what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

I usually walk on the treadmill between 3.5mph-4.5mph (very brisk walking) and on an incline usually at 10. For 20 minutes it can burn a lot of calories. I just do not like running, I am pretty sure there are many more like me. I get people who size me up and probably think that my walking isn't as good as their running. Nevertheless, i can do that consistently for 20 minutes, while they have to stop every few minutes and not even finish their 20 minutes running 8-10mph generally.

I can understand the well over 20 minute mark part though. I never go over my allotted time. Out of courtesy :) But there is no harm in walking, just saying

You would have to be a pretty advanced runner to run at 8mph (or higher) for 20 minutes. Obviously they are doing Interval training, also known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

google it.

Even though they need to "stop" (you're supposed to slow to a walk), this is extremely effective training.

I must make people REALLY mad because I do this every week with my HIIT runs!

I find it WAY more effective than fussing with the speed every 30 seconds!!! I seriously know what I'm doing, been doing this for 9 months and I've never passed out. Or flown off the back.

BUT, I do feel I should add... I refrain from itching my butt every 30 seconds.

ETA: this was the topic of another comment of an older man stepping to the sides of the treadmill every now and then during a 40 minute workout. And scratching his butt. I thought I quoted that comment, I guess I didn't :) but they were similar .

I've been doing interval training for about a decade. It only takes once.

Good for you!

And when/if I fly off, I'll probably curse, be in pain and hobble away.... And come back to do it later. Maybe a little more cautious? Careful? Slower? I'll figure that out then.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

I usually walk on the treadmill between 3.5mph-4.5mph (very brisk walking) and on an incline usually at 10. For 20 minutes it can burn a lot of calories. I just do not like running, I am pretty sure there are many more like me. I get people who size me up and probably think that my walking isn't as good as their running. Nevertheless, i can do that consistently for 20 minutes, while they have to stop every few minutes and not even finish their 20 minutes running 8-10mph generally.

I can understand the well over 20 minute mark part though. I never go over my allotted time. Out of courtesy :) But there is no harm in walking, just saying

You would have to be a pretty advanced runner to run at 8mph (or higher) for 20 minutes. Obviously they are doing Interval training, also known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

google it.

Even though they need to "stop" (you're supposed to slow to a walk), this is extremely effective training.

I find it WAY more effective than fussing with the speed every 30 seconds!!! I seriously know what I'm doing, been doing this for 9 months and I've never passed out. Or flown off the back.

ETA: this was the topic of another comment of an older man stepping to the sides of the treadmill every now and then during a 40 minute workout. And scratching his butt. I thought I quoted that comment, I guess I didn't :) but they were similar .

Good for you!

And when/if I fly off, I'll probably curse, be in pain and hobble away.... And come back to do it later. Maybe a little more cautious? Careful? Slower? I'll figure that out then.

Jesus Christ..I was just trying to give you a heads up from the experience I've had and seen. Nothing is better than watching someone drop and then having to administer first aid because you don't know if they just had a heart attack or just blacked out.

Get over yourself.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options

google it.

Good for you!

Jesus Christ..I was just trying to give you a heads up from the experience I've had and seen. Nothing is better than watching someone drop and then having to administer first aid because you don't know if they just had a heart attack or just blacked out.

Get over yourself.

Whoa! That's taking it a little far, bringing him into it and all...

Most people learn from experience... At least I do, what works, what doesn't, etc. this works for me. I understand the risks, but most things in life involve some level of risk.

And trust me... I have nothing to get over. Except my own insecurities and faults.

ETA: fixed a typo :)
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    I don't like it when people decide to give pointers and think they know everything. I'd get it if my form were bad but what if I'm doing something to target a different part of the muscle??? I'm not a fan of know-it-alls!

I'd have to say....................they might of just been looking for an excuse to mosey on over to you...............I'd probably tell you something about your form too..................(completely unknowledgeable gym guy here)................"hey ah............let me show you something here.........about that form.......".....LOL
  • rpm2012
    rpm2012 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am toward the end of my 50 minute run on the treadmill and am running at 8mph a pretty decent pace after my energy is almost gone, and some old dude who just gets on the treadmill next to me and is walking asks me what I think about the hurricane on the east coast.... Not only do i have my earbuds in with the music full blast, I am clearly trying to push through the pain after having ran for 5 miles already. Pretty crazy dude.... was my reply. yeah, please dont bother me when you can clearly see I am working my *kitten* off to finish my run strong.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    I am toward the end of my 50 minute run on the treadmill and am running at 8mph a pretty decent pace after my energy is almost gone, and some old dude who just gets on the treadmill next to me and is walking asks me what I think about the hurricane on the east coast.... Not only do i have my earbuds in with the music full blast, I am clearly trying to push through the pain after having ran for 5 miles already. Pretty crazy dude.... was my reply. yeah, please dont bother me when you can clearly see I am working my *kitten* off to finish my run strong.

I won't say another word...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
  • rpm2012
    Options
    Its not that I dont care about whats going on. Some people just dont have the common sense of when to talk to you, or when not to talk to you. I dont mind people talking to me or saying something, I am not an unfriendly person. But please dont talk to me when you can clearly see I am near the end of a very intense workout
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    Its not that I dont care about whats going on. Some people just dont have the common sense of when to talk to you, or when not to talk to you. I dont mind people talking to me or saying something, I am not an unfriendly person. But please dont talk to me when you can clearly see I am near the end of a very intense workout

I'm the same way...................except for when I'm eating....................I just don't want to be bothered................I like conversation, but let me eat first please!

I can't say I work out hard like you, but I can definitely appreciate someone who does........................I personally don't think that person "knew" what they were doing.............to you. I'mma take a wild guess and say it was someone at least twice your age, probably 3 times your age, and in 10% of the shape your in.................no offense.................I just get that feeling.
  • rpm2012
    Options
    probably had to be at least 65-70 years old, I wasn't mean to the guy but still, you would think at that age you would know better. I usually am not annoyed by anything at the gym, but this one for some reason surprised me. I let it go, just kind of a shocker thats all.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    Let me tell you something....................and I'm dead serious about this.....................once you get to a certain age............things change in ones life.................the older you get(60's, 70's 80's) you revert back to childish things.

There's more senior citizens gossiping at the "senior center" then what was going on in your old middle/high school. They have nothing better to do, and it's just a part of the life cycle. I know you weren't being mean, but keep in mind what I said, if you will, I'm serious. People lose there marbles when they get old...............what's that dieses called where they can't remember anything, alzheimer's..............it's a real thing.................you and I aren't dealing with it......................one of the many things that can/does happen when we grow old :(
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Tonight a lady was mean to me in a class. I don't understand why some people feel the need to cut other people down for no reason. We were in HEAT class (circuits and running laps. it's hard) We were only in the warmup and she commented with her face all scrunched up that if I'm sweating already maybe I better take an easier class. I told her I don't need an easier class. I also informed her that I was sweating because I'd already been working out for 3 hours and I had just finished doing 12 miles. She rolled her eyes at me and said she was just trying to help. I replied that I didn't ask for or want her "help" and that if she knew how hard it was for someone 285 lbs to come into a hard class like this and do their best among the fit people then she would probably keep her opinions to herself. She walked away with her tail between her legs. I was smug later when I noticed she had to sit out for at least one circuit because she was having a hard time keeping up. Who needs the easier class now? She was looking pretty sweaty too. I didn't even care when she was talking about me to her friend during the cool down. You know what? I'd love to see her try to do just one of my workouts.

that was the first time anyone ever said anything like that to me. the Y that I go to is super supportive. When I told my coach what the lady said she was really mad. she works so hard to build everyone up and was the one who encouraged me to join the class a couple weeks ago.

Wow, I'm glad I don't go to some of the gyms you guys are talking about. (Where people make fun of you) - where I work out everyone I've encountered has been very supportive. "Oh I noticed you lost weight. You're doing really good, how much have you lost? congratulations" that sort of thing. If anyone has a negetive opinion about me like "oh she shoudln't be in this class - she's too fat for the gym" they keep it to themselves. I'm with the ones who say "I'm at the gym to work out, not socialize" there are people I've come to know and like and I'll talk to them, but when class starts we're in the zone. I guess my pet peeve is people who talk through a whole class and don't put any effort into the actual workout because they're too busy socializing.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    OMG....these all cracked me up!!!! Here are mine......like someone else said....advice, when I didn't ask for it. Someone who wants to chit chat and expects me to stop what I'm doing, take out my ear buds and chat back....NOOOOOOOOOOOO, I'm there to work out, its not a social for me. And my BIGGEST pet peeve of all is when someone points out to me the fact that I'm overweight....REALLY, thanks, because I didn't notice and hhhhmmmm.....guess that is why I'm at the gym!!
    This.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    Sorry I am one of those people who disagree with grunters, shriekers and weight droppers.

Unless you are using olympic / competition style bumper weights there really isnt a need for it.

The only time you really should be dropping a weight is because you are in some danger of hurting yourself, if you are repeatedly doing it then obviously you are not in true danger and are just taking unnecessary risks.

I have been to one, of the many gyms I have been to that had a weight lifting section where it was optimal to drop weights. They had a clean lift station with bumper pads and the bounce weights that people could add for clean jerk and deadlifts other than that area there really is no need to drop weights. With that equipment you barely notice the drop. I have yet to see that type of set up in any other gym. Yes most of the big gyms have padded floors, and yes most have bumper plates but those are designed for the equipment to be occasionally dropped due to emergency and misuse not practiced and planned.

It is just inconsiderate especially when you are next to someone lifting and they just slam the barbell down right next to you. For whatever reason it is just certain peoples thing,

My favorite thing is when I see the guy or girl dead lift something let it go behind them and then roar out loud... I just want to choke them out so bad. So inconsiderate and immature... High school kids do that.
  • skinimin
    skinimin Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    There is, what I call, a beefcake clique at my gym. About 4 guys and 1 girl, all major muscles and all on roids (not even exaggerating). I am tall and only weigh 55kg at my heaviest (I'm teeny tiny and the weakest person in the world basically), but I train with a personal trainer who is patient and has slowly built me up to be able to lift between 5kg-20kg which is really heavy for me :/

I HATE how the beefcake crew openly stare and discuss me when I'm working out and also laugh at me when I struggle with the weights. Just **** off hey, I'm not here to build muscle so just go away. I ignore them but it just really irritates me.
  • JosephVitte
    Options
    There is, what I call, a beefcake clique at my gym. About 4 guys and 1 girl, all major muscles and all on roids (not even exaggerating). I am tall and only weigh 55kg at my heaviest (I'm teeny tiny and the weakest person in the world basically), but I train with a personal trainer who is patient and has slowly built me up to be able to lift between 5kg-20kg which is really heavy for me :/

I HATE how the beefcake crew openly stare and discuss me when I'm working out and also laugh at me when I struggle with the weights. Just **** off hey, I'm not here to build muscle so just go away. I ignore them but it just really irritates me.

are you really ignoring.................or just pretending to?........................Just smile at them next time................I think it'll work, especially coming from a small petite girl............... if one of these meat heads laughs at you after that..............there just so far gone on the roids..............there brains are even being squeezed. One of them will pull up to a Denny's Restaurant late at night one time, and mouth off to some guy about being too loud.................that guy will not be intimidated by his size.............stand up, and beat the you know what out of him, right there in Denny's. His girlfriend will be screaming, and there will be a lot of blood and tables knocked over.

Just smile at them, I think it'll work.

Messing with the small girls especially irks me
  • bacamacho
    bacamacho Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love my gym. Haven't had such issues. Maybe it's because I go at lunch time and it's not too busy.
  • 3under2
    3under2 Posts: 133
    Options
    I might sound like a jerk saying this but whatev...

I am a very regimented person. I have my routine, i go every day, same time, rotate my work outs...Its all planned out. my whole week.

I work out at the gym in my apt building and every so often, i end up w/ some guy or gal in my way simply becuase they got a work out bug up their *kitten* the day before and decide to work out 1 time. Now, i totally appreciate people needing to start a program slowly or whatever...but it really aggrevates me when someone who works out 1x a year or even 1x a month gets in my way.

understand this.

1.) if this person was starting up a fitness routine and started showing up daily, i WOULDNT have a problem w/ it. My problem lies w/ someone getting in my way who will NEVER work out again so they're wasting my time and theirs. go home and eat something please.
    2.)If someone gets in my way every day, that i do not mind cuz i can plan around them, work around them whatever. Its the random show ups to the gym i hate. There was a guy that was constantly in my way but he works out every day so we helped spot for eachtoher and rotated and communicated.

Does anyone else have a problem w/ this?

This times a thousand. Usually happens the first Monday of every month! Then I see RED ...
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I might sound like a jerk saying this but whatev...

I am a very regimented person. I have my routine, i go every day, same time, rotate my work outs...Its all planned out. my whole week.

I work out at the gym in my apt building and every so often, i end up w/ some guy or gal in my way simply becuase they got a work out bug up their *kitten* the day before and decide to work out 1 time. Now, i totally appreciate people needing to start a program slowly or whatever...but it really aggrevates me when someone who works out 1x a year or even 1x a month gets in my way.

understand this.

1.) if this person was starting up a fitness routine and started showing up daily, i WOULDNT have a problem w/ it. My problem lies w/ someone getting in my way who will NEVER work out again so they're wasting my time and theirs. go home and eat something please.
    2.)If someone gets in my way every day, that i do not mind cuz i can plan around them, work around them whatever. Its the random show ups to the gym i hate. There was a guy that was constantly in my way but he works out every day so we helped spot for eachtoher and rotated and communicated.

Does anyone else have a problem w/ this?

This times a thousand. Usually happens the first Monday of every month! Then I see RED ...

YES! What is it with the first Monday??? I go in our complex gym around 6am and there's usually one or two other people in there. We say hello to each other and go about our business. The first Monday though.. ugh. Or even better, right after New Years. Right after NY, there are like 10 random people that are clearly angry to be in there, clogging up machines, loudly talking, glaring at people that look like they know what they're doing. I mean, good for people getting started but it's the angry 1 week drop outs that don't wipe their sweat off of the machines that's like ahhhhhh!!!!

I also bam my weights. I can't help it. I don't do it on purpose but I lift heavy and sometimes there's just no quiet way of dropping that stack? It's not to be rude, it's just a lot of metal hitting metal. It makes a noise.
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Didn't make me see red...but I couldn't look away. I was kind of interested in what was on this guy's mind.

This was an older guy, maybe 50s, overweight, and he was running on the treadmill at a very high speed. But every couple of minutes, he would move his feet to the side of the treadmill and rest, while letting the treadmill run. And several times in the course of about 40 minutes, he scratched his rear in a place you normally don't see people do in public. Yes, it can be extremely irritating to have a "down there" itch, but if you scratch in public, the person behind you without a book or tv headphones may notice, lol.

Every time he got back on the treadmill, he would lean his weight heavily on the sidebars while getting used to the high speed, then run at that speed for a couple of minutes, then get off and rest on the side and scratch down there while the treadmill ran...and at the end of 40 minutes his treadmill said he burned well over 1000 calories and ran nearly 5 miles, and I saw him looking intently at the numbers - doing the math to get the real number?

I don't understand why someone would want to let the treadmill run without being on it for so much of a workout. He could have brought the speed down and then put it back up, and it would have given him more accurate numbers.

I've done this many times. But in my case, it's usually a matter of doing 1 minute intervals at a high speed that treadmills sometimes take a while to accellerate to. So, if I want to alternate between 60 seconds of running at, say 7.5 mph and 60 seconds of rest, it's easier to hop off to rest then carefully "hop" back on. Normally, however, I prefer to be doing this on an actual running track and simply sprinting and stopping, but the weather doesn't always play along.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

google it.

Good for you!

Get over yourself.

Whoa! That's taking it a little far, bringing him into it and all...

Most people learn from experience... At least I do, what works, what doesn't, etc. this works for me. I understand the risks, but most things in life involve some level of risk.

And trust me... I have nothing to get over. Except my own insecurities and faults.

ETA: fixed a typo :)

I get really annoyed when others with experience give advice that is even a hair outside what a person is doing they get offended. That is what I took from the "good for you". You stated you knew what you were doing because you have been doing this for 9 mos. I was making the point that I had been doing it a long time too and it can still happen. I was in really good shape when I almost passed out becasue I just stopped on a treadmill.

With that said, I didn't tell you to stop or change, just be careful. I could care less if you fly off the machine. I wanted to point out that you could go down and then the rest of the gym goers need to come to your aid. The road rash is nothing pretty either. Trust me on that.

That belt rolling at 8-10mph can really cause a burn when the face makes contact....not pretty.