what's made you see red at the gym?

Options

Replies

• nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Either:

When there's PLENTY of room in the group exercise studio, and people set their Bodypump equipment basically on top of mine -.-

When people are so selfish that they basically smash me out of the way during Aerobics.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I so need to start going to the gym so I can find things to be annoyed about! i tried to sign up on sunday but i crashed on a hill on my bike + the sunday staff didnt know anything lol. <
    look i found one!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I work in a Gym so mine might be a tiny bit different to yours..

* The guys that do major ****s in the toilet, leaving toilet paper all over the ground and piss on the floor.
    * taking an hour to put everyones weights away! srsly! THERE ARE SIGNS FOR A REASON!
    - Someone has to clean these if you don't, and no I am not your freaking mother!!
    * when we close up at 9 and some guy is like "no just one more set" NO. i have to be at school in 9 hours. JUST GET OUT.
    * people that just can't use correct technique? what i love though ; being able to correct them :wink:
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

Maybe they have an injury which means they can't run?
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Lol! I can relate to all of these! especially when ppl don't put equipment away. I end up doing it in a huff just so I can workout In My happy place.

But funny thing was I wasn't grunting... It was weights dropping. NOT THROWING THEM! I wish I would have thought of the osteoporosis line!!! Classic :)

To be honest though, I do think its a little rude/weird when people always drop their weights after a set and it makes a crazy loud boom. I always think, if its too heavy for you to put down maybe you should go lighter? Lol I guess its to each their own huh?
    I would never say that to someone though. Its asking for bachi/karma and I would not want anyone treating my family member or me that way.

but it's called weight LIFTING not weight PUTTING DOWN :laugh:

at my regular gym, i drop my weights only when i work with dumbbells or the actual weight plates since they are smaller and wont damage the weight plates. it' almost always when i'm doing something like a tumminello complex where i'm doing a bunch a different exercise with the 25 pound weight plate for time. i'd never drop the barbell though because they only have the harder weight plates

at my crossfit gym i drop weights all the time but that's because 1) they use the cool rubber ones that bounce and 2)after you've 30 cleans and presses putting that mess down in a lady like fashion is the last thing on your mind

Lol. I swear though, some people at my gym (normally guys) do it on purpose in addition to a loud burst of energetic whooping or noise. I feel like they just want attention! I can understand the fatigue thing though.

I think it's a way to draw attention... when guy's or anyone makes over-loud dropping of weights or grunts... There are signs on the mirrors surrounding the weights-area that ask patrons to not drop weights on the floor... but there's always that one guy that tries to show off and fein not noticing the signs printed on yellow and green paper >_<
  • BeautyFromPain
    Options
    Lol! I can relate to all of these! especially when ppl don't put equipment away. I end up doing it in a huff just so I can workout In My happy place.

But funny thing was I wasn't grunting... It was weights dropping. NOT THROWING THEM! I wish I would have thought of the osteoporosis line!!! Classic :)

To be honest though, I do think its a little rude/weird when people always drop their weights after a set and it makes a crazy loud boom. I always think, if its too heavy for you to put down maybe you should go lighter? Lol I guess its to each their own huh?
    I would never say that to someone though. Its asking for bachi/karma and I would not want anyone treating my family member or me that way.

but it's called weight LIFTING not weight PUTTING DOWN :laugh:

at my regular gym, i drop my weights only when i work with dumbbells or the actual weight plates since they are smaller and wont damage the weight plates. it' almost always when i'm doing something like a tumminello complex where i'm doing a bunch a different exercise with the 25 pound weight plate for time. i'd never drop the barbell though because they only have the harder weight plates

at my crossfit gym i drop weights all the time but that's because 1) they use the cool rubber ones that bounce and 2)after you've 30 cleans and presses putting that mess down in a lady like fashion is the last thing on your mind

Lol. I swear though, some people at my gym (normally guys) do it on purpose in addition to a loud burst of energetic whooping or noise. I feel like they just want attention! I can understand the fatigue thing though.

I think it's a way to draw attention... when guy's or anyone makes over-loud dropping of weights or grunts... There are signs on the mirrors surrounding the weights-area that ask patrons to not drop weights on the floor... but there's always that one guy that tries to show off and fein not noticing the signs printed on yellow and green paper >_<

Yep. considering every time the dumbbells are dropped tiny cracks are worn into them and you will then need new ones after years of dropping constantly - and someone even broke the mirror the other day /: watch what you're doing people. geez.
  • Tempe729
    Tempe729 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Well the one thing that makes me really irritated and has become somewhat of a trend at my gym lately is when people come in dressed in regular street clothes *WITH FOOD* (last time it was ice cream and a bag of chips I believe) and sit on the weight machines to watch tv. :noway:

First off there is a pretty hard to miss sign declaring NO FOOD on the door to get in. and secondly work out or GTFO!!! It is a gym not your f**king living room!!! Last Sunday it was some couple who came in to watch the Walking Dead. ._. okay it is a good show and all but really -_- (my apartment building has a gym)

And then of course when you ask em to move they get all pissy at you. oh sorry for interrupting your show!! :mad:

OHHHHHHHH and another fun trend is when people decide to bring their young children to the gym. :grumble: Again right by that cute little NO FOOD sign there is also a "no persons under 18 yo is permitted" Yet still there are times when people bring in like 4 of their kids who are like 5-9 years old and they're just everywhere!! That isn't safe! >_<

This has been happening to me too at my new place! (apartment complex gym and all)

Only I wouldn't mind "Walking Dead" better then "Hoarders" or whatever football game is playing... cranked up loud too... but there's a gal that brings her 5-year-old son in... she didn't know how to change the weights on the machine or work the treadmill... so admist the little kid running around trying to play on/with the equipment the mother kept asking for help with all the machines (normally I wouldn't mind doing) while her little boy was playing in there like a playground...
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    My one big beef lately is with the lifter guys who don't use collars. This isn't your private gym, so if you're looking for the option to dump the weights for your personal safety reasons over those of others, tough cookies: get yourself a spotter. I don't give two crap about some Little Barbie Lightweight with 10 lb plates loaded on either side of the olympic bar, but given the cramped quarters, if these guys tip enough (and I have seen them teetering), they could wind up dumping some seriously heavy plates onto the legs of someone working nearby... to the point where they break bones. I have asked nicely for them to use collars, and I get some whiney-*kitten* reply that "Nnnn! It's too haaaard to use the collars! They're too crappy and stiiiiifff!"

Yes, well, I know... they're a bit rusty and old, and they're the cheap spring collars... but guess who still uses them every. single. time! Guess who volunteers to put them on for these guys herself! Seriously, I want to shout at them, "I use them, and I'm a girl!... so if you don't think you're as strong as a girl, then by all meeeeaaaans, don't use the collars." Alternately, I'd love to say, "What, your grip strength isn't strong enough for them? I could've sworn otherwise, you wanker."

Thankfully, due to my lobbying, one of the local rec centres has ordered 4 pairs of lockjaws.
  • leopardjunkie
    Options
    Ok I don"t the general gym squabbles as I am one of a few in there in the insomnia crew...but

If you are working out behind someone at midnight and your work out includes a gas mask to limit oxygen...please just a hey heads up i am not crazy would suffices so i don"t have to go to the bathroom grab the personal alarm neckalce and wonder WTF while you breath like darth vader for 60 minutes!! Untill I can get home google it and figure out if you planned to kill me in the parking lot of if there is a valid reason for your gas mask...which there was. But at midnight it is creepy as F and deserves a courtosy "i am not crazy" heads up.

Gym shorts are crazy cheep at walmart and So are shirts...It is also creepy when you come at midnight and Don"t change into work out attire instead just wear street clothes. For all i know you have a guest pass and are a creeper so why would you need to buy gym clothes. Plus seriously for like $10 or less you have a work out outfit. Just saying wearing jean shorts and a polo shirt to the gym is the same as wearing cut offs to the water park...just a little weird. just saying.

pick up your wash cloth from wiping the machines...ack!!! seriosuly they are everywhere and put the heavy weights back on the rack, I wish i could lift them but I can"t
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Well the one thing that makes me really irritated and has become somewhat of a trend at my gym lately is when people come in dressed in regular street clothes *WITH FOOD* (last time it was ice cream and a bag of chips I believe) and sit on the weight machines to watch tv. :noway:

First off there is a pretty hard to miss sign declaring NO FOOD on the door to get in. and secondly work out or GTFO!!! It is a gym not your f**king living room!!! Last Sunday it was some couple who came in to watch the Walking Dead. ._. okay it is a good show and all but really -_- (my apartment building has a gym)

And then of course when you ask em to move they get all pissy at you. oh sorry for interrupting your show!! :mad:

OHHHHHHHH and another fun trend is when people decide to bring their young children to the gym. :grumble: Again right by that cute little NO FOOD sign there is also a "no persons under 18 yo is permitted" Yet still there are times when people bring in like 4 of their kids who are like 5-9 years old and they're just everywhere!! That isn't safe! >_<

This has been happening to me too at my new place! (apartment complex gym and all)

Only I wouldn't mind "Walking Dead" better then "Hoarders" or whatever football game is playing... cranked up loud too... but there's a gal that brings her 5-year-old son in... she didn't know how to change the weights on the machine or work the treadmill... so admist the little kid running around trying to play on/with the equipment the mother kept asking for help with all the machines (normally I wouldn't mind doing) while her little boy was playing in there like a playground...

oh yeah like I said at least this time it was a good show hahah :laugh: It sucks when the football games are on cuz on top of them just sitting there on all the equipment there is also usually a lot of yelling involved >_< I can't even secretly hope they win so they'll shush cuz even then they yell lol!
    oh wow!! See that just isn't good to have a young kid like that at a gym!! Def not safe for them and also kinda rude to rely on other people to babysit for yah!
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Options
    No seeing red moments for me...............just see opportunity.............maybe it helps that my gym is small and cozy. Not your typical gym, a pretty low volume of people come in and out...............and it's actually pretty darn relaxing..........seriously, they serve beer, wine, soda, gatorade, and pizza makes it's way into the gym once or twice a week.................we have potluck days...........leather couch's................I love it..................and no, I don't indulge myself(food,beer) but I think it's pretty cool it's happening in the GYM!

Sorry to hear that you got grandma's telling you how much to lift :(

Just started scrolling up, and saw a quote about someone complaining about street clothes and ice cream..............we have ice cream too, get over it, your not eating it!
  • anels449
    anels449 Posts: 3,187 Member
    Options
    People going through the wrong side of the door either coming in or out of the locker room. I mean, really, read the sign and don't get mad at me when the door smacks you in the face. >.<
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    For me, its people walking on the treadmills. Due to high volume there are 20 minute time limits on the cardio equipment when people are waiting. I hate getting in line for a treadmill and the people on them are walking and well over the 20 minute mark.

Maybe they have an injury which means they can't run?

Im sorry, I phrased that badly. I didn't mean just that they're walking but that they're walking over the time limit when people are waiting in line to get on a machine. Whats stopping them from walking around the gym or outdoors if they want a longer walk or to get back in line with everyone else so they arent abusing the time limit. I am more understanding of the people who are running. You cant really run around the perimeter of the gym and our city is very hilly so if you are doing lots of miles (will go over 20 minutes) its much more convenient to do it on the treadmill than outside.
  • vaughny
    vaughny Posts: 145
    Options
    Whoever turns on the food network while I am doing cardio...
  • Izzii0x
    Izzii0x Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh man, my gym is right next to a high school, and around 3:30-5pm every weekday it is INVESTED with 13-15 year olds sitting on the mats talking or walking 1mph for 3 minutes and then being like PHEW OMG THAT WORKOUT.

They all goto my old high school, and even the instructors get really angry telling them to move if they're not actually going to do anything.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Oh i forgot:

When teachers call me out in front of the work out class for looking at my watch. It's actually an HRM...
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    People wearing flip flops when working out. Not so much the actual footwear, its usually a very specific type of person

We all make noise at the gym, but grunting real loud is very annoying, the look at me, I need attention gunts
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Oh i forgot:

When teachers call me out in front of the work out class for looking at my watch. It's actually an HRM...

Tell them to F OFF

You paying lets not forget
  • wjkfloyd
    wjkfloyd Posts: 125
    Options
    Being in an empty gym, with tons of open equipment. Available machines in front of TVs (showing the same content) just 20-ft away, yet they get on the machine right next to you!!!

If I wanted a stalker, I would exercise on Facebook.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    one of my fav's is when some one sits on the exercise bike for an hour sweating all to hell then gets up leaving a ton of *kitten* sweat on the seat and doesnt wipe it off...thats just nasty!!!

Oh, and the 5 foot nothing ,100 and nothing wanna be powerlifter takes up the squat rack doing 45 pound barbell curls...really dude?? get outta the way so real men can use the big boy toys!!