what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• JennyBug2007
    Options
    Definitely the creeper. It's uncomfortable to see someone not working out who is just staring at everyone who is...
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I only ever saw it happen once but once was enough........Woman in the locker room shaving her lady parts and collecting the hair on the ledge outside her shower stall. GROSS!!!

:noway: :sick:
  • Crazibaker
    Crazibaker Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I just joined 24 hour fitness from a private gym and I find people a lot more annoying. They don't wipe down their sweaty machine and they use the machines for chatting with other people. There are also a lot more people there to be looked at rather than work out. That part is kinda funny though, I just laugh and roll my eyes.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    There is only one thing that bothers me at the gym, when I get that creeping feeling that some one is staring and I look up and they are . . . again and again. There's a mirror in front of you sir, and it seems to me that you need to spend more time looking it in at your form, I got my form under control.

Are you sure they're staring or are they zoned out. I find that I stare all the time when I'm zoned out.

Nope, this last time it was definitely staring. The glassy eyed zoned out in my general direction never bothers me, usually I work out at 530 in the morning and all 3 of us in the weight room at that time get that look and end up staring at each other's feet at some point during the hour that we share the small space. I'm big on being courteous in the weight room and greeting people, or just acknowleging them, I work at the gym part time and find that and sort of think that the whole being nice to members thing is a part of my job. However on Saturday I relocated several times in the weight room and every time I looked up he made eye contact. It got to the point that I kept looking to make sure he wasn't looking . . . about half way through I thought "he's going to start thinking I'm staring." LOL

You see me watching you watching me . . .
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    I only ever saw it happen once but once was enough........Woman in the locker room shaving her lady parts and collecting the hair on the ledge outside her shower stall. GROSS!!!

That's really foul. The last time I used a hair dryer in the locker room I was when I saw a lady using one of the dryers to dry her junk. It was sort of fascinating in a train wreck kind of way . . . I don't know why it totally grossed me out, but I vowed never to use a public hair dryer ever again.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    One thing that really p!ssed me off, was this one time I was using the fly machine, and I had done a warm up set, and two sets after that, and I had one to go. So this guy comes over, and is just looking at me so I ask him if he wants to work in, and he says to me "I was on here first". So after that it's go F yourself, and no you to wait for me to finish, and you lost your chance to work in, because if you were on this machine, I shouldn't have been able to get 3 sets in before you came back to use it again. Guess what I was on it first, because I used it last week D!CK FACE!

Also if I ask you to spot me, and you don't know how to spot just tell me please. I appreciate the effort, but just because I'm struggling a little bit does not mean I can't do it so don't pick up the bar, and put it back on the rack while I'm still benching, because I wanted to do 2 more reps, and then have you help me with the last one!
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    I'm new to the gym but it really irked me when I was sat on the bike and the woman sprayed the machine behind me with disinfectant and sprayed me like all over my back my hair my face and the wench didn't even apologise. Eugh, I was itching for hours. :angry:

ha ha or spray the machine in front of a fan!! HA HA I hate that too!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

I usually walk on the treadmill between 3.5mph-4.5mph (very brisk walking) and on an incline usually at 10. For 20 minutes it can burn a lot of calories. I just do not like running, I am pretty sure there are many more like me. I get people who size me up and probably think that my walking isn't as good as their running. Nevertheless, i can do that consistently for 20 minutes, while they have to stop every few minutes and not even finish their 20 minutes running 8-10mph generally.

I can understand the well over 20 minute mark part though. I never go over my allotted time. Out of courtesy :) But there is no harm in walking, just saying

You would have to be a pretty advanced runner to run at 8mph (or higher) for 20 minutes. Obviously they are doing Interval training, also known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

google it.

Even though they need to "stop" (you're supposed to slow to a walk), this is extremely effective training.

I must make people REALLY mad because I do this every week with my HIIT runs!

I find it WAY more effective than fussing with the speed every 30 seconds!!! I seriously know what I'm doing, been doing this for 9 months and I've never passed out. Or flown off the back.

BUT, I do feel I should add... I refrain from itching my butt every 30 seconds.

ETA: this was the topic of another comment of an older man stepping to the sides of the treadmill every now and then during a 40 minute workout. And scratching his butt. I thought I quoted that comment, I guess I didn't :) but they were similar .
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    why just the other day, I was at my local gym that I pay for mind you, walking with my good friends Gertrude and Thelma Louise, bless her heart her husband Robert passed away just this spring, and did you know they had been together for 45 years!?! That's quite a long time. So we were walking on our machines and trading ribbon candy recipes when wouldn't you know it, this young girl, is lifting those aweful manly weights they keep in that other room and every time she picks them up, she just grunts and groans like one of daddy's hogs back on the farm! Oh my, it was such a sight and sound to behold!

Well me and the girls tried to ignore it, but Thelma Louise is hard of hearing you see and she couldn't hear me when I tried to tell her the secret to my ribbon candy was a quarter ounce of peppermint extract I add at the end over that girls grunting. And don't even get me started on the way the boys in the gym were gawking at her, she should be ashamed carrying on like that where men-folk can see you, like some trollop! So I got off my machine and walked into that other room and politely told that young girl that perhaps if she had to make that noise she shouldn't be lifting such heavy weights and that I would appreciate it if she could be a little quieter. Well, the girl got flushed and I knew she wanted to say something, but I think she realized the wisdom in my words, so I walked back to my Gertrude and Thelma Louise and told them what I had told her and then told them about my grandson Luke winning his elementary school science fair!

But that really boils my tea, a young lady carrying on like that.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

I usually walk on the treadmill between 3.5mph-4.5mph (very brisk walking) and on an incline usually at 10. For 20 minutes it can burn a lot of calories. I just do not like running, I am pretty sure there are many more like me. I get people who size me up and probably think that my walking isn't as good as their running. Nevertheless, i can do that consistently for 20 minutes, while they have to stop every few minutes and not even finish their 20 minutes running 8-10mph generally.

I can understand the well over 20 minute mark part though. I never go over my allotted time. Out of courtesy :) But there is no harm in walking, just saying

You would have to be a pretty advanced runner to run at 8mph (or higher) for 20 minutes. Obviously they are doing Interval training, also known as High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT).

google it.

Even though they need to "stop" (you're supposed to slow to a walk), this is extremely effective training.

I find it WAY more effective than fussing with the speed every 30 seconds!!! I seriously know what I'm doing, been doing this for 9 months and I've never passed out. Or flown off the back.

I never realized that HIIT frustrates the people around you... If that's the case, the cardio bunnies must really hate me every morning after I get done lifting :happy:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options
    why just the other day, I was at my local gym that I pay for mind you, walking with my good friends Gertrude and Thelma Louise, bless her heart her husband Robert passed away just this spring, and did you know they had been together for 45 years!?! That's quite a long time. So we were walking on our machines and trading ribbon candy recipes when wouldn't you know it, this young girl, is lifting those aweful manly weights they keep in that other room and every time she picks them up, she just grunts and groans like one of daddy's hogs back on the farm! Oh my, it was such a sight and sound to behold!

Well me and the girls tried to ignore it, but Thelma Louise is hard of hearing you see and she couldn't hear me when I tried to tell her the secret to my ribbon candy was a quarter ounce of peppermint extract I add at the end over that girls grunting. And don't even get me started on the way the boys in the gym were gawking at her, she should be ashamed carrying on like that where men-folk can see you, like some trollop! So I got off my machine and walked into that other room and politely told that young girl that perhaps if she had to make that noise she shouldn't be lifting such heavy weights and that I would appreciate it if she could be a little quieter. Well, the girl got flushed and I knew she wanted to say something, but I think she realized the wisdom in my words, so I walked back to my Gertrude and Thelma Louise and told them what I had told her and then told them about my grandson Luke winning his elementary school science fair!

I bet she was even one of those pants or shorts wearing tarts. Girls these days, well I'll be, they will put anything on.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options

I bet she was even one of those pants or shorts wearing tarts. Girls these days, well I'll be, they will put anything on.

'Specially those dog'done tank tops where you can clearly see their bosoms and underarms. My word.
  • GeekGirl23
    GeekGirl23 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Kids playing on the machines
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    The thing i hate the most is when people don't wipe down the cardio machines after use. I may see this differently because it's such a pet peeve, but the worst offenders always seem to be the people who sweat the most.

Mostly, though, I'm inspired at the gym. I expect many of the posters here would consider me to be one of the "little old ladies" at their gym, and there is no way I can keep up people who are decades younger than I am. I am always inspired by other people my age, and especially inspired by people who are very heavy. They may not be able to run the fastest or lift the most weight, but they are working away in spite of that intimidating feeling that can come with walking into a gym full of fit twenty-somethings.
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options

oh lordy, you don't know the half of it! She was wearing one of those new type of suits all the young folk are wearing, leaves nothing to the imagination! What ever happened to being a lady? When I go, I dress appropriately, a nice pair of comfortable jeans and a light blouse.
  • ChancyW
    ChancyW Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I don't like it when people decide to give pointers and think they know everything. I'd get it if my form were bad but what if I'm doing something to target a different part of the muscle??? I'm not a fan of know-it-alls!
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options

oh lordy, you don't know the half of it! She was wearing one of those new type of suits all the young folk are wearing, leaves nothing to the imagination! What ever happened to being a lady? When I go, I dress appropriately, a nice pair of comfortable jeans and a light blouse.

Touché, dearest grannies... Touché ;)
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    A girl came in for an induction, she didn't seem to need to loose a whole lot of weight. She got my favourite instructor, Helen, at the end of the introduction to the gym, the machines she started to tell the newbie about healthy eating and weight loss.

The girl visibly laughed in Helen's face, I quote, 'someone as fat as you can't be telling me about how to loose weight! You look twice as big as me! I should be the one teaching you.'

Helen, as cool as a cucumber (as she's awesome) smiled, lifted her tshirt to expose her pregnancy bump 'I've only got one more week, then I'm on maternity- and if you're like most of the people that come here to work off weight you'll have left by the time I get back. Great way to start.'' It's been barely a month and I've not seen that cocky cow!

Also I got told off for 'sweating too much'- this one woman objected to my 50 minute cardio work out and said by sweating so much I obviously wasn't doing it right. At first I thought it was that I hadn't wiped down after I'd finished but no- too much sweating.
  • Cheri_Moves
    Options
    A girl came in for an induction, she didn't seem to need to loose a whole lot of weight. She got my favourite instructor, Helen, at the end of the introduction to the gym, the machines she started to tell the newbie about healthy eating and weight loss.

The girl visibly laughed in Helen's face, I quote, 'someone as fat as you can't be telling me about how to loose weight! You look twice as big as me! I should be the one teaching you.'

Helen, as cool as a cucumber (as she's awesome) smiled, lifted her tshirt to expose her pregnancy bump 'I've only got one more week, then I'm on maternity- and if you're like most of the people that come here to work off weight you'll have left by the time I get back. Great way to start.'' It's been barely a month and I've not seen that cocky cow!

Also I got told off for 'sweating too much'- this one woman objected to my 50 minute cardio work out and said by sweating so much I obviously wasn't doing it right. At first I thought it was that I hadn't wiped down after I'd finished but no- too much sweating.
    Oooooh, thems fighting words! Go Helen!!!

And seriously... Sweating too much DOES NOT equal doing it wrong, actually, the opposite is generally true!
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

google it.

ETA: this was the topic of another comment of an older man stepping to the sides of the treadmill every now and then during a 40 minute workout. And scratching his butt. I thought I quoted that comment, I guess I didn't :) but they were similar .

I've been doing interval training for about a decade. It only takes once.