what's made you see red at the gym?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    There's this one guy who always wears a red shirt...

:drinker: too funny :laugh:
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    When people do not clean their machines after use.

When someone "reserves" a machine for a friend by placing some of their crap on it; and friend does not show up to use said machine for another 10-15 min. A lady at my gym does this all the time.

When people sit on the weight machines and talk on their cell phones.

When I dropped in on a spinning class and realized any of the children under 10 in my family could have made a better instructor.

When someone wears perfume/cologne and then stinks me out as they work out next to me.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    (May have been said before but) When people drop their weights to the ground after finishing their last rep... "If you can't put it down, dont pick it up"
  • krisbychiken
    krisbychiken Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    People who wear wayyy too much perfume, people who will skip the entire empty row of machines and work out RIGHT next to me, and people who have loud conversations. UGH I get so mad! :grumble: I will actually step off my machine and go to another one just to avoid these guys.
  • mrsburghart
    mrsburghart Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    One time in a step class I claimed the furthest back corner closest to the water fountain (i needed to leave early and didn't want to disrupt the rest of the class). Had my bench there and everything. When I went to get risers for my bench, I turn around and some lady was moving my bench over so she could get that spot. Her bench was inches from mine. I gaped at her, walked over to say something, and she tells me my bench is too close to hers, and motions for me to move it....REALLY?! Of course, there was very little room for me to move my bench to, and the class filled up too fast for me to claim another spot. So I felt like my space was violated and I couldn't do the moves correctly without slapping someone. The people around me seemed annoyed at me, like it was MY fault! The whole time I glared at her, and when I had to leave...yup...made sure I walked in front of her every time disrupting her. I was furious!
  • Its_My_Time
    Its_My_Time Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    :grumble: When people are talking on their cell phone! UGH!!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Ok... stuff bugs me, but rarely do I react. People are pigs and slobs and that's just how it is and I shake my head and move on. But today, I had had it...

My Spinning class is full of chatterboxes - I mean, they are yakking away for the first 20 minutes of class, until they finally decide to work a little. Then they shut up and I get my sweat on and all is well. Come the last 5 minutes and the instructor is trying to cool us down and stretch us out (very important for an old girl like me!) and the magpies start right back up. Today, it was so bad, I couldn't even HEAR the instructor! This happens all the time, but for whatever reason, today was the day --- I literally yelled SHUT UP! TWICE! They didn't, but I felt better.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    I wouldn't really say it makes me see red but I guess I'd say it bugs me a little when people are working out in non-workout clothes. OK, maybe a guy can get away with cargo shorts or boots lifting weights if he's going for an urban look but I see way too many guys literally in jeans, polo shirts, slacks, loafers, etc. Just buy some shorts.
  • Crystaleyed
    Crystaleyed Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm still too poor to afford a gym but can't wait until Uni. if I get to where I want to go I get gym membership free for the first year :D.
    I think a lot of people are so rude, but I guess it gives us motivation to prove them wrong hey :)
  • Pnknlvr96
    Pnknlvr96 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    ^ Oh yeah, there's been a couple of times when you get those people that kick the treadmill with every step. 45 mins of THUD THUD THUD THUD THUD is usually enough to P(*& me off too.

Yes, or they shuffle their feet. SO annoying. My apartment has a gym too, and one guy used to always crank up the treadmill incline, set it to a high speed, and then proceed to hang on for dear life. I REALLY wanted to tell him he wasn't doing himself any favors by hanging on...why not slow down a bit?

Now I do Insanity in the comfort of my own living room. :bigsmile:
  • Ann1964x
    Options
    so glad I work out at home:happy:
  • Pnknlvr96
    Options
    I guess my pet peeve is people who talk through a whole class and don't put any effort into the actual workout because they're too busy socializing.

Yes this too. Women chatting in the back of spinning class. If you can talk, you're not working hard enough! :mad:
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I set my towel and ipod with headphones on an elliptical and ran to the bathroom. There was no one else in that area. When I came out, a woman was on THAT elliptical, with all the others empty, USING MY IPOD AND HEADPHONES and had the towel around her neck. I walked up and motioned for her to her, she pulled one headphone out and I said "ummmm, can I get my stuff out of your way?" (I was trying to be polite!) She says "Oh, is this yours? I thought it came with the machine."

REALLY? What gym do you go to that gives out iPods, preloaded with purchased music, with each elliptical? I went home and disinfected the earphones!

Yeah, this one wins. Sorry, but putting in someone elses headphones into your ears is gross. Seriously? Even if the headphones came with the machine, you want to put in earbuds that have touched 5,000 other people's waxy ears? EW.

This thread is why I run in the great outdoors. My biggest pet peeves are:

1. Drivers who drive straight towards me, then veer (or not) at the last second. I'm in dayglow construction reflective clothing and have blinking lights all over me, so it's not like they don't see me - I know I'm hot *kitten* but don't drive at me like a moth to a flame.

2. Suburbanites who love having a dog, but refuse to let it inside or teach it to be quiet. I really like running, especially with my trained (silent) dogs, at 5AM in the summer, getting all the neighborhood dogs going and forcing the lazy owners to deal with their pets at an ungodly hour.

But I don't pay for a membership, shower in public, or have to drive anywhere to deal with those pet peeves, so I can handle them just fine.
  • laural007
    laural007 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    When all of the treadmills are taken and they walk at 3.0 the ENTIRE time...
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Went to a new gym the other day, and none of the hand weights were in order. I had to keep searching when I went up in weight.

Lol I fixed the dumbbells at my gym yesterday because someone had put theirs in my spot. Then I realized the whole shelf was off and had to fix it!

The reracking of weights incorrectly bugs me to no end! I straighten them all out because I can't seem to get a good workout in if I'm freaking out about them being out of place!

Today, there were about half of the weights missing from the under 17.5lb section - not sure where they went. I told the front desk, they said they would have to find them. WHY ARE PEOPLE TAKING THEM ALL OVER THE GYM (and not putting them back)?!?!?!?!?
  • Pnknlvr96
    Options
    I set my towel and ipod with headphones on an elliptical and ran to the bathroom. There was no one else in that area. When I came out, a woman was on THAT elliptical, with all the others empty, USING MY IPOD AND HEADPHONES and had the towel around her neck. I walked up and motioned for her to her, she pulled one headphone out and I said "ummmm, can I get my stuff out of your way?" (I was trying to be polite!) She says "Oh, is this yours? I thought it came with the machine."

REALLY? What gym do you go to that gives out iPods, preloaded with purchased music, with each elliptical? I went home and disinfected the earphones!

This cracked me up! What a moron!!

And I know this is personal preference and shouldn't bother me, but women who are completely decked out in full hair and makeup and can't be bothered to break a sweat annoy me. Is that what a "cardio bunny" is? I get it if you're coming from work, but 9:00 on a Saturday morning? Really?!
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I have a new one this week. Some big macho guy decided to grab his dumbbells and proceed to do curls RIGHT IN FRONT OF THE RACK. Blocking all the dumbbells. You could carry those things 3 feet away so I didn't have to ask you to move (shouting over your headphones) so I could grab a set?
  • cknight30064
    cknight30064 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    *hops on soapbox*

I do Zumba a lot, and I happen to be really good at it because I've been dancing for over 17 years. So, since I can pick up the new routines quickly, I always go to the very back of the group fitness room and give myself a fair amount of space. 99 times out of 100 I'm the only guy there too, another reason I go to the back because I get that, for whatever reason, the one young guy in the class seems to always make some of the women uncomfortable.

EVERY CLASS there is always at least one woman near me (read: 8 feet away and NOWHERE close) that makes it a very dramatic point to move to the opposite side of the room before we even start. I'm talking full on grumbling about me, getting all her stuff, huffing and puffing and practically stomping away. 2 or 3 others just can't seem to stop gossiping about the man that walked into the class too. WHY?? :noway:

Let me make this as clear as possible... I am NOT here for YOU. I am NOT here to make you uncomfortable. I am NOT here to stare at all the women sweating and grunting in unflattering gym clothes. I am NOT here to make inappropriate passes at you while one of us is trying to work out. I am DEFINITELY NOT here because I want to *pretend* to effort into something for an hour just to find an excuse to get away from my crappy, boring marriage and misbehaving children that you all just can't seem to shut up about :grumble: (I go to a rich people's gym, blessing & curse).

To clarify, I AM here for ME. I AM here to help me feel more comfortable about myself. I AM here to take a good hard look in the mirror at MYSELF so I can see how much I'm changing and what needs more work. I AM into dudes, so please get over yourself, you're not hot. I AM going to work out whether or not you're near me. Finally, I AM going to dance circles around you, because I can :laugh:

The other thing that irritates me on the same subject is those same women that won't stop judging me the first class always seem to gravitate towards me the next class because I know the routines and I do it right. NO, I'm not going to help your judgmental, gossiping, cardio bunny self look good if you aren't going to put in the effort.

THANK YOU to all the women (and men) who are nice and want to help others help themselves.

Ok, done with the soapbox, had to vent. Love you all :heart: :bigsmile: