Naturally petite ballerina, can't lose extra weight...

Options

Replies

• funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    2) Step away from the carbs!! 200+ grams/day is waaaaaaaaay high for a dancer at your level. There is no way your carbs should be over 100g/day, and I am surprised that with your experience, you don't already know this.

....What the hell is wrong with you?
  • As a former dancer myself, I understand. Pay no attention to the negativity. We all understand our window of opportunity to make it happen is small. I would not reduce your calorie intake. You need it for fuel and your intake seems about right. And with the exception of extended rehearsals (I mean final prep work) most dance is both anaerobic and aerobic alternating. You'll want to spend a bit more time in true sustained aerobic activities and be sure you are using food as a fuel for your body. If you are trying to correct a "spot", strength training is the usual method but for a dancer you'll want to be careful to avoid the bulk. Even the slightest amount can affect your flexibility. I've not tried Pilates but I have heard it's amazing for what you are trying to accomplish. Hang in there...I'm retired about 20 years and now I actually miss the blisters.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    Her goal weight is 98 lbs...Did no one else see this?

However, I do agree that the "twig" comment was ridiculous.

That sounds accurate, if she wants to be a professional dancer. They get weighed, you know. All the outrage in the world isn't going to change the way professional ballet operates.....

She should shave her hair and maybe lose a limb too.

Honestly OP, "WHY" do you want to lose some more weight? Looks like your bones are sticking out of your neck.

ETA: There is no such thing as "small frame" it's people who are "naturally" leaner. People's "Frames" are the same. The determining factor is muscle mass, and with no fat, we all look the same if we're not trained.

go back and read what she wrote man.

she asked if she should drop her cals, or work on it through fitness. she is young and needs help trying to figure out the best way to be the best ballerina she can.

she wants to lower her body fat. not necessarily loose weight.

commenting on her appearance is out of line. shes a ballerina. they are slim.

why the FKK do so many of you have to bash people like this. shes not a 1200 diet queen or a cabbage soup detox junkie asking for people to affirm their position.

she asked an honest question that she needed an answer to, she needs good information to make the right choice, not personal attacks. give her a break.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

That sounds accurate, if she wants to be a professional dancer. They get weighed, you know. All the outrage in the world isn't going to change the way professional ballet operates.....

Honestly OP, "WHY" do you want to lose some more weight? Looks like your bones are sticking out of your neck.

ETA: There is no such thing as "small frame" it's people who are "naturally" leaner. People's "Frames" are the same. The determining factor is muscle mass, and with no fat, we all look the same if we're not trained.

I am about 80 pounds overweight, but my neck bones stick out, too. (Yes, my clavicle bone is visible but I am overweight!) You can't go by that, that is ridiculous. And there is a difference between people's frames. Are you serious?

OP - You are beautiful. Include weights, but don't try to lose more weight.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Someone said a small amount of weight training will decrease flexibility and that is not true. Strong muscles are more flexible and less likely to tear, pull and snap. Weight training along with dancing will increase and maintain flexibility. It is not easy to "bulk", especially when you are not eating a calorie surplus. Weights help to keep the whole body firm, solid, defined, flexible, healthy, resilient and strong.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options

I am about 80 pounds overweight, but my neck bones stick out, too. (Yes, my clavicle bone is visible but I am overweight!) You can't go by that, that is ridiculous. And there is a difference between people's frames. Are you serious?

OP - You are beautiful. Include weights, but don't try to lose more weight.

I don't see yours. So you're saying if people where the same height and stripped completely of ALL fat... we'd look different?

You don't see mine because of the angle of the one picture that I have posted. My hair isn't pulled back, too.

And, yes, I am saying that you took two people SAME height and had just their bones left, they would look different. They would still look like human bones, but they would be different sizes. Everyone has different bone mass.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Someone said a small amount of weight training will decrease flexibility and that is not true. Strong muscles are more flexible and less likely to tear, pull and snap. Weight training along with dancing will increase and maintain flexibility. It is not easy to "bulk", especially when you are not eating a calorie surplus. Weights help to keep the whole body firm, solid, defined, flexible, healthy, resilient and strong.
    I agree. I can't recall the study but it compared flexibility of various Olympic athletes. You know which sport featured the most flexible Olympic athletes? Power lifters. The second were gymnasts.
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just have a high bodyfat percentage. I have a small frame, I'm shorter than you and I was underweight at 105. So, go into weight training instead to "tone." All my pudge is gone because of weight training. So stop losing weight, I promise that's not what you need to do to get the look you're going for. You can also eat around 1800 calories since you're active, and the days you are more active.... you can actually go even higher. Hope I helped some.

This^^
    I have a small frame too. It's not weight, but instead it's fat, you don't need to cut calories, that will force your body to hold on to that weight, instead eat at maintenance, which should be about 1800 at least.
  • daryabella
    Options
    Ok I am going to give you a bit of a brutal answer. I was a dancer too. As long as you are healthy you will never be thin enough for the industry or the stage. Everyone that was remotely successful was anorexic or borderline. I developed some severely disordered eating and never realized it because it was normal for everyone around me.
    I doubt you need to lift weights. You probably are more muscle than anything.
    At some point you may have to make a choice between your career path and being healthy.

Sigh
  • hollyNhollywood
    hollyNhollywood Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    5'4": 105 pounds... do you even menstruate? And is that your clavicle in your picture? Because you shouldn't be able to see that. You need to gain weight.

Clavicle aka 'collar bone'? As this is commonly showing on women who are at normal weights, not just underweight women.

To add- mine is once again re-emerging and I'm 5'3" and 146 lbs and by BMI standards I am still overweight.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    IwXBj_PZV0-OOnczEZ_k3A2.gif

LOL.. this... def this.
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Ok I am going to give you a bit of a brutal answer. I was a dancer too. As long as you are healthy you will never be thin enough for the industry or the stage. Everyone that was remotely successful was anorexic or borderline. I developed some severely disordered eating and never realized it because it was normal for everyone around me.
    I doubt you need to lift weights. You probably are more muscle than anything.
    At some point you may have to make a choice between your career path and being healthy.

Sigh
    What you love is making you hate yourself, that is what I see here. And it makes me want to cry.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you just have a high bodyfat percentage. I have a small frame, I'm shorter than you and I was underweight at 105. So, go into weight training instead to "tone." All my pudge is gone because of weight training. So stop losing weight, I promise that's not what you need to do to get the look you're going for. You can also eat around 1800 calories since you're active, and the days you are more active.... you can actually go even higher. Hope I helped some.

This too!
  • daryabella
    Options
    Once again, "WHY" do you want to lose weight?

It's irrelevant but so that I can further chances of actually achieving a career in dance and reaching my goals.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! So I'm 5'4 and 105 lbs... I know, I know, that sounds small but I have a naturally petite frame. I am not by any means fat but I do have a little extra that I'd like to get rid of. I'm a pre-professional ballerina so I'm pretty active/fit but I still like to go to the gym and tone/burn calories when I can. I usually eat around 1500-1600 calories a day and I have a mainly vegan diet (I still eat seafood occasionally, mostly just tuna cans and salmon). I need food to keep me going through class but nothing has been working to shed weight no matter how well I eat. Do you think lowering my daily calorie intake would help? I know anything below 1200 is unsafe and with the amount of calories I'm burning, I want to stay healthy but would it be okay for me to eat around 1200-1300? Or do I need to just tone more? HELP?!?

I'm 5'4 .. petite frame and generally weigh around 105 lbs as well .. I'm 46 now .. and have pretty much always weighed that and I too was a classical ballet dancer for the first half of my life! I put on a few extra lbs recently and am working to get it off myself.

I think you need to ignore the scale as you may only be gaining muscle weight (which is not bad). I suggest taking measurements of waist, hips, thighs .. and obviously you can tell by your clothing if things are tight.

We are still in the healthy range based on our height and body frame. I would not adjust you caloric intake. I floated between 105-110 lbs without any difference in the way clothes fit .. just how my body worked. You may be retaining a bit more water than usual due to exerting your muscles more recently.

I'd relax about any possible weight gain and keep an eye on it. If really necessary .. I'd reduce the calories by no more than 100 for your level of activity. ;-)
  • daryabella
    Options
    What you love is making you hate yourself, that is what I see here. And it makes me want to cry.

I don't hate myself. I love myself enough to take care of my body and be healthy. I have a decent amount of confidence but I think a lot of people are going to be a little bit insecure about themselves.
    However, I see where you're coming from and what I love is definitely a harsh industry to be in. It's no picnic that's for sure.
  • daryabella
    Options
    I'm 5'4 .. petite frame and generally weigh around 105 lbs as well .. I'm 46 now .. and have pretty much always weighed that and I too was a classical ballet dancer for the first half of my life! I put on a few extra lbs recently and am working to get it off myself.

I think you need to ignore the scale as you may only be gaining muscle weight (which is not bad). I suggest taking measurements of waist, hips, thighs .. and obviously you can tell by your clothing if things are tight.

We are still in the healthy range based on our height and body frame. I would not adjust you caloric intake. I floated between 105-110 lbs without any difference in the way clothes fit .. just how my body worked. You may be retaining a bit more water than usual due to exerting your muscles more recently.

I'd relax about any possible weight gain and keep an eye on it. If really necessary .. I'd reduce the calories by no more than 100 for your level of activity. ;-)

Thank you for the advice!
  • rawhidenadz
    rawhidenadz Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    5'4": 105 pounds... do you even menstruate? And is that your clavicle in your picture? Because you shouldn't be able to see that. You need to gain weight.

Clavicle aka 'collar bone'? As this is commonly showing on women who are at normal weights, not just underweight women.

To add- mine is once again re-emerging and I'm 5'3" and 146 lbs and by BMI standards I am still overweight.

Yep. My collar bones are extremely prominent and I'm normal weight, 5'7, 155 pounds. We all have different body types. Seriously, those are some incredibly rude and unhelpful comments you're making.

To the OP: I agree with the posts saying you should weight train and eat at maintenance, and definitely up your protein. You don't need to lose weight. It won't help you get the look you're going for, trust me.
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

I am 5'4 .. and weighed 105 lbs until this past Aug./Sept .. and also why I'm here to lose the few little pounds I put on..

and yes .. at 46 .. I STILL menstruate weighing only 105 lbs. (well .. I'm 115 right now .. working on losing those 5 or 10 lbs) I'm sorry that many of you don't understand the meaning of a true small and petite frame.. my ring size is a 4 .. and I never looked underweight .. I wasn't boney .. my spine, collar and hips bones don't jut out.. I'm actually a bit squishy .. call it skinny fat.

I'm so petite .. hats (baseball caps) don't fit me even at the smallest setting ... I buy kids' hats. Some people have thicker and more sturdy frames at our height .. some of us just aren't built that way naturally.
  • daryabella
    Options
    I am assuming you get judged by how good you are, not your weight... I know what is part of it from an aesthetic perspective, but your weight seems fine... maybe if you post a full body picture and if we do see you have some extra bodyfat, then we'd better understand your situation.

Okay but I don't think you understand that for a dancer extra bodyfat is totally different than what a normal person would consider extra bodyfat. I'm not asking for your approval, I am asking for your advice.