what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of bashing of people over fifty in this thread. We don't automatically get dementia after a certain age. But we do acquire a little perspective and some of our self-imortance drops away. Hopefully.

Surely everyone is entitled to access to the gym to work out the best way we can. If people are walking on treadmills perhaps they're rehabbing an injury or struggling to improve their health after a heart attack. There is a heavy woman who comes to my gym with a white cane. Every day I watch people stop their workouts to help her with the settings on the cardio machines, and that inspires me - both that she is there and the kindness people offer her.

None of us knows what happened last week to that person who is annoying us today. The great thing about tolerance is that it benefits us even more than it benefits strangers - we spend a lot less time being annoyed about things we wont' remember next week.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    the groups of teenagers that hover over equipment and text on their phones!!!! seriously??? check your phone at the door and have a real workout or GTFO :mad:....there was a group of 4 of them the other night standing together , one sitting on a machine, all typing away on thier phones probably to each other what a joke
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    agreeing with everyone who doesn't put dumbbells or weights from the barbell back where they belong, as well as people who are on their phones constantly on the cardio machines. If you can text/facebook/whatever and laugh and giggle and not pay attention to what you're doing, then you aren't really working out. Get off the machine so those of us who want to get a good workout in actually can.
  • jessicaoliver79
    jessicaoliver79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    The arrogant guy that comes in to use the free weights.. on the side of the room with no fans.. yet walks over first thing and turns the fans on the other side of the room where the cardio machines are way down.. Really?? Grrr!
  • VeganZombie13
    Options
    Screw what others think, just do you get pumped and forget the grumpy ladies lol
  • HotMummyMission
    HotMummyMission Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Waiting for a treadmill an there's girls just taking a stroll on it playing on there phones! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sluts haha
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    Options
    Went to a new gym the other day, and none of the hand weights were in order. I had to keep searching when I went up in weight.
  • SMBL2
    SMBL2 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    People who don't wipe their sweat off of machines. Blech!
  • maxonehiphop
    maxonehiphop Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    When people that set up fans to blow on them while they exercise (cardio like treadmill) but it also blows on me and then they start trying to sneak farts out.

Mostly it just bothers me because I know the people further down might think it's me. It's not. I hold them in.
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I love these threads, it always makes me think about how great my gym is. Although thanks for reminding me about the New Year's flood, that's always annoying. :angry:

I see more weird things than annoying ones - the other day there was a woman on the stair climber a couple down from me and she started... um, moaning. Not like in a "panting with effort" way, but in a "that scene from When Harry Met Sally" way. It was distracting, to say the least. And yeah, I did spend some time staring at her - a guy at my other gym had a heart attack, so I'm kind of jumpy about people making weird noises. But she seemed fine (?) and didn't fall over or anything so then I just stared because it was so very weird.

(Probably she is posting a thread somewhere about being annoyed by this woman who wouldn't stop staring at her while she was working on the stair climber. Perspective!)
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    This doesn't make me see red, but it really annoys me for some reason.

When I'm running on a row of entirely empty treadmills, and someone comes and gets on the one RIGHT next to me. I always want to stop running, look at them, and say, "REALLY?!" Not to mention the fact that it always seems to be a woman who wreaks of smoke or entirely too much perfume.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I set my towel and ipod with headphones on an elliptical and ran to the bathroom. There was no one else in that area. When I came out, a woman was on THAT elliptical, with all the others empty, USING MY IPOD AND HEADPHONES and had the towel around her neck. I walked up and motioned for her to her, she pulled one headphone out and I said "ummmm, can I get my stuff out of your way?" (I was trying to be polite!) She says "Oh, is this yours? I thought it came with the machine."

REALLY? What gym do you go to that gives out iPods, preloaded with purchased music, with each elliptical? I went home and disinfected the earphones!
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Well the one thing that makes me really irritated and has become somewhat of a trend at my gym lately is when people come in dressed in regular street clothes *WITH FOOD* (last time it was ice cream and a bag of chips I believe) and sit on the weight machines to watch tv. :noway:

First off there is a pretty hard to miss sign declaring NO FOOD on the door to get in. and secondly work out or GTFO!!! It is a gym not your f**king living room!!! Last Sunday it was some couple who came in to watch the Walking Dead. ._. okay it is a good show and all but really -_- (my apartment building has a gym)

And then of course when you ask em to move they get all pissy at you. oh sorry for interrupting your show!! :mad:

OHHHHHHHH and another fun trend is when people decide to bring their young children to the gym. :grumble: Again right by that cute little NO FOOD sign there is also a "no persons under 18 yo is permitted" Yet still there are times when people bring in like 4 of their kids who are like 5-9 years old and they're just everywhere!! That isn't safe! >_<

This has been happening to me too at my new place! (apartment complex gym and all)

Only I wouldn't mind "Walking Dead" better then "Hoarders" or whatever football game is playing... cranked up loud too... but there's a gal that brings her 5-year-old son in... she didn't know how to change the weights on the machine or work the treadmill... so admist the little kid running around trying to play on/with the equipment the mother kept asking for help with all the machines (normally I wouldn't mind doing) while her little boy was playing in there like a playground...

I remember when we lived in a complex with a gym, a bunch of 13-year-old kids were trying to ride on their skateboards ON the treadmill!!!
  • MelAb8709
    MelAb8709 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    My #1 pet peeve has always been people who walk with the treadmill at a big ole' incline and then hang on for dear life. I always wonder why the trainers or staff don't tell them that's dangerous and pointless ... if you have to hold on, you're going too fast/have it up too high/not doing yourself any favors.

#2 peeve is those who take a leisurely stroll on the treadmill while reading a book or magazine ... why not just stay home and march in place? They're taking up valuable treadmill real estate for someone who actually wants to work up a sweat!
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    This doesn't make me see red, but it really annoys me for some reason.

When I'm running on a row of entirely empty treadmills, and someone comes and gets on the one RIGHT next to me. I always want to stop running, look at them, and say, "REALLY?!" Not to mention the fact that it always seems to be a woman who wreaks of smoke or entirely too much perfume.

Gross. I hate that. To me, that is the same thing as someone using the stall right next to yours when the entire bathroom is empty. Foul.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I set my towel and ipod with headphones on an elliptical and ran to the bathroom. There was no one else in that area. When I came out, a woman was on THAT elliptical, with all the others empty, USING MY IPOD AND HEADPHONES and had the towel around her neck. I walked up and motioned for her to her, she pulled one headphone out and I said "ummmm, can I get my stuff out of your way?" (I was trying to be polite!) She says "Oh, is this yours? I thought it came with the machine."

REALLY? What gym do you go to that gives out iPods, preloaded with purchased music, with each elliptical? I went home and disinfected the earphones!

That's got to be a winner.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    Went to a new gym the other day, and none of the hand weights were in order. I had to keep searching when I went up in weight.

Lol I fixed the dumbbells at my gym yesterday because someone had put theirs in my spot. Then I realized the whole shelf was off and had to fix it!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    My #1 pet peeve has always been people who walk with the treadmill at a big ole' incline and then hang on for dear life. I always wonder why the trainers or staff don't tell them that's dangerous and pointless ... if you have to hold on, you're going too fast/have it up too high/not doing yourself any favors.

I'll bet the treadmill shows a higher burn if you set it to a high speed/incline. That way the user can feel better by thinking they burned more (when they obviously didn't).
  • joy5877
    joy5877 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comment about the kids in the gym and they start goofing around on the equipment. Another thing is loud phone talkers! This drives me nuts when they have an hour long conversation while walking. I do have my ipod on and the volume is up -they just talk really loud. I do not care about your day, your kids, your work problems...get off the phone or keep it short!

Thanks for the opportunity to vent!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I don't like it when people decide to give pointers and think they know everything. I'd get it if my form were bad but what if I'm doing something to target a different part of the muscle??? I'm not a fan of know-it-alls!

I'd have to say....................they might of just been looking for an excuse to mosey on over to you...............I'd probably tell you something about your form too..................(completely unknowledgeable gym guy here)................"hey ah............let me show you something here.........about that form.......".....LOL

Ever stop to think that "correcting" a girl on her form when she knows what she's doing will be taken as an insult, not a compliment? Jeez.