img

That person doesn't look scary thin to me and she is 90lbs and 5'4"
  • Verity1111
    Options
    meatloaf

LET ME SLEEP ON IT.

Well played!
    I feel so left out lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmPMMitJDYg
    OH! I am fat. I instantly thought of the food, not the band meatloaf. lmso thank you
  • MCsAngel2
    Options
    [

Oh, and my childhood friend dances with the ABT....she's the OPs height and weighs 127 lbs, and she's easily one of the leanest girls in the troupe.

Try again.

Oh, there is NO way I believe that. Seriously. Try again.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    [

Try again.

Oh, there is NO way I believe that. Seriously. Try again.
    My world will continue turning whether you do or don't.

And I'll continue to think that risking your health for a dream that in all likelihood will not come to fruition (not being nasty, just being real) is ridiculous.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I noticed the skeleton skull in her ticker.

Anyway, disordered eating unfortunately consumes a lot of girls in the dancing world. Hopefully any girl interested in pursuing a career in it has enough social support outside of their troupe so they can avoid the pressure to engage in such dangerous behavior.

Like others have said, focus more on maintaining or even increasing lean body mass which will help prevent serious fractures and knee injuries while eating enough. Do not worry about scale weight.
  • BritneysStuntDouble
    BritneysStuntDouble Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    you lost me at the part about vegan diet consisting of mostly salmon and tuna.

anyway, you need to address your body composition; not "lose extra weight"
    Sorry if that came across the wrong way... I meant when I do eat seafood it's mostly just salmon and tuna... not really any other types of seafood.
    I think it was more the fact that vegans don't eat seafood period (or eggs).
    If the salmon and tuna didn't eat any other animals, then they are vegans, making it okay for a vegan to eat them.
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'4 and 140 and all of a sudden feel like a cow. lol.

honestly, you ARE gorgeous. but it's as simple as this....

when you dance, that is ENOUGH cardio for you.
    if you go to the gym, LIFT HEAVY!! no cardio!!
    and EAT.... i would say 1700-1900 calories to support your activity and muscle gain

*be aware when you up your calories you WILL gain weight...it is WATER!! it's impossible to gain weight without over eating past your TDEE (which im guessing yours is around 2500)*