Naturally petite ballerina, can't lose extra weight...

Options

Replies

• BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Excuse me you're already a twig in that picture if anything you should gain a bit of muscle

While I agree with the fact that the OP could do with gaining muscle, the insult was totally unnecessary.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Her goal weight is 98 lbs...Did no one else see this?

However, I do agree that the "twig" comment was ridiculous.

That sounds accurate, if she wants to be a professional dancer. They get weighed, you know. All the outrage in the world isn't going to change the way professional ballet operates.....

She should shave her hair and maybe lose a limb too.

Honestly OP, "WHY" do you want to lose some more weight? Looks like your bones are sticking out of your neck.

ETA: There is no such thing as "small frame" it's people who are "naturally" leaner. People's "Frames" are the same. The determining factor is muscle mass, and with no fat, we all look the same if we're not trained.

I am about 80 pounds overweight, but my neck bones stick out, too. (Yes, my clavicle bone is visible but I am overweight!) You can't go by that, that is ridiculous. And there is a difference between people's frames. Are you serious?

OP - You are beautiful. Include weights, but don't try to lose more weight.

I don't see yours. So you're saying if people where the same height and stripped completely of ALL fat... we'd look different?

You don't see mine because of the angle of the one picture that I have posted. My hair isn't pulled back, too.

And, yes, I am saying that you took two people SAME height and had just their bones left, they would look different. They would still look like human bones, but they would be different sizes. Everyone has different bone mass.

Bones might be "longer" but more "mass' no. Humans have a an average bone density of 1500 kg m^-3. We're talking about body composition. The difference from muscle and fat, bone isn't involved in this equation. If humans where stripped of fat and are untrained they would look pretty much the same, a difference of about 5lbs of muscle mass.

myth-i-am-just-big-boned.jpg

yes, they have an AVERAGE bone density of 1500 kg m^-3 (which I am taking your word on that amount because I don't know the number) but still AVERAGE means they range in density. They would look PRETTY MUCH the same, but not the same.

You could take two people, same height, same weight, same body fat % and one could wear a size 8 and one could wear a size 10. Their ring sizes could be different, their shoe sizes could be different. Bones don't just get longer, they get wider, too, and one could have a higher density bone, weighing more or less. Therefore, bone size IS different for everyone. There is such a thing of being bigger boned than others, or smaller boned. Some have bigger hip bones, some have broader shoulders, or whatever it may be. Saying we are all the exact same is really naive. You can't look at one persons leg bone and determine how tall they were. I have a long torso, short legs. My inseam is the same as my friend who is 5'2 and I am 5'11.
  • RainxPain
    RainxPain Posts: 152
    Options
    Eating more or eating less can break a plateau. Try eating less to make the scale move then work your way back up to 1500-1600.
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    2) Step away from the carbs!! 200+ grams/day is waaaaaaaaay high for a dancer at your level. There is no way your carbs should be over 100g/day, and I am surprised that with your experience, you don't already know this.

....What the hell is wrong with you?

^ You need carbs for energy.. or else she will pass out on stage?!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    so there's a pro ballerina who goes to my gym and i see her in the weight room. she does pretty the same compound lifts that i do (deadlifts, squats, split lunges, pull ups, bench press) but of course she looks way more graceful doing them :laugh:

i agree with the others who say you might not need to lose weight, maybe just work on your body recomposition. plus if you do that you should eat closer to your maintenance if not at your maintenance
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Her goal weight is 98 lbs...Did no one else see this?

However, I do agree that the "twig" comment was ridiculous.

That sounds accurate, if she wants to be a professional dancer. They get weighed, you know. All the outrage in the world isn't going to change the way professional ballet operates.....

She should shave her hair and maybe lose a limb too.

Honestly OP, "WHY" do you want to lose some more weight? Looks like your bones are sticking out of your neck.

ETA: There is no such thing as "small frame" it's people who are "naturally" leaner. People's "Frames" are the same. The determining factor is muscle mass, and with no fat, we all look the same if we're not trained.

go back and read what she wrote man.

she asked if she should drop her cals, or work on it through fitness. she is young and needs help trying to figure out the best way to be the best ballerina she can.

she wants to lower her body fat. not necessarily loose weight.

commenting on her appearance is out of line. shes a ballerina. they are slim.

why the FKK do so many of you have to bash people like this. shes not a 1200 diet queen or a cabbage soup detox junkie asking for people to affirm their position.

she asked an honest question that she needed an answer to, she needs good information to make the right choice, not personal attacks. give her a break.

I.LOVE.YOU.
  • spozzybear
    spozzybear Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would eat a ****load more protein and double your water intake if you want to tone and build more muscle.
    No more weight-loss please.
  • daryabella
    Options
    Looking at your default picture it looks like you're low on bodyfat by any standards. As I said we really can't see your body, but from what we see you seem very thin.

I don't think you see what myself and other people are telling you. Weight doesn't mean much. Look at this girl

tara-reid-anorexic.preview.jpg

She is kind of thin, if she "LOST MORE WEIGHT" she might end up looking like this.
    anorexic.jpg

No matter how much 'weight" they lose, they will never develop a physique like this

Michelle_Troll-A195-low.jpg

The anorexic girl "weigh" the less, but looks the worse out of all of them. You shouldn't focus on "weight" you should focus on body composition. Adding some muscle mass, it will give more beauty to your physique. I know ballet is an eloquent form of dancing. Anyone who appreciates beauty will perfer to see the first girl or the last girl dance, no one would want to see the 2nd one.

I'm not anorexic nor will I ever develop anorexia if I keep up my current eating habits therefore I don't need you to tell me that the anorexic girl does not look as good because I don't look like that. I am healthy and even though I'm skinny I appear to be healthy as well. I'm very conscious about keeping myself healthy.
    With all of that aside, I understand what you mean and I am definitely going to look into developing muscle.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I understand that a dancer must look good to an audience. But, I watch a fair amount of ballet and I think some of the Balanchine-ultra skinny standard is changing. They don't have that same obsession in modern -- they use muscular dancers and even heavy dancers -- and some of that aesthetic standard is rubbing off on ballet.
    I see a number of curvy ballerinas, and they are professionals, with a position in a company.
  • daryabella
    Options

go back and read what she wrote man.

she asked if she should drop her cals, or work on it through fitness. she is young and needs help trying to figure out the best way to be the best ballerina she can.

she wants to lower her body fat. not necessarily loose weight.

commenting on her appearance is out of line. shes a ballerina. they are slim.

why the FKK do so many of you have to bash people like this. shes not a 1200 diet queen or a cabbage soup detox junkie asking for people to affirm their position.

she asked an honest question that she needed an answer to, she needs good information to make the right choice, not personal attacks. give her a break.
    I.LOVE.YOU.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Thank you.
  • screwedfrombirth
    screwedfrombirth Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When it comes to a little bit of extra weight at your size, I doubt you are talking about actual pounds so much as "flab" that's hanging around in places that you don't want it. For most people, that means belly fat, so if you don't mind my assumption, I'll guess that's what you mean also.

What's really been helping me to lose that type of weight has been wheat gluten and starch elimination. Of course, that works for me because my extra flab is all belly fat/love handles. And those foods seem to go right to the belly.

To fix this, rather than focusing on just being vegan, personalize your diet with items within that lifestyle that have the least impact on your blood sugar. Obviously, that means eating fewer starchy vegetables like potatoes and carrot, as well as limiting direct (bread, pasta) and indirect (wheat byproducts like soy sauce) wheat consumption. Complement your diet with core toning exercises that target this area.

Of course, if you are carrying the extra weight (or flab) in your arms or legs, the best thing you can do is weight training. Hope this helps.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    actually, my goal body is from a ballerina who looks very close to what i looked like when i was at my goal weight

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe_MKN6zSRxmghI9732fH1E9sk5aSZfG5c_B8dvEMVxokCiSPO
  • daryabella
    Options
    I understand that a dancer must look good to an audience. But, I watch a fair amount of ballet and I think some of the Balanchine-ultra skinny standard is changing. They don't have that same obsession in modern -- they use muscular dancers and even heavy dancers -- and some of that aesthetic standard is rubbing off on ballet.
    I see a number of curvy ballerinas, and they are professionals, with a position in a company.

I've noticed that as well especially in ABT and more American companies. I'm just trying to be the best I can be and be able to utilize my full potential.
    My personal preference leans towards slimmer girls, I just think it gives a better line and look. I have also seen girls not get parts because there was a more aesthetically pleasing girl with the same technical abilities. It all adds up.
  • daryabella
    Options
    When it comes to a little bit of extra weight at your size, I doubt you are talking about actual pounds so much as "flab" that's hanging around in places that you don't want it. For most people, that means belly fat, so if you don't mind my assumption, I'll guess that's what you mean also.

What's really been helping me to lose that type of weight has been wheat gluten and starch elimination. Of course, that works for me because my extra flab is all belly fat/love handles. And those foods seem to go right to the belly.

To fix this, rather than focusing on just being vegan, personalize your diet with items within that lifestyle that have the least impact on your blood sugar. Obviously, that means eating fewer starchy vegetables like potatoes and carrot, as well as limiting direct (bread, pasta) and indirect (wheat byproducts like soy sauce) wheat consumption. Complement your diet with core toning exercises that target this area.

Of course, if you are carrying the extra weight (or flab) in your arms or legs, the best thing you can do is weight training. Hope this helps.

Yeah, most of my extra "flab" is stomach, thighs, and butt. I guess that would make sense but being vegan, it's pretty hard to stay away from starchy vegetables and carbs. Ugh. Thanks for the advice though, I'll keep it in mind... this really helped.
  • allisonrozsa
    allisonrozsa Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Is it possible that with the significant number of calories you are burning dancing all day is creating too much of a deficit and so 1600 calories isn't enough? All of my ballerina friends would eat like pigs because of the amount they were dancing. Talk to a nutritionist.
  • daryabella
    Options
    actually, my goal body is from a ballerina who looks very close to what i looked like when i was at my goal weight

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTe_MKN6zSRxmghI9732fH1E9sk5aSZfG5c_B8dvEMVxokCiSPO

Is that Misty Copeland? Love her.
    If it isn't well that girl is still beautiful.
  • daryabella
    Options
    Is it possible that with the significant number of calories you are burning dancing all day is creating too much of a deficit and so 1600 calories isn't enough? All of my ballerina friends would eat like pigs because of the amount they were dancing. Talk to a nutritionist.

All of my friends eat so much too! I'm sitting here thinking they just have super fast metabolisms.
    I didn't even think about that... I'll look into it.
  • meshashesha2012
    Options
    yep that's misty :smile:

i might be able to have the body but i'll never have that toe point :laugh:
  • screwedfrombirth
    Options
    I've learned that apples can be your best friend (if you like them). Also, you don't have to cut the starchy veggies out completely, but maybe it would be helpful to test out some kind of starch-to-green ratio -- for every one serving of carrot, eat three or four servings of broccoli. For example, whenever I make a salad, I always use the baby greens and I generally use a lot of them. It leaves less space for toppings and gives me a good balance of green vegetables.

I understand that in a vegan diet, gluten is a regular staple because its protein rich. But if you can find substitutes that have a lower impact on your blood sugar, that's what is really going to make a difference in targeting fat in the mid section. Generally I would recommend raw nuts like almonds and walnuts as well as dry roasted (unsalted) peanuts as a replacement. If you buy them prepackaged, make sure that the only ingredients are the nuts themselves.

I know you mentioned that you still eat some seafood, perhaps you can use salmon filets and ahi tuna as your primary protein source.
  • screwedfrombirth
    Options
    I never said you where unhealthy. I am just saying "weighing less" isn't always the right answer.

I don't think she is worried about her actual weight or dropping a few pounds, in fact she has stated so (several times, by now). She just wants to tighten up some areas that feel or look flabby.