what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• eliz_in_pink
    eliz_in_pink Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I really really dislike when the really "in-shape" people make fun of the people who are just starting out at the gym.

This happened during the summer and I overheard these two guys talking ACROSS the gym about this woman who was sincerely trying. I shot them the dirtiest look (my next step was to go over there and rip their heads off..) but they ended up leaving and I haven't seen them since.

I also really really dislike when people do not wear proper shoes to the gym. "Oh, you are in flip flops and trying to do the *insert gym equipment here*, I hope you FALL, idiot :grumble:
  • Trudyr777
    Trudyr777 Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    And my BIGGEST pet peeve of all is when someone points out to me the fact that I'm overweight....REALLY, thanks, because I didn't notice and hhhhmmmm.....guess that is why I'm at the gym!!

what?! under what circumstances would someone say that?

I get that at the gym too! It's rediculous! Why do you think I am there??
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Yep. considering every time the dumbbells are dropped tiny cracks are worn into them and you will then need new ones after years of dropping constantly - and someone even broke the mirror the other day /: watch what you're doing people. geez.

So after YEARS of use your gym will have to replace it's old azz dumbbells with new dumbbells? This is a bad thing?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    My gym has rubberized plates and a special floor where it's okay to deadlift, push press, etc and then drop the weights. However, out on the general floor with regular weights, it's not okay to just drop them willy-nilly. It's disruptive and destructive to just drop them.

My big pet peeve is the people on their cell phones on the treadmills and elliptical machines, and the influx of very young high school "athletes" who work out together but clearly don't know what they're doing.

I wouldn't put athletes in quotes because they "clearly don't know what they're doing." Did you know what you were doing when it came to the gym in HS? I sure as hell didn't without proper training.

The main problem is they're being shown how to train by coaches, and not trainers. In my HS we had real trainers in our fitness center to work with the "athletes", as you say. Many schools don't have that avaliable to them, so the coaches teach players what they learned, which could be extremely outdated.
  • DavPul
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

The hell?!?!?!! YOU are the arbiter of who gets to do what and at what they speed they get to do it? Soooooo......there's nobody at your gym that runs faster than you and is like, "this chick is wasting her time running as 12 when I could be running at 20"? Or do you automatically relinquish your treadmill when you see a faster runner waiting for it?

So when I see someone bench pressing half of what I can do, I should look at them with disdain and/or ask them to GTFO??? Get over yourself.
  • DavPul
    Options
    My one big beef lately is with the lifter guys who don't use collars. This isn't your private gym, so if you're looking for the option to dump the weights for your personal safety reasons over those of others, tough cookies: get yourself a spotter. I don't give two crap about some Little Barbie Lightweight with 10 lb plates loaded on either side of the olympic bar, but given the cramped quarters, if these guys tip enough (and I have seen them teetering), they could wind up dumping some seriously heavy plates onto the legs of someone working nearby... to the point where they break bones. I have asked nicely for them to use collars, and I get some whiney-*kitten* reply that "Nnnn! It's too haaaard to use the collars! They're too crappy and stiiiiifff!"

Yes, well, I know... they're a bit rusty and old, and they're the cheap spring collars... but guess who still uses them every. single. time! Guess who volunteers to put them on for these guys herself! Seriously, I want to shout at them, "I use them, and I'm a girl!... so if you don't think you're as strong as a girl, then by all meeeeaaaans, don't use the collars." Alternately, I'd love to say, "What, your grip strength isn't strong enough for them? I could've sworn otherwise, you wanker."

Thankfully, due to my lobbying, one of the local rec centres has ordered 4 pairs of lockjaws.

You've seen all the weights tipped off a bar how many times, exactly? And are people really working that close to each other at bench or squat stations? Lastly, wassup with your disdain of smaller women lifting lighter weights than you?
  • DavPul
    Options
    No seeing red moments for me...............just see opportunity.............maybe it helps that my gym is small and cozy. Not your typical gym, a pretty low volume of people come in and out...............and it's actually pretty darn relaxing..........seriously, they serve beer, wine, soda, gatorade, and pizza makes it's way into the gym once or twice a week.................we have potluck days...........leather couch's................I love it..................and no, I don't indulge myself(food,beer) but I think it's pretty cool it's happening in the GYM!

Sorry to hear that you got grandma's telling you how much to lift :(

Just started scrolling up, and saw a quote about someone complaining about street clothes and ice cream..............we have ice cream too, get over it, your not eating it!

Joseph, stop being reasonable! Don't you understand that people here have the right, nay, the DUTY to complain about perfect strangers going about their own business in a manner that doesn't affect them at all? WE DO NOT LOG INTO MFP TO BE REASONABLE. Don't make me report you.

Also, ease back off the ellipses. A little goes a long way. Just sayin.
  • DavPul
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

Maybe they have an injury which means they can't run?

Im sorry, I phrased that badly. I didn't mean just that they're walking but that they're walking over the time limit when people are waiting in line to get on a machine. Whats stopping them from walking around the gym or outdoors if they want a longer walk or to get back in line with everyone else so they arent abusing the time limit. I am more understanding of the people who are running. You cant really run around the perimeter of the gym and our city is very hilly so if you are doing lots of miles (will go over 20 minutes) its much more convenient to do it on the treadmill than outside.

Every word you typed after your first sentence proves that you did not phrase it badly. You obv phrased it exactly as you meant it. Why can't YOU run outside around the gym. As always, get over yourself.
  • DavPul
    Options
    Oh i forgot:

When teachers call me out in front of the work out class for looking at my watch. It's actually an HRM...

That is a watch. Your HRM isn't helping you in the middle of the class. Stop looking at it and pay attention. Do you think if you don't check it every 4 mins your heart will explode? Or will you lose all your gainz?
  • DavPul
    Options

but it's called weight LIFTING not weight PUTTING DOWN :laugh:

I'm so stealing this
  • DavPul
    Options
    Usually young captain upper bodies who have never squatted beep all, hogging the weights, the benches and sitting watching or listening to something on their mobile phones, or chatting...when I cannot do what I need to in the allotted time because some douchewads are arsing around in the gym, then I see BRIGHT RED!!!

Seems like you should be happy because it sounds like all the squat racks are available
  • DavPul
    Options
    There were 4 guys, friends, helping each other workout the other night. I swear I have seen teenage girls in McDonalds check their phones less than these guys were. Between the four of them it was easily 10% exercise and 90% phone.

They were probably using their phone apps to post GYM RANT threads on MFP.

That is all. Have a great day everyone!
  • McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    not reracking weights
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    To be honest though, I do think its a little rude/weird when people always drop their weights after a set and it makes a crazy loud boom. I always think, if its too heavy for you to put down maybe you should go lighter? Lol I guess its to each their own huh?

It's called pushing your limits. It is actually quite effective.

As for the topic, the only thing that's irritated me at the gym lately is the lack of flat, open floor space for thinks like lunges and planks. Every spare inch is crammed with machines and free weights (which is good, of course), but if you aren't on a machine you are probably going to end up blocking one.
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    - People who don't put their weight away.
    - People who talk loud on their cellphones while they (and myself) are working out
    - People who sit and rest or chat on machines/stations, etc. for periods of time while I want and wait for the machine. (I'm a get-in-and-'er-dun lifter...if I can, my muscle rest comes as I try rotate between stations like abdominal, chest, calves, shoulders and repeat rotation)
  • NoMoreFlubbering
    NoMoreFlubbering Posts: 95 Member
    Options

Uncool. Many people can't run. Over the 20 minute mark is bad and they should leave, but it's not up to you to dictate how they use their 20 mins.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options

Seems like you should be happy because it sounds like all the squat racks are available

I wish...but mostly, yes at the right times, it is free...next year will be great, a gym with 3 squat racks, I don't think I will be seeing red then...
  • boobs4ears
    Options
    I was on the treadmill mid work out and got off to grab my phone so I could listen to some tunes, I left my drink bottle and towel on the equipment, I pressed pause, I'd been gone 20 seconds and someone had dumped my towel and bottle on the floor and was on my machine! If I see peoples belongings on machines I assume they're on a rest for whatever reasons. I'd never just dump stuff on the floor and take over.
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    popcorn_gifs#23
  • DavPul
    Options

I wish...but mostly, yes at the right times, it is free...next year will be great, a gym with 3 squat racks, I don't think I will be seeing red then...

I wish my gym had 3 racks. I hate having to wait to do bicep curls